Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Stonelands natural resources
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Tyranthraxus
Senior Scribe

Netherlands
423 Posts

Posted - 27 Feb 2011 :  11:19:06  Show Profile  Visit Tyranthraxus's Homepage Send Tyranthraxus a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
If adventurers were granted a patch of the Stonelands and decided to build a keep, and eventually a small settlement, what kind of natural resources could the Stonelands offer?

MalariaMoon
Learned Scribe

324 Posts

Posted - 27 Feb 2011 :  15:18:37  Show Profile  Visit MalariaMoon's Homepage Send MalariaMoon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
....erm .... it's a wild guess, but .... stone?

On the other hand, wood would be difficult to find. A reliable water source would be vital, and no doubt contested fiercely but competing brigands, humanoid tribes and monsters. I imagine the soil of the Stonelands to be very poor, so growing crops could be a real struggle. Rugged sheep, goats or perhaps rothe would be a good bet, although these would probably need to shepherded carefully to protect them from rustlers, wolves, leucrotta and other threats.

That's my take, although it's based on my impression of the Stonelands from the sources I've read in the (sometimes distant) past, rather than solid canon.
Go to Top of Page

Rhewtani
Senior Scribe

USA
508 Posts

Posted - 27 Feb 2011 :  16:05:08  Show Profile Send Rhewtani a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, I'm going to lean towards stones and mountain goats as well. Maybe iron deposits?
Go to Top of Page

Galuf the Dwarf
Senior Scribe

USA
499 Posts

Posted - 27 Feb 2011 :  17:14:11  Show Profile Send Galuf the Dwarf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Rhewtani's mostly on the money here. I'm reading on the section about it in the 3rd Ed. Forgotten Realms campaign setting as well as looking at the map of the area on pg 117, and there isn't a major river or stream for the next 40 to 80 miles. Unless use of magic to irrigate through the Storm Horns (though possibly endangering Eveningstar's or Castle Crag's water supplies) is done, the area would be VERY desolate. There is little or no vegetation to speak of in the entry, and the land is also home to bands of goblins, gnolls, orcs and evil-aligned humans (likely of Zhentarim affiliation).

Galuf's Baldur's Gate NPC stats: forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=8823
Galuf's 3.5 Ed. Cleric Domains: forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=14036
Galuf's Homebrew 4th Edition Races: forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=13787
Galuf's Homebrew Specialty Priest PrCs: forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=14353
Galuf's Forgotten Realms Heralds and Allies thread: forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=8766
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 27 Feb 2011 :  18:20:19  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There are a lot of Copper and Iron deposits. Much of the water is stained red by rust (and therefor NOT very good for drinking). You can find the source for that info in the Cormyr series (Alusair was traveling all over the Stonelands - much good material on that area in the final two books).

Also, because of certain (independent) information regarding the Dwarves, Netheril, and Cormyr itself, I would say that the Stormhorns are rich in gems as well (although the Cormyrian Gov't might not be too fond of gem-mining in the Stormhorns).

Some crops would grow there, but probably not very well - you could research what sort of crops grow in arid conditions. (and NOT tropical-arid, because the Stonelands are temperate and get snow in the winter - don't let the nearby desert fool you).

I'm not sure if the Torillians have any use for tar, but I would imagine tar Pits in the area as well, and whatever resources such things would engender. That is HB, though, because I feel such things fit the place.

Also don't forget both animal skins (I hear raptor boots are all the rage in Cormyr these days), and 'monster bits' for spell research and casting.

The Stone of the Stonelands may itself hold some value, and I think is connected to the bizarre 'Wizard Weather' that region gets (after all, it came from the Cloud Kingdom, which was ruled by Storm and Cloud Giants).

And of course, the usual 'treasure troves' found in dungeons. Known 'Fallen Kingdoms' of the area include: Netheril, Taeravel, Anauria, Hlundadim, northern Oghrann & southern Ammarindar, An unknown ancient Goblin kingdom (from whence the city of Groodd came), two citystates (where the two swamps now exist), Eastern Shantel Othreir (the Battle of God's Theatre, GHotR pg, 15), and even vastly more ancient Sarrukh and Batrachi ruins (some of which lie in those same swamps, which those two newer {post-Netheril} Citystates were likely built on top of). Oh, and the now nearly forgotten Cloud Kingdom itself, which created The Stonelands.

There's probably a couple of others I forgot; for instance, the dwarves of Tethyamer also spread south along the Desertmouth mountains (which were called the God's Legion Mts. by Netheril, and probably something else by the Dwarves). They themselves may have been a 'survivor state' of Sarphil. There were also the elves of The Forest kingdom which pre-dated Cormyr itself (don't recall a name for them, but i am sure there is one).

Anyway, aside from some mineral wealth, the Stonelansds best resource is its adventuring possibilities. Set up a 'trading Post' kind of keep, with a hostelry, supply depot, and fresh mounts and you've got yourself a much needed resource right there.

Edit: The Teerac-on-Water goblins are 2e canon, and Bryan James made their village (Gwarch) canon as of 4e. They live in a small keep on an island in a small lake, which means fresh water is available, but scarce. Alusair also found potable water in her travels. The problem with building anywhere near drinkable water is that someone or something has probably already claimed it, and any decent sites will have become 'watering holes' for various beasts.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 27 Feb 2011 18:43:15
Go to Top of Page

Jakuta Khan
Senior Scribe

496 Posts

Posted - 27 Feb 2011 :  20:06:51  Show Profile Send Jakuta Khan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
regarding the water I think to recall to elminsters ecologies, that there are many small and mot iron-red streams just below the surface, in the many many small canyons which go through the area.

regarding income / ressources:

if someone would just build something close to a functional road, incombination with hstelry said my markustay, i think this would be fair enough, and could be a real edge for traders, which would not have to travel through all cormyr to reach tilverton or the dales - basically maybe making the smuggling road from of the zhentarim an official one.
the other side here wouldbe, does cormyr really want a trade route around their central territory, as it would most likely have some dramatic impact on cormyrs ecology.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 27 Feb 2011 :  21:46:48  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A trade route controlled by them would be very beneficial.

Especially since a route already (unofficially) exists, and having a Cormyrian keep (run by Adventurers who's loyalties to the crown can be construed as 'questionable') alongside it, able to tax it, and keep tabs on it would work heavilly in their favor.

The Zhents are active there, and if they could convince the Zhents that the place "isn't well-watched" by War Wizards (which would be a deception), then it would be the perfect place for discreet 'Harper types' (and High heralds) to hang-out.

The idea would be to let just enough of the normal 'contraband' get by to make the place inviting to the Zhentarrim, and still be able to squash any of their big plans for the region (once again, discreetly, of course). For instance, there is a Silver dragon trying to stop them from organizing the bandits in the area - that's just the kind of thing the war Wizards would want to help with, while keeping a low profile. As for the PCs who begin such a venture, they should act like "the Crown did them no favors by off-loading such a useless piece of land on them". In fact, they should make it look like they are very angry with Cormyr "for sticking with this dump" (which would all be part of the ruse, and would work, if not over-played).

There are several dilapidated keeps within the Stonelands; some quite ancient, and others of fairly recent origin - one of those wold make a suitable starting location. In fact, IIRC, there is one discussed right at the beginning of the Stonelands booklet which I think fell out of use quite recently (after being 'fixed up' by another party of adventurers).

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

althen artren
Senior Scribe

USA
780 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2011 :  00:24:27  Show Profile Send althen artren a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Maybe salt could be made from the marshes? or mined out of the ground?
Talc? Ready-mix company would work great there.
Go to Top of Page

althen artren
Senior Scribe

USA
780 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2011 :  00:25:51  Show Profile Send althen artren a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Also, I put the Granite Mountain Prison from an old dungeon
issue near the Stonelands, as a "pay us to take you
most evil and dangerous criminals and political opponents"
business prison near there. Go ahead and escape, where will
you go?
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2011 :  00:38:21  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

Also don't forget both animal skins (I hear raptor boots are all the rage in Cormyr these days), and 'monster bits' for spell research and casting.
Indeed. Don't forget the dinosaurs.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 28 Feb 2011 00:39:05
Go to Top of Page

Tyranthraxus
Senior Scribe

Netherlands
423 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2011 :  19:15:06  Show Profile  Visit Tyranthraxus's Homepage Send Tyranthraxus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks you the input everyone.
Go to Top of Page

Jakuta Khan
Senior Scribe

496 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2011 :  23:24:03  Show Profile Send Jakuta Khan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
basically, there is an article in the archives, here

http://www.candlekeep.com/library/articles/bahamut.htm

which takes up the silver dragon-theme pretty much, even a couple of steps further.

if this woulbde true, the adventurers would have a WAY higher chance of success.

"True Dragons are not the only Dragonkind to be heading into the Stonelands, Saurials, Half Dragons and Draconic creatures have also been seen. The Cormyian garrison at High Hold where greeted with a startling sight one morning when 20 Gold Silver and Bronze Half Dragon Paladins of Bahamut rode past the fortress mounted on Spiked Felldrakes."

this must have been an impressive sight indeed.

Edited by - Jakuta Khan on 28 Feb 2011 23:26:47
Go to Top of Page

althen artren
Senior Scribe

USA
780 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2011 :  23:55:08  Show Profile Send althen artren a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey Markus, where did you mine all the info
on the past kingdoms?
Go to Top of Page

MalariaMoon
Learned Scribe

324 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2011 :  01:55:21  Show Profile  Visit MalariaMoon's Homepage Send MalariaMoon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've just been reading through 'The Haunted Halls of Eveningstar', where it mentions that Evenor farmers raise 'sharrada'. These are small, hardy, shaggy haired and long-horned beef cattle who 'can survive colder winters than men.'

As Eveningstar lies on the edge of the Stonelands, you could assume that sharrada would be a sound choice of livestock for a would be baron trying to establish a holding.
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7969 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2011 :  04:58:43  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
"The Stonelands are rich in minerals" ... not very helpful, though the passage it was taken from suggests (to me) that "minerals" really means "metal ores". If the local waters are tainted with rust then there would obviously be a source of iron or mercury somewhere upstream.

The only other abundant natural resource in the Stonelands that I'm aware of would be goblins. Lots of goblins.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Jakuta Khan
Senior Scribe

496 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2011 :  07:48:03  Show Profile Send Jakuta Khan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
aye, loads of them... over 7.000 goblin warriors were counted by elminster in his ecologies.... not counting other humanoids...
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 14 Mar 2011 :  17:41:14  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi, all.
I'd just like to correct some mistaken impressions here, by adding to this discussion from Ed's notes:
The Stonelands are dominated by knife-edged stone ridges separated by "breakneck"-steep sided ravines. Lots of exposed rock, very rugged terrain, roads that can take carts or conventionally-mounted riders are unknown except along the very edges (Eveningstar's trails up to the plateau-top fields, for example), and almost impossible to create without lots of magic and large-scale labour. So it's foot-trails or nothing, very sparse settlement, and tough going to get anywhere fast unless you can fly. Good detailed local maps are rare to unknown, and even keeping to a given direction (unless it's "along the line of" all the roughly east-west ridges and ravines) difficult.
Water is NOT scarce anywhere in the Stonelands, and the eastern part of it, bordering "settled" Cormyr, is cloaked in trees. Water can be found in drinkable (sinkholes constantly replenished by rainwater runoff and spring-seepage, not stagnant) pools at the bottom of most ravines, and percolating throughout the rocks and dripping out everywhere as springs (high water table). This makes tunnel-mining without pumps nigh-impossible, but "following a vein" surface mining relatively easy and heavily practiced, on an individual prospector level (thanks to everpresent trolls, goblin hunting bands, owlbears, and other predators). Those veins of rich metal (mainly iron, copper, and nickel, all of them very pure) ore are abundant, and there are (much rarer) gem deposits here and there, too.
The abundant water, coupled with the lack of human settlement, makes the Stonelands teem with flora and fauna (the undergrowth makes ample food and shelter for critters, and there are a LOT of critters; which brings lots of foraging predators. Lizards and snakes are very populous, and so are "small furry scuttling and climbing things" like tree-cats (squirrels). Deer are scarce because of the rugged topography, but creatures that can cling or climb or are sure-footed on rocks are decidedly not.
So fur, lumber, herbs and plant-based medicines and distilled drinkables, metals, and edible "wild meats" are all abundant resources. There are several cascades that can run water-wheels and provide grinding power, too, even if the streams rapidly vanish beneath the surface and so appear on few maps. I repeat, drinking water is available everywhere. Don't let the name "Stonelands" mislead you. Any scribes familiar with the Canadian Shield country in the real-world, wherein surface rock predominates, will know that most of this terrain is cloaked with thick forests (which were far thicker before they were heavily logged). So strike "dry" and "desolate" from your mind.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7969 Posts

Posted - 14 Mar 2011 :  23:10:04  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanx, THO (and Ed). Those details are awesome.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 15 Mar 2011 :  01:06:32  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Nice, THO - I am one who really appreciates FR geography lessons.

Only one thing I'd like to add to THO's excellent description: The Stonelands do not 'start' on the other side of the mountains - that is a common misconception. The northern Stormhorns are IN the Stonelands. Parts of that rugged terrain begin just north of Eveningstar itself (at the enscarpment), Gnoll-Pass runs through it, and the Helmlands are part of it (and the lower slopes of the Stormhorns - on BOTH sides - are heavily forested). Castle Kilgrave sits just at the edge of the region.

I just found a good picture of the region THO described (the Canadian Shield).

Here's another - great visual references.

Unfortunately, that means the reasoning for the name in the EE booklets is NOT what Ed intended for the Stonelands.

Edited by - Markustay on 15 Mar 2011 01:13:37
Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 15 Mar 2011 :  02:00:21  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would see terrain like that in Colorado (Breckenridge.) I used to hike this one place called Outlaw Gulch, I believe, where after a 300 foot sheer waterfall and bare rock you would come upon this beautiful alpine meadow around 12,000 feet. A shallow, placid, crystal-cold lake surrounded by baby-soft knee high grass dotted with wildflowers. Breathtaking!

Misanthorpe

Love is a lie. Only hate endures. Light is blinding. Only in darkness do we see clearly.

"Oh, you think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it, molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man, by then it was nothing to me but.. blinding. The shadows betray you because they belong to me." - Bane The Dark Knight Rises

Green Dragonscale Dice Bag by Crystalsidyll - check it out

Go to Top of Page

Jakuta Khan
Senior Scribe

496 Posts

Posted - 15 Mar 2011 :  06:50:29  Show Profile Send Jakuta Khan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
so, for the animals there, goats and capricorns shouldbe found aplenty in this region, according to THO

Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7969 Posts

Posted - 15 Mar 2011 :  06:52:32  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If the goblins don't eat 'em first.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Jakuta Khan
Senior Scribe

496 Posts

Posted - 15 Mar 2011 :  07:27:35  Show Profile Send Jakuta Khan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
very true, indeed ;)

hmm a picture starts building, a fortress or sth. being built there, using the different ravines and canyons in a defensive manner, independant water supply from sinkholes or small streams...
fungi-gardens down in the ravines as well as stables etc.etc.

small bridges spanning the canyons in half-height.... if built with some thought, even smallest versions wouldbe a real headache to get in / conquer...
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000