Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 1372-1385 Timeline?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

GMWestermeyer
Learned Scribe

USA
215 Posts

Posted - 08 Mar 2011 :  03:31:07  Show Profile  Visit GMWestermeyer's Homepage Send GMWestermeyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
So, I'm not too certain on official Realms events from 1372 until this Spellplague thing in 1385. Leaving aside opinions on this event, can someone tell me where to fill in these gaps? Are they just in the 4e books? Is any of the timeline online somewhere? Are they covered in whole or in part on GHotR?

"Facts are meaningless. You can use facts to prove anything that is even remotely true."
Homer Simpson, _The Simspons_

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 08 Mar 2011 :  04:10:13  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The published Grand History of the Realms provides a detailed timeline up to 1376/77DR. After which, only brief paragraphs are provided for each year following until 1385DR. Each of these years details [what were then] future events.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Zireael
Master of Realmslore

Poland
1190 Posts

Posted - 08 Mar 2011 :  15:48:16  Show Profile  Visit Zireael's Homepage Send Zireael a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Is anything more known about this period than in GHotR?

SiNafay Vrinn, the daughter of Lloth, from Ched Nasad!

http://zireael07.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 08 Mar 2011 :  16:14:38  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes. Several Realms articles via the DDI provide historical insights into events prior to 1479DR.

Go to Top of Page

GMWestermeyer
Learned Scribe

USA
215 Posts

Posted - 08 Mar 2011 :  23:27:27  Show Profile  Visit GMWestermeyer's Homepage Send GMWestermeyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

Yes. Several Realms articles via the DDI provide historical insights into events prior to 1479DR.

What is the DDI?

"Facts are meaningless. You can use facts to prove anything that is even remotely true."
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 08 Mar 2011 :  23:37:05  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
D&D Internet, or D&D interactive... something like that.
EDIT: D&D Insider

It is the online version of Dragon and Dungeon magazines, plus a bunch of other stuff.

Basically, it is the pay-for section of the WotC site (although some of the earlier articles were free).

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 08 Mar 2011 23:40:20
Go to Top of Page

BEAST
Master of Realmslore

USA
1714 Posts

Posted - 08 Mar 2011 :  23:45:28  Show Profile  Visit BEAST's Homepage Send BEAST a Private Message  Reply with Quote
RAS's short story "Iruladoon", and his novels The Orc King and The Ghost King, are set in this time period.

"War of the Spider Queen" was also set during that time interval.

"'You don't know my history,' he said dryly."
--Drizzt Do'Urden (The Pirate King, Part 1: Chapter 2)

<"Comprehensive Chronology of R.A. Salvatore Forgotten Realms Works">
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 09 Mar 2011 :  00:53:41  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

D&D Internet, or D&D interactive... something like that.
EDIT: D&D Insider

It is the online version of Dragon and Dungeon magazines, plus a bunch of other stuff.

Basically, it is the pay-for section of the WotC site (although some of the earlier articles were free).

Indeed. Though some material can be accessed for free -- like previews for upcoming products and/or articles studying the history of in-game D&D elements -- the majority of articles are obtained by a monthly subscription fee.

Go to Top of Page

GMWestermeyer
Learned Scribe

USA
215 Posts

Posted - 09 Mar 2011 :  03:55:12  Show Profile  Visit GMWestermeyer's Homepage Send GMWestermeyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So, basically, fans don't do chronologies for this period?

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 09 Mar 2011 :  04:12:19  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by GMWestermeyer

So, basically, fans don't do chronologies for this period?

There are a few fan-chronologies detailed both here and elsewhere, but they mostly only cover specific regions/locations/cities, like Waterdeep for example.

Go to Top of Page

Brian R. James
Forgotten Realms Game Designer

USA
1098 Posts

Posted - 23 Mar 2011 :  18:41:23  Show Profile  Visit Brian R. James's Homepage Send Brian R. James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You may find this chronology useful Paul: http://community.wizards.com/gomeztoo/blog/2010/01/11/the_forgotten_realms_post-spellplague_timeline

Brian R. James - Freelance Game Designer

Follow me on Twitter @brianrjames
Go to Top of Page

Andrekan
Seeker

65 Posts

Posted - 24 Mar 2011 :  05:04:13  Show Profile Send Andrekan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Power of Faerun has a lot of listings during this time frame.

Pg.28
Reclamation of Shanatar 1369 DR

Seiveril’s Crusade (Reclamation of Myth Drannor)

Sothillisian War Pg. 40-43 Highly detailed year to year 1370-1374 DR
1374 DR is Month by Month details pg74

Untheric Crusade 1373 DR

Pg. 100 has a month by month detail of 1374 DR dealing with Starshadow Vale campaign.

Dragons of Faerun has information about 1373 DR Year of Rogue Dragons
Sammasters manipulations

My favorite is Pg. 21 Iryklathagra, “Sharp Fangs” leaves her Lair in Small Teeth and Shoon VII tries to lure adventurers to seek out his staff in her Horde. Meanwhile, “Sharp Fangs”, a blue great wyrm, shatters the eastern tower of the Twin Towers of the Eclipse, flying south to assault Calimport. In Calimport Sharp Fangs unleashes her wraths on the Plaza of Divine Truth. During a battle with temple defenders she shatters the legendary Idol of Bhaelros, thus triggering an ancient prophecy. An aspect of Bhaelros manifested in the middle of a court yard astride an enslaved Great Brass Wyrm causing a battle that destroys most of the Palace Ward (with the notable exception of the Pasha’s Sabban) before Sharpfangs is finally driven off, her fury spent. The aspect of Bhaelros went on wreaking havoc upon Calimport. The syl-pasha’s army battle the raging deity for 3 days. At the defeat of Bhaelos the enraged defeated deity retaliated by raining lighting bolts upon Calimshan for a year there after. By the end of The Year of Lighting Storms, Calimport and other cities regained a measure of traditional independence because of the weakened sly-pasha’s rule.

Actually used Sothillisian War, the Event of Sharpfangs and the Staff of Shoon in an epic adventure. I remember some timeline information at The Forgotten Realms Wikia, but I'm not sure if any None Canon has slipped through.

Did some stuff with them few years back and they try to stay on top of that issue but you never know sometimes.

I wasn't sure if you had any of this and was about to hit up your Time line again but there seems to be a bit of a "lighting storm" here now so I will shoot you these and sign out for the night.

I appreciate your efforts Mr. James!

"Those two talk only of drink, riches, women, brawling, and magic, so ye've a one in five chance..." Quote from "Elminster in Hell"
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 24 Mar 2011 :  06:24:33  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Those poor towers.

They were also knocked down in Paul S. Kemp's novels.

Supposedly, they were rebuilt again (a third time) - I guess Cyricists are just as crazy-stupid as their boss. You'd think they'd learn after the first time and move someplace 'less busy'.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000