Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Paralemental plane of crystals: cool pictures!
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

tauster
Senior Scribe

Germany
399 Posts

Posted - 05 Feb 2008 :  19:12:06  Show Profile  Visit tauster's Homepage Send tauster a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
just stumbled over a report about a cave with giant, 11m long crystals:

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2007/04/photogalleries/giant-crystals-cave/photo6.html
and
http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/bigphotos/82948445.html

flickr has some more pics, even more stunning than the ones in the articles:
http://flickr.com/search/?q=Cueva%20de%20los%20Cristales&w=all
some pics from cueva de los cristales are also here:
http://flickr.com/search/?w=all&q=crystal+cave&m=text

The pictures are absolutely stunning and can be used as great handouts for adventures on the paraelemantal plane of crystals, or even in the underdark!

How about a thread (or even sub-forum?) for links to pictures for handouts like these?

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 05 Feb 2008 :  23:35:24  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Those are lovely, "fairy-like" crystals, although I have the feeling this thread will be closed for being off-topic (not really FR-related).

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Darkmeer
Senior Scribe

USA
505 Posts

Posted - 10 Feb 2008 :  21:00:22  Show Profile  Visit Darkmeer's Homepage Send Darkmeer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Actually, I don't think he's far off-topic, in a grand sense of the word. I've got an idea from this, and I hope that this helps steer us back into the Realms.

Okay, from Underdark (3.5 product), we have Earth Nodes and Faerzess. What, Canon-wise is said about these areas?

If I were to present this to my players, I'd likely use a powerful earth node or connection to the quasielemental plane of mineral to show the glory of it all. As to what you could do with it, we could alter gravity so that ranged attacks past, say 50' or so are ineffectual, as the gravity keeps changing near larger crystals.

Okay, so the description (with handout) goes:
"You enter a relatively open cavern after what seems like hours. There is a strange glow, and you realize that it is coming from crystals all around you, including below your feet. You stand on a gigantic crystal bridge, that intersects with many other smaller and a few larger ones. The majestic beauty of the cavern overwhelms you as you walk through, and suddenly the sunrod you've been carrying 'falls' out of your hand to a nearby crystal, well within arm's reach. It seems this cave has more perils than first imagined."

I can picture a group of driders using this place as a lair, which would make them slightly at a disadvantage, depending on the spells they chose, or at a great disadvantage.

If the players look down, they see:
"you see a strange bubbling liquid. It seems that the crystals are growing out of it, in a haphazard fashion."

Boom, interesting room, and then wham encounter. You could do a number of creatures, from elemental based ones to more vile underdark creatures. I could even see a killer encounter using an Umberhulk. Cue "I'm an UmberJack and I'm okay..."

/d

"These people are my family, not just friends, and if you want to get to them you gotta go through ME."
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 10 Feb 2008 :  21:28:27  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Interestingly enough, the articles on the Underdark (as well as the Feywild version of the Underdark) in Worlds and Monsters mention giant crystals like this.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

BARDOBARBAROS
Senior Scribe

Greece
581 Posts

Posted - 10 Feb 2008 :  23:01:57  Show Profile  Visit BARDOBARBAROS's Homepage Send BARDOBARBAROS a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Indeed it's interesting ....

BARDOBARBAROS DOES NOT KILL.
HE DECAPITATES!!!

"The city changes, but the fools within it remain always the same" (Edwin Odesseiron- Baldur's gate 2)
Go to Top of Page

tauster
Senior Scribe

Germany
399 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2008 :  08:55:34  Show Profile  Visit tauster's Homepage Send tauster a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was aware that my posting lacks a realmsian background, but I

- thought the whole thing was too cool to not share it with other scribes here
- didn't know where else to post it and
- didn't want to create an "alibi-realmsification" to justify the thread.

Darkmeer's idea sounds great, and I am sure I'll use something along these lines. Another idea would be making the crystal caverns the realm and lair of one of the more exitic underdark-dwelling races like Glouras (sp?) or Pech. Svirfneblin could be another option: these little guys are not very much detailed, apart from the usual cliché encounter descriptions. The caves might be the Svirfneblin's temple, and letting them summon a crystal elemental (or some other crystal-related monster) before the eyes of the PC will leave a lasting impression...
Go to Top of Page

GRYPHON
Senior Scribe

USA
527 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2008 :  15:25:41  Show Profile Send GRYPHON a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Stunning...definitely brings new ideas to mind about the Underdark.

'Everyone dies...I only choose the time and place for a few.' --Eric Destler
Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 15 Mar 2011 :  01:11:30  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just found this in the archives. I've got a few great ideas using these.

Misanthorpe

Love is a lie. Only hate endures. Light is blinding. Only in darkness do we see clearly.

"Oh, you think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it, molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man, by then it was nothing to me but.. blinding. The shadows betray you because they belong to me." - Bane The Dark Knight Rises

Green Dragonscale Dice Bag by Crystalsidyll - check it out

Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7971 Posts

Posted - 15 Mar 2011 :  01:41:03  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There are several crystal cave sites in the world and many more pictures on google. There's also a short documentary series about them (as seen in the Cueva de los Cristales in Mexico) which sometimes runs on the learning channels.

These images could indeed serve as great representations of the Quasi-elemental Plane of Crystal.

These 50-ton crystals formed during (geologic) aeons of immersion in volcanically heated water rich in calcium and other elements; they are largely composed of a mixture of calcium and silicon quartz. Most such caves are still immersed in water, only a handful have drained out, and these still retain unbearable heat (in excess of 140F/60C) which will kill an unprotected human in minutes. Researchers rarely venture very far since severe dehydration, exposure, and thermal fatigue sets in after only 15-20 minutes at most, even with all the water they can carry while wearing respirators and hostile environment suits (they aren't bumbling amateurs). The razor-sharp crystalline edges are also a constant danger. Some attempts have been made to chip and core crystal samples for chemical and biological analysis, but the conditions are so hot that these literally only scratch the surface (powertools and batteries do not operate in the extreme heat, even light sources are unreliable).

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 15 Mar 2011 :  01:52:35  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This is interesting. I wrote about such a cavern in one of my stories, it was essentially a giant geode, with a floor of volcanic glass. It's nice to see I wasn't far off the mark!

The Goddess is alive, and magic is afoot.

"Where Science ends, Magic begins" -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

"You idiots! You've captured their STUNT doubles!" -Spaceballs

Lothir's character background/stats: http://forum.candlekeep.com/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=5469

My stories:
http://z3.invisionfree.com/Mickeys_Comic_Tavern/index.php?showforum=188

Lothir, courtesy of Sylinde (Deviant Art)/Luaxena (Chosen of Eilistraee)
http://sylinde.deviantart.com/#/d2z6e4u
Go to Top of Page

Brynweir
Senior Scribe

USA
436 Posts

Posted - 15 Mar 2011 :  02:00:31  Show Profile Send Brynweir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am so glad you found this and dug it out. It gives me some great ideas for the Underdark, all those giant web-like structures...

Kind if reminds me of the Widow of the Web from Krull too

Anyone who likes to read something that's really dark and gritty and completely awesome ought to read The Night Angel Trilogy by Brent Weeks. You can check out a little taste at www.BrentWeeks.com I should probably warn you, though, that it is definitely not PG-13 :-D

He also started a new Trilogy with Black Prism, which may even surpass the Night Angel Trilogy in its awesomeness.

Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7971 Posts

Posted - 15 Mar 2011 :  02:35:20  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Cheesy movie, Krull. Though I very much liked the widow's spider, the cyclops, and the moving fortress.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 15 Mar 2011 :  02:38:59  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ah, don't ya just love cheesy 80's fantasy flicks? i was quite taken with that weapon...

The Goddess is alive, and magic is afoot.

"Where Science ends, Magic begins" -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

"You idiots! You've captured their STUNT doubles!" -Spaceballs

Lothir's character background/stats: http://forum.candlekeep.com/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=5469

My stories:
http://z3.invisionfree.com/Mickeys_Comic_Tavern/index.php?showforum=188

Lothir, courtesy of Sylinde (Deviant Art)/Luaxena (Chosen of Eilistraee)
http://sylinde.deviantart.com/#/d2z6e4u
Go to Top of Page

Brynweir
Senior Scribe

USA
436 Posts

Posted - 15 Mar 2011 :  02:43:45  Show Profile Send Brynweir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd say as much sci-fi as fantasy, but it was nice when I was a kid. And yes, cheesy.

And as stated before, who knows what will spark a wonderful adventure idea?

Anyone who likes to read something that's really dark and gritty and completely awesome ought to read The Night Angel Trilogy by Brent Weeks. You can check out a little taste at www.BrentWeeks.com I should probably warn you, though, that it is definitely not PG-13 :-D

He also started a new Trilogy with Black Prism, which may even surpass the Night Angel Trilogy in its awesomeness.

Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7971 Posts

Posted - 15 Mar 2011 :  03:27:02  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Isn't there already a geode cavern somewhere in the Underdark? The site of a city?

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 15 Mar 2011 :  10:43:33  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I hand't seen this thread when it was first posted. Very nice.

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000