Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Adventuring party novels?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

GMWestermeyer
Learned Scribe

USA
215 Posts

Posted - 16 Mar 2011 :  03:26:16  Show Profile  Visit GMWestermeyer's Homepage Send GMWestermeyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
It seems an interesting absence to me, that almost no fantasy novels feature a tradtional D&D adventuring party, especially a traditional AD&D style, old-school dungeon crawling party.

Are there any newer Realms novels that I might have missed which do this? Excluding Ed's Knights of Myth Drannor novels, I love Ed but I was really disappointed in those novels - the characters never stop to think or breath. :( And they never seemed to really do the traditional meet in a tavern and then go plunder a dungeon type deal anyway. :(

I've always wondered why no one has written a novel about such a band, given its built in RPG crowd appeal. It seems like this would be a natural for a Realms novel, delving into Undermountain, for example, but insteadmost Realms novels really focus on a single protagonist. Or two, in the case of many of Elaine's novels.

Hmmm... come to think of it the recently reprinted old-style FR comic series both revovled around an 'adventuring party.' Maybe the comic format seemed more friendly to that, since we hadthe old Avengers and Justice League models?

Any thoughts?

"Facts are meaningless. You can use facts to prove anything that is even remotely true."
Homer Simpson, _The Simspons_

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 16 Mar 2011 :  15:16:32  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You might check out RLB's Brotherhood of the Griffon novels. They feature a group dynamic.

Are you more interested in a pre-existing group (i.e. together before the novel started) or a join-forces sort of group (i.e. individuals who band together at some point in the novel)? Or does it not matter?

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 16 Mar 2011 :  16:25:59  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The newest Pathfinder Tales novel, Plague of Shadows also has a pretty good party dynamic.

Errant d20 Designer - My Blog (last updated January 06, 2016)

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back. --Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Reference Document (PFRPG OGL Rules)
* The Hypertext d20 SRD (3.5 OGL Rules)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Heroes of the Jade Oath (PFRPG, conversion; Rite Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Martial Arts Guidebook (forthcoming) (PFRPG, designer; Rite Publishing)
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 16 Mar 2011 :  17:26:05  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi. GMWestermeyer, re.: "the traditional meet in a tavern and then go plunder a dungeon type deal anyway."
I recall having a long, leisurely chat with the TSR Books folks at a Chicago Book Expo America more than a decade ago, while Ed was happily signing and giving away hundreds of copies of his then-latest book, and from what said then, the very thing you are looking for was ACTIVELY DISCOURAGED by the editorial staff at the time...because if they didn't do so, those were almost exclusively the sort of stories submitted to them, both by freelancers and in-house staffers. Or so they said, anyway.
As for Ed's Knights books, as the player of a Knight in Ed's home campaign, I must say those books are tremendously "telescoped" down from what we did in the first few years (real time) of play. To cover the adventures of the Knights (which included a lot of the basic "starter" dungeon-delving you're looking for, not to mention foolish mistakes, misunderstandings, some torrid romance, infiltration of the Knights by Cormyrean undercover agents, et al) during that time would require about 16 novels the length of the three published ones. The "real" Realms is all about subplots upon intrigues upon character development, not the simple straight-ahead action adventure narrative Ed was asked to write in the published trilogy.
love,
THO

Edited by - The Hooded One on 16 Mar 2011 17:50:18
Go to Top of Page

Christopher_Rowe
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
879 Posts

Posted - 16 Mar 2011 :  17:53:14  Show Profile  Visit Christopher_Rowe's Homepage Send Christopher_Rowe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

The "real" Realms is all about subplots upon intrigues upon character development...

I think I'll write that down and refer to it both as a novelist and a DM.

And GMWestermeyer it's been more than a decade since I've read them but it seems like Mark Anthony's Harper novels might have something close to what you're looking for.

My own Sandstorm has a recognizable "party," but they don't do any dungeon delving, and they're actually members of a circus.
Go to Top of Page

Caolin
Senior Scribe

768 Posts

Posted - 18 Mar 2011 :  01:35:03  Show Profile Send Caolin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have actually wondered this myself at times. I would love to read a novel that covers the genesis of low level adventuring party and their early adventures. A nice simple story that is not affecting nations, disrupting the world or involves gods throwing down lightning bolts here and there.
Go to Top of Page

GMWestermeyer
Learned Scribe

USA
215 Posts

Posted - 18 Mar 2011 :  02:54:18  Show Profile  Visit GMWestermeyer's Homepage Send GMWestermeyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Erik Scott de Bie

You might check out RLB's Brotherhood of the Griffon novels. They feature a group dynamic.

Are you more interested in a pre-existing group (i.e. together before the novel started) or a join-forces sort of group (i.e. individuals who band together at some point in the novel)? Or does it not matter?

Pre-existing or forming, either works. One thing that one me over to the Realms as a setting in the old Grey set was the idea of adventuring band charters and the named adventuring bands. That wasn't seen in previous works, beyond the Fellowship of the Ring itself, and that was a very loose, very quest specific sort of thing.

This lack isn't limited to FR novels by any means, it's a truism throughout the fantasy genre. I find it puzzling.

Can anyone think ofa single modern fantasy novel written about an FRPG-style adventuring band? Whether dungeon-delving or not?

It seems like a missed marketing opportunity to me.

"Facts are meaningless. You can use facts to prove anything that is even remotely true."
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 18 Mar 2011 :  03:06:01  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by GMWestermeyer

quote:
Originally posted by Erik Scott de Bie

Pre-existing or forming, either works. One thing that one me over to the Realms as a setting in the old Grey set was the idea of adventuring band charters and the named adventuring bands. That wasn't seen in previous works, beyond the Fellowship of the Ring itself, and that was a very loose, very quest specific sort of thing.

This lack isn't limited to FR novels by any means, it's a truism throughout the fantasy genre. I find it puzzling.

Can anyone think ofa single modern fantasy novel written about an FRPG-style adventuring band? Whether dungeon-delving or not?

Dragonlance Chronicles.

Large party. Action gets started in an Inn.

Of course it was written to match the already completed game module......( at least vol 1 and very start of Vol 2 until the authors outpaced the modules progress)

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963

Edited by - The Red Walker on 18 Mar 2011 03:14:20
Go to Top of Page

Knight of the Gate
Senior Scribe

USA
624 Posts

Posted - 18 Mar 2011 :  03:45:07  Show Profile Send Knight of the Gate a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Knights of Myth Drannor books, of course, spring to mind... Chartered adventurers (check), low-level (check), 'standard party roles' filled (check)... it seems to fit the bill.

How can life be so bountiful, providing such sublime rewards for mediocrity? -Umberto Ecco
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 18 Mar 2011 :  03:49:32  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Knight of the Gate

The Knights of Myth Drannor books, of course, spring to mind... Chartered adventurers (check), low-level (check), 'standard party roles' filled (check)... it seems to fit the bill.

Yeah, GW mentioned them earlier as an exception

Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 18 Mar 2011 :  06:13:37  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I know what you mean. I personally LOVE adventuring band stories.

Not to tout my own work, but Depths of Madness is definitely an adventuring party/dungeon delve sort of story (with the survivalist "die off one by one" element). I really enjoyed writing the pseudo-Baldur's Gate style infighting between some of the characters.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 18 Mar 2011 :  13:08:25  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Rosemary Jones's Crypt of the Moaning Diamond feeatures a party, The Siegebreakers. And a bit of dungeon crawling as well. the party is much enhanced by Mumchance the dwarf, having his pup along for the ride.

Besides Paul S. Kemp's Riven, I can't remember another realms novel with a major character that has a dog(or pet that isnt a magical familiar)
The realms surely must have more dog lovers?

Go to Top of Page

GMWestermeyer
Learned Scribe

USA
215 Posts

Posted - 19 Mar 2011 :  00:15:01  Show Profile  Visit GMWestermeyer's Homepage Send GMWestermeyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Red Walker

quote:
Originally posted by Knight of the Gate

Yeah, GW mentioned them earlier as an exception

Yep. And the focus was barely on the adventuring band. I mean, it seemed like half the novels were on characters other than the Knights of Myth Drannor.

Go to Top of Page

Clad In Shadows
Learned Scribe

Canada
158 Posts

Posted - 08 Apr 2011 :  21:18:08  Show Profile Send Clad In Shadows a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Besides Paul S. Kemp's Riven, I can't remember another realms novel with a major character that has a dog(or pet that isnt a magical familiar)

Tristan from the original Moonshae trilogy had a dog named Canthus. Other than that, I can't think of any.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 08 Apr 2011 :  22:39:58  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Clad In Shadows

quote:

Tristan from the original Moonshae trilogy had a dog named Canthus. Other than that, I can't think of any.

Canthus is a cool name, thinks I.

There was a wolf in the Last Mythal books... Sheeril was companion to the wild elf ranger girl Gaerradh.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

BlackAce
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
358 Posts

Posted - 09 Apr 2011 :  01:29:11  Show Profile Send BlackAce a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Rage of Dragons trilogy featured a band of adventurers and going further back, the last Pools of Radiance game novelization did too. The War of the Spider Queen had a "party" but I guess they don't quite fit the bill.
Go to Top of Page

jordanz
Senior Scribe

553 Posts

Posted - 17 Apr 2011 :  19:02:19  Show Profile  Visit jordanz's Homepage Send jordanz a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There definitely needs to be more of this. Perhaps writers have been trying a bit to hard to avoid the stereotype. Now the stereotype is a novelty....

I personally want to see a very high level - epic party transverse the realms and the outer (particularly lower) planes.
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 18 Apr 2011 :  00:48:46  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by Clad In Shadows

quote:

Canthus is a cool name, thinks I.

There was a wolf in the Last Mythal books... Sheeril was companion to the wild elf ranger girl Gaerradh.

Mayhaps my 3 year old Tristan should have a dog named Canthus?

Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3738 Posts

Posted - 18 Apr 2011 :  01:13:37  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jordanz

There definitely needs to be more of this. Perhaps writers have been trying a bit to hard to avoid the stereotype. Now the stereotype is a novelty....

-You think? Personally, I can't stand it, the "ideal D&D adventuring party" in novels. In certain aspects, such as pre-planned ventures, it makes certain degree of sense to cover all your bases, having some kind of magician (of both Divine and Arcane varieties), some kind of strong-guy, and some kind of skilled-guy, in addition to generic fighter-types. But, that the ideal, optimum adventuring party just happened to assemble, all thrust into the same situation because of various outside forces? Nope. It's just not all that realistic.

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerūn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerūn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Kerrigan
Acolyte

Germany
31 Posts

Posted - 23 Apr 2011 :  09:32:51  Show Profile  Visit Kerrigan's Homepage Send Kerrigan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Do you think so? I always found it a bit dull when Forgotten Realms-Novels were too close to the roleplaying game. Book 1 of the Avatar-series (Shadowdale) comes to mind.. - it would have been suiting as an adventure diary, but as a novel, it was .. not of the type I prefer.
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 23 Apr 2011 :  18:10:07  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Two reasons I like Realms fiction with adventuring companies:

1. I get enough of the recent egotistic/solipsistic tendency towards lone heroes alienated from society in places other than Realms fiction.

2. The Realms has done more than perhaps any other world to naturalize the idea of adventuring so that rather than a bare game artefact or convention it's a highly detailed in-world subculture. I like reading about it.
Go to Top of Page

GMWestermeyer
Learned Scribe

USA
215 Posts

Posted - 23 Apr 2011 :  20:16:02  Show Profile  Visit GMWestermeyer's Homepage Send GMWestermeyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't want to see artificial parties crammed together for no reason. But it is established that adventuring bands are common in the Realms, with laws about them and legal issues like Charters. And the standard AD&D adventuring party forming to explore a ruin looking for riches is an established norm in the Realms as well.

So, I'd like to see a novel about neophyte adventurers forming together to seek thier fortune while exploring ancient ruins. The standard diverse adventuring party makes perfect sense for such an undertaking, afterall! :)

But I've never seen ANY fantasy novel like that, not in any setting. It's a shame. :(

Edited by - GMWestermeyer on 23 Apr 2011 20:16:34
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 25 Apr 2011 :  08:18:46  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

I agree with Dagnirion and Kerrigan. It could be good in games, but hardly palatable in novels. Most of the intricacies (the well-knit subplots and the overarching plot) of a novel are best rendered when the books shies away from an "adventuring party."

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

darkwalk
Acolyte

United Kingdom
4 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2011 :  21:43:57  Show Profile  Visit darkwalk's Homepage Send darkwalk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think the rage of the dragons was a good party adventure, also Promise of the Witch King from Sellswords series pictures the forming of a party and includes some good dungeon crawling. Unclean, the first book in The Haunted Lands triology also features a party on quests before they go into war.

----- I grant you your soul, but not your life. Be happy that I have found a measure of mercy. -----
Go to Top of Page

GMWestermeyer
Learned Scribe

USA
215 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2011 :  23:35:19  Show Profile  Visit GMWestermeyer's Homepage Send GMWestermeyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, I can only hope prospective Realms authors who might write such a novel aren't reading this thread, since so many seem against it.

I think it could be an excellent novel premise and would be pretty fresh, since its a plot that really hasn't been done before.

Go to Top of Page

Rosemary Jones
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
148 Posts

Posted - 03 May 2011 :  06:04:08  Show Profile  Visit Rosemary Jones's Homepage Send Rosemary Jones a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The whole point of CRYPT OF THE MOANING DIAMOND was to let a group race their way through a dungeon (flood waters rising, ceilings falling, and the action of the book takes place in 24 hours) -- and, because they are having a very bad day, they have been stripped of weapons, magical items, and, eventually, one character even loses his pants.

Or, as one reviewer here said "it's good to read that even a shining hero can be reduced underwear and keep on going..."

The novel is out of print but there are copies floating around the Internet. And you can keep clicking on Amazon.com to tell Wizards that you want them to release this title on Kindle ;)

Regards,
Rosemary

Rosemary Jones
www.rosemaryjones.com
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 03 May 2011 :  06:10:01  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rosemary Jones

The novel is out of print but there are copies floating around the Internet. And you can keep clicking on Amazon.com to tell Wizards that you want them to release this title on Kindle ;)
Keep an eye out on nobleknight.com as well, for second-hand copies.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000