Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 New big city
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

AleksanderTheGreat
Seeker

90 Posts

Posted - 02 Apr 2011 :  18:54:50  Show Profile Send AleksanderTheGreat a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I like Realms. It's got many lore and that's good. But at the same time it's bad because I don't like to change canon and I'm afraid to add something to the Realms because it could disrupt the setting.
I would like to place a new, large city on Dragon Coast, but when there's alraedy such cities as Westgate, Teziir or Starmantle, I'm hesitant. I can say "It was always there" but wouldn't a new major city comperable to Westgate be a too big influence on the rest of Faerun? Or maybe I'm over-thinking this and it would just be two major cities, "Westgate and X" (instead of just Westgate?

Fighting for order! - Join me in the battle!

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 02 Apr 2011 :  19:12:34  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You are over-thinking it.

When I first started running the Realms, I dropped Greyhawk (a city I was intimately familiar with) into the Dragonmere, with nary a ripple.

Just because a citystate has chosen NOT to get involved in 'global affairs' in the past doesn't mean it is not ready to rise to prominence now. They may have gone through a very long period of 'non-involvement' with outsiders, which they are just now coming out of (and you can even blame THAT on any number of canon historical events... like an orc Horde).

Its YOUR Realms - just have fun with it.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 02 Apr 2011 19:13:43
Go to Top of Page

AleksanderTheGreat
Seeker

90 Posts

Posted - 02 Apr 2011 :  19:17:00  Show Profile Send AleksanderTheGreat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It will be something like Westgate meets Sigil meets Hogwart meets Sharn. :P A big and prestigues magic academy was build there and through the years a city was build around it. Also they live in a quasi-symbiosis which an underground drow city that's located not that deep under it.
Westgate part - the city is mainly evil aligned. There are multiple sinister organizations.
Sigil part - the city is very, VERY tolerant. There are fiends, angels, undead, drows, ilithids, etc.
Hogwart part - well, the academy is an important part of the city.
Sharn part - the city has a couple of condignations. On the ground there are slums and the higher you go the more wealthy and important people live.
What do you think?

Fighting for order! - Join me in the battle!

Edited by - AleksanderTheGreat on 02 Apr 2011 19:23:41
Go to Top of Page

Halidan
Senior Scribe

USA
470 Posts

Posted - 02 Apr 2011 :  20:39:37  Show Profile  Visit Halidan's Homepage Send Halidan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sounds like a great city - I'd put it wherever you want your adventurers to explore. Off the top of my (balding) head, I think it could easily fit anywhere around the Moonsea, in the Border Kingdoms, south of the Lake of Steam, or among the city-states of Chondath. Other scribes will almost certainly have additional opinions.

"Over the Mountains
Of the Moon
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride,"
The shade replied,
"If you seek for Eldorado!"

Edgar Allen Poe - 1849
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 02 Apr 2011 :  20:48:04  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
After describing it, I think for something like that the Dragonmere may be a bit too close to the Heartlands (especially the Drow thing).

I like Halidan's idea of Chondath - it could easily be one of the Blade Kingdoms (those citystates surrounding The Akanamere). All of his suggestions are perfect, really.

You could also stick it on an island, maybe south of Sembia in the middle of the water there. That would probably violate the least canon. You could even make it Prespur, but that would require a tiny bit of tinkering (light canon there).

Except for the Hogawrts part, it sounds similar to what I am creating in my own world.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 02 Apr 2011 20:50:46
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000