Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Psychic swords, tools, and other things

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Ayrik Posted - 15 Feb 2011 : 22:45:41
(It's possible that psychic swords are already written up as something other than what I'm asking about. If so, my mistake.)

We've all seen powers/abilities/feats/spells/psionics/etc which allow a character to somehow instantly form a sword or blade out of nothing (explained as psychic/magical/soul/whatever energy). In D&D, in many other games and settings; probably a fairly standard superhero power and good Hollywood eye candy. Basically a totally naked character can conjure up some kind of crazy glowing destructive lightsaber-like weapon whenever needed.

D&D probably has any number of psionics, spells, and items which can conjure weapons, extradimensionally store/retrieve them, shrink them into portable forms, etc. Countless (crappy internet) versions of D&D "Psi-Knights" (à la Rifts RPG) exist, I wouldn't be surprised if I'm overlooking official 1E/2E/3E/3.5E versions as well.

I assume psychic daggers, axes, spears, bludgeons, or whatever could be summoned up as easily as a sword. But what of non-combat tools? Could the axe be used to cut wood, a hammer be used for carpentry and forgecraft? Could a psychic shovel, crowbar, lockpick, drill, chisel, or file exist? Some kind of psychic quill, inkbot, and binder? Finally, my obfuscated real question: psychic musical instruments?
5   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Quale Posted - 16 Feb 2011 : 17:49:54
There's the soulknife class (Expanded Psionics Handbook)

I guess the karach blades could be used for anything, not just tearing down the fabric of the planes.
Kentinal Posted - 16 Feb 2011 : 02:02:46
Well IIRC 1st Edition psionics gave the ability to make something out of nothing, I will need to check the books.

Making something from nothing is scattered in many places. Create Food and water for example.

Manifest blades clearly exists and can be modified to other items if you want.

Making a musical instrument I believe is covered by Major Creation spell in 3.5 Edition.

I am sure there are other ways to to manifest energy as well to make items that last and be usable.
Ayrik Posted - 15 Feb 2011 : 23:21:22
I'm not asking about mere conjuring and summoning, not just grabbing or duplicating any old sword or tool.

I mean some kind of glowing essence or energy shaped by the user's will into the form of a sword or tool. Can anyone point out a few pre-4E feats or PrCs which utilize this? Can complex things like musical instruments be formed? (And would they actually be useful for making musical sounds?)
Kentinal Posted - 15 Feb 2011 : 22:58:51
There appears no reason after some research that current spells/powers that can conjure weapons to conjure tools.

In fact depending on version/Edition you play such power already exist.

I believe all do allow summon object.

As to using a war hammer to nail, that is unlikely unless user very skilled.
Using a war axe clearly can be used to cut trees.
Erdrick Stormedge Posted - 15 Feb 2011 : 22:54:20
Yes

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000