Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Realms from Beyond
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 08 Aug 2011 :  08:36:09  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic

For the next Realms of X anthology, how about we have Realms from Beyond, featuring aboleths, mind flayers, sharn, the phaerimm, mephits, nighthaunts, the githvyriks, and all other aberrations and outsiders, delving into their origins, their inner and inter-racial wars, their foray into the Prime, and their goals?

Every beginning has an end.

Kno
Senior Scribe

452 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2011 :  09:36:31  Show Profile Send Kno a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd like a story about invasions inside the FR crystal sphere, for example a Reigar technological weapon threat

z455t
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2011 :  14:12:54  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

That could work, even though it would appear Eberron-ish.

Go to Top of Page

AdamBridger
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
118 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2011 :  15:25:26  Show Profile Send AdamBridger a Private Message  Reply with Quote
How about an anthology of short stories that cover the gap between the 3rd version and 4th version of Dungeons and Dragons?
A few short stories to shed some light on the missing 104 years which could create a perfect jumping on point for lapsed readers.
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2011 :  15:29:44  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

That's been raised by fans for a million times ever since the inception of 4E. I don't know if WotC ever listens.

Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2011 :  15:32:26  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I personally would like and anthology titled Realms of Abeir, along with a Realms of covering the years between 3.x and 4e. These are two things that I do no think are better left unexplained. Though I do like the idea of Realms of the Beyond as well.

Errant d20 Designer - My Blog (last updated January 06, 2016)

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back. --Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Reference Document (PFRPG OGL Rules)
* The Hypertext d20 SRD (3.5 OGL Rules)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Heroes of the Jade Oath (PFRPG, conversion; Rite Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Martial Arts Guidebook (forthcoming) (PFRPG, designer; Rite Publishing)
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2011 :  15:42:44  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Realms of Abeir sounds good. I'd prefer it to have an extra stress on the Primordials.

Go to Top of Page

AdamBridger
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
118 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2011 :  15:42:51  Show Profile Send AdamBridger a Private Message  Reply with Quote
One thing I have noticed about recent Realms Of series is that they appear to be companion anthologies to series WotC release - e.g Realms of the Dead, Realms of the Elves, Realms of the Dragons and Realms of War.

What series recently released and planned for future release do you think would benefit from one of these companion anthologies?

Edited by - AdamBridger on 10 Aug 2011 15:43:23
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2011 :  16:16:52  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

They should have released this kind of anthology during The Abolethic Sovereignty by Bruce R. Cordell.

Go to Top of Page

AdamBridger
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
118 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2011 :  16:24:09  Show Profile Send AdamBridger a Private Message  Reply with Quote
They released Realms of the Dead about 1 year after the 3rd book in the series Unholy. Is it too late for a companion anthology to The Abolethic Sovereignty to be published?
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2011 :  16:33:52  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by AdamBridger

They released Realms of the Dead about 1 year after the 3rd book in the series Unholy. Is it too late for a companion anthology to The Abolethic Sovereignty to be published?

If they can publish it this year, no, it won't be too late, since Key of Stars was published September last year.

Go to Top of Page

AdamBridger
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
118 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2011 :  17:57:38  Show Profile Send AdamBridger a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Its most probably too late then to publish it this year. Maybe early next year if they were to really push for it.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2011 :  02:00:09  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dennis

quote:

If they can publish it this year, no, it won't be too late, since Key of Stars was published September last year.

That would've been an intriguing supplement for Bruce's trilogy -- because there were a number of interesting little tidbits in those books that could easily serve for greater exploration via an anthology.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2011 :  06:54:40  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:

quote:

That would've been an intriguing supplement for Bruce's trilogy -- because there were a number of interesting little tidbits in those books that could easily serve for greater exploration via an anthology.

I don't know what's their policy on publishing anthologies, but it appears like they limit it to one per year. For this year, there's Bob's Best of the Realms. But yes, Realms from Beyond would have made a great supplement for Bruce's novels.

I also notice that the trilogies that usually have supplementary anthologies are the RSE-types: Realms of the Dead, Realms of the Deep, Realms of Shadow...

Go to Top of Page

Kno
Senior Scribe

452 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2011 :  14:09:43  Show Profile Send Kno a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If it is RSE's then maybe Wizards release Realms of the Abyssal Plague

z455t
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 22 Aug 2011 :  08:28:43  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kno

If it is RSE's then maybe Wizards release Realms of the Abyssal Plague

Technically, The Abyssal Plague is not an FR-exclusive trilogy. Only one of the novels is set in the Realms. If they're going to publish its supplementary anthology, they would most likely also include stories from the other settings. Which isn't bad.

--------------

I'd like to see the world where Vhostym came from, and if possible, meet his siblings, too.

Go to Top of Page

canikoblivan
Acolyte

Turkey
43 Posts

Posted - 22 Aug 2011 :  12:46:28  Show Profile  Visit canikoblivan's Homepage Send canikoblivan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would definitely read it, there are so many things that needs to be explored deeper in the Sovereignty trilogy.
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 22 Aug 2011 :  12:56:23  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

It's nice to know there are many who want it, too. Hopefully more would voice their assent. Who knows, WotC might be listening...

Go to Top of Page

AdamBridger
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
118 Posts

Posted - 22 Aug 2011 :  14:59:38  Show Profile Send AdamBridger a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Technically, The Abyssal Plague is not an FR-exclusive trilogy. Only one of the novels is set in the Realms. If they're going to publish its supplementary anthology, they would most likely also include stories from the other settings. Which isn't bad.

I'd read it as well. It might also tempt readers from one setting to try other settings - which I guess is the partly the point of The Abyssal Plague anyway. As someone who has only read Forgotten Realms but heard of Dragonlance, Eberon etc in the back of FR books it could provide an excellent jumping on point for me.
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 22 Aug 2011 :  15:17:19  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

And the best way to do that is to feature some of the iconic characters from each setting, or at the very least, the most requested realm/city/country.

Go to Top of Page

AdamBridger
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
118 Posts

Posted - 22 Aug 2011 :  15:39:59  Show Profile Send AdamBridger a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

And the best way to do that is to feature some of the iconic characters from each setting, or at the very least, the most requested realm/city/country.

Key/Iconic locations may be more practical/affordable than having a book completely filled with the best selling authors. However, if WotC were serious about encouraging greater cross-brand purchasing then the extra expenese on the most recognisable authors might be worth it.
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 22 Aug 2011 :  17:38:36  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Oh. I think WotC would most likely have their bestselling authors write something. They've been doing that. In FR alone, there's hardly a Realms of X anthology that has no RAS story in it.

Go to Top of Page

AdamBridger
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
118 Posts

Posted - 22 Aug 2011 :  17:53:04  Show Profile Send AdamBridger a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Oh. I think WotC would most likely have their bestselling authors write something. They've been doing that. In FR alone, there's hardly a Realms of X anthology that has no RAS story in it.

Normally the Realms of anthologies have 1-2 bestselling authors, a couple of established authors and a couple of relative newcomers. To have an anthology with only bestselling authors would most probably be cost prohibitive.
Go to Top of Page

Eltheron
Senior Scribe

740 Posts

Posted - 22 Aug 2011 :  18:32:55  Show Profile Send Eltheron a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No offense meant to those who love them, but I hate Far Realms aberrations with a murderous passion. There were two reasons why the Far Realms were made, and IMO both of them utterly failed. The first one is that people thought it would be fun to have something Cthulhu-esque brought in for different stories. On the surface, that sounds good, but in practice it really doesn't. Much of the horror of Cthulhu depends on the protagonists being normal people with no special abilities. In the Realms, if you can cast lightning bolts or if you have a magic sword in hand, that "terror" just turns into another monster to fight for xp.

The second reason was because TSR watered down devils and demons in 2nd Edition SO much that they really weren't all that scary. But ultimately, their replacement with aberrations of bizarre appearance ended up being just another kind of monster. People wanted them to be inscrutable, madness-causing, terrible horrors, but they just never were.

The Abolethic Sovereignty should have had scary, horrific monsters in it. But it was just not that good, at all. The middle book was fairly interesting, but nothing about the series as a whole was even remotely scary; the first and third books were a major letdown. Some of the protagonists were compelling, but their overpowered epicness made the monsters a joke, really. For something supposed to have Lovecraftian themes, it certainly didn't work that way.

So I have less than zero interest in seeing more aberrations.

"The very best possible post-fourteenth-century Realms lets down those who love the specific, detailed social, political and magical situation, with its thousands of characters, developed over forty years, and want to learn more about it; and those who'd be open to a new one with equal depth, which there just isn't time to re-produce; and those repelled, some past the point of no return, by the bad-taste-and-plausibility gap of things done to the world when its guardianship was less careful."
--Faraer

Edited by - Eltheron on 22 Aug 2011 18:42:15
Go to Top of Page

Quale
Master of Realmslore

1757 Posts

Posted - 23 Aug 2011 :  11:21:38  Show Profile Send Quale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The aberration anthology is probably the last I'd pick. Somewhere around the Realms of Drow or Dragons, the Spellplague or any other similar plague.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 23 Aug 2011 :  11:48:40  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I, too, have no interest in aberrations. I like my Cthulhu and my fantasy to stay separate, and I think there's enough threats in a fantasy world without having to reach for something from beyond time and space.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 23 Aug 2011 :  16:48:47  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Quale

The aberration anthology is probably the last I'd pick. Somewhere around the Realms of Drow or Dragons, the Spellplague or any other similar plague.
You do realize that there are actually two Realms of the Dragons (I & II) don't you?

Errant d20 Designer - My Blog (last updated January 06, 2016)

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back. --Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Reference Document (PFRPG OGL Rules)
* The Hypertext d20 SRD (3.5 OGL Rules)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Heroes of the Jade Oath (PFRPG, conversion; Rite Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Martial Arts Guidebook (forthcoming) (PFRPG, designer; Rite Publishing)
Go to Top of Page

AdamBridger
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
118 Posts

Posted - 23 Aug 2011 :  17:42:51  Show Profile Send AdamBridger a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hawkins

You do realize that there are actually two Realms of the Dragons (I & II) don't you?

Unfortunately for me the fact that there was a Realms of the Dragons II confused a large number of retailers in the UK who didn't see that there was a difference from the 1st book and as such didn't stock or even list it.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 23 Aug 2011 :  18:04:22  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Unfortunately for me the fact that there was a Realms of the Dragons II confused a large number of retailers in the UK who didn't see that there was a difference from the 1st book and as such didn't stock or even list it.

Seriously? The number II didn't clue them in?

Man, movie sequels must bomb in the UK...

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 24 Aug 2011 :  06:53:29  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

I don't treat the aboleths as horror-inspiring creatures, but just another kind of nasty monsters. Horror and fantasy had already merged a long time ago and became a new genre, or sub-genre, but as always, one is more dominant than the other. Some of Stephen King's novels convey elements of fantasy, but horror dominates the themes all the time. As for FR fiction, the few elements of horror that "dark" novels carry are but secondary; they are first and foremost fantasy. I see nothing wrong with that.

Go to Top of Page

AdamBridger
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
118 Posts

Posted - 24 Aug 2011 :  14:34:28  Show Profile Send AdamBridger a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

quote:

Seriously? The number II didn't clue them in?

Man, movie sequels must bomb in the UK...

Even the sequel to Unbroken Chain confused Amazon for quite a long time.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000