Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Searching for a Spell
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2011 :  02:35:41  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Specifically, one that negates intoxication. I know I've seen this somewhere. Anybody?

Misanthorpe

Love is a lie. Only hate endures. Light is blinding. Only in darkness do we see clearly.

"Oh, you think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it, molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man, by then it was nothing to me but.. blinding. The shadows betray you because they belong to me." - Bane The Dark Knight Rises

Green Dragonscale Dice Bag by Crystalsidyll - check it out

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2011 :  03:12:01  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Spendelard's Chaser. Among other places, it's on page 55 of Forgotten Realms Adventures.

And I'm wondering if I should be concerned about the fact that I remembered the spell, the source, and the spell's level without even thinking about it!

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2011 :  03:18:32  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I do believe that's the one, Wooly. I'll consult my sources. Thanks! I knew someone would have it. Bah, I wouldn't worry too much. Who doesn't wish they knew this one???

Misanthorpe

Love is a lie. Only hate endures. Light is blinding. Only in darkness do we see clearly.

"Oh, you think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it, molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man, by then it was nothing to me but.. blinding. The shadows betray you because they belong to me." - Bane The Dark Knight Rises

Edited by - Fellfire on 21 Jul 2011 03:20:33
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2011 :  04:06:52  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I do believe in the old material cure poison also worked.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2011 :  04:47:41  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Spendelarde's Chaser
Necromancy
Level: Sor/Wiz 3
Components: V, S, M
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Personal
Target: One creature
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving Throw: None
Spell Resistance: No

As the spell completes, the fuzzy feeling in your forehead fades, and you can think clearly again. Truly, this spell is a gift from the gods.

Originally developed as a way to facilitate mental recovery from brewery research expeditions (ie. a hangover cure), it was later discovered to have useful side effects against other drugs and poisons.

When cast, the chaser automatically purges the target of all drugs (including alcohol) and negates their effects upon the target. If the target has already taken damage from a drug (ability damage or hit point damage), the chaser has no effect on that damage, only negating the drug, not repairing its effects. The spell has no effect on insanity or magically-fueled drugs.

If used on a target suffering from a poison, the spell grants another saving throw at a +4 bonus.

Material Component: a drop of holy water.

I found this in Volo's Guide to All Things Magical under the Lost Rings of Mzenthul, I remember asking about a 3.5 conversion HERE at the 'Keep. I have it in my files, but still can't seem to locate the source.

Misanthorpe

Edited by - Fellfire on 21 Jul 2011 05:18:48
Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2011 :  05:53:56  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think the d20 Ultimate Arcane Spellbook had something with a similar effect, as well. And there might have been one in the old 2nd ed Wizards' Spell Compendium, though I don't know which volume.

The Goddess is alive, and magic is afoot.

"Where Science ends, Magic begins" -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

"You idiots! You've captured their STUNT doubles!" -Spaceballs

Lothir's character background/stats: http://forum.candlekeep.com/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=5469

My stories:
http://z3.invisionfree.com/Mickeys_Comic_Tavern/index.php?showforum=188

Lothir, courtesy of Sylinde (Deviant Art)/Luaxena (Chosen of Eilistraee)
http://sylinde.deviantart.com/#/d2z6e4u
Go to Top of Page

Bladewind
Master of Realmslore

Netherlands
1280 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2011 :  14:21:38  Show Profile Send Bladewind a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I heard drinking a glass of water does its magic against a hangover.

That Chaser spell is a surprisingly high level!

My campaign sketches

Druidic Groves

Creature Feature: Giant Spiders
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2011 :  14:42:05  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bladewind

I heard drinking a glass of water does its magic against a hangover.

That Chaser spell is a surprisingly high level!

In 2E, it was a 4th level spell.

Go to Top of Page

Bladewind
Master of Realmslore

Netherlands
1280 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2011 :  15:23:10  Show Profile Send Bladewind a Private Message  Reply with Quote
oO Even more puzzling!

Heh, I guess the designers way of saying "alcohol is BAD for you".

My campaign sketches

Druidic Groves

Creature Feature: Giant Spiders
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2011 :  18:14:17  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bladewind

oO Even more puzzling!

Heh, I guess the designers way of saying "alcohol is BAD for you".

Pretty sure Ed wrote the spell. And I find the level reasonable -- similar to neutralize poison.

Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2011 :  18:50:27  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I could swear there was one that was 2nd or 3rd lvl.

The Goddess is alive, and magic is afoot.

"Where Science ends, Magic begins" -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

"You idiots! You've captured their STUNT doubles!" -Spaceballs

Lothir's character background/stats: http://forum.candlekeep.com/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=5469

My stories:
http://z3.invisionfree.com/Mickeys_Comic_Tavern/index.php?showforum=188

Lothir, courtesy of Sylinde (Deviant Art)/Luaxena (Chosen of Eilistraee)
http://sylinde.deviantart.com/#/d2z6e4u
Go to Top of Page

bladeinAmn
Learned Scribe

199 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2011 :  20:08:12  Show Profile  Visit bladeinAmn's Homepage Send bladeinAmn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Fellfire

Specifically, one that negates intoxication. I know I've seen this somewhere. Anybody?

I figure the following spells would negate intoxication, or at least lessen the impact:

-The 2nd level divine spell Slow Poison would lessen the impact of most intoxicating brews.
-The 4th level divine spell Neutralize Poison I'm sure would negate the intoxication completely, whatever the strength, by the very nature of the spell.
-The 2nd level arcane spell Endurance would most likely negate the intoxication, by virtue of the +4 Constitution bonus (though it's 1d4+1 in 3e/3.5e, depending on the dice roll) and its duration, depending on the level of the caster.

I'm sure there are others in addition to these and the other spells already mentioned.

Edited by - bladeinAmn on 21 Jul 2011 20:09:51
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000