Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 LK's Novel Reviews: The Fall of Highwatch
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3736 Posts

Posted - 06 May 2011 :  05:37:13  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
The Fall of Highwatch
Book I, The Chosen of Nendawen Trilogy
Mark Sehestedt

I’m a fan of Mark Sehestedt’s previous books. Sentinelspire is one of my all-time favorite Forgotten Realms novels. Frostfell, it was a decent book that, while I wasn’t in love with it, introduced a few things into the Forgotten Realms that I did like. When I found out that Mr. Sehestedt has a series entitled ‘The Chosen of Nendawen Trilogy’, my curiosity was piqued- the Vil Adanrath were one of the things in Frostfell that made me enjoy the book. Overall, I was disappointed with The Fall of Highwatch.

Let me get to the good things before the bad things. The book shed some more light on the mysterious and enigmatic Vil Adanrath. Personally, I wish there was more on them, specifically, but beggars can’t be choosers. I particularly like the ‘kishkoman’, a dagger specific to the eastern Lythari, that is basically a dagger with a dog whistle built into it. Given the physiology of Lythari, a pretty cool idea. And, of course, the Elven linguist within me forced me to record the new eastern Lythari words that were revealed: Rathla (Blood Bound), Yachinehra (Milk Brothers), Uskeche Tet (Fire Stick/Ghost Stick), K’che (Family), Kan (Death), and Besthunit Nenle (Hurry Up Slowly). The villain, Argalath, his spellscar was an interesting application of telekinesis, I have to say.

Now, to my criticisms of the novel. Firstly, the 4e terminology really threw me off, to the point that it was interfering with my reading of the novel. One character who is both antagonist and protagonist, Menduarthis, was first introduced as being something of an enigma (and still is). He was first introduced as being ‘Eladrin’- not as in a proper noun, but as in a descriptive adjective. So, I figured he was a 4e Elf, a 3e Wood Elf. We then later learned that he seemed to have innate magical powers, and was living on the Plane of Faerie. I revised my mental image such that he was a 4e Eladrin, a 3e Sun/Moon/Star Elf. The term ‘Eladrin’ was mentioned a few times, as was the term ‘Elf’. By the time the book was finished, I wasn’t sure if he was a 4e Eladrin, a 3e Eladrin, a 4e Elf, or a 3e Elf. I didn’t like these newer 4e terms being used in novels to begin with, thinking that they’d replace specific Forgotten Realms terms, and/or cause confusion, and lo and behold.

My biggest complain with the novel was that it just didn’t feel like a Forgotten Realms novel. That’s not to say that since it was written in the 4e era, and is set in DR 14-something, but rather, the novel is simply generic, and doesn’t feel like a Forgotten Realms novel. That’s not through any fault of the author, per se, but rather, because of where the novel is set. After Highwatch falls (major spoiler alert, I know!), the protagonists are running around in the frosty Narfellian tundra, and the antagonists are chasing them. In the wilds, there aren’t specific locations or anything like that, to identify with the Forgotten Realms. The last half of the book takes place on the Plane of Faerie. Again, the Plane of Faerie, while associated with the Forgotten Realms, isn’t a specific Forgotten Realms location. The parts of the book that took place in “civilized” areas of Faerûn could just have easily been replaced with “civilized” parts of Greyhawk, Eberron, Middle Earth, or any generic swords-and-sorcerery-type setting.

I didn’t pick up the second book in the trilogy because it wasn’t at the bookstore when I picked up The Fall of Highwatch. If I never see Hand of the Hunter, the second book, in bookstores for the rest of my life, I won’t feel like I missed out. If I do see it, however, I’ll have no problems buying it, to continue the trilogy and see how the story turns out.

Out of a possible Five Beholders, I give The Fall of Highwatch Three Beholders.

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerûn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerûn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium

Edited by - Lord Karsus on 07 May 2011 08:47:41

Quale
Master of Realmslore

1757 Posts

Posted - 06 May 2011 :  21:31:31  Show Profile Send Quale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
what places in Faerie are mentioned/described?
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 07 May 2011 :  03:35:13  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

So the protagonist is a fighter and the villain an elf mage/psionicist?

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3736 Posts

Posted - 07 May 2011 :  08:45:45  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Quale

what places in Faerie are mentioned/described?

-Don't know if it was made up by the author, or is featured in the 4e planes book, Isan Meidan, but the realm of Kunin Gatar, who rules from her palace, Ellestharn.

quote:
Originally posted by Dennis

So the protagonist is a fighter and the villain an elf mage/psionicist?

-The protagonist is fairly inexperienced and doesn't possess any particular special features, so I guess she could be a Fighter. The primary antagonist, he's a Nar Shaman of some sort, who may or may not specifically be a Demonbinder. The Elven/Eladrin character, Menduarthis, is some sort of magician.

Elves of Faerûn

Edited by - Lord Karsus on 07 May 2011 08:49:00
Go to Top of Page

Quale
Master of Realmslore

1757 Posts

Posted - 07 May 2011 :  12:51:38  Show Profile Send Quale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm almost sure it's a new place

imo that area should have fey from the Slavic mythology
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3736 Posts

Posted - 07 May 2011 :  16:55:08  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-It is inhabited by some sort of Planar Halfling race- don't know if they are actually Halflings who have adapted to living in this frosty section of the Plane of Faerie, or if they're some kind of Planar race that just seem similar to Halflings- who ride on sabertooth tigers. I didn't get so much a specific cultural vibe from the place as much as I got a paleolithic vibe.

Elves of Faerûn
Go to Top of Page

Elsenrail
Seeker

Poland
72 Posts

Posted - 08 May 2011 :  11:32:42  Show Profile Send Elsenrail a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I really loved this novel, and "Hand of the Hunter" as well. I didn't have a problem with 4e terminology. What hooked me was Mr Sehestedt writing. His style just suits my tastes. I'm curious who Nendawen turns out to be, because it just a name... for someone familiar, I suppose.

Menduarthis, for me, was just a typical 4e eladrin. Maybe I lack Realmslore to be confused about it. Menduarthis is an interesting character, espiecially in the second book. :)
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3285 Posts

Posted - 08 May 2011 :  14:05:29  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I enjoyed this book and Hand of the Hunter. Looking forward to the last novel.

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3736 Posts

Posted - 08 May 2011 :  17:18:04  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Elsenrail

I'm curious who Nendawen turns out to be, because it just a name... for someone familiar, I suppose.

-Nendawen is Nendawen, and that's all that I hope Nendawen stays. It's description, however, for whatever reason, got me thinking of Myrkul- the horns/antlers, I guess.

quote:
Originally posted by Elsenrail

Menduarthis, for me, was just a typical 4e eladrin. Maybe I lack Realmslore to be confused about it. Menduarthis is an interesting character, espiecially in the second book. :)

-So, the characters that we run into later in Kunin Gatar's realm, who are like Menduarthis but are described as 'Elves', which would they be? This is where trouble stems from. Not only is 'Elf' a noun that is going to have multiple meanings because of the edition change and the shift in D&D terminology, but it can also be used as an adjective as well, that describes something Elf-like.

Elves of Faerûn
Go to Top of Page

Quale
Master of Realmslore

1757 Posts

Posted - 10 May 2011 :  21:08:03  Show Profile Send Quale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Karsus

-It is inhabited by some sort of Planar Halfling race- don't know if they are actually Halflings who have adapted to living in this frosty section of the Plane of Faerie, or if they're some kind of Planar race that just seem similar to Halflings- who ride on sabertooth tigers. I didn't get so much a specific cultural vibe from the place as much as I got a paleolithic vibe.

cool, now the novel is on my reading list

might work parallel to my Mammoth Lords realm (east of the Icerims)
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3736 Posts

Posted - 11 May 2011 :  05:45:37  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

might work parallel to my Mammoth Lords realm (east of the Icerims)

-You have Faerie mapped out?

Elves of Faerûn
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3285 Posts

Posted - 11 May 2011 :  07:42:07  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's a land in Golarion.

Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Quale
Master of Realmslore

1757 Posts

Posted - 11 May 2011 :  11:57:38  Show Profile Send Quale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't have the map, but I know what's parallel and on the other side of every realm in the world. Tough the world is quite different from canon, it has many other realms, some are lands from Golarion.The northern Endless Waste seemed like a good location for the Mammoth Lords. These halflings sound perfect, opposite from the giants, all they need is a more robust, neandertal-ish figure.

Edited by - Quale on 11 May 2011 11:58:18
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3285 Posts

Posted - 11 May 2011 :  16:09:00  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So will these Halflings raise young Hill Giants to be a part of the tribe?

Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3736 Posts

Posted - 11 May 2011 :  18:15:40  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-Ah, okay.

-Even though the Plane of Faerie is supposed to be conterminous to the rest of the world, and even though I think it would be cool to have a map of the Plane of Faerie, I don't think I'd want one. I think a map would cause it to lose some of it's mystique.

Elves of Faerûn
Go to Top of Page

Quale
Master of Realmslore

1757 Posts

Posted - 12 May 2011 :  08:14:40  Show Profile Send Quale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Agree, also some lands move around

quote:
Originally posted by Brimstone

So will these Halflings raise young Hill Giants to be a part of the tribe?

possibly, taiga giants for that environment
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3285 Posts

Posted - 12 May 2011 :  11:44:52  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I could see a bunch of halflings killing off a giant tribe save one youngling to raise as their own.

One of the reasons I like the Mammoth Lords in Golarian.

Back on topic, I cant wait for book three...

Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3736 Posts

Posted - 12 May 2011 :  18:33:24  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Agree, also some lands move around

-Exactly. I know that it is supposed to be conterminous with the Material Plane, just like the Plane of Shadows, and other planes, but I never operated as if it was. Giving it specified boundaries amd locations that are mappable, that's about the antithesis of the chaotic and flighty nature that Fey possess that you can get.

Elves of Faerûn
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000