Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Introducing the Uninitiated to the Realms
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Cleric Generic
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
565 Posts

Posted - 04 Apr 2011 :  17:07:16  Show Profile  Visit Cleric Generic's Homepage Send Cleric Generic a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Greetings one and all!

Right, so I haven't been doing much Realms or DnD related stuff for a while, but now I'm back, and back with a crop of completely new players. And when I say new, I mean only vaguely aware of DnD, and completely unaware of what a campaign setting is, let alone the Realms.

I am pleased to report, however, that a couple of sessions in they are all thoroughly enjoying DnD, with each session so far ending in loud demands for more gaming in the nearest possible future (I claim no credit, they're pretty good at making their own adventure).

What I want to do is, once the novelty of setting imaginary taverns on fire begins to cool, start drip feeding them tasty bits of everyones favourite setting. I've already put some basic notes and links up on the games Facebook group, and explained what a campaign setting is, a bit about Faerun, etc, but I was wondering if there are any pearls of wisdom anyone could chuck me re: introducing people to the Realms?The game is set in Cormyr, as it happens.

Cheers in advance, goodly sages!

Cedric! The Cleric Generic and Master of Disguise!

ALL HAIL LORD KARSUS!!!

Vast Realmslore Archive: Get in here and download everything! http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/archfr/rl

2e Realms book PDFs; grab em! - http://poleandrope.blogspot.com/2010/07/working-around-purge.html

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3738 Posts

Posted - 04 Apr 2011 :  18:07:39  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-If they like to read, my first tip is to have them pick up one of the Realms of X anthology books, because those usually have a bunch of stories, that take place in a bunch of different places, in various timelines. They can pick a topic they like (Elves, Dragons, Magic, the Undead, etc.), and get a feel for certain areas, people, organizations, events, and so on.

-If they aren't particularly interested in reading, or don't have the time, getting and flipping through the Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting is a good starting point. I would normally recommend A Grand History of the Realms, but that doesn't go into the kind of cultural detail that the FRCS does. If they have access to either, reading them in conjunction- learning about what the world is like, and who populates it in the FRCS, and then learning how the world got to be the way it is in AGHotR is probably optimal. If you're playing in the 4e setting, then on top of all that, you'll probably want to have them flip through the Forgotten Realms Campaign Guide, so they can see how the world changed from 1375 DR~ to 1479 DR. I wouldn't recommend the 4e Forgotten Realms Player's Guide, unless you're playing with the 4e rules, and want Forgotten Realms-specific character options and such. The FRCG is superior to that for both DMs and players.

(And, as an aside, not that I mind, but why am I being hailed so boldly?)

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerūn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerūn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium

Edited by - Lord Karsus on 04 Apr 2011 18:08:17
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 04 Apr 2011 :  18:28:07  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wheels within wheels, and ruins beneath ruins.

If you leave no stone unturned, all you will find is another set of stones - its depth is bottomless.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Cleric Generic
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
565 Posts

Posted - 04 Apr 2011 :  19:00:46  Show Profile  Visit Cleric Generic's Homepage Send Cleric Generic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
hmmm... good point with the novels and sourcebooks, but I don't think they have the right streak of geekery or the inclination to spend their free time reading them. I was thinking more in-game means to prep them for a Faerunian citizenship test, I'll definitely be farming the sourcebooks for tidbits though.

I like the wheels within wheels theme, should be good.

also, bold hailing?

ALL HAIL LORD KARSUS!!!

Vast Realmslore Archive: Get in here and download everything! http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/archfr/rl

2e Realms book PDFs; grab em! - http://poleandrope.blogspot.com/2010/07/working-around-purge.html
Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 04 Apr 2011 :  19:20:49  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd give them the FRCS to peruse during the game, or perhaps for a few minutes before or after. The Races of Faerun and Faiths and Pantheons might also help them get a feel for the world's different races and gods, which will help immensely. If they're at all into video games, either console or PC, try to get them interested in the NWN or Balder's Gate games (any of them). D&D Heroes might also give them a feel for the game, as would Demon Stone, especially since that one has appearances by several famous NPC's! These games can not only give them some idea of the setting, but will whet their appetites in between game sessions.

The Goddess is alive, and magic is afoot.

"Where Science ends, Magic begins" -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

"You idiots! You've captured their STUNT doubles!" -Spaceballs

Lothir's character background/stats: http://forum.candlekeep.com/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=5469

My stories:
http://z3.invisionfree.com/Mickeys_Comic_Tavern/index.php?showforum=188

Lothir, courtesy of Sylinde (Deviant Art)/Luaxena (Chosen of Eilistraee)
http://sylinde.deviantart.com/#/d2z6e4u
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 04 Apr 2011 :  19:38:06  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
*Blink* Setting Taverns afire?

As to the question, often it is easy to say small communities do not know the outer world. Oh might know name of ruler, more certainly know the name of the tax collector.

Without knowing more about party the best I can offer is something like this:

They start in a small town or village on the border of Cormyr, however finding themselves better then farmers start to expand their travel (burning every Tavern they find? ) until begin encounter people that they do not kill on sight.

It reads right now as hash and slash, to moderate that clearly you need a friendly NPC that can not be killed easy. The NPC to become a mentor to offer some guides to greater treasure and provide greater information about the wider world. Care should be used with a powerful NPC and should not become a member of the party, just visit from time to time. There of course other ways to teach the PCs about a wider world as well. A trader passing though and allowed to live. A bard seeking lore. An elder recalling the old days.

The "novelty of setting imaginary taverns on fire" is not the type of game I would DM, however if you and the players are enjoying the game that is what is important.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon

Edited by - Kentinal on 04 Apr 2011 20:44:21
Go to Top of Page

Cleric Generic
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
565 Posts

Posted - 04 Apr 2011 :  20:06:25  Show Profile  Visit Cleric Generic's Homepage Send Cleric Generic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
hehe, yeah, it's been carnage so far, but we're only two sessions in, and as the RPG experience is still entirely new I think they're just getting a bit of crazy out of their system. At the end of session two they were planning how to infiltrate the goblin cave and capture their leader for interrogation, and post-game chat was all about the developing plot, so I doubt mindless violence and arson will be the defining features of the game for much longer.

And come on, what kind of adventuring party doesn't set fire to stuff occasionally? :) As for the party make-up, we have a psychotic dwarven fighter (guess who set fire to the pub?), a fairly standard issue elven ranger, a gnomish wizard, a halfling rogue, a tiefling monk, and a daeva avenger (reincarnating former angel, holy assassin if ur not familiar with 4e classes and races).

Excellent point with the isolated communities; they're in the bum-end of nowhere (well, just north-east of Tyrluk, Cormyr). That and passing the source-books around in addition to in game stuff should be good. Basically, I'm planning ahead for when they start getting bored of mayhem for it's own sake and need a slightly more developed excuse.

ALL HAIL LORD KARSUS!!!

Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 04 Apr 2011 :  20:46:02  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I do hope my ideas aid your game, each game is as it develops and that it is how it should be.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 04 Apr 2011 :  20:57:12  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
They burned-down a tavern in CORMYR?

I hope you have someone waiting to severely question them at some point (who may 'force' them to do some discreet 'dirty work' for the Crown in lieu of a jail sentence).

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 04 Apr 2011 :  21:12:15  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

They burned-down a tavern in CORMYR?

I hope you have someone waiting to severely question them at some point (who may 'force' them to do some discreet 'dirty work' for the Crown in lieu of a jail sentence).

On the borders. Might not be within the undefined borders.

Besides it might have been an accident *wink*

Not sure the DM wants attention of Crown focused on the party this soon. *G*, oh and if they pull off the goblin attempt some certainly could be forgiven.

Go to Top of Page

Cleric Generic
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
565 Posts

Posted - 04 Apr 2011 :  21:14:22  Show Profile  Visit Cleric Generic's Homepage Send Cleric Generic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kentinal

I do hope my ideas aid your game, each game is as it develops and that it is how it should be.

Here here. And yes, you've all been quite helpful.

Markustay: yeah, I think a little meeting with a firm but polite Purple Dragon or War Wizard when they finish with the goblins might be in order. He/she/it should be a handy medium by which to throw lore at them as well.

EDIT: they're less than an hour north-east from Tyrluk, which is about 30 miles east from the High Horn (in the north-west corner of the Storm Horns). I don't mind them coming to the authorities, I just have to make sure it doesn't mess up the free form type of game they want (and they don't think they can slaughter them).

ALL HAIL LORD KARSUS!!!

Edited by - Cleric Generic on 04 Apr 2011 21:17:55
Go to Top of Page

Halidan
Senior Scribe

USA
470 Posts

Posted - 04 Apr 2011 :  23:48:48  Show Profile  Visit Halidan's Homepage Send Halidan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
One of the things I do with all of my campaigns is to give the players handouts that describe the local area and give them some recent bits of history and an overview of current events. As the players move around the map, and talk with people, they get new pages with new (and even contridictory) information.

For your current campaign in Tyrluk, I'd provide them some information about the town, rumors of what's going on down the roads in Esper and Evenstar, a couple of old legands about some ruins in the Stormhorn Mountains, and maybe a lead on a job or two. Not a comprehensive history of all Cormyr, but just enough to get their feet wet in FR lore and a few hints about any current events that might effect future games.

"Over the Mountains
Of the Moon
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride,"
The shade replied,
"If you seek for Eldorado!"

Edgar Allen Poe - 1849
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3738 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2011 :  03:11:10  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Cleric Generic

hmmm... good point with the novels and sourcebooks, but I don't think they have the right streak of geekery or the inclination to spend their free time reading them. I was thinking more in-game means to prep them for a Faerunian citizenship test, I'll definitely be farming the sourcebooks

also, bold hailing?

-If they don't have the inclination to read novels, makes sense. But, they have to at least flip through the FRCS- can't make characters without knowing the world. Have them come over, flip through it, and brainstorm with you when they make the charactets- the book is their 'Lonely Planet Guidebook' and you're the tourguide showing them around.

-Your signature. In large, bolded block text, you're hailing me. For what reason?

-I'm posting on my phone, so excuse any spelling errors.

Elves of Faerūn
Go to Top of Page

Cleric Generic
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
565 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2011 :  16:03:15  Show Profile  Visit Cleric Generic's Homepage Send Cleric Generic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Halidan: handouts, love it, consider that idea nicked.

Dagnirion: false prophet! Karsus needs no disguise, incarnate or otherwise! ;) As for the FRCS, I'll definitely start passing it round during sessions. Only two of the 6 players have expressed a desire to create new characters to replace the pre-fab training character-sheets I whipped up for the first session, and those that remain have had pretty decent characters developing on them (thusfar devoid of much background or setting integration, but I expect that'll come once the setting gets introduced).

One thing I might do is, as they're curently slaughtering goblins, use any captives the acquire or crude murals they come across to brief them on the Goblin Wars, Nalavara, etc, etc...

ALL HAIL LORD KARSUS!!!

Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Asmodeus
Master of Realmslore

1221 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2011 :  17:42:02  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Asmodeus's Homepage Send Chosen of Asmodeus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Had to deal with something similar a while back; was running a game with three people who's only knowledge of the realms stemmed from reading Drizzt novels and another who'd never heard of the realms before. Way I went about it was, when helping them come up with their characters, I suggested they create characters that would be inherently ignorant of the setting they weren't familiar with. I explained the bare bones mechanics to them and let them discover through play, while they did research on their own time.

End result; I wouldn't recommend it. Didn't work out very well.

"Then I saw there was a way to Hell even from the gates of Heaven"
- John Bunyan, Pilgrim's Progress

Fatum Iustum Stultorum. Righteous is the destiny of fools.

The Roleplayer's Gazebo;
http://theroleplayersgazebo.yuku.com/directory#.Ub4hvvlJOAY
Go to Top of Page

Cleric Generic
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
565 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2011 :  18:20:19  Show Profile  Visit Cleric Generic's Homepage Send Cleric Generic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
heh, oh dear... Well, if the game winds up being virtually lore-less it won't be a total disaster as long as everyone's happy, but I doubt that'll be the case. I've very much taken the 'learn by doing' path with this game; I just handed people character sheets and told them they were in a generic medieval pub and explained how stuff worked as we went along, so the player's and their character's knowledge of the Realms will gradually develop retrospectively.

If I may ask, what didn't work so well with your intro to the setting? Did the players not have much entheusiasm for doing the homework, or not much fussed with setting fluff in general?

ALL HAIL LORD KARSUS!!!

Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 06 Apr 2011 :  15:35:15  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A bit of this and a bit of that at a time. Introduce some aspects slowly (clergy of a deity) with lots of recurring stuff, baddies, organizations, etc...

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3738 Posts

Posted - 06 Apr 2011 :  18:33:25  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Dagnirion: false prophet! Karsus needs no disguise, incarnate or otherwise! ;) As for the FRCS, I'll definitely start passing it round during sessions. Only two of the 6 players have expressed a desire to create new characters to replace the pre-fab training character-sheets I whipped up for the first session, and those that remain have had pretty decent characters developing on them (thusfar devoid of much background or setting integration, but I expect that'll come once the setting gets introduced).

-Called a false prophet by my own worshiper. It hurts.

-If they have characters with pre-made backgrounds, still gotta pass the book around to a degree, so they know just what those backgrounds mean. To use an example, to have a Drow from Menzoberranzan being all "Lolth sucks!" openly? Not a good thing.

Elves of Faerūn
Go to Top of Page

Cleric Generic
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
565 Posts

Posted - 06 Apr 2011 :  21:05:41  Show Profile  Visit Cleric Generic's Homepage Send Cleric Generic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The characters were pre-made, but they were just raw stats with Ed the Elf and Dan the Dwarf name-tags on them. The original idea was that they'd be used for the one shot intro session and then proper characters would be made at the start of the next session (first proper session. But as it turned out everybody liked the training characters I threw together so much that they're content to keep them (for now) and build up their own characters and background. Once the setting is a bit more established, I'm sure people will start getting their own ideas about their own characters.

It's quite good, as a DM, having a crop of completely new players; a small mob of goblins in a cave is still an exciting novelty, so I get ot play with all the 'classics' without illiciting groans from the players. :)

ALL HAIL LORD KARSUS!!!

Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3738 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2011 :  06:28:46  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

It's quite good, as a DM, having a crop of completely new players; a small mob of goblins in a cave is still an exciting novelty, so I get ot play with all the 'classics' without illiciting groans from the players. :)

-Eh, that I mostly disagree with, it being a boon to have people who are completely foreign to the setting. For me, anyway. I have my own world, and it's frustrating, to a degree, when someone makes up, say, a Dwarf living in the "Oriental" section of my world. Outsiders are unwelcome, I say, and Dwarves are extinct. OK, they respond, and then make something else that wouldn't particularly exist. It's fun having complete free reign over things, and being their sole guide to learning about my world, but it causes more annoyance to me, personally, that them being able to go into my mind, become as familiar with it as I am, and play. That's why I like playing in the Forgotten Realms game I play in. Four people- my DM, my girlfriend, and a friend- all very familiar with the world.

Elves of Faerūn
Go to Top of Page

Cleric Generic
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
565 Posts

Posted - 12 May 2011 :  19:57:43  Show Profile  Visit Cleric Generic's Homepage Send Cleric Generic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I BESEECH THEE, VELSHAROON! BESTOW UPON ME THE DARK BLESSING OF THREAD NECROMANCY!!!

Quick update; the no-longer-noobs have somehow managed to survive their 5th full-bore DnD session, and are now hopelessly lost in the Haunted Halls of Eveningstar, where they are rapidly running out of torches and healing potions... Previously, they learned valuable lessons about splitting the party in hostile territory, eating colourful mushrooms, and taking shortcuts in the performanct of mystery summoning rituals. They're all still loving it and haven't yet faltered in their creative madness.

The game hasn't developed a hugely lore heavy element yet, but (good natured) arguments about which deities are best and which nation they should conquer first are frequent, and everyone's showing plenty of interest in the lore topic digests I post up on the game website every now and then.

ALL HAIL LORD KARSUS!!!

Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 12 May 2011 :  21:12:13  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not sure what help you ask for.

Being lost might be fixed by finding a map.
It clearly is possible that foes encountered might have torches and healing potions as treasure.

As DM it is not your job to save the party from foolish choices, however it clearly is alright to try to balance the odds some depending on the choices they made. You indicate the players are learning to work together, maybe them finding an NPC that they do not kill might be solution form killing PCs of the party.

Go to Top of Page

Cleric Generic
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
565 Posts

Posted - 12 May 2011 :  21:49:29  Show Profile  Visit Cleric Generic's Homepage Send Cleric Generic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
hehe, nah, they'll be fine. I'm not asking for advice or assistance, I was just updating anyone who might be interested on the doings of a bunch of adventurers running rough-shod over the Realms.

ALL HAIL LORD KARSUS!!!

Go to Top of Page

chamber101
Seeker

57 Posts

Posted - 12 May 2011 :  22:41:10  Show Profile Send chamber101 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The 'Four From Cormyr' adventure was designed to introduce a group to Cormyr. It was 2nd edition and am pretty sure its available for free download.
Anyway, I never rated the adventure itself much but there was plenty of flavour and fluff that kind of falls into the players lap as they travel so they are learning about the country and its laws, history, important npcs etc as they go.
I have no interest in 4ed so I am ignorant of what is happening in Cormyr during that time line but I am sure it wouldnt take much work to update 'Four From Cormyr'
I cant find a working link for it but I am pretty sure wizards offered it free.

Edited by - chamber101 on 12 May 2011 22:41:49
Go to Top of Page

Cleric Generic
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
565 Posts

Posted - 12 May 2011 :  22:53:30  Show Profile  Visit Cleric Generic's Homepage Send Cleric Generic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
hmmm, I'll look into it, cheers. I've got a scruffy old copy of the Haunted Halls 2e adventure which has been a brilliant source of fluff, not to mention the humping great dungeon map.

As it happens, I'm using 4e mechanics but the Realms itself (as I'm currently running it) is more pre-Plague than anything else, with the best bits abd some homebrew shoehorned in. The game hasn't moved much beyond the strip of road between Tyrluk and Eveningstar just yet so there haven't been a vast number of oppertunities to submerge ourselves in lore just yet, however this crop of players seem far more interested in creating their own story than exploring existing setting background so there's probably not much point in worrying about it too much just yet.

ALL HAIL LORD KARSUS!!!

Go to Top of Page

Aldrick
Senior Scribe

909 Posts

Posted - 13 May 2011 :  17:30:42  Show Profile Send Aldrick a Private Message  Reply with Quote
They're interested in conquering kingdoms? Perhaps a meeting with agents from the Zhentarim are in order. I'm sure the Zhents would be more than willing to use the group to accomplish their goals.

You could also lead them out of Cormyr and into the Tunlands. The Tunlands are technically claimed by the crown, but the crown has no influence or power there. It provides the PC's with an opportunity to raise an army, while meanwhile suppressing / beating into submission local tribes. They could then march their army into the Western Heartlands, north toward Shade, south toward the Dragon Coast, or east into Cormyr. Not to mention that they'd have easy access to the Western Heartlands and the Dragon Coast so they can hire mercenaries.

I'd crack open Power of Faerūn if you've got it. You might have to do some adaption since you're using the 4E rules, but it does give you a good starting point.

Also... since their ambitions require lots of gold, it is a good excuse for pillaging. The fallen dwarven kingdom of Oghrann is below the Tunlands, which could be a good place to start.

If you want to let them have a go at conquering Cormyr, I'd say they'd definitely need strong allies either in the Zhents or the Netherese.

Keep us updated on how the game goes. I love reading about other people's games, and the shenanigans they get themselves into.
Go to Top of Page

Cleric Generic
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
565 Posts

Posted - 13 May 2011 :  21:31:18  Show Profile  Visit Cleric Generic's Homepage Send Cleric Generic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Good stuff there, Aldrick, thanks. I was dimly aware of the Tunlands as relatively lawless territory, but I hadn't realised that Oghrann extended through/below it; definitely good to know considering the de facto party leader is a rather bloodthirsty Dwarf. Any actually conquest above the level of bullying a few goblins and bandits into submission is (thankfully) a fair way off yet, but I reckon when the time comes that heading out ot the Moonsea and Thar to raise an army of darkness might tickle their fancy.

I've got a marathon length session scheduled for tomorrow (then Eurovision finals! woohoo!), so I'll be sure to take notes and get a decent write up of the session posted. I'll also try and do readable summaries of past sessions as well if I can get round to it.

ALL HAIL LORD KARSUS!!!

Go to Top of Page

Banter Darkdirk
Acolyte

USA
18 Posts

Posted - 13 May 2011 :  22:04:33  Show Profile Send Banter Darkdirk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I had a new group once that had never played in the Realms. To help them understand the Realms a bit, I had the group visit a tavern in town where an NPC bard was on stage telling fun and exciting stories (basically the stories/novels I had read regarding the Realms). Some of the facts were skewed a bit to give it the "second-hand knowledge" feel that I thought appropriate for a minor bard to have (the fish is always 10 times larger than it actually was).

The group really liked the short stories and even wanted to see some of the places mentioned.

I also allowed the group to purchase some chapbooks when they were in/around Waterdeep with a few stories in it as well.

Sorry, simple tactics, but it was as much fun for me retelling the tales as it was for them to hear them. It also was a good way for them to gain this knowledge "in-game", rather than stuffing a novel or source book into their hands and saying "learn the Realms by tomorrow".

Sellsword for hire; sometimes mage...most times thief.

"Stealth and wariness are virtues, as are glibness and the skill to say one thing and mean another, twisting a situation to your advantage."
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3738 Posts

Posted - 14 May 2011 :  06:36:24  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Banter Darkdirk

I had a new group once that had never played in the Realms. To help them understand the Realms a bit, I had the group visit a tavern in town where an NPC bard was on stage telling fun and exciting stories (basically the stories/novels I had read regarding the Realms). Some of the facts were skewed a bit to give it the "second-hand knowledge" feel that I thought appropriate for a minor bard to have (the fish is always 10 times larger than it actually was).

The group really liked the short stories and even wanted to see some of the places mentioned.

I also allowed the group to purchase some chapbooks when they were in/around Waterdeep with a few stories in it as well.

Sorry, simple tactics, but it was as much fun for me retelling the tales as it was for them to hear them. It also was a good way for them to gain this knowledge "in-game", rather than stuffing a novel or source book into their hands and saying "learn the Realms by tomorrow".

-That's a pretty damn good idea. The only rub would be hoping that the players are interested in actually listening to what you (the bard) are saying. Next time I play D&D, if I get the opportunity to do so, I'm going to use this scenario.

Elves of Faerūn
Go to Top of Page

CaptainTrips
Acolyte

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 15 May 2011 :  13:52:28  Show Profile Send CaptainTrips a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by chamber101

The 'Four From Cormyr' adventure was designed to introduce a group to Cormyr. It was 2nd edition and am pretty sure its available for free download.
Anyway, I never rated the adventure itself much but there was plenty of flavour and fluff that kind of falls into the players lap as they travel so they are learning about the country and its laws, history, important npcs etc as they go.
I have no interest in 4ed so I am ignorant of what is happening in Cormyr during that time line but I am sure it wouldnt take much work to update 'Four From Cormyr'
I cant find a working link for it but I am pretty sure wizards offered it free.

Here it is, right here on Candlekeep:

http://www.candlekeep.com/bookshelf/downloads.htm
Go to Top of Page

Cleric Generic
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
565 Posts

Posted - 15 May 2011 :  14:34:02  Show Profile  Visit Cleric Generic's Homepage Send Cleric Generic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CaptainTrips

Here it is, right here on Candlekeep:

http://www.candlekeep.com/bookshelf/downloads.htm

those links appear to be dead, unfortunately.

Yesterday's marathon was fairly eventful. Highlights include;

- the party getting bounced off the walls by a manifestation of Whisper's ghost, resulting in their now severe phobia of puddles.

- capturing ther kobold that had been stalking them in the dungeon for days, learning that the creatures have a citadel in the dungeon, and severely botching their attempts to negotiate/threaten their way in. the party has previously learned that kobolds in the area are harbouring an especially valuable dragon egg that local goblins are particularly keen on acquiring.

- triggered statue-mounted lightning traps that, upon deactivation, remotely threw open the main gates of the Haunted Halls and allowed the zombie horde that chased the party in in the first instance to pour in. they were obliterated, including the giant mega-zombie, by some brilliant tactics on the party's part involving secret tunnels, psychological warfare and HUGE ammounts of fire.

- Eldon, the gnomish wizard, whose player was late to the game, cursed the rest of the party with a severe case of the squits for being stuffed in the bag of holding prior to the player's arrival.

I really like the idea of a storytelling bard filling the party's head with travel and adventure ideas, and writing up chapbooks for the party of purchase is genius!

ALL HAIL LORD KARSUS!!!

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000