Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Kara-Tur maps
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 02 May 2011 :  12:20:02  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
This is for older gamers: I was checking my Horde booklets yesterday and found out that it mentions a change in the proportions of the Kara-Tur maps. However, I didn't understand if it was referring to the maps in the Kara-Tur: the Eastern Realms boxed set, to the Kara-Tur Trail Map accessory, or both. I have the Trail Map at home, and intend to use it in a 2e Oriental mini-campaign. I also have the Kara-Tur boxed set, but this one I bought in PDF format.

"Goodness is not a natural state, but must be
fought for to be attained and maintained.
Lead by example.
Let your deeds speak your intentions.
Goodness radiated from the heart."

The Paladin's Virtues, excerpt from the "Quentin's Monograph"
(by Ed Greenwood)

Halidan
Senior Scribe

USA
470 Posts

Posted - 02 May 2011 :  19:58:17  Show Profile  Visit Halidan's Homepage Send Halidan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I suspect they efer to the Kara Tur Trail Maps. They're more extensive that the maps in the box set, and covr more of the area adjacent to the Hordesbooks.

"Over the Mountains
Of the Moon
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride,"
The shade replied,
"If you seek for Eldorado!"

Edgar Allen Poe - 1849
Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 03 May 2011 :  12:12:58  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Halidan

I suspect they efer to the Kara Tur Trail Maps. They're more extensive that the maps in the box set, and covr more of the area adjacent to the Hordesbooks.

You're probably right, thank you Halidan! I've checked the Trail Maps and found out that, although the legend says it's in a 1"=90 miles proportion, the side ruler doesn't fit. But it seems that in this map, 1"=12o miles...

Lead by example.

(by Ed Greenwood)
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3738 Posts

Posted - 03 May 2011 :  18:40:56  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-If you check out Mark's DeviantArt page, he has redone the Kara-Tur maps, and resized them to be accurate with the Faerūn maps. I don't know the ratio of reduction (or enlargement) that was needed, but I know he did have to alter the ratios.

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerūn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerūn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 04 May 2011 :  12:17:50  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dagnirion

-If you check out Mark's DeviantArt page, he has redone the Kara-Tur maps, and resized them to be accurate with the Faerūn maps. I don't know the ratio of reduction (or enlargement) that was needed, but I know he did have to alter the ratios.

Thank you for the tip, Dagnirion. I'll check the page!

Lead by example.

(by Ed Greenwood)
Go to Top of Page

Mace Hammerhand
Great Reader

Germany
2296 Posts

Posted - 05 May 2011 :  07:09:16  Show Profile  Visit Mace Hammerhand's Homepage Send Mace Hammerhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
They refer to the boxed set maps, trail maps came out a few years later

Mace's not so gentle gamer's journal My rants were harmless compared to this, beware!
Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 05 May 2011 :  12:39:14  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mace Hammerhand

I didn't check the time they were published, that's a good info. However, I still have the problem of the Trail Map legends not being accurate about the proportion 1"=90 miles, as it is written. Thank you anyway, guys!

Lead by example.

(by Ed Greenwood)
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3738 Posts

Posted - 05 May 2011 :  18:04:52  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mace Hammerhand

-Mark incorporated all Kara-Tur maps, the Kara-Tur Trail Map included, into his overall cartography project.

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerūn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerūn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 26 May 2011 :  18:22:02  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, the maps that came with the original box were reduced to 1 inch = 60 miles, NOT 90 as mentioned in the product. The Horde boxed set helps immensely in blending the two settings.

HOWEVER, I still ran into MANY problems doing a continental map, and the main problem lie with the maps that came with many of the OA adventures - the two island kingdoms are even larger in those then in the boxed set!

So as a compromise, I used the size of the islands from the boxed set on my maps, which makes them proportionately larger to KT itself (which is no big deal, all things considered). In fact, I rather liked the way that looked.

I believe the correct size was used in the trail maps, which were designed to work together (but I could be wrong, because I have no way of checking that anymore).

And I am real sorry I never posted the 98% complete K-T map, because now it is gone forever.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 26 May 2011 18:23:03
Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 30 May 2011 :  13:11:31  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you for your answer, Markustay! And it's a shame that your Kara-Tur map was lost...

Lead by example.

(by Ed Greenwood)
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page