Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 What is Zakhara?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

The Cardinal
Senior Scribe

Canada
647 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2003 :  17:31:22  Show Profile  Visit The Cardinal's Homepage Send The Cardinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Ok Maztica I can guess at, Kura-tur I have respectable knowledge in, But What in the name of the Faithless is Zakhara???

It has to be Certain, the Gods Hate Me. For whatever irrevokable Fate, I have been made the walking Joke. Either that, or Beshaba is overlyfond Of Me.
-Unknown

Mumadar Ibn Huzal
Master of Realmslore

1338 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2003 :  18:36:43  Show Profile Send Mumadar Ibn Huzal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If you want to know where it is?
- below the Chultan peninsula, south of Luiren, there is another continent which has a predominant middle-eastern (1001-night) style of environment. (Think Ali-baba and the 40 Bandits, Sinbad etc)
- Zakahara is in one way sort of disconnected from the Realms in that there are no deities - only Fate.
- it was another campaign setting which has been force-fed to the Realms-setting, just like Kara-tur
Go to Top of Page

Ghost
Acolyte

Netherlands
38 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2003 :  18:57:04  Show Profile  Visit Ghost's Homepage Send Ghost a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Force-fed, or gobbled up?

The way of a superior man are three-fold;
virtuous, he is free from anxieties;
wise, he is free from perplexities;
bold, he is free from fear. ~ Confucius
Go to Top of Page

Zimeros
Learned Scribe

Brazil
121 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2003 :  19:59:50  Show Profile  Visit Zimeros's Homepage Send Zimeros a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Imagine a comparation with the real world, if Faerum would be Europe, Kara-tur would be East Asia, Maztica would be Central America, Zakhara would be Arabia.
Do you understand?

"Gods protect children and drunks"

Edited by - Zimeros on 17 Nov 2003 20:00:50
Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2003 :  20:00:52  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Al-Qadim campaign setting to be precise, it had a life of around 4-5 years I think.

Lord Rad

"What? No, I wasn't reading your module. I was just looking at the pictures"
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 18 Nov 2003 :  07:40:22  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ah...Zakhara, truly one of my most favorite of the expansions to the general FR set. Sadly, it was discontinued in the official sense a number of years ago. But for me, and a small group of devotees it was redefined and greatly expanded upon during most of the autumn/winter period of 1998 into our Legends of the Sands campaign setting.

We used most of the original material of the Al-Qadim setting as a basis and then developed a number of rich and varied campaigns, adventures and a few 'printed' notebooks worth of background material. It was really the only setting that we played in during most of 1999. We reluctantly halted the campaign once the new version of D&D was officially announced, promising to return to it later. Unfortunately one player moved, and another lost interest. From there on in, it became very difficult to support the campaign with only two players, and most of the other gamers in my area weren't interested in the original Al-Qadim setting, so I collected all the materials together, and placed them on one of my many heavily occupied gaming material shelves...it stills sits there to this day collecting dust, waiting for the day that it will shine again...

Cardinal, I have one of those famous (or is it infamous???) "What is ....." threads that show up on most of the campaign setting forums from time to time. It is about the Al-Qadim setting. I'll send it to you as it has a lot of juicy little tidbits of information that you might find interesting.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 18 Nov 2003 07:40:56
Go to Top of Page

kahonen
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
358 Posts

Posted - 18 Nov 2003 :  13:09:50  Show Profile  Visit kahonen's Homepage Send kahonen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sage of Perth

Ah...Zakhara, truly one of my most favorite of the expansions to the general FR set. Sadly, it was discontinued in the official sense a number of years ago. But for me, and a small group of devotees it was redefined and greatly expanded upon during most of the autumn/winter period of 1998 into our Legends of the Sands campaign setting.

Well met Sage and may I complement you on your excellent taste.

I don't think I've ever met anyone else that would even give Al-Qadim time of day let alone admit it's their favourite FR exansion.

I agree with you 100%. My group have at one time or another played almost everything available and thoroughly enjoyed it.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 18 Nov 2003 :  13:53:25  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It truly was a magnificent setting. In fact I still use the old Complete Sha'ir's Handbook from time to time. It had a lot of good ideas and background material that should not go to waste.

I was very disappointed the day I learned that the setting was to be cancelled. When I first learned of the news, I went straight out to my local gaming store and purchased all the materials that I did not have (the Monstrous Compendium, and several of the adventures).

It's discontinued status started what seemed to be a recurring trend with each and every campaign setting that I enjoyed...Al-Qadim, Planescape, and then finally Dragonlance.

Go to Top of Page

Fibura Gauntlet
Seeker

United Kingdom
50 Posts

Posted - 19 Nov 2003 :  12:04:53  Show Profile  Visit Fibura Gauntlet's Homepage Send Fibura Gauntlet a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
It's discontinued status started what seemed to be a recurring trend with each and every campaign setting that I enjoyed...Al-Qadim, Planescape, and then finally Dragonlance.
*shakes an angry fist at the Sage* And all this time I thought it was my fault Not that I ever played any of them, just loved from afar

On-topic, the al-Qadim setting always struck me as wonderfully romantic and it's a pity that nothing more was done with it.
quote:
I was very disappointed the day I learned that the setting was to be cancelled.
I seem to recall the official line being that TSR had always planned for a fixed number of products from the very start *rolls eyes* Didn't Dragon make a point of reviewing the whole setting in one go?

- Fibura Gauntlet
A scrib(bl)e on the margins of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

kahonen
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
358 Posts

Posted - 19 Nov 2003 :  13:08:36  Show Profile  Visit kahonen's Homepage Send kahonen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Fibura Gauntlet

On-topic, the al-Qadim setting always struck me as wonderfully romantic and it's a pity that nothing more was done with it.

A great pity indeed. One of many excellent settings that were binned.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 20 Nov 2003 :  08:03:21  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You could be right Fibura, I'll have to check on that.

Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 20 Nov 2003 :  16:57:13  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, Al-Qadim was originally planned as a two-year line then extended to a third, as explained here by Steven Schend. We have no reason to be sceptical of this.
http://oracle.wizards.com/scripts/wa.exe?A2=ind0006E&L=realms-l&P=R1411

I think the Al-Qadim products are well done, but I don't think the Realms benefits from the addition of Zakhara (a Hollywood-Arabia in addition to its own more subtly Arab-influenced region), or Zakhara benefits from being attached to the Realms.

Edited by - Faraer on 20 Nov 2003 16:58:33
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 22 Nov 2003 :  05:46:45  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On the other hand, though it's copying heavily from real history, it does lend something . . . three dimensional, if you would, to the entire planet. When making a fantasy world, one of the dangers is making things too uniform over too large an area.

I think the real reason for prejudgment is that it is so obviously a copy from real-world history. However, this doesn't fall under the same shadow of my (in)famous dislike that books like the Maztica Trilogy languish under. My objection is when they copy real-history events. The Maztica books were just too obvious in that respect. I didn't care about it being an Aztec-ripoff, not really. It's just that if I want to read about Cortez, I'll read a politically-correct history book.

Hell hath no fury like all of Candlekeep rising in defense of one of its own.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000