Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Spell during the Time of Troubles
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

elglanto
Acolyte

24 Posts

Posted - 10 Apr 2011 :  17:57:25  Show Profile  Visit elglanto's Homepage Send elglanto a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hello,

I'm going to run some scenarii during the Time of Troubles and i was wondering what would happen to magic users.

Clerics : no more spells granted unless the cleric is within one mile of his deity's avatar.
Paladins : same as clerics ?
Arcane caster : ceased to be regulated by its steward, Mystra and became dangerously unpredictable : i would use the wild magic rule for every spell lunched.
Druid/Ranger : ? i guess they should be able to still use their spell but is there any thing about it?

For clerics, i'm following the official plot. I think it's logical to do the same with paladin.
For arcane caster, what would you do?
For Druidic magic and Ranger, what would you do?
What about magical stuff like a cloak of charisma?

It's just one or two scenarii in a whole campain so i don't mind about keeping balance between my players

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 10 Apr 2011 :  18:25:51  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd say the rangers and druids would have the same problems as divine casters, since they were divine casters in 2e.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

elglanto
Acolyte

24 Posts

Posted - 10 Apr 2011 :  20:39:11  Show Profile  Visit elglanto's Homepage Send elglanto a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks.

Additional question : do low level characters would know what is going on on Faerun?
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 10 Apr 2011 :  21:17:39  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As to Druids and Rangers, they might have been able to draw on the unnamed nature magic separate from the Weave.

Low level characters would discover very hard to purchase magical services. The cleric that asks more so to make it hard to pay for, because can not actually do it.

Stored magic, it appears always worked even when the Weave was unstable.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3738 Posts

Posted - 11 Apr 2011 :  00:15:27  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by elglanto

Additional question : do low level characters would know what is going on on Faerun?

-Plenty of variables. A low level character living in, say Tantras, where Torm's avatar was, who is close to the daily going-ons of the Church of Torm there might. A mighty Lich living in isolation in the Underdark might not. Knowing what's going on is more a question of location and contacts and such, rather than just pure D&D level.

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerūn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerūn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 11 Apr 2011 :  03:28:31  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Thanks.

Only in the broadest of terms -- for example, during the Time of Troubles, pretty much everybody knew that the gods were walking the land. But knowing which gods were where would be greatly affected by your distance from that deity.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 11 Apr 2011 :  03:36:54  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

Thanks.

Only in the broadest of terms -- for example, during the Time of Troubles, pretty much everybody knew that the gods were walking the land. But knowing which gods were where would be greatly affected by your distance from that deity.

Indeed. It's difficult to apply such blanket statements like this to a setting that doesn't have a continent-wide communications service.

At most, whatever most low-level folk know probably comes from local gossip, tavern tales, and the word from travelling minstrels/merchants. "Big News Stories," like Wooly's example of the Time of Troubles, have repercussions which affect the daily lives of many people, so low-level folk will know *something* about what's going on, for the most part. But specific details, like where and when particular gods have fallen, would largely depend on a low-level folk's proximity to the fallen god, or events happening around it.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 11 Apr 2011 03:38:21
Go to Top of Page

Rhewtani
Senior Scribe

USA
508 Posts

Posted - 11 Apr 2011 :  16:42:37  Show Profile Send Rhewtani a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I thought clerics still had 1st-2nd level spells pretty much no matter what. Druids, Rangers, and Paladins have to fall into this category as Realms theory is pretty solid on the notion that divine spells don't come from fuzzy-wuzzy non-god places and that druids are nothing more than nature priests.
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 12 Apr 2011 :  12:18:01  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rhewtani

I thought clerics still had 1st-2nd level spells pretty much no matter what.

That is correct. I remember this fact because I had adapted the trilogy to 3.xE and my youngest brother played a Cleric.

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023
Go to Top of Page

Sill Alias
Senior Scribe

Kazakhstan
588 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2011 :  08:05:56  Show Profile  Visit Sill Alias's Homepage Send Sill Alias a Private Message  Reply with Quote
About magical items. That is rather hard question. My only source on that is trilogy novel. The cloak of displacement started to give mirror images. Some artifacts were unaffected, perhaps because the healing relic in novel was of divine origin after all. I guess that divine stuff is pretty stable, but arcane can be unpredictable. i could be wrong though.

You can hear many tales from many mouths. The most difficult is to know which of them are not lies. - Sill Alias

"May your harp be unstrung, your dreams die and all your songs be unsung." - curse of the harper, The Code of the Harpers 2 ed.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000