Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Realms Events
 Draconic surge
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 03 Feb 2004 :  13:38:45  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Think nothing of it . As I've said many times before, we can never have enough talk about Realmslore...

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Sourcemaster2
Senior Scribe

USA
361 Posts

Posted - 03 Feb 2004 :  18:37:32  Show Profile  Visit Sourcemaster2's Homepage Send Sourcemaster2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Do all kinds of dragons join in the Rage? I know that all chromatic dragons do, but what about metallic or gem dragons? Is it only true dragons, or are there also wyzerns and such?

But what have all the passing years/Done, but breed new angers, fears?/Show me now an equal worth/To innocence I earned at birth.
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 03 Feb 2004 :  20:43:23  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Good question. Is it just true dragons, or all draconic types? And if a spellcaster would shapechange into a form that gave him/her the draconic type, would (s)he be subject to the Rage?

Hell hath no fury like all of Candlekeep rising in defense of one of its own.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

Edain Shadowstar
Senior Scribe

USA
455 Posts

Posted - 04 Feb 2004 :  00:06:55  Show Profile  Visit Edain Shadowstar's Homepage Send Edain Shadowstar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If my memory serves, all kinds of True Dragon participate, pretty much without regard for inter-racial hatred. I would imagine half-dragon might feel a calling to join in the Rage, but would not be compelled to the same extent as a True Dragon. A shapechanged spellcaster would probably not be forced to participate in the Rage, since i believe that shapechange leaves your mind more or less intact. The way it is described that Rage is a sort of instinctual drive to, well, kill and destroy.

Edain Shadowstar
Archwizard of Rel Astra and Waterdeep

"Mmm…pie…"
- Gaius Solarian, Captain General

Edited by - Edain Shadowstar on 04 Feb 2004 00:07:41
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 04 Feb 2004 :  05:18:47  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, that is correct Edain. IIRC, the 2e Grand Tour of the Realms (or one of those old 2e tomes) spoke a little about the Rage, describing it as a necessary biological drive that all Dragonkind must undergo.

Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 04 Feb 2004 :  06:32:47  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmm. Perhaps I'd better plan on taking an extended vacation during this event.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

Shadowlord
Master of Realmslore

USA
1298 Posts

Posted - 04 Feb 2004 :  06:34:03  Show Profile  Visit Shadowlord's Homepage Send Shadowlord a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Quick! Get the Chains!!! STRONG DWARVEN FORGED! HURRY!!!

The Chosen of Vhaeraun
"Nature is governed by certain immutable rules. By virtue of claw and fang, the lion will always triumph over the goat.Given time, the pounding of the sea will wear away the stone. And when dark elves mingle with the lighter races, the offspring invariably take after the dark parent. It is all much the same. That which is greater shall prevail. Our numbers increase steadily, both through birth and conquest. The dark elves are the dominant race, so ordained by the gods." Ka'Narlist of the Ilythiiri.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 05 Feb 2004 :  09:46:19  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bookwyrm

Hmm. Perhaps I'd better plan on taking an extended vacation during this event.

Not too long though, because I have several 'events' planned which may interest you...

Go to Top of Page

Cyric
Senior Scribe

Norway
388 Posts

Posted - 06 Feb 2004 :  13:38:24  Show Profile  Visit Cyric's Homepage Send Cyric a Private Message  Reply with Quote
what events killing a whole lot of people in the name of Cyric or claiming this keep in his name.
Or somthing els
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 06 Feb 2004 :  17:32:03  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think we can safely say it isn't that, Cyric.

Go to Top of Page

Sourcemaster2
Senior Scribe

USA
361 Posts

Posted - 07 Feb 2004 :  03:53:08  Show Profile  Visit Sourcemaster2's Homepage Send Sourcemaster2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Is there any discernable pattern to the surges? If not, can anyone give me the dates of the known ones?

But what have all the passing years/Done, but breed new angers, fears?/Show me now an equal worth/To innocence I earned at birth.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 07 Feb 2004 :  09:10:00  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There's really not a lot of source material on the Rage to work with, however it seems to be a (sort-of) random biological/instinctual urging that effects all of Dragonkind at different periods throughout history. I'll dig through some of the tomes I have in search of more information.

Go to Top of Page

Tyros
Acolyte

12 Posts

Posted - 02 Apr 2004 :  22:25:59  Show Profile  Visit Tyros's Homepage Send Tyros a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hail!

The only reference to a rage of dragons tha tI have come across involved an internal conflict withn the CotD in the year 1018 DR which destroyed a place called Peleveran.

Then of course there was the flight of dragons in 1356 DR.

The difference between a "rage" of dragons and a "flight" is supposed to be size; a rage of dragons is supposed to be bigger. Of course, the only "rage" that I have found reference to was brought instigated by the Cult of the Dragon. If a "flight" is a biological instinct, then this might be another difference between a rage and a flight. Or perhaps the claims of the CotD are true and they were responsibile for the flight of 1356 as well?

Are there any mention of flights or rages prior to the birth of the CotD, but well after the age of dragons?

And what of the prophecy that the CotD was built upon? Either version.

Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 02 Apr 2004 :  23:49:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you've got a copy, there's a rage in Evermeet: Island of Elves.
Go to Top of Page

Sourcemaster2
Senior Scribe

USA
361 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2004 :  23:40:20  Show Profile  Visit Sourcemaster2's Homepage Send Sourcemaster2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I wonder if there is some outside influence provoking the rages. It would be strange if such chaos was caused by some draconic deity, or an anti-draconic god, who's out to destroy dragonkind.

Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 06 Apr 2004 :  02:42:03  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sourcemaster2

I wonder if there is some outside influence provoking the rages. It would be strange if such chaos was caused by some draconic deity, or an anti-draconic god, who's out to destroy dragonkind.

Pick up a copy of Richard Lee Byer's The Rage. The novel's conclusion provides some insight as to what might cause the rages.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000