Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Films of Interest to Realms Fans . . .
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 74

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 06 Jan 2011 :  02:41:45  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

He played a much larger role in the first episode of the third season of the 1994 Spider-Man animated series.

Hmmm...I didn't know that at all. Just goes to say I'm not really a Spidey fan...

'Tis good that it's in YT. I'm watching it now...The comments there are crazy.

Every beginning has an end.

Edited by - Dennis on 06 Jan 2011 03:03:11
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 06 Jan 2011 :  03:20:24  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've been browsing Wikipedia and I can't believe The Sorcerer Supreme movie had been planned and cancelled so many times...In 1992, 1994, 1995, 2001, 2002, and 2005. Hopefully the most recent plan will NOT be cancelled. The following tidbit (from here) seems to erase whatever uncertainty that the movie will be made and released:

In June 2010, Marvel Studios hired Conan the Barbarian scribes Thomas Donnelly and Joshua Oppenheimer to write Dr. Strange, marking forward progress on a long-gestating superhero property which will likely be among the first Marvel films generated under the Walt Disney Pictures banner.

Edited by - Dennis on 06 Jan 2011 03:22:15
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 06 Jan 2011 :  06:20:40  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dennis

I've been browsing Wikipedia and I can't believe The Sorcerer Supreme movie had been planned and cancelled so many times...In 1992, 1994, 1995, 2001, 2002, and 2005. Hopefully the most recent plan will NOT be cancelled. The following tidbit (from here) seems to erase whatever uncertainty that the movie will be made and released:

In June 2010, Marvel Studios hired Conan the Barbarian scribes Thomas Donnelly and Joshua Oppenheimer to write Dr. Strange, marking forward progress on a long-gestating superhero property which will likely be among the first Marvel films generated under the Walt Disney Pictures banner.

Disney???

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 06 Jan 2011 :  06:49:35  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Sorcerer's Apprentice was done by Disney. It was nice and did well in the B.O. And I'm sure they could make the Sorcerer Supreme as good---or better.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 06 Jan 2011 :  07:12:13  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dalor Darden

quote:

Disney???

The Walt Disney Company bought Marvel Entertainment for $4.2bn in 2009.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 06 Jan 2011 :  07:54:11  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

Disney???

But, I mean...

Are they going to place the Disney Logo on the damnable movie? They will chase people away if they do that...I'd be willing to wager.

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 06 Jan 2011 :  08:02:54  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Disney???

But, I mean...

Are they going to place the Disney Logo on the damnable movie? They will chase people away if they do that...I'd be willing to wager.

I don't think so, as they're still characters from Marvel Entertainment. It simply means that Disney now owns the copyrights for Marvel characters like Doctor Strange, and that the end credits for the [eventual] film will likely reflect that. Kinda like what we see with the various DC live-action and animated feature films being products of DC Entertainment, Warner Bros., and Time Warner.

Edited by - The Sage on 06 Jan 2011 08:05:57
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 06 Jan 2011 :  08:07:33  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In a film, quality supersedes everything. The logo matters very little.

Go to Top of Page

Razz
Senior Scribe

USA
749 Posts

Posted - 07 Jan 2011 :  03:24:46  Show Profile Send Razz a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Personally, I believe Johnny Depp can pull off an awesome Dr. Strange.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 07 Jan 2011 :  04:26:25  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Razz

Personally, I believe Johnny Depp can pull off an awesome Dr. Strange.

Maybe during the period of his "chaotic magic" suave/sophisticate experiences, after he reclaimed the title of Sorcerer Supreme from Salome. I don't think Depp would work any other way.

Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 07 Jan 2011 :  04:31:22  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm not entirely sure Depp is appropraite, though. He's too "weird". Strange may be a sorcerer, but he was a surgeon first, and I don't think Depp could pull off that kind of role.

The Goddess is alive, and magic is afoot.

"Where Science ends, Magic begins" -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

"You idiots! You've captured their STUNT doubles!" -Spaceballs

Lothir's character background/stats: http://forum.candlekeep.com/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=5469

My stories:
http://z3.invisionfree.com/Mickeys_Comic_Tavern/index.php?showforum=188

Lothir, courtesy of Sylinde (Deviant Art)/Luaxena (Chosen of Eilistraee)
http://sylinde.deviantart.com/#/d2z6e4u
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 07 Jan 2011 :  11:44:38  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alystra Illianniis

I'm not entirely sure Depp is appropraite, though. He's too "weird". Strange may be a sorcerer, but he was a surgeon first, and I don't think Depp could pull off that kind of role.

I think he could. Remember, one of his first roles was a cop, on the TV show 21 Jump Street.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 07 Jan 2011 :  18:26:58  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Um, yeah, but he wasn't actually an "official" cop in that show- none of the young characters were. They were undercover recruits for school-age stings and such. And as good as the show was, it was a LOOONG time ago- he's gone in a totally different direction with his acting since then. More character parts than leading man material....

Lothir's character background/stats: http://forum.candlekeep.com/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=5469

My stories:

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 07 Jan 2011 :  19:56:14  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alystra Illianniis

Um, yeah, but he wasn't actually an "official" cop in that show- none of the young characters were. They were undercover recruits for school-age stings and such. And as good as the show was, it was a LOOONG time ago- he's gone in a totally different direction with his acting since then. More character parts than leading man material....

Incorrect. The characters were cops who were stuck in high schools because they looked so young.

And even though it was a long time ago, it still shows he can act the part. I don't see the other roles he's played since then keeping him from acting that role again, or any other role necessary.

Go to Top of Page

Therise
Master of Realmslore

1272 Posts

Posted - 07 Jan 2011 :  20:12:22  Show Profile Send Therise a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Johnny Depp is the hotness, but he is too skinny for Dr. Strange. There, someone had to say it.

Oded Fehr is the only choice for Stephen Strange! Woo! *faint*

And since you're talking about 21 Jump Street, Peter deLouise was TOO fine. Not that that has anything to do with anything other than 21 Jump Street, mind you. Except that he is still a fine hunk o' man.

Female, 40-year DM of a homebrew-evolved 1E Realms, including a few added tidbits of 2E and 3E lore; played originally in AD&D, then in Rolemaster. Be a DM for your kids and grandkids, gaming is excellent for families!
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 07 Jan 2011 :  20:19:21  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Therise

And since you're talking about 21 Jump Street, Peter deLouise was TOO fine. Not that that has anything to do with anything other than 21 Jump Street, mind you. Except that he is still a fine hunk o' man.

Back then, I was drooling over Holly Robinson.

Though, looking back, I can say that I see how Peter Delouise and Johnny Depp could be appealing to the females.

Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 07 Jan 2011 :  20:22:59  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wooly, I seem to remember a convo or two on the show at some point to the effect that their presence on the PD force being more of an experiment, and that they actually were pretty young to begin with, and only had authority for certain kinds of actions. Or something like that. I sort of recall them being frustrated that the were looked down on or even considered "just kids playing cops" by everyone else. Don't recall their actual status, but then again, it was a long time ago. But given the roles Depp's played since then, he just doesn't fit the part, IMO. Too off-the-wall characters, too "weird" and most especially, too young-looking. Strange has always been one of the "older" Marvel heroes, so casting someone who looks much younger just doesn't fit- even with make-up. And he's too much associated with Pirates, now- it would be distracting.

My stories:

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 08 Jan 2011 :  00:24:39  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Therise

Johnny Depp is the hotness, but he is too skinny for Dr. Strange. There, someone had to say it.
Well, Strange was fairly skinning back in the Steve Ditko days of the 60's.

My main opposition to the idea of Depp as Strange is simply that I don't believe he could convincingly portray such a character. I've been following Strange's adventures since the early 80's, and I'm well familiar with the majority of Depp's on-screen work. There just isn't enough from him, to make me think that he could handle the type of mindset necessary for playing a character like Strange. The good doctor was rarely suave and sophisticate, which is largely the extent of Depp's on-screen roles. As I see it, Depp would probably end up portraying the Master of the Mystic Arts as something less than the intensely serious life of Earth's Sorcerer Supreme versus the dangers of the multitude of horrors in dimensions beyond.

Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 08 Jan 2011 :  00:44:04  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, that was my main point, as well. He tends to be somewhat humorous in his portrayals, and Strange is a very serious character. He's also more of a "fatherly" type, and I just don't see that in Depp. I stand by my (personal) pick of Frakes. He's got the acting chops, not over-exposed, serious enough and with enough charm to pull it off, without any over-the-top acting or the distraction of tone of voice that Depp has. (Cause I swear everything he is in, he sounds like a Brit wanna-be...) I'm sure they will find someone suitable, though.

My stories:

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 08 Jan 2011 :  16:45:16  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Marvel is considering Adrian Brody for the SS role, or so the rumor says.

Go to Top of Page

Therise
Master of Realmslore

1272 Posts

Posted - 08 Jan 2011 :  17:00:19  Show Profile Send Therise a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Wow, interesting. When Adrian has a goatee he sorta-kinda fits the image of Dr. Strange, but honestly I'd prefer someone bulkier and more mysterious like Oded Fehr.

Female, 40-year DM of a homebrew-evolved 1E Realms, including a few added tidbits of 2E and 3E lore; played originally in AD&D, then in Rolemaster. Be a DM for your kids and grandkids, gaming is excellent for families!
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 08 Jan 2011 :  17:22:16  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Matt Damon DID put on weight for a certain movie (can't remember what). Adrian can do the same. There's a picture of him (in one of the fan-maintained comics sites) that was compared to Dr. Strange. The similarity is almost perfect!

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 09 Jan 2011 :  00:28:46  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I could actually see that working. He's not as high-profile actor as some of the previous rumours suggest, which means a great deal for a film like this. And he possesses both an innate charm and seriousness that could, I suppose, be employed to convincingly portray the Master of the Mystic arts of the silver screen.

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 09 Jan 2011 :  14:36:58  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My thoughts exactly. Of course, I still think Depp fits the role perfectly. However, I understand that perhpas he's too high profile for it. Adrian is famous, but not that famous.

Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 10 Jan 2011 :  00:02:16  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dennis, unless they decided to focus almost entirely on his role as a mystic and make him seem more "mysterious", (which I hope to Goddess they don't, as it would be very much AGAINST Strange's character as an ordinary surgeon thrust into a destiny beyond his imagination), Depp would just be too "out there" to play Strange well. Just because his NAME is Strange doesn't mean he IS. Depp has even said he likes to play outrageous characters or those that have peculiar traits. (Edward Scissorhands, anyone? Mad Hatter? Or worse- Willy Wonka.... *shudders* He LOVES that stuff.) That sort of thing just would not work with Steven Strange. Brody would probably be a much better choice.

My stories:

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 12 Jan 2011 :  00:52:59  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In fairness to JD, he also played "serious" roles, as in Public Enemies and most recently, The Tourist. Perhaps people simply remember him more as the funny Jack Sparrow, the crazy Edward Scissorhands, or the really mad Mad Hatter.

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 12 Jan 2011 :  00:56:00  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just an idea...

To help attract more people to this movie, perhaps Marvel/Disney could use some cameo roles by Wolverine, Spidey, Cap. America, Iron Man or any of their more celebrated/famous characters.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 12 Jan 2011 :  01:16:06  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Just an idea...

To help attract more people to this movie, perhaps Marvel/Disney could use some cameo roles by Wolverine, Spidey, Cap. America, Iron Man or any of their more celebrated/famous characters.

Wolverine is already over-saturated in the comics. To use him in another Marvel film, I think, would tend to override the purpose of that film -- in this case, being the Strange film.

'Twould be better, I believe, to work in a style similar to what they've done with the Iron Man and Hulk films being precursors to The Avengers in 2012. Have cameos from characters that have an attachment to the good Doctor's branch of the Marvel Universe. Like Spider-Man, or the Avengers. Or, heck, even the Defenders. *smirk*

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 12 Jan 2011 :  01:17:24  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

In fairness to JD, he also played "serious" roles, as in Public Enemies and most recently, The Tourist. Perhaps people simply remember him more as the funny Jack Sparrow, the crazy Edward Scissorhands, or the really mad Mad Hatter.

I still disagree. Those serious roles also tend to draw upon some of Depp's personal traits that he employs for just about every character he's played on screen. Those traits simply wouldn't work for the role of Strange.

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 12 Jan 2011 :  01:43:00  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Just an idea...

Wolverine is already over-saturated in the comics. To use him in another Marvel film, I think, would tend to override the purpose of that film -- in this case, being the Strange film.

'Twould be better, I believe, to work in a style similar to what they've done with the Iron Man and Hulk films being precursors to The Avengers in 2012. Have cameos from characters that have an attachment to the good Doctor's branch of the Marvel Universe. Like Spider-Man, or the Avengers. Or, heck, even the Defenders. *smirk*

I sort of agree on the matter about Wolverine. Perhaps some other X-Men characters, like Jean, Charles, or Erik.

As he helped Spidey in the past, more than once, AFAIR, he could do the Doctor a favor by appearing in this movie.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 74 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000