Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Dead scribes of Candlekeep
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7974 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2011 :  01:51:48  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I was musing about this while reading a necro scroll. Does CK have any sort of graveyard, cemetary, mausoleum, or catacombs? I rather like the catacombs notion, it makes me wonder if some sort of undead or guardians roam under the keep ...

Are the remains of dead scribes simply sent elsewhere, perhaps back to their lands of origin?

Do we have any monuments or revered tomes which keep the memory of deceased scribes alive?

I've asked this before in passing: why is Candlekeep a fortress? Does it have any history from before it was a place of learning? Have massive battles been fought for this land? If so, there might be a lot of dead from the keep.

[/Ayrik]

Azuth
Senior Scribe

USA
404 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2011 :  02:31:44  Show Profile  Visit Azuth's Homepage Send Azuth a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Catacombs would seem to be the most likely... especially given the Keep's location. It reminds me somewhat of Spirit Soaring in stature, and Bob Salvatore had that built atop the ruins of the previous Edificent Library and its catacombs. I have always assumed that Candlekeep is the center of worship for Oghma in the Realms...although I have trouble reconciling that with the fact that Candlekeep isn't open to everyone at all times.

Your question on its origins is interesting, and I suspect Ed would need to shed light on that if he can. I'd guess that any visitor's name is kept in a log (this mirrors the events in one of the Elminster series of novels) and thus all visitors are never forgotten as part of Oghma's dogma to preserve all knowledge. But, to your point, I'd think that there's a section devoted to high priests of Oghma and Denier, similar to Jergal's collection of scrolls on all of the human souls in Faerûn in the City of the Dead.

I would assume (arrogantly?) that there's a cemetary of some kind for the common people who happen to die there, but I'd guess any battles would just have mass graves for any not of the faith(s).

Azuth, the First Magister
Lord of All Spells

The greatest expression of creativity is through Art.
Offense can never be given, only taken.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2011 :  02:41:39  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ed's awesome "An Introduction to Candlekeep" provides some insights. But, ultimately, I really think this would make a fantastic question for Ed. Because most of the lore re: Candlekeep doesn't really provide any specific info on this.

One thought concerning your query about why is Candlekeep a fortress? I'm only speculating, but I suppose it could be just a simple matter of what was stated in Volo's Guide to the Sword Coast [pg. 32]:-
quote:
It is a many-towered fortress, once the home of the famous seer Alaundo, and preserves his predictions along with all the written records and learning of the Realms that can be assembled.
Such an important bastion of knowledge would seem to require a greater level of protection than just a simple library.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Azuth
Senior Scribe

USA
404 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2011 :  03:32:14  Show Profile  Visit Azuth's Homepage Send Azuth a Private Message  Reply with Quote

The Sage proves his wisdom yet again. It prompted my recollection of something in Ed's Introduction directly pertinent to this question...
quote:

As for the dragon guardians who appear only to destroy buildings erected too close to the walls of Candlekeep (or to battle dragons attacking the monastery, or to carry the bodies of dead Keepers of the Tomes out to sea and to an unknown resting-place), [emphasis mine] these remain mysteries not spoken of by the Avowed. If pressed, some will go so far as to murmur, “There are worse guardians. Much worse.”

Cheers,

Lord of All Spells

Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2011 :  03:34:28  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi! As far as I can remember, the fortress wasn't built for Alaundo; it preceded him. Definitely a question for Ed.
As for dead scribes: Candlekeep has catacombs. This should be published canon unless they got edited out of Ed's turnover manuscript for the dragon (I'm away from home right now, and can't remember the particular wyrm's name) that can be found in the caverns beneath Candlekeep; Ed mentioned the burial catacombs therein.
(Sage, can you recall which wyrm of the Wyrms of the North this was?)
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2011 :  03:38:10  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
"Who are you?" a shaken Nouméa whispered.
The ring of monks smiled.
"Simple folk of Faerûn who love old books, and learning, and reading the thoughts and hopes and records of beings now dust," Esmer replied.
Nouméa looked around at them all and shook her head. "I think you are amongst the most powerful and dangerous forces on all Toril."
The monks stopped smiling.

- Elminster's Daughter, pg. 221

THAT is why Candlekeep is a fortress.

I just finished reading The Golden Compass (not bad for a young-adult novel), and there is an interesting section in there on how they inter the scholars of Oxford, and imagine it being something like that - a massive, many-honeycombed labyrinth of crypts, going ever deeper, with older ones being 'more primitive' in design, the further one goes.

But, of course, you would have to ask Ed for the canon history of the place. I like to imagine it like tGC's Oxford, with all the magic, solemnity, and tradition, but that's for Mr.Greenwood to decide.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 12 Mar 2011 03:41:40
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2011 :  05:03:28  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

I'm not the Sage (I'm better looking! ), but I'll happily step up and service you -- uh, I mean offer my service to you, my Lady.

Miirym, "The Sentinel Wyrm"

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 12 Mar 2011 05:03:58
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2011 :  05:06:46  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

Hi! As far as I can remember, the fortress wasn't built for Alaundo; it preceded him. Definitely a question for Ed.
As for dead scribes: Candlekeep has catacombs. This should be published canon unless they got edited out of Ed's turnover manuscript for the dragon (I'm away from home right now, and can't remember the particular wyrm's name) that can be found in the caverns beneath Candlekeep; Ed mentioned the burial catacombs therein.
love,
THO

You mean Miirym, "The Sentinel Wyrm".

Edit: And not tooting my own horn, but I'm definitely the more "capable" of the pair, milady, should you require anything. Experience, after all, is eternal. Appearance is transitory.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 12 Mar 2011 05:10:48
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2011 :  05:13:01  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

Experience, after all, is eternal.

Just like your to-do list!

Go to Top of Page

Azuth
Senior Scribe

USA
404 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2011 :  05:16:13  Show Profile  Visit Azuth's Homepage Send Azuth a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Arik: Sage's reference contains the following prose:
[quote]The monks apologetically wrote up a tome describing the situation and all that was known of Torth's spells, then set a copy of it in a crypt beneath the keep, in a casket with the sorcerer's bones and staff.[/qoute]

This, from Ed, would indicate that there are, indeed, crypts (catacombs) beneath Candlekeep (Just as THO and Sage indicate).

This does bring to mind several additional questions for Ed...

Lord of All Spells

Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7974 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2011 :  05:27:22  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's an awesome article, thanx Woolpert.

I'd thank Sage as well, but he seems to be a little busy flirting. Something about tooting.

Azuth, yes catacombs and caverns. Wooly's link expands greatly on what's underkeep.

[/Ayrik]

Edited by - Ayrik on 12 Mar 2011 05:29:05
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2011 :  05:41:33  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Arik

That's an awesome article, thanx Woolpert.

I'd thank Sage as well, but he seems to be a little busy flirting. Something about tooting.

Azuth, yes catacombs and caverns. Wooly's link expands greatly on what's underkeep.

If you're not already familiar with them, I'd recommend checking out the rest of the Wyrms of the North. Great stuff, there.

And also from that page, you can check out some past Realmslore, including some of my fave of the web offerings: the Mintiper's Chapbook series and the Realms by Night series. Some of the Perilous Gateways were awesome, too.

Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7974 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2011 :  05:47:48  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've already read through many of those entries, finding them during a discussion about Felgolos. Ye olde 3.x archives are always a source of excellent stuff.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000