Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Looking for ideas/advice from my fellow scribes
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 18 Apr 2011 :  16:01:34  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I seek the assistance of my fellow scribes. In the campaign I currently run, the Heroes will be looking to access the interior of the Grandfather Tree (which I have made it’s roots be connected to Teumyshaaril). Anyways, when they arrive there, they will have to take three portals to three locations to pass tests to gain three unique keys to gain access within it. The three locations and a bit of what I have planned so far are:

Araumycos (The Great Fungus) – where they will fight near endless minion Myconids, and meet a wizard who will give them information about this entity (perhaps being the one they must get the key from somehow).

Sorrowwood – which records the history of the elves and those who visit it have visions of the past (seeing visions of elven history – and upon awakening find themselves with wounds or clutching something) – basically have them face some woodland creatures after they awaken, grasping the required key through this vision and starting bloodied (4E ½ hit points)

Farsilver – Tower of the Eldreth Veluuthra

I am looking for any advice anyone can give for these locations, what I can throw at them (either RP or combat, skill challenge, anything) as well as suggestions for what the unique keys may be (I’m thinking something mushroom related from Araumycos, something from ancient elven history from Sorrowwood, and Farsilver I’m not sure).

Thanks!

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 18 Apr 2011 :  16:03:51  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And it's Post-Spellplague before anyone asks (which shouldn't really be a factor in the advice I seek here). Cheers!

Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 18 Apr 2011 :  18:59:28  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Regarding Sorrowwood, any ideas on what elven historical event would be a good vision that could tie in to this?

Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7974 Posts

Posted - 18 Apr 2011 :  19:16:41  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The North and FR5: Savage Frontiers (both 2E) outline the area in some detail. They also advise DMs to locate "at least one" of the Nether scrolls there, so I would personally include some sort of special Nether-related guardian there. Perhaps even an elven Baelnorn whose mission is to oppose the scroll from leaving.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

chamber101
Seeker

57 Posts

Posted - 19 Apr 2011 :  00:36:25  Show Profile Send chamber101 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
For the Sorrowwood section, they could be actually revisiting the memories of the elves of the past.
You could give them some food for thought in regards to whether they are just experiencing the memories of others or have actually been sent to the past and are in the bodies of these elves (and think they can maybe change the course of history in some small way).

Edited by - chamber101 on 19 Apr 2011 00:37:02
Go to Top of Page

althen artren
Senior Scribe

USA
780 Posts

Posted - 19 Apr 2011 :  01:54:24  Show Profile Send althen artren a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Araumycos (The Great Fungus)
Good luck on this, there is exceptionall little out there.
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 19 Apr 2011 :  11:48:10  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by althen artren

Araumycos (The Great Fungus)
Good luck on this, there is exceptionall little out there.

This part will be relatively simple. I will have them pop in one small part of Araumycos (since this being takes up all of a part of the Underdark below the High Forest), where the PCs will fight off hordes of Myconids and reach a wizard who has managed to find a spot within to study Araumycos. Just what would the key they collect here be (some special mushroom maybe?? Something that represents this area in some way.
Anyways I collected enough lore for this that I need (DDgttU and the 4E CG).

Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 19 Apr 2011 :  11:59:11  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by chamber101

For the Sorrowwood section, they could be actually revisiting the memories of the elves of the past.
You could give them some food for thought in regards to whether they are just experiencing the memories of others or have actually been sent to the past and are in the bodies of these elves (and think they can maybe change the course of history in some small way).

This is one I'm high on right now. I'm thinking they experience some legendary elven battle from Earlann through the bodies of elves of that era (have them role-play and maybe have a combat encounter with those elves stats even....hmmm) and during this "vision" they find the key they need (what would be appropriate here you all think??). Then they awake and are at half hp and have to fight again.
Anyways, any suggestions on which historic battle would be good/appropriate?

Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 19 Apr 2011 :  12:00:42  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Arik

The North and FR5: Savage Frontiers (both 2E) outline the area in some detail. They also advise DMs to locate "at least one" of the Nether scrolls there, so I would personally include some sort of special Nether-related guardian there. Perhaps even an elven Baelnorn whose mission is to oppose the scroll from leaving.

I've pretty much taken a lot of notes from these sources (among others). Are you referring to the Grandfather Tree having a Nether Scroll?

Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 19 Apr 2011 :  12:05:18  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
For Farsilver, I will have the PCs teleport into the basement where there are some Humans (among other N'Tell'Quessir) held in captivity in cells (who can explain to the PCs that they are held by the Eldreth Veluuthra as well as explain who the EV are (so the PCs know they are "bad guys"). As they go up, they will face Elven Scouts, Elven Archers, a Fey Panther, some Eladrin mages, Eladrin Bladesingers, Arcane Archers, and eventually, the leader an Eladrin Blackguard.
Perhaps a tainted holy symbol of Corellon as the key here???

Go to Top of Page

chamber101
Seeker

57 Posts

Posted - 19 Apr 2011 :  15:54:13  Show Profile Send chamber101 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alisttair

quote:

This is one I'm high on right now. I'm thinking they experience some legendary elven battle from Earlann through the bodies of elves of that era (have them role-play and maybe have a combat encounter with those elves stats even....hmmm) and during this "vision" they find the key they need (what would be appropriate here you all think??). Then they awake and are at half hp and have to fight again.

They could find the key they need in the past but realise at some stage that they cannot take it with them as 'none of this is real' or 'they are in the past'.
they could hide it somewhere to recover it when they return to their own bodies in the present! (this wouldnt necessarily mean that they were actually there in the past, maybe they were reliving the memories of the elves that actually hid it all those years ago)

As for historic battles they could experience, let them also experience the days leading up to the battle and its aftermath (unless they are all destined to 'die' at the battle!)
My suggestion would be something from the crownwars, Lost Empires of Faerun has loads of stuff you could use but even better, download this (its free from wizards of the coast) it fully details the fall of myth drannor and associated elven military campaigns circa 650DR - if you are going to explore the elves past then this is essential:
http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Cormanthyr:_Empire_of_the_Elves
(DL link is at the bottom)
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 19 Apr 2011 :  16:56:03  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Alisttair

quote:

They could find the key they need in the past but realise at some stage that they cannot take it with them as 'none of this is real' or 'they are in the past'.
they could hide it somewhere to recover it when they return to their own bodies in the present! (this wouldnt necessarily mean that they were actually there in the past, maybe they were reliving the memories of the elves that actually hid it all those years ago)

As for historic battles they could experience, let them also experience the days leading up to the battle and its aftermath (unless they are all destined to 'die' at the battle!)
My suggestion would be something from the crownwars, Lost Empires of Faerun has loads of stuff you could use but even better, download this (its free from wizards of the coast) it fully details the fall of myth drannor and associated elven military campaigns circa 650DR - if you are going to explore the elves past then this is essential:
http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Cormanthyr:_Empire_of_the_Elves
(DL link is at the bottom)

Hmm I like the idea of going back to the location where they were grasping the item.

As far as the Fall of Myth Drannor book, I have it . Lots of battles that can be referenced there, but kind of far to travel (short of a portal) if we go with the idea you gave me. If I combine your idea with something I read about elves slaying a Balor in Hellgate Keep, that is a closer place they can go to (plus I think that battle took place while the keep itself was standing - so when they go back, it will be doubly fun with it destroyed and they have to go below).

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000