Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 drow...curse?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Laerrigan
Learned Scribe

USA
195 Posts

Posted - 08 Apr 2011 :  23:57:30  Show Profile  Visit Laerrigan's Homepage Send Laerrigan a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Having not done a lot of FR novel reading (I've mostly been interested in sourcebooks), can anyone tell me exactly what was supposed to be so bad about the curse on the drow? Simply their light blindness, making underground life more suitable to them, whereas the Ilythiiri, at least, had been so sun-oriented? Because a slight reduction in stature and a change of coloration never seemed that horrific or terribly sensical to me, especially when they apparently looked different from other elven subraces in the first place and so could be discerned and guarded against in that way already (though I know there have been different canon versions of that over time)...

"Your 'reality,' sir, is lies and balderdash, and I'm delighted to say that I have no grasp of it whatsoever." (Baron Munchausen)
"If I find in myself a desire which no experience in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that I was not made for this world." (C.S. Lewis, "Surprised by Joy")

ChieftainTwilight
Learned Scribe

171 Posts

Posted - 09 Apr 2011 :  00:26:39  Show Profile Send ChieftainTwilight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
apparrently, in FR, the Illythiiri were origionally just a light-grey or brown-skinned subrace, or something like that... still a little dusky, but much softer-hued. their hair rangd from pale blonde to brilliant silver, rather than the stark-white that it typically comes in now. and they had Darkvision 60ft and Low-Light Vision, rather than Darkvision 120ft and Light Blindness. they also did not have their Spell Resistance or Spell-Like abilities, which means they were actually weaker than they are now.

the forms they have in the setting are a combonation of the curse on their race and the blessings they recieved from Lloth. both of these changes were meant to mark them as different, primarilly, rather than actually weaken them too much. much like Driders are actually more powerful, but ostracized from Drow Society; they even still get Cleric Spells when transformed!

so... yeh... I never liked that it was a "curse". that's just one example of an unneccesary magical/divine reason behind something that could have been explained by mundaine cause with less complexity. but it's FR, so EVERYTHING has to be because of the gods or magic, even when it's needlessly complicated and flawed to make that the reason.

there is some fan debate over what would happen if hypothetically Eilistraee won the Cosmic Battle between herself and Lloth over the fate of the Dark Elves. I hated wat I read on Wikipedia about it. >.>

and a heart can only break so many times
and I've been to hell and back so many times
and I've seen folks walk away so many times
but just like anyone else I gotta stand up by myself
a heart can only break so many times
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Asmodeus
Master of Realmslore

1221 Posts

Posted - 09 Apr 2011 :  00:36:46  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Asmodeus's Homepage Send Chosen of Asmodeus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
4e changes the driders thing. Becoming one is now a blessing and sign of favor from Lloth.

"Then I saw there was a way to Hell even from the gates of Heaven"
- John Bunyan, Pilgrim's Progress

Fatum Iustum Stultorum. Righteous is the destiny of fools.

The Roleplayer's Gazebo;
http://theroleplayersgazebo.yuku.com/directory#.Ub4hvvlJOAY
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 09 Apr 2011 :  00:58:01  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Chosen of Asmodeus

4e changes the driders thing. Becoming one is now a blessing and sign of favor from Lloth.

That was something that always bugged me about prior editions. "You will be cursed by the Queen of Spiders... by being made to resemble that which she loves, spiders."

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 09 Apr 2011 :  01:29:12  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
See? Some changes go done kinda easy...

As for the drow - 'light' Elves actually derive part of their sustenance from sunlight (see 2e CBoE), which I assume they absorb through their skin in a fashion similar to plants. This is why even the more 'civilized' elven peoples (Eladrin, whatever) still build homes that remind them of the great outdoors, with wide-open spaces and courtyards. Elves do not have so much an affinity with nature, as they do with just being 'outside' (under the sun). This is why elves held in captivity (away from sunlight) do not live very long.

What the curse did was alter their skin so it was incapable of absorbing sunlight any longer, and also made it so their eyes became intolerant of daylight. The result was that the curse took the very thing elves cherish the most, and turned into anathema to them.

In those first few centuries, driven away from 'the light' and into the underground (that they once were disgusted by), the drow went a little insane, and their natural tendencies and paranoia grew to the point where they preyed upon each other as much as other creatures did.

And they ate each other. Thats canon.

So the curse did tremendous psychological damage to the elves - it took from them what they lived for - to be free under the sun. Some drow may pretend to loathe the surface and sunlight, but the sad truth is they still yearn to feel the warmth upon their faces, and the breeze blow through their hair. They have been denied their heritage; this is why nearly all drow are bottled-up wellsprings of pure rage waiting for the slightest provocation to be released.

They are still made to suffer for the sin of their fathers. That is the truth of the drow, and the shame of the Seldarine.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 09 Apr 2011 13:22:55
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 09 Apr 2011 :  01:43:53  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

That was something that always bugged me about prior editions. "You will be cursed by the Queen of Spiders... by being made to resemble that which she loves, spiders."

It is something of a perversion, though, over the classical concept of the spidery form.

However, I've always thought it had more to do with the fact of being permanently and forever tied to Lolth's will. Given that the power of the transformation comes from the Queen of Spiders, any disloyal drow or those who blasphemy the worship of Lolth, would consider it something of a "inconvenience" to be forever tied to a deity -- in a form also revered by that deity -- they loathe. Which is exactly what the punishment of the drider entails.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 09 Apr 2011 :  02:29:33  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Is it a curse to be banished from the sunlight, where sun light was an important part of your life?

The use of High magic on such a scale always appear to provide unexpected results.

In some ways the curse also became a blessing. Something lost but another thing gained.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 09 Apr 2011 :  03:00:20  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:

quote:

It is something of a perversion, though, over the classical concept of the spidery form.

However, I've always thought it had more to do with the fact of being permanently and forever tied to Lolth's will. Given that the power of the transformation comes from the Queen of Spiders, any disloyal drow or those who blasphemy the worship of Lolth, would consider it something of a "inconvenience" to be forever tied to a deity -- in a form also revered by that deity -- they loathe. Which is exactly what the punishment of the drider entails.

I can see that, but... Here's the real rub: Lolth is all about spiders, so her priestesses are, too. They are so into spiders that someone can be slain on the spot for accidentally stepping on one. Now, if I was a priestess of Lolth, and I was that into spiders, I'd want to get closer to my deity by becoming part spider. Binding someone to Lolth's will as punishment is one thing, but giving them a divine form you yourself can't have? Does not compute.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 09 Apr 2011 :  03:01:24  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

It makes more sense now. It's still a retcon, which does not go down easy.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 09 Apr 2011 :  03:09:01  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I can see that, but... Here's the real rub: Lolth is all about spiders, so her priestesses are, too. They are so into spiders that someone can be slain on the spot for accidentally stepping on one. Now, if I was a priestess of Lolth, and I was that into spiders, I'd want to get closer to my deity by becoming part spider. Binding someone to Lolth's will as punishment is one thing, but giving them a divine form you yourself can't have? Does not compute.

Maybe.

I think it really comes down to how the individual drow sees him/herself. Being transformed into the creature of your worship is one thing... but a drider is a perversion-form. It's somewhere between a drow and a spider -- not wholly one or the other.

I think that's where part of the punishment of the drider-form lies. You're stuck between two worlds, as an aberration, because you're not worthy enough -- in the eyes of Lolth -- to belong to either the world of the drow, or the world of the spiders.

Edited by - The Sage on 09 Apr 2011 03:09:52
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 09 Apr 2011 :  04:14:59  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
But doesn't Lolth herself often take the form of a spider with a drow's head?

Go to Top of Page

ChieftainTwilight
Learned Scribe

171 Posts

Posted - 09 Apr 2011 :  04:28:45  Show Profile Send ChieftainTwilight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
oh my...

1.) I never new that 2nd edition canon of the Elves... it realy makes itall make sense, and suddenly I have more respect for the Fall of Illythiir.

2.) Driders being stuck between worlds, that is a concept of suffering I can relate to all too well. aye, that's a punishment alright. perfectly befitting a highest-offence justice.

Go to Top of Page

Firestorm
Senior Scribe

Canada
826 Posts

Posted - 09 Apr 2011 :  04:39:28  Show Profile Send Firestorm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

A divine form which now lacks free will and is the personal servant of all high priestesses?

Seems like win win to me. Keeps males in line and in turn, instead of merely wasting them by killing them, they become tools that can be used
Go to Top of Page

ChieftainTwilight
Learned Scribe

171 Posts

Posted - 09 Apr 2011 :  04:46:54  Show Profile Send ChieftainTwilight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Firestorm

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

A divine form which now lacks free will and is the personal servant of all high priestesses?

Seems like win win to me. Keeps males in line and in turn, instead of merely wasting them by killing them, they become tools that can be used

wait, they lose their free will now? dangit 4th edition! >.<

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 09 Apr 2011 :  04:53:42  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

True. But she is a divine entity. She can assume any combination of forms she wishes. A drider is stuck between the two worlds.

Granted, the drider form could be interpreted as a holy tribute to Lolth's supposed 'true form' -- " ... appearing as a giant spider with a coldly beautiful female drow head." But I think the key word here... is "female." How is a male who becomes a drider supposed to feel, other than as a mockery of Lolth's form, especially considering the status of males in a Lolth-driven society?

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 09 Apr 2011 :  05:28:35  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

True. But she is a divine entity. She can assume any combination of forms she wishes. A drider is stuck between the two worlds.

Granted, the drider form could be interpreted as a holy tribute to Lolth's supposed 'true form' -- " ... appearing as a giant spider with a coldly beautiful female drow head." But I think the key word here... is "female." How is a male who becomes a drider supposed to feel, other than as a mockery of Lolth's form, especially considering the status of males in a Lolth-driven society?

Closer to Lolth because of the new form?

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 09 Apr 2011 :  05:32:54  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

Closer to Lolth because of the new form?

But they're still male. Even with their new form, they'll never achieve the status they probably think they should be granted to them because they're now somehow closer to the divine form of Lolth.

It's a cruel joke played on the male drow. Even when they're closer to their god, they still can't climb the ladder of drow society.

Edited by - The Sage on 09 Apr 2011 05:34:38
Go to Top of Page

Laerrigan
Learned Scribe

USA
195 Posts

Posted - 09 Apr 2011 :  06:17:13  Show Profile  Visit Laerrigan's Homepage Send Laerrigan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

As for the drow - 'light' Elves actually derive part of their sustenance from sunlight (see 2e CBoE), which I assume they absorb through their skin in a fashion similar to plants. This is why even the more 'civilized' elven peoples (Eladrin, whatever) still build homes that remind them of the great outdoors, with wide-open spaces and courtyards. Elves do not have so much an affinity with nature, as they do with just being 'outside' (under the sun). This is why elves held in captivity (away from sunlight) do not live very long.

What the curse did was alter their skin so it was incapable of absorbing sunlight any longer, and also made it so their eyes became intolerant of daylight. The result was that the curse took the very thing elves cherish the most, and turned into anathema to them.

In those first few centuries, driven away from 'the light' and into the underground (that they once were disgusted by), the drow went a little insane, and their natural tendencies and paranoia grew to the point where they preyed upon each other as much as other creatures did.

And they ate each other. Thats canon.

So the curse did tremendous psychological damage to the elves - it took from them what they lived for - to be free under the sun. Some drow may pretend to loathe the surface and sunlight, but the sad truth is they still yearn to feel the warmth upon their faces, and the breeze blow through their hair. They have been denied their heritage; this is why nearly all drow are bottled-up wellsprings of pure rage waiting for the slightly provocation to be released.

They are still made to suffer for the sin of their fathers. That is the truth of the drow, and the shame of the Seldarine.

Thanks, I also didn't know that bit about elves and sun/outdoors and dying in captivity; I just figured that "the great outdoors" was simply their preference, being close to nature, but I couldn't really fathom why those that went underground didn't seem to have such a tie to nature down there (since there are entire ecosystems in the Underdark). I knew Ilythiir reveled in the sun, but assumed it was a cultural thing, the sun being associated with gold, glory, power, and such in some circles of thought. The sun/outdoors/captivity issue also says a lot about the state of the rockseer elves of Night Below, beyond the psychological/spiritual implications of their tale of their history/origin.

"Your 'reality,' sir, is lies and balderdash, and I'm delighted to say that I have no grasp of it whatsoever." (Baron Munchausen)
"If I find in myself a desire which no experience in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that I was not made for this world." (C.S. Lewis, "Surprised by Joy")
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 09 Apr 2011 :  13:42:54  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Maybe I should have wrote Lady Penitent.

Anyhow, on the 'Drider issue'. I don't have a problem with it either way (but I would have preferred NOT to have a retcon - one person's opinions on a matter should NOT over-write thirty years of lore!!!)

It may make more sense now, but it makes less sense because it was a change to the continuity, which is far more damaging in the long run (IMHO).

HOWEVER, there is a VERY simple fix for this....

Being a Drider was a curse. Lolth designed it to be a mockery of the spider form ('caught between worlds'). Over time (many centuries), Driders evolved into their own culture and sub-group. originally intended to be lone aberrations and shunned by all, they managed to embrace their form and build upon it.

Lolth respects that - they embraced chaos And overcame adversity. In some areas other drow realized this as well (perhaps Lolth was inspired by them, or vice-versa). Regardless, what was once considered a horrible curse began to be viewed as something spiritual - an ascendancy of form bringing one closer to their goddess. The Spellplague played a part in this, as did the Silence of Lolth and the events of Lady Penitent - all major changes in the lives of Faerûnian Drow that brought about certain cultural shifts.

So both versions of lore is correct - things have simply changed. For the people of Toril, it wasn't as immediate or 'retconny' as it appears to us - it is something that happened over a very long time, and as of 4e the new attitude toward driders is the official one. In your own home campaigns you can even use this - older drow may still cling to their old ways, and be disgusted by the driders, but younger ones will aspire to become one. Different communities could even have different attitudes (although I am sure Lolth made it known to her priestesses that she will not tolerate 'drider hunts' any longer).

Sure it was a retcon, but it doesn't have to be. If there is one thing I've learned over the past three years, it's that the lore itself isn't terrible - its just the quality of the presentation ("a spoonful of sugar helps the medicine go down"). The current group of designers at WotC are like chefs working in a restaurant with no wait-staff: They can cook great dishes, but they have no clue how to serve them to their customers.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Asmodeus
Master of Realmslore

1221 Posts

Posted - 09 Apr 2011 :  18:04:12  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Asmodeus's Homepage Send Chosen of Asmodeus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I remember reading that the original idea was; you take the test at level 6. You fail, you get turned into a drider, the equivalent of a level 9. However, you can't advance beyond that, so the level 6 priests who succeed will be more powerful in the long run. As monster advancement became more common and Lolth's depiction shifted from "spider with a drow's head" to "drider", this started making less and less sense.

"Then I saw there was a way to Hell even from the gates of Heaven"
- John Bunyan, Pilgrim's Progress

Fatum Iustum Stultorum. Righteous is the destiny of fools.

The Roleplayer's Gazebo;
http://theroleplayersgazebo.yuku.com/directory#.Ub4hvvlJOAY
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 09 Apr 2011 :  18:31:47  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Been thinking about this.

Yes Lolth does take a spider form, however a beautiful spider form.

Driders in past editions were ugly forms. Drow like all elves want to be about beauty and beautiful people.

Driders on a scale of 1 to 10 (10 being best) come in at a -5

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 09 Apr 2011 :  19:30:16  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm with MT on this one.

In my own Realms campaign I never understood the "punishment" of being turned into a Drider. In fact, Driders became very prominent in my game; having a "Drider King" that, while admittedly being a half-fiend Drow to start with, became a very bad-ass Drider (who remained a half-fiend).

He considered it a freedom of sorts...because he was allowed to leave Drow society and go on his own; and slowly gathered more and more Drider to his cause. The end-result being that he became a Drider "King" after a fashion and his followers were exceedingly dangrous to anyone...especially Drow.

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!

Edited by - Dalor Darden on 09 Apr 2011 19:30:50
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 10 Apr 2011 :  04:01:05  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dalor Darden

I'm with MT on this one.

In my own Realms campaign I never understood the "punishment" of being turned into a Drider. In fact, Driders became very prominent in my game; having a "Drider King" that, while admittedly being a half-fiend Drow to start with, became a very bad-ass Drider (who remained a half-fiend).

He considered it a freedom of sorts...because he was allowed to leave Drow society and go on his own; and slowly gathered more and more Drider to his cause. The end-result being that he became a Drider "King" after a fashion and his followers were exceedingly dangrous to anyone...especially Drow.

Ever since tossing out the idea in another thread, I've loved the idea of driders becoming a political power in a drow city, serving as a combination of militia and Bregan D'aerthe. If they figured out a way to increase their numbers by turning willing drow into driders, they could become quite prominent in this hypothetical city.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 10 Apr 2011 :  04:08:30  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Dalor Darden

I'm with MT on this one.

Ever since tossing out the idea in another thread, I've loved the idea of driders becoming a political power in a drow city, serving as a combination of militia and Bregan D'aerthe. If they figured out a way to increase their numbers by turning willing drow into driders, they could become quite prominent in this hypothetical city.

I actually combined that with my own thinking on the subject, when I implemented some of this stuff for the "Tel Verinal" project. Though, I focused more on the concept of creating a legitimate drider "community" by initially having these driders sell themselves as militia in order to found some kind of financial base for the later establishment a "drider city" somewhere in the Underdark.

Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 10 Apr 2011 :  05:59:47  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have a group of prominent Driders in the Spiderhaunt peaks over by Murghôm and Semphar. I'm not sure if I homebrewed that, or it's based on something I read - I'll have to double-check it and get back to you guys.

I know those mountains are crawling with all sorts of spiders, in a variety of sizes, but I'm not sure about the Driders, as I said.

I also have an on-going war between the driders and tlincallis (Scorpionmen) since their arrival in Faerûn. You could always use that as a basis for their acceptance now - perhaps the Tlincallis posed a serious threat to one or more drow communities, and the driders are the only ones who can challenge them (maybe they are immune to their poison, or some such). So the driders went from being outcasts to being saviors.

Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 10 Apr 2011 :  22:29:05  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have recently been running an on-line RP over on Chosen of Eilistraee, where I used a small colony of "evolved" driders. The plot hook there was that they had found a way to turn others into driders to increase their numbers, and had also been "blessed" by Lolth (in a dream-vision sent to a drider priestess) to be able to breed and have children. They were snatching priestesses leading patrols in the Underdark to convert for breeding purposes, just outside the territory of Menzoberranzan. I built off of Wooly and Sage's ideas for Tel Verinal, and ran with it. Now they have their own small community, though it's not yet self-sustaining, and they had kidnapped three females from the party as part of their breeding program. Makes for some very fun and intriguing RP! (Does one kill a driderling? Especially if one is an Eilistraeean?)

The Goddess is alive, and magic is afoot.

"Where Science ends, Magic begins" -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

"You idiots! You've captured their STUNT doubles!" -Spaceballs

Lothir's character background/stats: http://forum.candlekeep.com/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=5469

My stories:
http://z3.invisionfree.com/Mickeys_Comic_Tavern/index.php?showforum=188

Lothir, courtesy of Sylinde (Deviant Art)/Luaxena (Chosen of Eilistraee)
http://sylinde.deviantart.com/#/d2z6e4u
Go to Top of Page

Laerrigan
Learned Scribe

USA
195 Posts

Posted - 11 Apr 2011 :  01:04:11  Show Profile  Visit Laerrigan's Homepage Send Laerrigan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Driders are Always Evil. Save the world. Farm XP.

Go to Top of Page

AleksanderTheGreat
Seeker

90 Posts

Posted - 11 Apr 2011 :  07:18:52  Show Profile Send AleksanderTheGreat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not to mention that they're insane and bloodthirsty. I could see 1 in a 1000 exception (i.e. drider PC) but whole colonies/cities? Not a chance (at least pre-failplague).

Fighting for order! - Join me in the battle!
Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 11 Apr 2011 :  17:22:34  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, another poster once pointed out that they would still have some of the basic drow needs for companionship and "community", so why not congregate in colonies? There are even some spiders who build communal webs, so it's not outside the "Realms" of possibility.

The Goddess is alive, and magic is afoot.

"Where Science ends, Magic begins" -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

"You idiots! You've captured their STUNT doubles!" -Spaceballs

Lothir's character background/stats: http://forum.candlekeep.com/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=5469

My stories:
http://z3.invisionfree.com/Mickeys_Comic_Tavern/index.php?showforum=188

Lothir, courtesy of Sylinde (Deviant Art)/Luaxena (Chosen of Eilistraee)
http://sylinde.deviantart.com/#/d2z6e4u
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 12 Apr 2011 :  18:16:26  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The other day, I thought of a way around the insane/bloodthirsty bit, for driders...

A traitor-priestess.

So you've got this traitor-priestess we'll call Eredrina. No meaning to the name, just pulled it out of thin air.

Eredrina serves Lolth openly, and Vhaeraun secretly, for those unfamiliar with the traitor-priestess concept. She is one day involved with (or does it by herself) the ritual to turn a drow into a drider. With intimate knowledge of the process and more than a little assistance from Vhaeraun, she figures out a way to do it that allows the drider to retain his prior personality. The new drider (we'll call him Peiter ) becomes a priest of Vhaeraun, and he learns that same altered ritual... Give it a few centuries, and you've got a growing population of intelligent, reasoning driders, capable of increasing their numbers.

Or, for a simpler alternative -- a ritual that restores the original personality of a drider. Either way, you get the same end result.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2011 :  01:36:49  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

The other day, I thought of a way around the insane/bloodthirsty bit, for driders...

A traitor-priestess.

So you've got this traitor-priestess we'll call Eredrina. No meaning to the name, just pulled it out of thin air.

Eredrina serves Lolth openly, and Vhaeraun secretly, for those unfamiliar with the traitor-priestess concept. She is one day involved with (or does it by herself) the ritual to turn a drow into a drider. With intimate knowledge of the process and more than a little assistance from Vhaeraun, she figures out a way to do it that allows the drider to retain his prior personality. The new drider (we'll call him Peiter ) becomes a priest of Vhaeraun, and he learns that same altered ritual... Give it a few centuries, and you've got a growing population of intelligent, reasoning driders, capable of increasing their numbers.

Or, for a simpler alternative -- a ritual that restores the original personality of a drider. Either way, you get the same end result.

I like the addition of Vhaeraun.

And for an extra-ultra twist, why not have Vhaeraun lay the foundation for this drider community on the suface? I'd imagine a growing community of intelligent driders would be of immense usefulness to Vhaeraun's ambitions in the Night Above.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000