Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Storyteller players....
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Zimeros
Learned Scribe

Brazil
121 Posts

Posted - 18 Oct 2003 :  15:27:09  Show Profile  Visit Zimeros's Homepage Send Zimeros a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I don't know if there you have this problem, here in Brazil, the players that play RPG with storyteller system think they're most intelligent than who plays D&D. They say that we ,that play D&D, "play a stupid and old RPG system" and they think D&D is a "game for children, with its medieval imaginary like children's stories". I disagree with they, and I think they're stupids, I play D&D, Storyteller, and other system, and I think all system that I play is good, but they're diferent. I think it is a stupid preconcept with othe players. Do you know this, there? What you think about it?

"Gods protect children and drunks"

Arion Elenim
Senior Scribe

933 Posts

Posted - 18 Oct 2003 :  21:41:44  Show Profile  Visit Arion Elenim's Homepage Send Arion Elenim a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well I think you mean games like "Whitewolf", yes?

Well the problem that I have with Whitewolfers slamming D&D is that the term "storyteller" is nothing but a perversion of the original term - "Dungeon Master"...D&D being the FIRST standard roleplay system EVER. The games that use the term "storyteller" are only doing so in order to avoid being sued by D&D - the original system.

Secondly...ideas about vampires, werewolves and the like stem from MIDEVAL legends...yes indeed, the idea of the vampire did not come from Anne Rice or even Bram Stoker, but from ANCIENT western European mythology...in other words, without these early mideval fantasy influences, there would be no roleplay...

On top of which, who do these guys think they are kidding? They are sitting around a table rolling dice and talking with lame, out of tune accents.....just like us who D&D.

Tell them to slag off.....and that you have better things to do than run around with fake fangs and cheap satin...

My latest Realms-based short story, about a bard, a paladin of Lathander and the letter of the law, Debts Repaid. It takes place before the "shattering" and gives the bard Arion a last gasp before he plunges into the present.http://candlekeep.com/campaign/logs/log-debts.htm
Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 19 Oct 2003 :  02:34:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It really comes down to differences in playing styles.
Easiest way to explain it:
White Wolf products-For those who view RPGs as an art.
D&D and the like-For those of us who want to play a good game.
Go to Top of Page

William of Waterdeep
Senior Scribe

USA
829 Posts

Posted - 19 Oct 2003 :  03:51:14  Show Profile  Visit William of Waterdeep's Homepage Send William of Waterdeep a Private Message  Reply with Quote
:Quickly hides Vampire teeth: I can't believe those people myself.

Courage isn't the lack of fear but rather believing in and doing what you know is right even though fear is present.

Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 19 Oct 2003 :  04:59:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh, it's no problem playing White Wolf games. I played them on occasion myself, and quite liked them. It's when White Wolf players become snooty snobs that we start having problems...
Go to Top of Page

William of Waterdeep
Senior Scribe

USA
829 Posts

Posted - 19 Oct 2003 :  06:07:10  Show Profile  Visit William of Waterdeep's Homepage Send William of Waterdeep a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Arivia

Oh, it's no problem playing White Wolf games. I played them on occasion myself, and quite liked them. It's when White Wolf players become snooty snobs that we start having problems...

Courage isn't the lack of fear but rather believing in and doing what you know is right even though fear is present.

Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 19 Oct 2003 :  06:24:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What?
Go to Top of Page

William of Waterdeep
Senior Scribe

USA
829 Posts

Posted - 19 Oct 2003 :  07:03:12  Show Profile  Visit William of Waterdeep's Homepage Send William of Waterdeep a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh i didn't say anything.Literaly......I thought I did but it didn't post.

Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 19 Oct 2003 :  07:10:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What were you going to say?
Go to Top of Page

William of Waterdeep
Senior Scribe

USA
829 Posts

Posted - 19 Oct 2003 :  07:24:12  Show Profile  Visit William of Waterdeep's Homepage Send William of Waterdeep a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Nothing important,just that I understood what you meant.
*puts vampire teeth back in and runs away howling.*

Go to Top of Page

The Cardinal
Senior Scribe

Canada
647 Posts

Posted - 19 Oct 2003 :  07:37:09  Show Profile  Visit The Cardinal's Homepage Send The Cardinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't really see a difrence between the two really... Not That i'm that unassuming ( I've learned my lesson from the Drizzt Topic ) But I figure: "Hey since their both RPGs their kinda the same thing." It really depends on the DM/GM/Storyteller.. umm guy.. thing.. person... Well anyways I just Restocked my RPG collection ( YES I picked up some Drizzt stuff.... I spent at least 150$ cdn on Drizzt books alone) Anyways this new( well not that new maybe) game I picked up looks more story based than others, 'Call of Cthulu'. I figure I'd make a good game if I could pull it off. After all you've got guns, and stuff, fighting not really supernatural but umm was was the term.. kinda real creatures that existed supposedly before man, etc. AND ( my personal fave) You got a sanity score. Magic also exists BUT It costs you some stat points ( Temp damage unless other wis stated) and Sanity damage (man didn't make this magick... the elder and old ones did).... Anyways, my point is that this would be more of a storyteller RPG than the regular Hack N Slash ( which CoC trys to avoid being, says so in the print). A more Hack n Slash Rpg with story elements might be more Warcraft style ( picked that book up too ) Still if they just simply pass off northerners as a buncha thugs, orcs and barbarians ( Hey Will, I think they might be on to us ), then I suggest they think again. We love a good story as much as the next person (My people used to tell every tale instead of writting... true I'm only a half-blood but my Grandmother is teaching me the old language and some of the old tales). Well there, I think this a lot more supported than my Drizzt arguement... which I haven't given up on... now I have ammo... just need to read through it all

It has to be Certain, the Gods Hate Me. For whatever irrevokable Fate, I have been made the walking Joke. Either that, or Beshaba is overlyfond Of Me.
-Unknown
Go to Top of Page

Jander Sunstar
Learned Scribe

Turkey
275 Posts

Posted - 19 Oct 2003 :  13:53:49  Show Profile  Visit Jander Sunstar's Homepage Send Jander Sunstar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I didn't play white wolf but I heard its rules are more complex than d&d, this can be the reason why they think d&d is for 15 year old kids. But official rules are really for fools and children. They did anyth,ng to make the game simpler.
Anyway, I like vampire the masqurade, it is a very nice game.

Punish me if you will, for my hands are not clean. But deny me not my revenge!"
-Jander Sunstar
Go to Top of Page

William of Waterdeep
Senior Scribe

USA
829 Posts

Posted - 19 Oct 2003 :  15:17:12  Show Profile  Visit William of Waterdeep's Homepage Send William of Waterdeep a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Cardinal doesn't surrender easy do he.I agree with you on the story telling.Enjoy those Drizzt books,all good reading.

Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 19 Oct 2003 :  20:16:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Actually, the D&D rules are much more complex and cover more than the Storyteller rules. The largest difference is that Storyteller games use a point-buy system for character abilities, instead of D&D's class-and-level system.
Go to Top of Page

Jander Sunstar
Learned Scribe

Turkey
275 Posts

Posted - 19 Oct 2003 :  21:18:39  Show Profile  Visit Jander Sunstar's Homepage Send Jander Sunstar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't care if the rules are for too easy or hard, I love D&D, I love realms.

-Jander Sunstar
Go to Top of Page

The Cardinal
Senior Scribe

Canada
647 Posts

Posted - 19 Oct 2003 :  21:24:27  Show Profile  Visit The Cardinal's Homepage Send The Cardinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Then let our love for the Realms bind us always!
For the Protecton of all,
We pledge allegiance to The Land!
For the Realms we will stand,
And for good we shall guard.

Evil can never touch our hearts,
For we know our path is right.
For D&D has given us sight,
And for the realms we shall remain!

It has to be Certain, the Gods Hate Me. For whatever irrevokable Fate, I have been made the walking Joke. Either that, or Beshaba is overlyfond Of Me.
-Unknown
Go to Top of Page

Jander Sunstar
Learned Scribe

Turkey
275 Posts

Posted - 19 Oct 2003 :  21:48:32  Show Profile  Visit Jander Sunstar's Homepage Send Jander Sunstar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Cardinal Deimos

Then let our love for the Realms bind us always!
For the Protecton of all,
We pledge allegiance to The Land!
For the Realms we will stand,
And for good we shall guard.

Evil can never touch our hearts,
For we know our path is right.
For D&D has given us sight,
And for the realms we shall remain!

I like it
Good job

-Jander Sunstar
Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 20 Oct 2003 :  03:45:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very good, Cardinal. Just fix the spelling mistake in the first line, and it will be perfect...
Go to Top of Page

William of Waterdeep
Senior Scribe

USA
829 Posts

Posted - 20 Oct 2003 :  05:05:59  Show Profile  Visit William of Waterdeep's Homepage Send William of Waterdeep a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Very good, Cardinal. Just fix the spelling mistake in the first line, and it will be perfect...

I never noticed the mistake.
You all as we say in the south need to get MSN Messenger.If you do i'll tell you a funny story about WhiteWolf if you will remind me.

Edited by - William of Waterdeep on 20 Oct 2003 05:06:38
Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 20 Oct 2003 :  05:11:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not going to anytime soon, as it has practically no usefulness for me. How about sending me the story through e-mail?
Go to Top of Page

William of Waterdeep
Senior Scribe

USA
829 Posts

Posted - 20 Oct 2003 :  05:15:32  Show Profile  Visit William of Waterdeep's Homepage Send William of Waterdeep a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Not going to anytime soon, as it has practically no usefulness for me. How about sending me the story through e-mail?

Yeah,I could do that,I just don't want to post it here because certain people could see it.Give me a little time to write it up
because this is a true story not some adventure I have written down.

Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 20 Oct 2003 :  05:20:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Take your time on the story. By the way, those two items I was doing for you(the deity list and the sculpture template)are going to take even longer now...as the computer failure claimed my notes on those, forcing me to redesign them from scratch...
Go to Top of Page

William of Waterdeep
Senior Scribe

USA
829 Posts

Posted - 20 Oct 2003 :  05:29:43  Show Profile  Visit William of Waterdeep's Homepage Send William of Waterdeep a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thats fine and I completly understand computer failure.
It sux.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000