Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Films of Interest to Realms Fans . . .
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 74

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2014 :  17:41:40  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Saw Jack Ryan: Shadow Recruit the other night at SM. The plot is decent enough. Branagh said he read some Jack Ryan novels, and that's likely why he stuck to canon in terms of developing JR as a character. There's pretty much more emphasis on Jack's work as an analyst than his being an "operational CIA killing machine." For the fans of the books, that's probably a good thing. However, I felt such emphasis somehow hampered the sense of urgency, the thrill, the action in the film. Overall, it's underwhelming.

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2014 :  18:25:13  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So is it focused on Jack Ryan, Senior, then, instead of Jack Ryan, Junior? Because Senior should be in his 60s by now, and a former President of the US doesn't make the best intelligence agent...

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2014 :  19:57:39  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

So is it focused on Jack Ryan, Senior, then, instead of Jack Ryan, Junior? Because Senior should be in his 60s by now, and a former President of the US doesn't make the best intelligence agent...
Maybe, given that when the bulk of the movie reaches the present, Jack is still in his thirties. Jack's family wasn't really discussed (or maybe just in passing that I didn't catch because, admittedly, I was half-distracted). He was taking his PhD in London School of Economics when 9/11 happened and he decided to join the marines. The chopper he was riding got hit, he was severely injured, and got himself in physical therapy for months till a CIA agent (Kevin Costner) offered him to finish his PhD and work as a covert agent in Wall Street (a supposedly desk job). Fast-forward ten years: 2013, and it's when all the action happens. Don't know if that's covered in any of the novels.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2014 :  21:06:49  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dennis

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Maybe, given that when the bulk of the movie reaches the present, Jack is still in his thirties. Jack's family wasn't really discussed (or maybe just in passing that I didn't catch because, admittedly, I was half-distracted). He was taking his PhD in London School of Economics when 9/11 happened and he decided to join the marines. The chopper he was riding got hit, he was severely injured, and got himself in physical therapy for months till a CIA agent (Kevin Costner) offered him to finish his PhD and work as a covert agent in Wall Street (a supposedly desk job). Fast-forward ten years: 2013, and it's when all the action happens. Don't know if that's covered in any of the novels.

Wow. That's a lot of changes... Originally, Jack Ryan had been a Marine, gotten out after breaking his back in helicopter crash, made a lot of money on Wall Street, then became a teacher at the Naval Academy and an author of history books. He was in London doing research for another book when he stumbled into an attack on the Prince of Wales, his wife, and their infant son. He killed one of the terrorists and took another one down. It was after this that he decided he wanted to see what info the CIA had on the IRA -- he'd spent some time working for the CIA before, as a civilian consultant. The Deputy Director of Intelligence had taken a shine to Ryan, and used the IRA info to get Ryan back inside and eventually hired as a full-on CIA analyst.

Jack had a wife and daughter at that time; his son was conceived in London.

His first time in the field was trying to prevent the assassination of Pope John Paul II, and part of why he was chosen then was because he was close and had all the info. This is also why he wound up in the field in the operation to assist in the defection of the Red October's captain and officers, along with the sub. His only other field ops were a face-to-face with the head of the KGB, convincing the latter to defect, and an unofficial military op in Columbia -- he wound up as gunner on a helicopter, and that particular trip wasn't sanctioned by anyone at all.

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 17 Jan 2014 :  11:04:53  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

In fairness to them, they made it clear that they're not basing the plot on any of the novels and even used the phrase "based on the characters by Tom Clancy" instead "based on the series by Tom Clancy." Besides, they want to show Jack living in the "present." Same happened to the Bourne series, anyway.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 17 Jan 2014 :  12:10:56  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

In fairness to them, they made it clear that they're not basing the plot on any of the novels and even used the phrase "based on the characters by Tom Clancy" instead "based on the series by Tom Clancy." Besides, they want to show Jack living in the "present." Same happened to the Bourne series, anyway.

True... But Jack Ryan Junior is the right age to be active right now, and did get into the operational side, so I don't see why they didn't go with him.

Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 25 Jan 2014 :  13:05:10  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So the Snow and the Huntsman director has been signed on to direct the movie version one of the most iconic anime of all time Ghost in the shell.Read more here
Personally I was not too impressed but Snow white and am not happy about this newbie directing such a classic.
Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 30 Jan 2014 :  03:04:04  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Underworld: Awakening was just on tv. Is Kate Beckinsale in a latex catsuit hotter than my mom? Hot damn ho! What was that movie about? Alls I saw was bullets and bustiere.

Misanthorpe

Love is a lie. Only hate endures. Light is blinding. Only in darkness do we see clearly.

"Oh, you think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it, molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man, by then it was nothing to me but.. blinding. The shadows betray you because they belong to me." - Bane The Dark Knight Rises

Green Dragonscale Dice Bag by Crystalsidyll - check it out

Edited by - Fellfire on 30 Jan 2014 03:07:34
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 30 Jan 2014 :  05:21:54  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Fellfire

Underworld: Awakening was just on tv. Is Kate Beckinsale in a latex catsuit hotter than my mom? Hot damn ho! What was that movie about? Alls I saw was bullets and bustiere.

I've never seen any of those movies... But she's still on my list.

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 04 Feb 2014 :  07:45:06  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Hitman Movie Has a New Agent 47, Homeland's Rupert Friend

I still don't understand why they're rebooting the film when the first was a hit commercially, considering the rather modest budget. I just hope that Rupert Friend would give justice to the character. The only movie of his that I saw was Pride and Prejudice, and his performance must be lackluster because I don't remember his character at all. Anyway, even though I don't watch Homeland, I've heard a couple of good reviews, and the show's going great ratings-wise, so maybe this guy's not a bad choice at all.

New Spock Joins Cast of the New Hitman Movie

No confirmation yet as to what his character will be exactly. He could be Agent 47's new ally. Perhaps an American asset (CIA operative). He was, however, very effective as Sylar in Heroes, so my guess leans toward him being the new antagonist in this reboot. Maybe one of Agent 47's old "comrades." Better yet, he is Agent 0, the Organization's prototype, their best who went rogue and was assassinated and thought to be dead, only to resurface and kill off all the Organization's agents and leaders. Good, old-fashioned revenge, as they say. Of course, that's just speculation.

I still maintain that Timothy Olyphant should reprise the role as Agent 47, but if there's anything good about this reboot, it's this news on Quinto.

Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 05 Feb 2014 :  09:56:23  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah I always felt that people were a bit too harsh about his performance in the original movie.
I thought he did a pretty decent job as agent 47.
Still the reboot sounds like it will be quite interesting.
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 05 Feb 2014 :  11:04:37  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Thauranil

Yeah I always felt that people were a bit too harsh about his performance in the original movie.
All things considered, I'm still happy they're making another movie, reboot or no reboot.

I just hope I wouldn't be weirded out as I was when I saw Bourne Legacy, a Bourne movie without Bourne/Damon in it.

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 05 Feb 2014 :  11:17:31  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Transformers 4: Age of Extinction Official Movie Trailer

Who needs a good plot when you have a bunch of giant angry flying, rolling, crawling, sword-wielding robots; endless gore; relentless, indiscriminate carnage; and--did I already say giant angry robots? Oh, and I love the mounts!

Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 05 Feb 2014 :  13:11:01  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

All things considered, I'm still happy they're making another movie, reboot or no reboot.

I just hope I wouldn't be weirded out as I was when I saw Bourne Legacy, a Bourne movie without Bourne/Damon in it.

Ahh but the Bourne series was three movies long whereas we had only only Hitman movie with Timothy in it so I doubt it will have such a large impact.
Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 05 Feb 2014 :  13:15:29  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Transformers 4: Age of Extinction Official Movie Trailer

Who needs a good plot when you have a bunch of giant angry flying, rolling, crawling, sword-wielding robots; endless gore; relentless, indiscriminate carnage; and--did I already say giant angry robots? Oh, and I love the mounts!

Ha ha no kidding, giant robo dinosaurs as mounts. Looking good Optimus.
Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 21 Feb 2014 :  11:39:04  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So the Guardians of the Galaxy trailer is out. Check it out Here
Frankly in spite of having read hundreds of comics I don't recall ever reading about the "Guardians of the galaxy" before but still it looks like a pretty funny movie.
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 05 Mar 2014 :  14:55:25  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Sort of gotten past my dislike with Liam Neeson, so I bought the DVDs of Taken and Taken 2. Wow, I loved the first (and I now I regret I missed it [intentionally] when it first came out). Such suspense kept me on the edge of my seat, like literally. Liam was very convincing in his role, and his desperation, however well masked, was so palpable you couldn't help but root for him all throughout. And the fight scenes were good, sort of like those you'd seen in Bourne.

The second movie, while not as suspenseful and in a way a rehash of the first, was enjoyable as well. I just found the last fighting scene somewhat comical. I mean, Liam was practically fighting a dwarf.

Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 06 Mar 2014 :  14:08:28  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Sort of gotten past my dislike with Liam Neeson, so I bought the DVDs of Taken and Taken 2. Wow, I loved the first (and I now I regret I missed it [intentionally] when it first came out). Such suspense kept me on the edge of my seat, like literally. Liam was very convincing in his role, and his desperation, however well masked, was so palpable you couldn't help but root for him all throughout. And the fight scenes were good, sort of like those you'd seen in Bourne.

The second movie, while not as suspenseful and in a way a rehash of the first, was enjoyable as well. I just found the last fighting scene somewhat comical. I mean, Liam was practically fighting a dwarf.

The Taken movies were surprisingly entertaining and of course Liam Neeson is a very good actor.
That said I hope there isn't a Taken 3. The story has kind of gotten old now.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 07 Mar 2014 :  02:45:43  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Frankly in spite of having read hundreds of comics I don't recall ever reading about the "Guardians of the galaxy" before but still it looks like a pretty funny movie.

There's been several different versions of the "core concept" of a Guardians team for Marvel. One from the 70's/80's. Another from the early 90's. And then the more modern renditions, which have been repeatedly revamped since their reintroduction from the earlier 2000's.

I like what Marvel is attempting to do with this film. And it's nice seeing that they aren't taking the concept of these so-called "Space Avengers" seriously. My only [minor] gripe so far... is the notable absence of Adam Warlock among the team. He's been a mainstay of the group in more modern interpretations. [Not the current one, though.] So it's a shame for me not to see one of my favourite Marvel characters up on the big screen for this adaptation.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 07 Mar 2014 :  13:50:53  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Maybe they plan to save him for later movies. I hear that they are already planning a sequel for this one so they must be pretty confident.
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 09 Mar 2014 :  07:50:23  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

The Taken movies were surprisingly entertaining and of course Liam Neeson is a very good actor.

That said I hope there isn't a Taken 3. The story has kind of gotten old now.
Probably best if they hadn't made the second movie, as the plot somehow felt forced, even the supposed "twist." Though as I said above, I have nothing but high praises for the first film.

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 09 Mar 2014 :  08:03:52  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:

There's been several different versions of the "core concept" of a Guardians team for Marvel. One from the 70's/80's. Another from the early 90's. And then the more modern renditions, which have been repeatedly revamped since their reintroduction from the earlier 2000's.

I like what Marvel is attempting to do with this film. And it's nice seeing that they aren't taking the concept of these so-called "Space Avengers" seriously. My only [minor] gripe so far... is the notable absence of Adam Warlock among the team. He's been a mainstay of the group in more modern interpretations. [Not the current one, though.] So it's a shame for me not to see one of my favourite Marvel characters up on the big screen for this adaptation.
When I first heard that they were going to make a GoG movie, I was rather apathetic. Having seen the trailer, however, I think I'm gonna like it, especially the humor.

I'm not sure if the general public is ready for this kind of movie though. One can say it's some sort of an "artistic" parody of superhero movies. Artistic maybe, but parody nonetheless. And while Marvel has injected healthy doses of humor in their films, ultimately, the heroes they feature are just that--heroes that do great things and are worship-worthy. The GoGs may have some semblance of these qualities, but to the core, they are more like, as that guard (?) said, a bunch of a-holes.

I think it's a fresh take on superhero movies that deserves a wide audience. I just don't think majority of the moviegoers are ready--yet.

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 29 Mar 2014 :  10:11:44  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

At long last! Hunter X Hunter: The Last Mission gets released in the Philippines!

Can't wait. I was disappointed with the first, but I have high hopes for this one, even though they made my favorite characters (Kilua and Kurapika) practically useless here.

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 31 Mar 2014 :  16:36:13  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Saw Captain America: The Winter Soldier today. Wow, what a ride! I’m an instant convert. Know that I was always apathetic to Cap. Until now. Felt the first film fell short of . . . something. Even in the Avengers film, I could hardly care for Cap. But now this?

Spoilers

Really solid plot that meshes very well with the so-far-known lore of Marvel’s cinematic universe. The return of Bucky surprises me a lot. And his scenes with Steve are some of the most poignant shown in Marvel. Best friends turned enemies. Nothing new in the superhero world, really. We have Clark and Lex, Pete and Harry, and Charles and Erik, among others. As in all elements of a good story, it’s not just a sense of newness that’s important—above all, it’s how the characters are developed, how they change and yet retain that certain fabric of their personality that’s distinctly theirs and theirs alone. And that’s how we see Steve and Bucky evolve. Their last fighting sequence is nothing short of dramatic. Bucky (who turns out to be the Winter Soldier, one of Hydra’s “weapons,” altered as a super soldier) tells Steve that CA is his mission and he’s got to finish him off, and Steve, letting his best friend punch him to his heart’s content, realizing he can never hurt Bucky, just says, “Then finish it.” And then Cap falls into the river, and Bucky, despite himself, or likely truly remembering who he really is, saves the very person he once swore, decades ago, to be the one he can rely on—always.

That’s pretty much the “heart” of the plot. Of course, it wouldn’t be a Marvel movie if there’s no internal conflict involved. And in this case, it’s in SHIELD. Yes, Hydra has somehow managed to infiltrate the supposedly most secure US facility/agency. And the effects are almost as disastrous as the events in Avengers, leaving Nick Fury nearly dead.

I am glad they also give Black Widow and Nick Fury fair screen time. Despite their incredible spy skills and leadership abilities, respectively, they’re just humans. That, by default, makes them the ones that the audience can easily relate to. (Oh, and Falcon too.)

And the post-credit scene makes me smile.

Moving forward, the mid-credit teaser has me all the more excited for Avengers 2: Age of Ultron. Hydra has Loki’s staff and—drumroll, please—Quicksilver and the Scarlet Witch. I can imagine that if Tony again brags that they’ve got a Hulk, any Hydra agent will just say, “We’ve got a witch.” And knowing the kind of power Wanda possesses, I have a feeling not even Hulk stands a chance.

Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 01 Apr 2014 :  07:20:45  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Winter solider has not been released in my country yet. But as soon as it is I am off to the theater , it sounds like a fun ride.
Go to Top of Page

BARDOBARBAROS
Senior Scribe

Greece
581 Posts

Posted - 01 Apr 2014 :  09:47:35  Show Profile  Visit BARDOBARBAROS's Homepage Send BARDOBARBAROS a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just saw Clash of the Titans(1981)...A great movie with D&D Style...For a 1981 movie i grade it 10/10

BARDOBARBAROS DOES NOT KILL.
HE DECAPITATES!!!

"The city changes, but the fools within it remain always the same" (Edwin Odesseiron- Baldur's gate 2)
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 02 Apr 2014 :  04:15:04  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Moving forward, the mid-credit teaser has me all the more excited for Avengers 2: Age of Ultron. Hydra has Loki’s staff and—drumroll, please—Quicksilver and the Scarlet Witch. I can imagine that if Tony again brags that they’ve got a Hulk, any Hydra agent will just say, “We’ve got a witch.” And knowing the kind of power Wanda possesses, I have a feeling not even Hulk stands a chance.

The Scarlet Witch has had a so-so history of contesting the Hulk's power.

My guess is, while Wanda will be able to hold her own against the Jade Goliath, it won't be for long. From what I've read, this interpretation of the Scarlet Witch will see her at about mid-strength with respect to her command of the Hex power. Certainly, the House of M-mental breakdown Wanda could basically "shatter" the Hulk into pieces, but I don't think we'll be seeing this version of her character just yet.

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 02 Apr 2014 :  07:15:34  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:

Spoilers: Moving forward, the mid-credit teaser has me all the more excited for Avengers 2: Age of Ultron. Hydra has Loki’s staff and—drumroll, please—Quicksilver and the Scarlet Witch. I can imagine that if Tony again brags that they’ve got a Hulk, any Hydra agent will just say, “We’ve got a witch.” And knowing the kind of power Wanda possesses, I have a feeling not even Hulk stands a chance.

The Scarlet Witch has had a so-so history of contesting the Hulk's power.

My guess is, while Wanda will be able to hold her own against the Jade Goliath, it won't be for long. From what I've read, this interpretation of the Scarlet Witch will see her at about mid-strength with respect to her command of the Hex power. Certainly, the House of M-mental breakdown Wanda could basically "shatter" the Hulk into pieces, but I don't think we'll be seeing this version of her character just yet.
Most likely. I saw some footage from the shooting of Avengers 2, and it shows Wanda fighting alongside Hawkeye. That probably means for the most part, she'd be siding with the Avegers against Ultron.

If I understand it correctly, one of the reasons they're inserting Wanda is to smoothly introduce "magic" or (given that Asgardians have their own brand of magic) emphasize it for the next film, phrase 3, which, as they've revealed, will be magic-centric and where they'll introduce Doctor Strange. And I'm guessing they'll still be utilizing Wanda in the next film, and likely, the crisis will be akin to that of House of M.

And oh, I'm also interested how exactly they're gonna explain the twin's "background." Have they already got Fox's permission to use/mention "mutant" or at least "Magneto"? Perhaps they'd explain how they got their powers the way they did Cap and Bucky's transformations into super soldiers? Hydra experiments and all that?

(Sage, you may want to retain my spoiler tag in your above quote. While many don't really consider the mid- and postcredit scenes that much of a spoiler, for some, they are.)

OMG! A friend just told me, and I Googled it just to make sure: Dr. Strange was one of Hydra's targets! How the hell did I miss that?!

Edited by - Dennis on 03 Apr 2014 06:06:32
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 04 Apr 2014 :  04:45:29  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

OMG! A friend just told me, and I Googled it just to make sure: Dr. Strange was one of Hydra's targets! How the hell did I miss that?!

That kind of makes *some* sense, I suppose, since Strange and the more occult-side of the Hydra organisation have tackled in the past. Not much, surely.

I would've thought Doctor Strange would be on SHIELD's watchlist. Now that's directly from the comic books.

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 04 Apr 2014 :  06:05:19  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Yeah, and it appears like they're setting up the stage for future stand-alone films of Doctor Strange, and (given what Natasha did at the end to expose Hydra) Black Widow too (the one where several "new" Black Widows try to kill Natasha, I heard).

There are also talks that given that they couldn't work around the mutant explanation for Quicksilver and the Scarlet Witch's characters, Marvel might tie up their powers with Loki's staff. Hmm, don't know what I'd feel if they really opt for that.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 74 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000