Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Grand Comedy of the Realms
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7974 Posts

Posted - 09 Feb 2011 :  16:10:48  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Some characters manage to pull of a bit of both. Szass Tam's witty nonchalance has certain humourous appeal at times.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 09 Feb 2011 :  16:46:53  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Someone mentioned 'Gilligan'... he's in OAtR as well; IIRC, the dwarf with the skyship was calling his small pterraman companion his 'little buddy', and the ship was called the Minnow (once again, IIRC).

Mr. Rourke and Tattoo (a Halfling) were in there as well (in Maztica), along with dozens of other TV references.

I think I walked away with one usable geography reference (a city on the coast of Kara-Tur that has many Faerunian ex-patriates in it, which exists in the 'lost province').

Read that book and then decide if you really want low-brow comedy in the Realms. A lot of the information left me with a "Say WHAT?!" impression (like the fact that two relatively weak humans were able to stroll into Myth Drannor unmolested).

I suppose we could 'assume' that Volo is blessed of Tymora, since the novel is one, long series of fortunate events (that manage to save Volo and his companions' lives time and again).

@Allysra - I don't remember a Skullport scene, but then again, I have tried to blot much of it out of my memory. Considering your attempted 'title change', methinks we may be discussing different works.

The two guards at the beginning are named after the Star Trek captians (Kirk and Stewart). Its that bad.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 09 Feb 2011 16:58:04
Go to Top of Page

Therise
Master of Realmslore

1272 Posts

Posted - 09 Feb 2011 :  17:06:20  Show Profile Send Therise a Private Message  Reply with Quote
For humor, I've always had a soft spot in my heart for Greenwood's interpretation of Cormyr's royal guards and wizards of war. It starts out mild, then usually turns into something out of the Keystone Kops. Elminster Must Die! goes along those lines at various points, and it's pretty funny.

For horror, I quite liked Davis' Circle of Thorns. As a genre, I don't even like horror fiction. But the way Davis blended Waterdeep with Asmodean cultists, it was very effective and really creepy. I didn't like the Haunted Lands trilogy, as the characters were just not likeable at all. I kept wanting Szass Tam to come and smack them all into instant death because of their relentless emo whining, but their plot armor was too thick.

Female, 40-year DM of a homebrew-evolved 1E Realms, including a few added tidbits of 2E and 3E lore; played originally in AD&D, then in Rolemaster. Be a DM for your kids and grandkids, gaming is excellent for families!
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7974 Posts

Posted - 09 Feb 2011 :  17:36:59  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Gilligan's Island is also obliquely referenced in OA5 Mad Monkey vs Dragon Claw. The extraordinary favour Tymora bestows upon Volo is lampshaded during the Avatar Crisis; Volo is nearly killed by disgruntled cutthroats after his runs of supernatural luck assure (desperately unwanted) phenomenal success during his gambling pastimes. Conversely, the other Volo often seems relentlessly abused by Beshaba's special favour.

Early (1980's) D&D seemed more lighthearted and superficial, less inclined to treat itself seriously. Though this was more pronounced in the game than in the novels.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 09 Feb 2011 :  17:53:49  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
NOTHING will ever compare to Greyhawk's Coca-Cola golems.

I can't believe I ever ran that setting, looking back, but I still have much nostalgic love for it.

I guess when you haven't yet tasted Filet Mignon, hamburger still tastes good to you.

Oh... and Chocolate Bunny Golems... <shiver>

Those may have actually been in the same issue of Dragon as the much-loved Athalantar article, along with some of FR's strangest (and comedic) lore, like a Beholder 'gangsta' that wears a zoot-suit, and the fiddle-playing Drow (IIRC). Now THAT was some really bad FR comedy (still amusing, though).

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 09 Feb 2011 17:54:36
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7974 Posts

Posted - 09 Feb 2011 :  18:19:40  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Giant Space Hamster of Ill-Omen ... there isn't much need to say more.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 09 Feb 2011 :  19:00:39  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Arik

Giant Space Hamster of Ill-Omen ... there isn't much need to say more.

Ah, but that's a Spelljammer reference!

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 09 Feb 2011 :  20:34:37  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey, at least it's not orc Spelljammers- which would, of course, be "pigs in space".....And I seem to recall a D&D soda vending machine in the Encyclopedia Magica.

And then there's this: http://sterminio.deviantart.com/art/Drow-Cola-65914991?q=sort%3Atime+favby%3ADemonLover57&qo=3

The Goddess is alive, and magic is afoot.

"Where Science ends, Magic begins" -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

"You idiots! You've captured their STUNT doubles!" -Spaceballs

Lothir's character background/stats: http://forum.candlekeep.com/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=5469

My stories:
http://z3.invisionfree.com/Mickeys_Comic_Tavern/index.php?showforum=188

Lothir, courtesy of Sylinde (Deviant Art)/Luaxena (Chosen of Eilistraee)
http://sylinde.deviantart.com/#/d2z6e4u
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7974 Posts

Posted - 09 Feb 2011 :  23:31:13  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The spelljamming race of orcs are called scro. They consider orcs to be their backwards cousins.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 09 Feb 2011 :  23:44:57  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Gilligan's Island is also obliquely referenced in OA5 Mad Monkey vs Dragon Claw. The extraordinary favour Tymora bestows upon Volo is lampshaded during the Avatar Crisis; Volo is nearly killed by disgruntled cutthroats after his runs of supernatural luck assure (desperately unwanted) phenomenal success during his gambling pastimes. Conversely, the other Volo often seems relentlessly abused by Beshaba's special favour.

Early (1980's) D&D seemed more lighthearted and superficial, less inclined to treat itself seriously. Though this was more pronounced in the game than in the novels.

Actually, Volo's extraordinary run of luck was well after the Time of Troubles -- Volo himself wasn't intro'ed until a few years after the ToT. Volo's run of painfully good luck was in Tymora's Luck, when both she and Beshaba were involuntarily "leaking" luck all over the cosmos.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 09 Feb 2011 :  23:46:23  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

The spelljamming race of orcs are called scro. They consider orcs to be their backwards cousins.

Indeed. They are descended from regular orcs, but are far more intelligent and disciplined. They're quite militaristic, and many of them learn elvish so that they can insult dying elves in their own tongue.

The scro are my fave Spelljammer race.

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 01 Nov 2011 :  17:01:56  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Realms of Humor. Doesn't that sound great?

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 01 Nov 2011 :  18:27:30  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dennis

Possibly, but the humor i have seen in the Realms books which i have read has been rather pathetic.

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Amazon "KindleUnlimited" Free Trial: http://amzn.to/2AJ4yD2

Try Audible and Get 2 Free Audio Books! https://amzn.to/2IgBede
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 01 Nov 2011 :  18:53:02  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I never minded it much in the sourcebooks (there is definately a light-heartedness in RAS's original treatment of the Bloodstone lands), and even in some Ed's Volo guides (Elminster's running commentary is especially good), but in the novels I'd rather not have it. I think it detracts from the maturity of the setting, IMHO.

And as for the Scro, everyone knows they are just the Sharakim that made it into space.

You know about their warchiefs, right? They call them "Tums"....

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 02 Nov 2011 :  04:18:49  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by entreri3478

quote:
Originally posted by Dennis

Possibly, but the humor i have seen in the Realms books which i have read has been rather pathetic.

I heard Rosemary Jones's books have a fair dose of humor, so as the novels where Danilo Than (sp?) appeared. I can't attest myself, for I haven't read them. But a lot of scribes said so, so most likely there's truth in it.

Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 02 Nov 2011 :  12:33:46  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I enjoy humor, but don't really care to see it in my fantasy

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Amazon "KindleUnlimited" Free Trial: http://amzn.to/2AJ4yD2

Try Audible and Get 2 Free Audio Books! https://amzn.to/2IgBede
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2011 :  18:41:16  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

But it's a nice and welcome break when from page 1 to 400 all you see is gore and slaughter.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000