Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Talos and Malyk
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Razz
Senior Scribe

USA
749 Posts

Posted - 17 Apr 2011 :  03:02:18  Show Profile Send Razz a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
So I know the story of Malyk and Talos, but I am curious about one thing.

Malyk is still worshipped, correct? And he is a deity of wild magic. Subsumed by Talos, unknowingly by the worshippers, so Talos is their god now. Meaning he has the portfolio of wild magic now. However, it then states Mystra prevented this from happening.

So, exactly who is the deity of wild magic then and where are the worshippers of Malyk getting their spells from? Or they just simply have the "Servant of the Fallen" feat and just derive their power from their continued faith in a dead deity?

Zireael
Master of Realmslore

Poland
1190 Posts

Posted - 17 Apr 2011 :  10:17:52  Show Profile  Visit Zireael's Homepage Send Zireael a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Razz

So I know the story of Malyk and Talos, but I am curious about one thing.

Malyk is still worshipped, correct? And he is a deity of wild magic. Subsumed by Talos, unknowingly by the worshippers, so Talos is their god now. Meaning he has the portfolio of wild magic now. However, it then states Mystra prevented this from happening.

So, exactly who is the deity of wild magic then and where are the worshippers of Malyk getting their spells from? Or they just simply have the "Servant of the Fallen" feat and just derive their power from their continued faith in a dead deity?

I don't know about *worshipped*, either in 3e or 4e. He just suddenly up and went and became a god... and I don't know about any influential people worshipping him... to be frank, I don't know about ANY people worshipping him actually.

EDIT: Yay, post no. 700!

SiNafay Vrinn, the daughter of Lloth, from Ched Nasad!

http://zireael07.wordpress.com/

Edited by - Zireael on 17 Apr 2011 10:18:44
Go to Top of Page

Razz
Senior Scribe

USA
749 Posts

Posted - 18 Apr 2011 :  02:59:38  Show Profile Send Razz a Private Message  Reply with Quote
He was officially mentioned on page 92 of "Drizzt's Guide to the Underdark." Trying to find other mentions of him, but I am just wondering the stance on the portfolio of wild magic? I assume Mystra just holds onto it but is definitely NOT a deity of it as it'd be against her nature.

But I didn't know deities can HOLD onto portfolios. Wouldn't Ao be the one in charge of that?

EDIT: Also of note, he has a sidebar entry in Polyhedron #116 in Eric Boyd's "Forgotten Deities" article, where he was first mentioned I believe

Edited by - Razz on 18 Apr 2011 03:26:26
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 18 Apr 2011 :  04:17:06  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The original reference, as I recall, is from either Menzoberranzan or the Avatar modules. I can't immediately remember which at the moment.

As it is, Eric Boyd then took that small reference and provided a full write-up in POLYHEDRON as part of the "Forgotten Deities" series of articles. He then dropped it into F&A, as an alias for Talos, and DDGttU.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 18 Apr 2011 04:18:31
Go to Top of Page

Zireael
Master of Realmslore

Poland
1190 Posts

Posted - 18 Apr 2011 :  07:50:38  Show Profile  Visit Zireael's Homepage Send Zireael a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think it was Menzo boxed set where he was first mentioned.

SiNafay Vrinn, the daughter of Lloth, from Ched Nasad!

http://zireael07.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

The_Silversword
Seeker

USA
58 Posts

Posted - 04 Jun 2011 :  12:05:30  Show Profile Send The_Silversword a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I see no reason why he wouldn't still be worshipped, he did have a cult, right? I was just thinking on this myself, planning on using some Cultists of Malyk in my 4e game.

According to legend he was a Drow Lich, who during the Time O Troubles, came across a powerful wild magic zone in the underdark infused with a shard of Mystra's essence, which he absorbed into himself, thereby becoming the god of Wild Magic, after which Talos killed him and took the power for himself. I don't remember where I read that, I think it was in an issue of Polyhedron.

But any way, to answer your questions, it depends on the time period on who has the Wild Magic portfolio or sphere or domain, whatever you want to call it. During the Time of Troubles Maylk had it then Talos, once Midnight ascended and became Mystra, then yeah she woulda took it from him, so technically she would be the goddess of Wild Magic as well (She coulda done the same thing with Velsharoon too, never understood why she didn't). Post Spellplague, Mystra dead, so I see no reason why Talos/Gruumsh wouldn't/couldn't reclaim it.

And Priests of Malyk would get their spells from Talos/Gruumsh, unless you're going by 4e rules where they would use some special ritual that gives them their power from within or whatever.

I survived the Spellplague and all I got was this stupid sig.
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11696 Posts

Posted - 15 Jun 2011 :  14:32:22  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The_Silversword

I see no reason why he wouldn't still be worshipped, he did have a cult, right? I was just thinking on this myself, planning on using some Cultists of Malyk in my 4e game.

According to legend he was a Drow Lich, who during the Time O Troubles, came across a powerful wild magic zone in the underdark infused with a shard of Mystra's essence, which he absorbed into himself, thereby becoming the god of Wild Magic, after which Talos killed him and took the power for himself. I don't remember where I read that, I think it was in an issue of Polyhedron.

But any way, to answer your questions, it depends on the time period on who has the Wild Magic portfolio or sphere or domain, whatever you want to call it. During the Time of Troubles Maylk had it then Talos, once Midnight ascended and became Mystra, then yeah she woulda took it from him, so technically she would be the goddess of Wild Magic as well (She coulda done the same thing with Velsharoon too, never understood why she didn't). Post Spellplague, Mystra dead, so I see no reason why Talos/Gruumsh wouldn't/couldn't reclaim it.

And Priests of Malyk would get their spells from Talos/Gruumsh, unless you're going by 4e rules where they would use some special ritual that gives them their power from within or whatever.

Interesting the similarities between Malyk and Mellifleur(aka he who would become Velsharoon). Both liches who through some happenstance tapped into a deity's potential (Malyk from Mystra, Mellifleur from Bane)and stole that power, and then later became involved with Talos (Malyk, subsumed... Mellifleur, taken by Velsharoon with Talos' aid).

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000