Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 How do the phaerimm do it?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 18 Apr 2011 :  08:49:44  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic

The phaerimm's magic is useless against the antimagic of the beholders, as shown in the following quote [taken from The Siege]. But how do they remain in control of their beholder slaves? Is their mind control impervious to the beholders' antimagic?

quote:

Unable to use their own magic within the antimagic zones created by their beholder slaves, the phaerimm hung back.

Every beginning has an end.

Sandro
Learned Scribe

New Zealand
266 Posts

Posted - 18 Apr 2011 :  09:04:57  Show Profile Send Sandro a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This topic is very thankfully not what the title led me to be believe it would be.

I assume it has to do with the beholders not being able to place themselves within the anti-magic zone, or controlling them through some other (psionics? unlikely) method.

"Gods, little fishes, and spells to turn the one to the other," Mordenkainen sighed. "It's started already..."
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 18 Apr 2011 :  09:48:35  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Perhaps. However, even if they can't place themselves within their own antimagic zones, the magic [or psionic power] that tied them to their masters would have been severed. Think of the mind control magic as a thread tying their minds to the phaerimm's, and their antimagic as the scissors. Either their scissors are not sharp enough, or the thread is too hard for the scissors to cut through. And I'm leaning towards the latter. But then again, that begs the question what exactly makes the thread granitic? Even if the pharimm employ clerical magic [which is very unlikely], such magic is still prey to the beholders' magic-negating zones.

***I'm curious what's that thing you believed the topic would be?

Edited by - Dennis on 18 Apr 2011 09:49:35
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 18 Apr 2011 :  11:55:20  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm thinking Psionics. I'm about to start re-reading The Siege, so I might have some better insight then.

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023
Go to Top of Page

Bladewind
Master of Realmslore

Netherlands
1280 Posts

Posted - 18 Apr 2011 :  15:26:30  Show Profile Send Bladewind a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Phearimm 'do it' with lots of buzzing and ritualized foreplay.

My campaign sketches

Druidic Groves

Creature Feature: Giant Spiders
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 18 Apr 2011 :  15:31:13  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Kinda off topic, but in the same book, anyway:

Does the Evareskan mythal also protect against the illithids' mind blast?

Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7969 Posts

Posted - 18 Apr 2011 :  19:25:47  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A supernatural effect which doesn't follow rules of magic ... one which happens to also involve mental control ... obviously psionics.

I imagine that the beholder antimagic gaze is not automatic; they must keep their big eye closed most of the time, if simply to avoid de-levitating each other whenever they're grouped. So, if this antimagic is a voluntary action it's quite easy for the phaerimm to issue command paramaters specifying the power is not used on other controlled beholders.

Of course, it might just be that beholders are naturally immune to their species antimagic gaze, perhaps also their charm eyestalk powers. Otherwise, (LE) beholder society would probably always be a numbers game.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Halidan
Senior Scribe

USA
470 Posts

Posted - 18 Apr 2011 :  21:32:45  Show Profile  Visit Halidan's Homepage Send Halidan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In addition to what Arik mentioned IIRC, the beholdr's anti-magic field is a 90 degree angle off of the front eye. The phaerimm simple dominate one from behind, and the tell him to summon a few of his friends and then dominate them from behind as well. Once dominated, if the charm neeeds to be renewed, the pharrimm simply command their beholder slaves to shut their eyes and renew the domination.

"Over the Mountains
Of the Moon
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride,"
The shade replied,
"If you seek for Eldorado!"

Edgar Allen Poe - 1849

Edited by - Halidan on 18 Apr 2011 21:33:23
Go to Top of Page

althen artren
Senior Scribe

USA
780 Posts

Posted - 18 Apr 2011 :  23:50:38  Show Profile Send althen artren a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't think that the mythal's powers have ever been
categorized like Myth Drannor and Myth Glaurach have.
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3737 Posts

Posted - 19 Apr 2011 :  05:57:23  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dennis

The phaerimm's magic is useless against the antimagic of the beholders, as shown in the following quote [taken from The Siege]. But how do they remain in control of their beholder slaves? Is their mind control impervious to the beholders' antimagic?

-Plot armor.

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerūn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerūn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3737 Posts

Posted - 19 Apr 2011 :  06:07:36  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

-Things Evereska's mythal could do:

Governs the weather and physical conditions within the Evereskan vale.
Worked against blights and diseases
Defend the city with Meteor Swarm

-Since the mythal was almost destroyed and then re-worked with the Shadow Weave, who knows what the mythal can and cannot do anymore.

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerūn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerūn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 19 Apr 2011 :  06:16:30  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Psionics? I thought the phaerimm are purely arcane spellcasters, as stated in Monsters of Faerun. Or did I miss something?

---

Plot armor? Isn't that applied to Drizzt and to him alone?

quote:
Originally posted by Dagnirion

quote:

-Things Evereska's mythal could do:

Governs the weather and physical conditions within the Evereskan vale.
Worked against blights and diseases
Defend the city with Meteor Swarm

-Since the mythal was almost destroyed and then re-worked with the Shadow Weave, who knows what the mythal can and cannot do anymore.

I was referring to the time when it was attacked by the phaerimm's army. If it's not invincible against the illithids's mind blasts, the phaerimm should have sent their illithid servants to attack the mythal's defenders, while the beholders worked their disintegration magic against the Evareskans' volleys of arrows.

Edited by - Dennis on 19 Apr 2011 07:26:59
Go to Top of Page

Quale
Master of Realmslore

1757 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2011 :  20:17:18  Show Profile Send Quale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Theoretically a mythal can grant effects like mind blank to protect the inhabitants, just not this one
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2011 :  23:55:35  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

So it's still susceptible to the illithids' mind blast? And Troy didn't use them because......it's rather convenient?

Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7969 Posts

Posted - 21 Apr 2011 :  05:06:48  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It could be that the phaerimm have such mastery of arcane power that they're able to circumvent or neutralize the beholder powers. Perhaps not every time, perhaps not all individuals, but often enough.

Phaerimm aren't described as possessing psionics in any of the monster entries, though they're very intelligent so it doesn't seem impossible. Then again, they're aberrations and they originate from "somewhere else" so normal rules don't have to apply.

Sneak up behind a beholder? lol, how?

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 21 Apr 2011 :  05:15:28  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Some of them might be so intelligent as to bypass the beholders' antimagic. But I'm more inclined to believe that they learned the art of psionics [maybe by eating a psionicist whole?], which they employed on their beholder slaves as their arcane magic was neutralized.

Go to Top of Page

Quale
Master of Realmslore

1757 Posts

Posted - 21 Apr 2011 :  12:27:11  Show Profile Send Quale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

So it's still susceptible to the illithids' mind blast? And Troy didn't use them because......it's rather convenient?

yea, illithids and beholders in that book were almost cannon fodder

maybe it's some biological form of domination, with their stings, considering they're all aberrations
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 21 Apr 2011 :  12:47:51  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

That's an interesting theory.

I asked Troy about this. No answer yet.

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 22 Apr 2011 :  00:14:28  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Finally, an answer from Troy himself.

quote:

Dennis,

It's been over ten years since I wrote those books, so the truth is that I'm pretty fuzzy on the details. As I recall, however, my rationale was that their mind control was exerted through their telepathic powers, which were non-magical. (I don't want to say psionic, because as I recall, they weren't psionicists -- but I think I considered their telepathy quasi-psionic in origin.)

Hope that helps -- it's the best I can do after so long!

-- Troy

Go to Top of Page

Quale
Master of Realmslore

1757 Posts

Posted - 22 Apr 2011 :  15:04:26  Show Profile Send Quale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
well, if you look into Ooltul, as far as I remember, the beholders serve the Triumvirate there fearing their power, no charms needed. And a lot of them are turned into death tyrants to ease the control, also one of the phaerimm is an expert on the beholder physiology

maybe they can possess from other times like Lovecraft's Yithians
Go to Top of Page

Kerryth Silver
Acolyte

8 Posts

Posted - 22 Apr 2011 :  19:11:52  Show Profile Send Kerryth Silver a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dood, beholders can't use their anti-magic cone on theyselves!
quote:

quote:

Unable to use their own magic within the antimagic zones created by their beholder slaves, the phaerimm hung back.

Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7969 Posts

Posted - 22 Apr 2011 :  21:06:25  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, but can beholders use it on each other?

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 23 Apr 2011 :  03:00:44  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kerryth Silver

Dood, beholders can't use their anti-magic cone on theyselves!
quote:

quote:

As Arik noted. That's why Troy's explanation sort of makes sense. The phaerimm's telepathic power, which is quasi-psionics, makes it impossible (or extremely difficult) for the beholders to free themselves from their masters's hold, who must have sent a message like, "Dispel all magic around you except the one I put on you and on your brethen."

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000