Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Mirabar
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

MadCyric
Acolyte

Germany
16 Posts

Posted - 24 May 2011 :  14:02:39  Show Profile  Visit MadCyric's Homepage Send MadCyric a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
What we know about Mirabar is that there is no map - bad thing. But we know about 6 levels of an under city, too. Did anyone ever made something up about them?

I would guess that - contradicting the typical dungeon - the nearer the undercity level is to the street level, the more criminals, more humans and other filthy scum will be found. The nearer you get to level 6 the more dwarven guards should be around, securing the city against an invasion from the Underdark.

A shrine to Shar would be fitting in the upper levels. Maybe some poison brewers, some thief guilds, one or two dark mages.

What else? Any ideas?

Bladewind
Master of Realmslore

Netherlands
1280 Posts

Posted - 24 May 2011 :  19:32:22  Show Profile Send Bladewind a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Some intrepid merchants might see opportunities in the less low levels and start taverns or bars rife with less savoury activities; like gambling, whoring and 'fight club' like arena fights. Some with expert knowledge of its twisting passages and corridors might even have set up messenger systems with tunnel runners; information brokers using spies that overhear business conversations from below; or demolition experts that make some real estate suddenly drop a level.

My campaign sketches

Druidic Groves

Creature Feature: Giant Spiders
Go to Top of Page

MadCyric
Acolyte

Germany
16 Posts

Posted - 25 May 2011 :  07:12:04  Show Profile  Visit MadCyric's Homepage Send MadCyric a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thx, Bladewind, there are some great ideas in your posting. I like the tunnel runners concept - this could even be some great starting point for a campaign (the heroes working for the tunnel runners guild to get some money, knowing each other from their job, stumbling upon some conversation in the shadows of some deep level room).

The concept of demolition experts could be changed to fit my 1st Ed Forgotten Realms by including some thieves guild of evil dwarves which are experts in static, tunneling and earthwork. They could achieve the same without handling with smoke powder.

Thx alot - you handed me some awesome ideas!
Go to Top of Page

MadCyric
Acolyte

Germany
16 Posts

Posted - 27 May 2011 :  09:25:54  Show Profile  Visit MadCyric's Homepage Send MadCyric a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just stumbled over the FR Wikia entry about Mirabar:

"The Undercity: The center of all mining in Mirabar. It is guarded by the Axe of Mirabar, and accessible via a staircase from Undercity Square, followed by a pulley-operated lift in a shaft of hundreds of feet. The base of this shaft is another guarded room with several exits all with either iron doors or portcullises. There is another entrance which is a sloping, winding tunnel. The subterranean level closest to the ground is called the First Below."

This seems to be from the pages of Rob's novel "A Thousand Orcs" and contradicts the entries of all the other printed material about the undercity.

As in the Nort boxed set for example "Some travelers are surprised to discover that Mirabar's boundaries continue far into the earth. This 'undercity' consists of six levels, known as the First Below, Second Below, and so on. The final level connects up with a series of twisting tunnels that becomes the Underdark, and some travelers move back and forth between Mirabar and Waterdeep, Ironmaster, and Tethyamar."

I wonder why they took what was said in the novel for granted instead the informations form the official sourcebooks.
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7969 Posts

Posted - 02 Jun 2011 :  22:39:14  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Escuse? Who says there's no map and no info about Mirabar? It's all over the place, look here.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

MadCyric
Acolyte

Germany
16 Posts

Posted - 06 Jun 2011 :  14:16:41  Show Profile  Visit MadCyric's Homepage Send MadCyric a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, and it's definitly NOT the city that is described in FR5 Savage Frontiers or Volo's Guide to the North. Whoever made this one up didn't know the facts about Mirabar.

Edited by - MadCyric on 06 Jun 2011 14:18:03
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7969 Posts

Posted - 06 Jun 2011 :  14:38:30  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
All I can think of would be FR5, The North box, Volo's North, and perhaps some bits mentioned in products concerning Waterdeep, Icewind Dale, the Moonshaes, and Mithril Hall. I thought there was a map, hmmm. (The one I offered above looks like a modified Zhentil Keep.)

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

MadCyric
Acolyte

Germany
16 Posts

Posted - 07 Jun 2011 :  13:49:41  Show Profile  Visit MadCyric's Homepage Send MadCyric a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I checked all of them and found nothing. I never noticed that is was missing during the original 2nd Ed times, btw... What comes a bit strange is that Mirabar is allways described as a boring city for adventurers so it was not to let the city being more or less undeveloped to give the DM some room to add to the north.
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7969 Posts

Posted - 07 Jun 2011 :  19:31:09  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It does seem strange. Details about Mirabar seem skeletal, whereas neighbouring Luskan is abundantly described.

At least the area hasn't (can't) be heavily altered in 4E.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000