Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 The History of Tchazzar
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

MalariaMoon
Learned Scribe

324 Posts

Posted - 17 Dec 2010 :  15:57:36  Show Profile  Visit MalariaMoon's Homepage Send MalariaMoon a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hi All,
I’m launching a campaign set in Chessenta and Threskel which will eventually come to revolve around the rivalry between the red Dragon/demigod Tchazzar and the dracolich Alaskarbanbastos for control of these respective realms.
I’ve put together a rough timeline of major events in their power struggle, but I’m not sure of Tchazzar’s state or whereabouts prior to the Time of Troubles. As my campaign will begin pre-Time of Troubles it’s a grey area I want to clear up.
As I understand, Tchazzar first comes onto the scene as the war leader that unifies Chessenta some centuries ago. He takes the form a human warrior, binds the states of Chessenta into one empire and conquers Unther. After a long rule he goes off to fight the sahuagin and does not return.
Dragons of Faerun states the rivalry between Alaskarbanbastos and Tchazzar has a long history, but in sources I’ve looked at Tchazzar only really returns to the stage during the Time of Troubles, where he takes on some of Tiamat’s essence following her defeat by Gilgeam. His subsequent history is well documented, but can anyone help me understand what he was doing following his abandonment of Chessentan throne but prior to the Time of Troubles?
My current interpretation is that having conquered Chessenta he grew bored of human politics, and used his battle with the sahuagin as an opportunity to bow-out. He established a new lair in a nearby mountain range, spent a lot of time sleeping and drooling over his hoard, and occasionally squabbled with Alaskarbanbastos and his minions over territory. However, with regards to the human realms, he kept a low profile.
What do the sages think? Is there any Realmslore out there to contradict this reading of events?
Cheers

MalariaMoon
Learned Scribe

324 Posts

Posted - 17 Dec 2010 :  16:41:49  Show Profile  Visit MalariaMoon's Homepage Send MalariaMoon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Looking at some at an ancient post leaves me wondering whether I got this wrong ...
The inital battle between Gilgeam and Tiamat in which Tiamat was slain did not happen during the Time of Troubles but some centuries before, and prior to Tchazzar initial rulership of Chessenta.
Tchazzar took to the throne in order to build a following who would worship him when he ascended to godhood. Gathering a crowd of worshippers was step one, after his disappearance from Chessenta he began working on the rituals that would hasten his deification, as well as tracking down and killing the other two dragons that had absorbed Tiamat's essence after her fall. The Time of Troubles comes along and everything goes wrong, Tchazzar ends up as Tiamat reborn and takes his revenge of Gilgeam ... confusing stuff!
If that's right, when did he kill (which years) the other two bearers of Tiamat's essence?
Go to Top of Page

Knight of the Gate
Senior Scribe

USA
624 Posts

Posted - 17 Dec 2010 :  17:56:10  Show Profile Send Knight of the Gate a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Tchazzar left Chessenta not out of boredom, but to give the nascent cult in his name a chance to grow organically. He sowed the seeds of his own legend with his deeds in human form, then gave them a few centuries to incubate, with the intention of coming back when the legend had enough power to elevate him to full godhood.

How can life be so bountiful, providing such sublime rewards for mediocrity? -Umberto Ecco
Go to Top of Page

MalariaMoon
Learned Scribe

324 Posts

Posted - 18 Dec 2010 :  08:40:29  Show Profile  Visit MalariaMoon's Homepage Send MalariaMoon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks. What's the best source for Tchazzar's search for divinity? Powers and Pantheons?
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000