Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Vryloka in the realms
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 08 Aug 2011 :  15:28:14  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Page 138 in Unappraochable East mentions Rashemi Nobles. In days of old, young Rashemi Nobles made the dajemma to visit strange lands, slaying horrible monsters and wicked warlords, but now it is an exercise in drinking and sightseeing.

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep

Edited by - Brimstone on 08 Aug 2011 15:40:38
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 08 Aug 2011 :  15:35:39  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Page 140 of the same tome again mentions Rashemi Nobles. (Usually men and women born of powerful and influential beserkers) who undertake dangerous quests to prove their fitness and courage.

So a family of beserkers that turn to evil, maybe?

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep

Edited by - Brimstone on 08 Aug 2011 15:42:04
Go to Top of Page

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1621 Posts

Posted - 04 Mar 2013 :  08:38:55  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Vryloka's aren't really half vampires, they're more akin to Vampire: The Requiem's ghouls, which hav no relation to dnd ghouls. These ghouls are mortals infused with a portion of a vampires power, able to use Vampiric powers, but are still mortal, can have childern.

Vryloka aren't connected to any particular vampire and they seem to keep thier distance from actual vampires, which is clear deference with White Wolf's ghouls. The Vryloka have far more autonomy.

In someways they are vampire like at all. They feel emotions and can breed. They can go out in day light. They have the utility power to turn into a small flying creature, although if you read the power most Vryloka don't choose a bat, they don't like how that associates them with vampires. Also the red hair seems to further seperate them from gothic vampires.

In fact a Vryloka could live a pretty normal life if she so choose to not use her shadow powers. And nothing says that Vryloka are a particularly evil race, they just did something in the past that left them tainted by something. Outside the realms most worship the Raven Queen, whose unaligned, not evil
They were just driven fron thier homeland by the ignorant, who feared them by association.

I'd love to see the Vryloka in a forgotten realms novel, I think they have the potential to be so much more then just puersaudo vampires.

They already had a Vryloka Sorceress from Chondath as a pregenerated character for some sort of organizee play and its legal in the LFR.

Oh side note they can used thier power to resurrect anyone, not just humans.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 04 Mar 2013 :  17:52:23  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So they seem to be more like the modern/Underworld version of vampires (a self-procreating race) then the traditional 'dead' ones. They are flavored more like people with some sort of strange hereditary disease (that also happens to give a few super-powers in the bargain).

It doesn't seem like you need to do much 'converting' - I'd just use them as-is. If it were me, I would just say that the 'Red Lady' was really Lilith, so the 'living vampire' thing would have some demonic origins.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 05 Mar 2013 00:53:16
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4430 Posts

Posted - 04 Mar 2013 :  19:11:20  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm thinking about making their ancestory originate from the Border Kingdoms, perhaps some large scale city that fell to a war with humanoids of the surrounding areas a few hundred years prior to the Spellplague. It has enough wiggle-room Canon wise to make sense since countries and cities fall in the Border Kingdoms quite often plus it gives their race a chance to move and repopluate in many areas of Faerûn.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 05 Mar 2013 :  01:05:11  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Its weird, because in my Homebrew setting (not the mish-mosh I am currently running), I connected vampirism with Shades in a way.

My Mæladrin are like Michael Moorcock's Melniboneans, except they are ALL like Elric (in looks and in health). Basically, their desire for more power lead them to merge with shadow-essence, and they became.... Shades! {ta-DAAA!}

So my Shades are a bunch of Elves that behave very badly, like a cross between Crown wars era Gold Elves and Drow. Fortunately, they are in decline and tend not to bother people too much (anymore).

The shadow-essence formula they used to alter their race was stolen (or sold-off by unscrupulous Mæladrin... and they are all unscrupulous) quite some time ago. However, it effects other races quite differently. It makes humans very ill, to the very brink of death... and beyond. The lucky ones just die. Most come back as some form of 'hungry dead' (zombies, ghouls, ghasts, wights, etc), but the rare few who survive with their mind intact become something very similar to what the Mæladrin did to themselves.. except they are living vampires (well... sort of 'half dead', like the Shades).

So if I were to use the 4e rules for my homebrew setting, I could use the Vryloka template as a basis for my own 'vampire lords' (I have a slavic-like region, where werebears can also be found).

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 05 Mar 2013 01:05:52
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000