Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Lords of Waterdeep Board Game
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 6

Therise
Master of Realmslore

1272 Posts

Posted - 14 Oct 2011 :  04:05:59  Show Profile Send Therise a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dark Wizard

It's in the product catalog.

http://www.wizards.com/DnD/Product.aspx?x=dnd/products/dndacc/388510000

I'm looking forward to this. A friend recently became interesting board games. Might be a good chance to share something new and hang out besides the usual overpriced movie and comic/book store window shopping on a lazy Sunday.

Right, but is that the only pic?

Female, 40-year DM of a homebrew-evolved 1E Realms, including a few added tidbits of 2E and 3E lore; played originally in AD&D, then in Rolemaster. Be a DM for your kids and grandkids, gaming is excellent for families!
Go to Top of Page

Tyrant
Senior Scribe

USA
586 Posts

Posted - 18 Oct 2011 :  20:00:08  Show Profile  Visit Tyrant's Homepage Send Tyrant a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I didn't think this needed a seperate topic because so far it's only a listing on Amazon (with details though), but I found this while I was searching Amazon earlier. Halls of Undermountain. It's listed as a boardgame, but it sounds more like an RPG adventure with miniatures and tokens included in the description.

Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken. The Force shall free me.
-The Sith Code

Teenage Sith zombies, Tulkh thought-how in the moons of Bogden had it all started? Every so often, the universe must just get bored and decide to really cut loose. -Star Wars: Red Harvest
Go to Top of Page

smerwin29
Acolyte

USA
32 Posts

Posted - 19 Oct 2011 :  20:19:55  Show Profile Send smerwin29 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tyrant

I didn't think this needed a seperate topic because so far it's only a listing on Amazon (with details though), but I found this while I was searching Amazon earlier. Halls of Undermountain. It's listed as a boardgame, but it sounds more like an RPG adventure with miniatures and tokens included in the description.

It is an RPG product, but let's just say the product description does not contain the most recent (or correct) description of what the product actually is. I don't want to talk about it until someone at Wizards gives me the AOK, but I have made them aware the product description is incorrect, and hopefully it will get fixed.

Shawn
Go to Top of Page

Garen Thal
Master of Realmslore

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 13 Jan 2012 :  14:30:38  Show Profile  Visit Garen Thal's Homepage Send Garen Thal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Updated information and photo in this month's In the Works column over at Wizards.com.

Check it out here.
Go to Top of Page

_Jarlaxle_
Senior Scribe

Germany
584 Posts

Posted - 13 Jan 2012 :  14:50:04  Show Profile Send _Jarlaxle_ a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On the boardgamegeek site I linked earlier you can see more photos now too.

I'm definatly looking forward for this

Edit:
If someone uses twitter this could be interesting too:
http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/749466/waterdeep-wednesdays

Edited by - _Jarlaxle_ on 13 Jan 2012 14:52:48
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 13 Jan 2012 :  15:03:52  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I can't wait for these glimpses of the rulebook!

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 13 Jan 2012 :  17:34:19  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's looking delightful. Funny how Rodney Thompson's come from swrpgnetwork.com to working on the Star Wars Roleplaying Game and now to the Realms.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 14 Jan 2012 :  01:38:47  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Faraer

It's looking delightful. Funny how Rodney Thompson's come from swrpgnetwork.com to working on the Star Wars Roleplaying Game and now to the Realms.

Thompson had a hand in d20 Modern development as well, with d20 Future and Future Tech, along with 3e D&D also, with Dragon Magic.

Go to Top of Page

Kilvan
Senior Scribe

Canada
894 Posts

Posted - 14 Jan 2012 :  02:44:40  Show Profile Send Kilvan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm so excited about this, I'm a huge fan of german-styled gameboard (cause that's what it seems to be). Reading about it, the game looks like a variant of Puerto Rico, but then again, half the boardgames since Puerto Rico is like Puerto Rico!

Thanks Wizards, good move!

Edited by - Kilvan on 14 Jan 2012 03:12:55
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 02 Feb 2012 :  13:57:53  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This is what Ghostrider had to say about THE LORDS OF WATERDEEP GAME:

quote:
I got a chance to play Lords of Waterdeep at DDXP this past weekend (3 player game). Wow, it's awesome. I can't wait to get a copy for myself.

Gameplay: I don't like Euro games or resource management games but loved this. It really has something for everyone in it. I was overwhelmed with the rules in game setup and expected to dislike it but after just a round of play it became second nature.

Feel: It is FILLED with FR lore. I spent time reading a lot of the flavor text when I wasn't planning my next move.

Packaging: Top notch. Everything has it's home so no more plastic baggies for me.

Price: As others have said $50 is a little high for wooden blocks. There is a lot of game pieces though and the excellent interior packaging is a bonus. I won't bat an eye about the price because I thik the game has a lot going for it.

Bonus: You can play with 2 players. I know the wife and I will be getting a lot of fun out of this game.

Taken from the WotC Boards.

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep

Edited by - Brimstone on 02 Feb 2012 13:59:32
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 02 Feb 2012 :  14:42:40  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I really don't care what the price tag is like. I'm buying this game!

Go to Top of Page

Dark Wizard
Senior Scribe

USA
830 Posts

Posted - 02 Feb 2012 :  21:01:59  Show Profile Send Dark Wizard a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Same here.

I recently got into Discworld: Ankh-Morpork with my old gaming group. We don't have time to meet up regularly for a tabletop RPG at the moment. Board games are a good alternative. I'm definitely adding Lords of Waterdeep it our growing line up.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 03 Feb 2012 :  01:30:07  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dark Wizard

Same here.

I recently got into Discworld: Ankh-Morpork with my old gaming group.
Ooo! What's it like? I've been wondering about whether I should buy that one myself.

I love DISCWORLD, but don't have many players in the area who have the same interest.

Go to Top of Page

Dark Wizard
Senior Scribe

USA
830 Posts

Posted - 03 Feb 2012 :  04:00:08  Show Profile Send Dark Wizard a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

Ooo! What's it like? I've been wondering about whether I should buy that one myself.

I love DISCWORLD, but don't have many players in the area who have the same interest.

I haven't read Discworld (blasphemy I know!). I gifted it to a friend for Christmas, he's a Discworld fan. Of course, then he needed people to play the game. We played several games, it was fun.

The randomness comes in the form of cards drawn. They are resources and actions players can expend. Some of the cards offer good rewards, but also consequences. In this case, all the major event trouble makers are wizards from Unseen University.

I'm not too familiar with 'Eurogames' but Discworld: Ankh-Morpork fits the description, resource management with wooden tokens/markers and event and action cards. The criticism may also hold true, the rules feel a bit grafted on. If we changed the names and map, the game would play virtually the same. I could play with the Ankh-Morpork rules on a map of Waterdeep, fudge a few names, and it would still work.

Ankh-Morpork is much like the description of Lords of Waterdeep. Each player draws one card from the Personalities deck. Each character card has a goal the player must accomplish to win the game, this is kept secret from the other players. Some of the goals play very different from the others. Players manage their resources to accomplish their given goal, typically control X number of city area or accumulate points. Some cards disrupt other players or their minions.

I would recommend it, but if you're getting Lords of Waterdeep, DW:AM likely plays very similar from what I read of the upcoming game. I'll have to play LoW to see.

Edited by - Dark Wizard on 03 Feb 2012 04:09:37
Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 03 Feb 2012 :  18:50:23  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The pre-order price on Amazon has dropped to $31.49* in the US. Not that you shouldn't support your FLGS and buy it there if you can afford it, but for those who cannot afford it, maybe this price will work better for you.

*Amazon gives you the lowest pre-order price that occurs after you place your order. So if you order now and it drops lower, then you will get it at the lower price; but if you wait to order and the price goes up, then you will end up paying the higher price. Also, you can cancel a pre-order as long as you do so before they ship it. =)

Errant d20 Designer - My Blog (last updated January 06, 2016)

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back. --Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Reference Document (PFRPG OGL Rules)
* The Hypertext d20 SRD (3.5 OGL Rules)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Heroes of the Jade Oath (PFRPG, conversion; Rite Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Martial Arts Guidebook (forthcoming) (PFRPG, designer; Rite Publishing)
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 03 Feb 2012 :  21:36:32  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hawkins

The pre-order price on Amazon has dropped to $31.49* in the US. Not that you shouldn't support your FLGS and buy it there if you can afford it, but for those who cannot afford it, maybe this price will work better for you.

*Amazon gives you the lowest pre-order price that occurs after you place your order. So if you order now and it drops lower, then you will get it at the lower price; but if you wait to order and the price goes up, then you will end up paying the higher price. Also, you can cancel a pre-order as long as you do so before they ship it. =)

Thanks for the link! I was iffy about buying a $50 board game sight unseen...

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 03 Feb 2012 :  21:46:04  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am still on the fence about it. I think I need to bring it up to my wife. If it is out of my personal funds (stuff from freelancing, small work bonuses, and similar such things), then I cannot afford it. But if I can sell her on us buying it for our family, then I can probably get it.

Errant d20 Designer - My Blog (last updated January 06, 2016)

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back. --Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Reference Document (PFRPG OGL Rules)
* The Hypertext d20 SRD (3.5 OGL Rules)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Heroes of the Jade Oath (PFRPG, conversion; Rite Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Martial Arts Guidebook (forthcoming) (PFRPG, designer; Rite Publishing)
Go to Top of Page

Mumadar Ibn Huzal
Master of Realmslore

1338 Posts

Posted - 03 Feb 2012 :  21:50:22  Show Profile Send Mumadar Ibn Huzal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmm... this might be the first WotC product I am likely to buy in many years (Grand History of the Realms was the last one, and that was shortly after it was published...)

I love Catan and a bunch of other boardgames and this might make the FR acceptance by my significant other half a little easier since she also loves Catan & co
Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 03 Feb 2012 :  21:53:55  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Seems kind of expensive to me. I'll have a gander at the boardgame geek link from earlier in the scroll.

Look for me and my content at EN World (user name: sanishiver).
Go to Top of Page

Dark Wizard
Senior Scribe

USA
830 Posts

Posted - 03 Feb 2012 :  23:06:17  Show Profile Send Dark Wizard a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The price seems consistent with similar games such as WotC's other D&D based board games or even Discworld: Ankh-Morpork. Though I suppose it really depends on how often you will play it.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 04 Feb 2012 :  02:03:13  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hawkins

Neat. And with the current USD/AUD exchange rate, I'll probably be able to order it for around the same price.

Go to Top of Page

Tyrant
Senior Scribe

USA
586 Posts

Posted - 04 Feb 2012 :  03:43:51  Show Profile  Visit Tyrant's Homepage Send Tyrant a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I ended up pre-ordering it off Amazon. As for the price, it seems to be in line with European style board games like Settlers of Catan. Look at some of the Fantasy Flight Games if you want to see expensive.

Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken. The Force shall free me.
-The Sith Code

Teenage Sith zombies, Tulkh thought-how in the moons of Bogden had it all started? Every so often, the universe must just get bored and decide to really cut loose. -Star Wars: Red Harvest
Go to Top of Page

Caolin
Senior Scribe

768 Posts

Posted - 04 Feb 2012 :  03:49:36  Show Profile Send Caolin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jeremy Grenemyer

Seems kind of expensive to me. I'll have a gander at the boardgame geek link from earlier in the scroll.

The price point is exactly where most of the euro style games are at. I'm pretty stoked about it but I am trying not to get too excited. Euro style games are known for their complexity and balance so there is a high bar that's been set by games like Caylus, Agricola, and Puerto Rico. I'm hoping the designers did their homework and used these games as inspiration.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 20 Feb 2012 :  17:38:28  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So as someone posted earlier, there is now a download of the rulebook for the game, located here. I glanced thru it, and two things immediately jumped out at me...

One is that the named Lords are those named in City of Splendors: Waterdeep. This I find rather interesting -- I would have expected them to go with the Lords in the 4E Realms, not those from prior editions. I'm quite happy to see the Lords I am familiar with -- and some of y'all likely already know how much of a fan I am of Waterdeep's unique governmental system (cryptocracy?).

The other thing is that apparently no one actually looked at any of the prior artwork, because Kyriani does not and has never looked like a drow. Even though she is half-drow, she has always looked like a regular half-elf. Her unique background sets her apart that way: other half-drow (like Shindia Darkeyes, who also had a brief appearance in the comics) do look like drow.

So I'm happy about the Lords they picked, and irked that once more, prior art and information about a character was ignored.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 20 Feb 2012 17:40:10
Go to Top of Page

Kilvan
Senior Scribe

Canada
894 Posts

Posted - 20 Feb 2012 :  18:11:05  Show Profile Send Kilvan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

The other thing is that apparently no one actually looked at any of the prior artwork, because Kyriani does not and has never looked like a drow. Even though she is half-drow, she has always looked like a regular half-elf. Her unique background sets her apart that way: other half-drow (like Shindia Darkeyes, who also had a brief appearance in the comics) do look like drow.

Maybe they did take her prior appearance into consideration, but decided a fully flesh dark elf would sell more. A drow that helps sell stuff, where did they get that idea?

I'll be looking at the ruleset soon.
Go to Top of Page

Kilvan
Senior Scribe

Canada
894 Posts

Posted - 20 Feb 2012 :  18:23:20  Show Profile Send Kilvan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A quick look is enough to realize that it is heavily inspired by Caylus, which is my favorite game (and I've played many). Heck, they use the same tokens and resources blocks.

This cannot suck, I can't wait.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 20 Feb 2012 :  18:51:18  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kilvan

quote:

Maybe they did take her prior appearance into consideration, but decided a fully flesh dark elf would sell more. A drow that helps sell stuff, where did they get that idea?

I'll be looking at the ruleset soon.

Since the return of Aumanator, his church has branched-out with their services...

They now offer 'tanning Beds' in their day-spas.

Obviously, Kyriani has availed herself of these new services, during her 'down time'.

Maybe I should have put this is in the 'create FR lore' thread.

Anyhow, haven't read through this entire thread, but knowing the time-frame its set in, I now plan to purchase it (vote with your wallets people!)

Whats the premise? Has anyone tried it yet? Reviews?

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 20 Feb 2012 18:52:46
Go to Top of Page

Matt James
Forgotten Realms Game Designer

USA
918 Posts

Posted - 20 Feb 2012 :  18:59:32  Show Profile Send Matt James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've played it a bunch and it's a fun game. You utilize resources to advance and attempt to the win the game. You dedicate spies/agents/people to parts of the city in order to build up resource to accomplish specific quests. Once completed, you can do other things. It's hard to explain in detail, but the recently released rulebook should help. There are a couple strategies for winning the game, so it is fairly dynamic.
Go to Top of Page

Dark Wizard
Senior Scribe

USA
830 Posts

Posted - 20 Feb 2012 :  22:11:50  Show Profile Send Dark Wizard a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

So as someone posted earlier, there is now a download of the rulebook for the game, located here. I glanced thru it, and two things immediately jumped out at me...

One is that the named Lords are those named in City of Splendors: Waterdeep. This I find rather interesting -- I would have expected them to go with the Lords in the 4E Realms, not those from prior editions. I'm quite happy to see the Lords I am familiar with -- and some of y'all likely already know how much of a fan I am of Waterdeep's unique governmental system (cryptocracy?).

Some will say I'm reading too much into it, but I think the use of classic Realms named Lords shows which version is more famous, well-established, and distinct. Love or hate the classic Realms, it's far better branded by default of decades of activity than anything WotC can put out in 4-5 short years.

In a way classic Realms is like the Old Testament. Any time Hollywood makes a movie about Moses and the Exodus or Noah and the Flood, most of the three related religions, various denominations, and many people just curious about the story will go to the cinema for a viewing. Each period removed and we start to reach a narrower and narrower base and arguably a more controversial, sensitive topic.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 21 Feb 2012 :  01:24:46  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

It could simply be that this is because the Lords of prior editions are those we are all "intimately" more familiar with. And given the popularity of Waterdeep over the last twenty years -- as both a setting for novels and game products... it might have just seemed like the most appropriate choice.

Regardless, I'm encouraged by this news as well. And not because I don't like the set-up for Waterdeep and the Lords in the post-Spellplague period. Rather, I'm just keen on the notion of playing and plotting with the classic Lords, as they engage in cryptocratic-warfare. [Sorry, Wooly got me started. ]

Edited by - The Sage on 21 Feb 2012 01:26:08
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000