Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Psychic swords, tools, and other things
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7970 Posts

Posted - 15 Feb 2011 :  22:45:41  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
(It's possible that psychic swords are already written up as something other than what I'm asking about. If so, my mistake.)

We've all seen powers/abilities/feats/spells/psionics/etc which allow a character to somehow instantly form a sword or blade out of nothing (explained as psychic/magical/soul/whatever energy). In D&D, in many other games and settings; probably a fairly standard superhero power and good Hollywood eye candy. Basically a totally naked character can conjure up some kind of crazy glowing destructive lightsaber-like weapon whenever needed.

D&D probably has any number of psionics, spells, and items which can conjure weapons, extradimensionally store/retrieve them, shrink them into portable forms, etc. Countless (crappy internet) versions of D&D "Psi-Knights" (à la Rifts RPG) exist, I wouldn't be surprised if I'm overlooking official 1E/2E/3E/3.5E versions as well.

I assume psychic daggers, axes, spears, bludgeons, or whatever could be summoned up as easily as a sword. But what of non-combat tools? Could the axe be used to cut wood, a hammer be used for carpentry and forgecraft? Could a psychic shovel, crowbar, lockpick, drill, chisel, or file exist? Some kind of psychic quill, inkbot, and binder? Finally, my obfuscated real question: psychic musical instruments?

[/Ayrik]

Edited by - Ayrik on 15 Feb 2011 22:48:28

Erdrick Stormedge
Learned Scribe

132 Posts

Posted - 15 Feb 2011 :  22:54:20  Show Profile  Visit Erdrick Stormedge's Homepage Send Erdrick Stormedge a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 15 Feb 2011 :  22:58:51  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There appears no reason after some research that current spells/powers that can conjure weapons to conjure tools.

In fact depending on version/Edition you play such power already exist.

I believe all do allow summon object.

As to using a war hammer to nail, that is unlikely unless user very skilled.
Using a war axe clearly can be used to cut trees.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7970 Posts

Posted - 15 Feb 2011 :  23:21:22  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm not asking about mere conjuring and summoning, not just grabbing or duplicating any old sword or tool.

I mean some kind of glowing essence or energy shaped by the user's will into the form of a sword or tool. Can anyone point out a few pre-4E feats or PrCs which utilize this? Can complex things like musical instruments be formed? (And would they actually be useful for making musical sounds?)

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 16 Feb 2011 :  02:02:46  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well IIRC 1st Edition psionics gave the ability to make something out of nothing, I will need to check the books.

Making something from nothing is scattered in many places. Create Food and water for example.

Manifest blades clearly exists and can be modified to other items if you want.

Making a musical instrument I believe is covered by Major Creation spell in 3.5 Edition.

I am sure there are other ways to to manifest energy as well to make items that last and be usable.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

Quale
Master of Realmslore

1757 Posts

Posted - 16 Feb 2011 :  17:49:54  Show Profile Send Quale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There's the soulknife class (Expanded Psionics Handbook)

I guess the karach blades could be used for anything, not just tearing down the fabric of the planes.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000