Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 MOVED: Banites in Mourktar?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Knight of the Gate
Senior Scribe

USA
624 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2010 :  18:52:03  Show Profile Send Knight of the Gate a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
On re-reading Faiths and Avatars, I noticed this bit under the entry for Major Centers of Worship for Bane: That the largest center for Banite power wasn't in Zhentil Keep, nor in Mintarn, but rather in Mourktar, on the plains' edge in Threskel.
The temple of the Black Lord's Cloak had (circa 1362) 'Over 700 priests of rank, over 1,000 lesser priests and a well-equipped and harshly disciplined army of loyal troops armed with many minor items of magic, and well-practiced in slaughter'. The leader of the temple, High Imperceptor Kabarrath, was able to function independent of the overall Banite power-structure, held the city of Mourktar totally in thrall,had Threskel (and its merchant fleet) under its thumb and raided various Chessentan cities basically at will for much plunder.
How have I never heard of these guys before? Were they ever mentioned again? Do we know what became of them? A search of the 'Keep just leads to a glancing reference to this item in a 5 yr old scroll.
I'd appreciate any info my fellow scribes care to share.

How can life be so bountiful, providing such sublime rewards for mediocrity? -Umberto Ecco

Larloch
Acolyte

Spain
24 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2010 :  20:29:55  Show Profile  Visit Larloch's Homepage Send Larloch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
They appear in Dragons of Faerun, if I recall correctly, concerning the politics of Unther and their paper on it.
Go to Top of Page

Icelander
Master of Realmslore

1864 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2010 :  01:03:17  Show Profile  Visit Icelander's Homepage Send Icelander a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just so.

They have a large role in the ongoing strife between the remnants of Unther and the Mulhorandi empire.

Since the Zhentarim are involved in Messemprar, one assumes that the Temple of the Black Lord's Cloak would have to come to some modus vivendi with the re-invigorated Church of Bane and, particularly, the Chosen Tyrant of Bane, Fzoul Chembryl.

I'm sure that they would be able to work it out, but I'm sure that the negotiations were touchy. Both men would perceive themselves as the highest authority and tyrant over all of Bane's worshippers and High Imperceptor Kabarrath has a good point in that he remained faithful to the Black Lord even through his demise.

Za uspiekh nashevo beznadiozhnovo diela!

Forgotten Realms fans, please sign a petition to re-release the FR Interactive Atlas
Go to Top of Page

Knight of the Gate
Senior Scribe

USA
624 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2010 :  10:29:13  Show Profile Send Knight of the Gate a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Icelander

Just so.

They have a large role in the ongoing strife between the remnants of Unther and the Mulhorandi empire.

Since the Zhentarim are involved in Messemprar, one assumes that the Temple of the Black Lord's Cloak would have to come to some modus vivendi with the re-invigorated Church of Bane and, particularly, the Chosen Tyrant of Bane, Fzoul Chembryl.

I'm sure that they would be able to work it out, but I'm sure that the negotiations were touchy. Both men would perceive themselves as the highest authority and tyrant over all of Bane's worshippers and High Imperceptor Kabarrath has a good point in that he remained faithful to the Black Lord even through his demise.

Right; he not only remained faithful he commanded a sect that was *always* cleric dominated, as opposed to the imposed magocracy dictating terms to the clergy in ZK. His was the true Church of Bane, and Pasta Fzoul was a flighty weakling compared to Kabarrath.

How can life be so bountiful, providing such sublime rewards for mediocrity? -Umberto Ecco
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2010 :  11:44:09  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like him already.
Go to Top of Page

MalariaMoon
Learned Scribe

324 Posts

Posted - 18 Dec 2010 :  08:53:41  Show Profile  Visit MalariaMoon's Homepage Send MalariaMoon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dragons of Faerum says that Mourktar pays tribute to Alaskarbanbastos and that the Great Bone Wyrm has one of his servitor dragons acting as an advisor to High Imperceptor Kabarrath (who is also the Regent of Mourktar). There is also a Cult of the Dragon cell whose clerics worship Bane. I wonder if Bane and the Bone Wyrm are cosy bedfellows, it seems that there is a rich seam of intrigue to be delved here. By the sounds of it, any do-gooder might as well drop into Mourktar, close their eyes and flail around blindly with their blade - the odds are that they'll hit a villain of some kind!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000