Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Slaadi and Modron Cults/ Worshippers
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

jordanz
Senior Scribe

553 Posts

Posted - 20 Jul 2011 :  14:29:24  Show Profile  Visit jordanz's Homepage Send jordanz a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Do any exist? Does Primus recruit non Modron followers? Ditto for the top Slaadi Lords?

Edited by - jordanz on 20 Jul 2011 14:41:30

Kno
Senior Scribe

452 Posts

Posted - 20 Jul 2011 :  17:01:38  Show Profile Send Kno a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Acolytes of the Hidden Flame, they serve Bazim-Gorag

z455t
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 20 Jul 2011 :  18:12:36  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Who would worship a geometric shape with limbs?

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Eltheron
Senior Scribe

740 Posts

Posted - 20 Jul 2011 :  18:25:09  Show Profile Send Eltheron a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Who would worship a geometric shape with limbs?

Rubik.

"The very best possible post-fourteenth-century Realms lets down those who love the specific, detailed social, political and magical situation, with its thousands of characters, developed over forty years, and want to learn more about it; and those who'd be open to a new one with equal depth, which there just isn't time to re-produce; and those repelled, some past the point of no return, by the bad-taste-and-plausibility gap of things done to the world when its guardianship was less careful."
--Faraer
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2011 :  01:45:35  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd imagine Primus-worshipping cults among both modrons and non-modrons would be considerably rare.

As I recall, the web enhancement for the 3e Manual of the Planes notes that aside from the secundi, few are even aware of the existence of Primus.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7970 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2011 :  01:59:29  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Modron group "structures" are sometimes active in Sigil and elsewhere across the planes (supplying the PCs with some work), although these groups seem to have their own inscrutably mathematical missions and apparently have little or no desire to bother recruiting followers. When they do employ non-modrons the terms of association are exhaustively defined in rigid contracts you would need a computer programmer, logician, philosopher, and lawyer to figure out. Modrons tend to be so rare outside of Mechanus and neighbouring planes that I find it doubtful many would ever look to the Forgotten Realms ... in fact, the chaos-tainted Primes would likely be as incomprehensible, contrary, and hostile to modron conceptions of the universe as the Far Realms are to natives of the Realms.

I would be unsurprised if our worlds were only known to modrons as little more than properly indexed footnotes in some crosslinked cosmic database with their equivalents of "harmless" and "mostly harmless" appended.

I suppose the modron mindset is so programmed that simply conceiving the notion of followers in non-Lawful places like the Realms (or really, almost the entire cosmos outside of Mechanus) is nearly impossible. Modrons capable of any degree of indepedent thought or action defying their norm (such as Nordom Whistleklik) are invariably contaminated by contact with non-Law (ie, Chaos) and have no lasting authority within modron groups. Perhaps Primus and his immediate subordinates within the modron hierarchy are capable of acting more like individuals, even deities, though it seems equally likely that they are impossibly constrained by the uncompromising requirements of maintaining eternally perfect order.

Slaadi on the other hand are encountered here and there throughout the Realms with surprising frequency. I daresay it often seems like slaads are encountered almost as often as fiends. Every now and then some powerful (or mutated) slaad leads the pack ... so I would speculate that it's quite probable for some of them to have cultivated followers in the Realms. I'm not saying it would necessarily last very long. And assuming the established Faerūnian deities do not interfere, of course.

[/Ayrik]

Edited by - Ayrik on 21 Jul 2011 02:24:38
Go to Top of Page

jordanz
Senior Scribe

553 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2011 :  02:39:17  Show Profile  Visit jordanz's Homepage Send jordanz a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Arik

Slaadi on the other hand are encountered here and there throughout the Realms with surprising frequency. I daresay it often seems like slaads are encountered almost as often as fiends. Every now and then some powerful (or mutated) slaad leads the pack ... so I would speculate that it's quite probable for some of them to have cultivated followers in the Realms. I'm not saying it would necessarily last very long. And assuming the established Faerūnian deities do not interfere, of course.

Agreed, I could easily see some human and or demihuman Barbarian tribes following a particularly powerful Slaadi Lord....
Go to Top of Page

Bladewind
Master of Realmslore

Netherlands
1280 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2011 :  15:00:51  Show Profile Send Bladewind a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Elves have summoned powerful slaad lords in desperation for defence. The twoheaded Slaad Lord Bazim-Gorag, the Firebringer, helped the struggling realm of Rilithar in the North when it was confronted by a large horde of orcs and trolls led by a troll warlord. {See page 42 in GHotR and Champions of Ruin}

The other slaad lords have each a particular chaotic goal they try to achieve or spread, so anyone that participates in an activity that aims for their particular flavour of madness will get their attention.

1) Ssendam is the Lord of Madness. She is the oldest of the Lords of Chaos, manifesting as a golden amoeba.
- I can see Derro following this crazy entity and summoning him occasionally for 'advice'

2) Ygorl is the Lord of Entropy. He manifests as a black slaad or as a winged skeleton carrying a scythe.
- Some crazy cultists like the Karanok family in Chessenta that promote or worship entropy will definately get some attention from Ygorl

3) Bazim-Gorag is the two-headed Lord of Fire.
- As I mentioned some desperate souls try to summon this fiery 'loose cannon' and try to point him in the right direction

4) Chourst is the Lord of Randomness, manifesting as a white slaad. He once invaded Mechanus.
- Gamblers and some dice gamers might try to ascertain wisdom from Chourst's words. Some might seek him for tactical knowledge of the plane of Mechanus

5) No one knows what Wartle is the lord of. He's banished anyway, last seen in Mount Celestia of all places.
- Totally unguided fools might revere this one

6) Rennbuu is the Lord of Colors, appearing as a rainbow-colored slaad with an enormous mane of hair.
- Bards and artist displeased with the meddling of the Sunite clergy could definately turn to Rennbuu to 'revolutionize' art

My campaign sketches

Druidic Groves

Creature Feature: Giant Spiders

Edited by - Bladewind on 21 Jul 2011 15:03:27
Go to Top of Page

Bladewind
Master of Realmslore

Netherlands
1280 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2011 :  16:52:13  Show Profile Send Bladewind a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Of all the examples given in this thread I think Primus is the only one capable of granting divine spells. He is very self absorbed though, so he does so exclusively to his modron subordinates.

A realmsian planeswalker that has visited Mechanus or has seen one of the Great Modron Marches might have reason to start worshipping Primus. He could believe the exacting order Primus wants to create should be exported across the planes. Or psion with astral travel powers might have witnessed the device Primus is working on inside his cathedral (a ginormous needle like structure that's a perfect model for the multiverse). Most mortals that view it go partially insane, but plane savvy psions might have gained great respect for Primus in the Orrery's discovery.

Mechanus is called Nirvana by some sages, and so some believers in law and order might accidentaly give Primus worship indirectly. I think monks fit for this best. Monks ascend mortal forms when going epic, Nirvana fits as a concept for them and they also apply a certain mechanical order to the chaos of combat. The secundi modrons under Primus apear to mortals as monk-like metallic humans [think silver surfer] and share almost all of their abilities but are powerfull psionic clerics aswell.

My campaign sketches

Druidic Groves

Go to Top of Page

MrHedgehog
Senior Scribe

688 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2011 :  20:04:58  Show Profile  Visit MrHedgehog's Homepage Send MrHedgehog a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I personally don't think Slaadi or Modrons would have cults that they organized themselves. They are too alien, and have no motivation to do so. They don't seem to care what happens on prime worlds, don't need to harvest souls, etc. I also don't think people would necessarily be aware of them unless they were very knowledgeable planar scholars.
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7970 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2011 :  23:32:43  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I disagree that Primus alone from all those named here could possess divine power, Bladewind. Mortals from the Realms could ascend into the exalted ranks of divinity in the Realms, or at least they could in previous D&D editions, with or without Ao. They certainly could do so in other D&D settings. Many are planars, half-planars, fiends, celestials, liches, whatever ... modrons aren't impossible and slaadi seem almost inevitable. Of course any such entities who do exist might remain entirely unknown within the Realms, having planar and worldly interests far far removed from Toril.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Bladewind
Master of Realmslore

Netherlands
1280 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2011 :  00:36:09  Show Profile Send Bladewind a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey, I didn't rule out any ascensions among the examples. I meant that, of the examples given, only Primus is 'currently' known to have divine power. I might be mistaken though in that the Slaad Lords are not able to grant divine spells; it certainly would be within the realm of possibility.

I think having a rogue modron ascending would make for a very interesting story! Usually Primus destroys any modron that behaves beyond the laws Primus has layed out. So modron advancing in levels/HD that develop skills beyond their function need to hide them from their fellow modrons.

Most rogue modron that develop 'abberant personalities' are deemed imperfect and are weeded out by their superiors. They'll get sentenced by the Hexton modrons that function as judges and are destroyed without remorse. Any indiviualistic modron that would want to advance their personal skills further would need to become very good lyers or need to leave Mechanus. Most do so with all the modrons they directly give orders to (which can be quite a lot if they are one of the 'higher caste' modron forms - a Secundus going rogue would be an outright disaster as it commands slighty less than a quarter of all modron forms on Mechanus).

Primus would definately be upset about such events and set in motion his backup plan for just these instances: sending droves of inevitables after the rogue modron to stop it before it could achieve divinity. He'll start out sending mainly Zelekhuts, the fugitive hunter inevitable, and end with Varakhuts, those that protect greater powers, as the rogue modron becomes increasing close to Primus' own power. It would need a rogue modron of considerable power to survive this whole scenario, as Primus is the one with acces to Mechanus lifesource for modrons. The energywell that absorbs all modrons and can create new ones is firmly fortified in Regulus, giving Primus acces to an unlimited supply of modrons and inevitables...

In any case there can be only one Primus! He'll eventually seek to challenge the 'viral' modron power. If he's destroyed it'll sent Mechanus into a temporary Chaos as a Secundus will immediately replace him. This new Primus will likely also try to stamp out the rogue divine modron untill order is restored in the Multiverse (in its mind anyway). Quite the epic set of events that'll likely have 'planar space and time' spinning out of contol for quite a while!

My campaign sketches

Druidic Groves

Edited by - Bladewind on 22 Jul 2011 00:52:23
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2011 :  02:08:39  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bladewind

Of all the examples given in this thread I think Primus is the only one capable of granting divine spells. He is very self absorbed though, so he does so exclusively to his modron subordinates.
From the web enhancement for 3e Manual of the Planes:-
quote:
Primus grants divine spells, domain powers, and domain spells to all the hierarchs.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000