Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 If you were a Wizard...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 04 Apr 2011 :  16:52:15  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sage, is that book available anywhere in PDF? I'd love to see it! sounds like something I could mine for ideas!

The Goddess is alive, and magic is afoot.

"Where Science ends, Magic begins" -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

"You idiots! You've captured their STUNT doubles!" -Spaceballs

Lothir's character background/stats: http://forum.candlekeep.com/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=5469

My stories:
http://z3.invisionfree.com/Mickeys_Comic_Tavern/index.php?showforum=188

Lothir, courtesy of Sylinde (Deviant Art)/Luaxena (Chosen of Eilistraee)
http://sylinde.deviantart.com/#/d2z6e4u
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 04 Apr 2011 :  17:06:17  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's available as a PDF... but I feel it's worth pointing out that this was a 3e source released around 2003 as I recall. You'll probably find it wherever most of the other 3e Monte Cook PDF sources are sold. I'm thinking RPGNow and DriveThruRPG.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 04 Apr 2011 :  17:08:26  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And I just checked montecook.com, where the PDF can be purchased from his online store too:- http://www.montecook.com/mpress_BOEM2.html

Edited by - The Sage on 04 Apr 2011 17:09:13
Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 04 Apr 2011 :  17:13:58  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's fine. I love most of the se sources. There is so much amazing stuff out there for it. I have the Gygax Extrordinary Book of Names, and use it all the time. Thanks for the tip!

Lothir's character background/stats: http://forum.candlekeep.com/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=5469

My stories:

Go to Top of Page

ChieftainTwilight
Learned Scribe

171 Posts

Posted - 04 Apr 2011 :  18:05:29  Show Profile Send ChieftainTwilight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
eh.... I wouldn't be a wizard, though... >.> if I were a Mage, I'm more of a Sorcerer kinda guy. XD

that said, I'd probably tick to Illusion mostly. =w=

and a heart can only break so many times
and I've been to hell and back so many times
and I've seen folks walk away so many times
but just like anyone else I gotta stand up by myself
a heart can only break so many times
Go to Top of Page

Firestorm
Senior Scribe

Canada
826 Posts

Posted - 04 Apr 2011 :  19:35:15  Show Profile Send Firestorm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Abenabin Gimblescrew

Evocation, Enchantment, Divination, and Illusion would be my picks. Possibly Conjuration if I was feeling in the mood to track a lot of creatures.

Out of that list, to narrow it further, I'd say my top two are Illusion and Evocation. I either really want to blow something up or completely fool whatever it is I'm fighting I can make the city of Luskan truly disappear!

Same picks for me. Particularly illusion and Divination.
Go to Top of Page

Thelonius
Senior Scribe

Spain
730 Posts

Posted - 04 Apr 2011 :  20:08:52  Show Profile Send Thelonius a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Though I don't like closing doors to any kind of magic if I was forced to choose one school I'd be without any doubts abjuration, got to love defensive spells, from armor spells to magical protections, there's nothing I like most in a novel that the words "and his spell was deflected by his magical protections"

"If you are to truly understand, then you will need the contrast, not adherence to a single ideal." - Kreia
"I THINK I JUST HAD ANOTHER NEAR-RINCEWIND EXPERIENCE"- Discworld's Death frustrated after Rincewind scapes his grasp... again.
"I am death, come for thee" - Nimbul, from Baldur's Gate I just before being badly spanked
Sapientia sola libertas est
Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 04 Apr 2011 :  22:20:46  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh, I forgot to mention that the class I'm thinking of was before that book, sometime before the Wizards' Spell Compendium came out in 2nd ed.

My stories:

Go to Top of Page

ChieftainTwilight
Learned Scribe

171 Posts

Posted - 04 Apr 2011 :  23:36:27  Show Profile Send ChieftainTwilight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Rainbow Pattern, anyone.

Go to Top of Page

althen artren
Senior Scribe

USA
780 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2011 :  00:11:54  Show Profile Send althen artren a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Enchantment, there are some ladies in RW I
would love to enspell for the evening.
Go to Top of Page

Calmar
Acolyte

49 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2011 :  00:17:47  Show Profile Send Calmar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think illusion and transmutation would be great. They allow you a lot of freedom and might be very useful on a daily basis. :)
Go to Top of Page

Azuth
Senior Scribe

USA
404 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2011 :  05:02:37  Show Profile  Visit Azuth's Homepage Send Azuth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

I've never liked focusing on one school of magic. There are useful spells in all schools, so why limit yourself?

Agreed! I encourage all of them equally! That being said, I enjoy illusion and evocation with equal aplomb. I must add that abjuration is helpful when Chosen of Asmodeus forgets to brush his teeth and needs to be banished.

Azuth, the First Magister
Lord of All Spells

The greatest expression of creativity is through Art.
Offense can never be given, only taken.

Edited by - Azuth on 05 Apr 2011 05:05:28
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2011 :  05:27:08  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My favorite combination EVER was my Ranger/Evoker who used a spell called "Rainbow Shield" which was 4th level...and you could place any 3rd or lower level spell in it which would hit anyone that struck you.

I always placed Vampiric Touch in it and then waded into the enemy! Man...talk about a broken spell!

I never saw it in 3.x or later...has anyone seen it? Rainbow Shield that is...

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7970 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2011 :  07:23:40  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't know any spell by that name ... are ye thinking of prismatic shield, Otiluke's resonant shield, spellturning, rainbow robe of reflection, robe of scintillating colors?

Cast spectral touch or flying fist before working the vampiric touch ... don't forget to ironguard before wading into melee, otherwise wraithform or levitate to remain unharmed. Almost as broken as chromatic orb.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2011 :  07:41:58  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
FOUND IT!

Page 724 of the Wizard's Spell Compendium Volume III!

Rainbow Shield...bad mojo!

It says here it is in the "Seven Sisters" book...and yep it is!

Go to Top of Page

ChieftainTwilight
Learned Scribe

171 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2011 :  16:32:05  Show Profile Send ChieftainTwilight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
dang, that's nice! ._. and here I was, still sending love letters to my Rainbow Pattern spell! XD

Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2011 :  17:26:12  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ChieftainTwilight

dang, that's nice! ._. and here I was, still sending love letters to my Rainbow Pattern spell! XD

Aye...Aerik Stormraven (The Ranger/Evoker Aerik Stormraven...man, I used to suck at coming up with new names! ) picked it up while the party was going through an adventure in the area of Altumbel I think...enemy wizard had it in his spellbook.

Thank the gods that the DM didn't use it on us!

Go to Top of Page

ChieftainTwilight
Learned Scribe

171 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2011 :  17:38:03  Show Profile Send ChieftainTwilight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm still a fan of the Inverse Law of Utility and Lethality. while that spell is epic in combat, think of the amazing Combat AND Out-of-Combat epicness of some of my favourite Spells. >w<

we've got Feather Fall, Expeditions Retreat, Obscuring Mist.

we've got Unseen Servant, Mirror Image, Charm Person.

Alarm, Fly, Dimenshion Door, Teleport, Invisibility, Dream, Ghost Sound, Prestidigation...

seriously, the possibilities. =w=

Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2011 :  17:47:33  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Aye...spells are the whole reason I'll never be able to abandon wizards/magic-users as my favorite class of all time.

Just with the spell Rainbow Shield, I had fun even fighting giants with that one! I mean, sure, they would hit me hard...but I healed more from them than they were dealing out!

Another all time favorite spell of mine found in "The Moonsea" was the spell Eyefire. Page 335 of Wizard's Spell Compendium II. It was an awesome spell to disperse low Hit Die Minions, and then blast away against the REAL badguys! If they missed their saves, their items could even become non-magical!!!

I really like me some Evocation magic.

Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 06 Apr 2011 :  05:12:24  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I can see some posters around hereabouts like to blast things..... Me, I love to dazzle 'em!! (Sunburst, Rainbow Pattern, Glitterdust, Fairie Fire, Ghost Sound, Sculpt Sound, Levitate, Invisibility, Magic Mouth, Haunting Melody, Charm, etc....)

One of my favorite PC "pranks" is to have my bard become invisible, then cast Fairie Fire on himself- makes him look like a flaming ghost!

My stories:

Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 06 Apr 2011 :  06:21:14  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm all about Illusions too...I've had notebooks full of them that I've pulled off in the past; but no longer have them.

I do have several "schemes" as I like to call them...I'll share another day when I have more time.

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2011 :  08:27:55  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

The best road to success would be to master all schools. Which reminds of my own concept of an arguably better Thayan government. The zulkirs would still be masters of their own school of magic. But there would be an Archzulkir, or Zulkir Supreme, who masters all schools and whose decision is absolute, unless challenged by majority of the zulkirs.

Every beginning has an end.

Edited by - Dennis on 07 Apr 2011 08:28:47
Go to Top of Page

Jelennet
Learned Scribe

Russia
131 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2011 :  16:10:16  Show Profile Send Jelennet a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd better become a sorceress. More tactical opportunities. Besides I could never choose between so many interesting schools.
Hey, I'm just curious... English isn't my first language and I have a question. How do you call a female wizard? A wizardess?
Go to Top of Page

Azuth
Senior Scribe

USA
404 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2011 :  16:31:38  Show Profile  Visit Azuth's Homepage Send Azuth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jelennet

I'd better become a sorceress. More tactical opportunities. Besides I could never choose between so many interesting schools.
Hey, I'm just curious... English isn't my first language and I have a question. How do you call a female wizard? A wizardess?

Precisely so.

Azuth, the First Magister
Lord of All Spells

The greatest expression of creativity is through Art.
Offense can never be given, only taken.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2011 :  17:23:21  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Wizardess or simply female wizard. I've seen she-mage on occasion, as well, but "wizard" is an all-encompassing, gender-neutral term, at least in game terms.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

ChieftainTwilight
Learned Scribe

171 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2011 :  20:14:19  Show Profile Send ChieftainTwilight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
yes, a female Wizard is still jut called Wizard (or sometimes Witch, depending on what culture you are from).

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 08 Apr 2011 :  01:41:16  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Wizardess or simply female wizard. I've seen she-mage on occasion, as well, but "wizard" is an all-encompassing, gender-neutral term, at least in game terms.

Ed's touched on this a few times as well, Jelennet. You might consider perusing the "So Saith Ed" archives.

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 08 Apr 2011 :  07:23:19  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

As Azuth and Wooly noted. Personally, I don't use wizardess. Wizard is gender-neuter, so there's no need for me. Strangely, though, "sorcerer" is not gender-neuter. "Sorceress" remains its only female counterpart.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 08 Apr 2011 :  11:48:38  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dennis

quote:

As Azuth and Wooly noted. Personally, I don't use wizardess. Wizard is gender-neuter, so there's no need for me. Strangely, though, "sorcerer" is not gender-neuter. "Sorceress" remains its only female counterpart.

I have a friend who was enamored of the "-ess" suffix, and would take it to extremes -- he actually used words like "rangeress" on multiple occasions. I finally (with the aid of spellcheck!) managed to convince him that it looked really stupid and wasn't a real word.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 08 Apr 2011 :  11:58:29  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Dennis

quote:

I have a friend who was enamored of the "-ess" suffix, and would take it to extremes -- he actually used words like "rangeress" on multiple occasions. I finally (with the aid of spellcheck!) managed to convince him that it looked really stupid and wasn't a real word.

So that would make barbarianess, psionicistess, bardess, magess, paladiness.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000