Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 The Candlekeep Web Site
 Site Content
 Candlekeep - server problems
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 12

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31684 Posts

Posted - 15 Apr 2012 :  01:48:26  Show Profile  Send The Sage an AOL message  Click to see The Sage's MSN Messenger address  Send The Sage a Yahoo! Message Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dennis

Maybe. Though I never encountered the ASP error in all the other sites I visited, including a number of forums. Not in a very long while, that is.

It's been quite some time since I last encountered any scripting errors here at Candlekeep. And that's even including when I've used the error-riddled SageBrowser to peruse the site.

Always things considered, the site and the server have been running smoothly for me.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
29648 Posts

Posted - 15 Apr 2012 :  03:42:17  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:

Maybe. Though I never encountered the ASP error in all the other sites I visited, including a number of forums. Not in a very long while, that is.

It's been quite some time since I last encountered any scripting errors here at Candlekeep. And that's even including when I've used the error-riddled SageBrowser to peruse the site.

Always things considered, the site and the server have been running smoothly for me.

And considering that he's the Keeper of the Gremlins, that's saying something!

Editor and scribe for The Candlekeep Compendium

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 15 Apr 2012 :  04:02:14  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Didn't he pass that job to his daughter?

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31684 Posts

Posted - 15 Apr 2012 :  06:42:01  Show Profile  Send The Sage an AOL message  Click to see The Sage's MSN Messenger address  Send The Sage a Yahoo! Message Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:

And considering that he's the Keeper of the Gremlins, that's saying something!

Maybe that should become an official Candlekeep rank -- Keeper of the Gremlins, kinda like Keeper of the Scrolls, eh?

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31684 Posts

Posted - 15 Apr 2012 :  06:43:59  Show Profile  Send The Sage an AOL message  Click to see The Sage's MSN Messenger address  Send The Sage a Yahoo! Message Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Didn't he pass that job to his daughter?

Indeed, I did.

Narnra now stands as the official Keeper of the Gremlins, and that's a testament of her computer skills in and of themselves, because she's already showing an uncanny ability to fathom the myriad pathways of SageOS.

Go to Top of Page

BEAST
Master of Realmslore

USA
1714 Posts

Posted - 15 Apr 2012 :  06:55:38  Show Profile  Visit BEAST's Homepage Send BEAST a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You're not the only one, Dennis. The 'Keep froze on me twice today when trying to load the "Active Topics" page, and twice when attempting to post messages. I actually went back and deleted some multiple posts which appeared during one such time-out.

It's Lolth and this infernal "Rise of the Drow" nonsense, I tell ya. Chaos is afoot!

"'You don't know my history,' he said dryly."
--Drizzt Do'Urden (The Pirate King, Part 1: Chapter 2)

<"Comprehensive Chronology of R.A. Salvatore Forgotten Realms Works">

Edited by - BEAST on 15 Apr 2012 06:56:08
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
29648 Posts

Posted - 15 Apr 2012 :  16:30:49  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BEAST

You're not the only one, Dennis. The 'Keep froze on me twice today when trying to load the "Active Topics" page, and twice when attempting to post messages. I actually went back and deleted some multiple posts which appeared during one such time-out.

It's Lolth and this infernal "Rise of the Drow" nonsense, I tell ya. Chaos is afoot!

She is about spiders, who spin webs -- and this is the World Wide Web... Hmmm...

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 09 Jun 2012 :  04:11:22  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

I could not access the forums two days ago... What happened? Was it just I or did it happen to some as well?

Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
2859 Posts

Posted - 09 Jun 2012 :  06:27:58  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I had the same problem...

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
3338 Posts

Posted - 09 Jun 2012 :  06:33:06  Show Profile  Visit Dalor Darden's Homepage Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It was an ISP problem I'm told.

Visit my Blog Page to find things for YOUR Forgotten Realms!
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
6139 Posts

Posted - 09 Jun 2012 :  07:13:15  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The error message was definitely generated server-side.

Eat lots of garlic - it keeps the elves and vampires away.
Don't stick your sword into dragons, you just don't know where they've been.
Avoid stepping on halflings. They stick to your boots, will smell awful, and are impossible to scrape off.
Ah, of course. Never play leapfrog with a unicorn.
[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
2877 Posts

Posted - 09 Jun 2012 :  22:13:55  Show Profile  Send Lord Karsus an AOL message Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-The error message said something along the lines of "All server connections are taking too long to establish and/or there were too many people requesting the same page". A HTTP 408 or 409 error.

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerūn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerūn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
3338 Posts

Posted - 10 Jun 2012 :  00:03:42  Show Profile  Visit Dalor Darden's Homepage Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I got this:

Microsoft OLE DB Provider for ODBC Drivers error '80004005'

[MySQL][ODBC 3.51 Driver]User candlekeep already has more than 'max_user_connections' active connections

/inc_header.asp, line 134

Go to Top of Page

Matt James
Forgotten Realms Game Designer

USA
908 Posts

Posted - 10 Jun 2012 :  00:52:32  Show Profile  Visit Matt James's Homepage Send Matt James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ask Alaundo if I can assist in getting the site moved to a more friendly server. I have a really good friend that runs Penandpapergames.com. Also on the server are sites such as Loremaster.org and even Koboldquarterly.com. I can get a great price and the site would be more stable.

That being said, CK runs off of ASP, which can be a nightmare. PHP is so much more friendly to work with.
Go to Top of Page

BEAST
Master of Realmslore

USA
1714 Posts

Posted - 10 Jun 2012 :  04:25:28  Show Profile  Visit BEAST's Homepage Send BEAST a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dalor Darden

I got this:

[MySQL][ODBC 3.51 Driver]User candlekeep already has more than 'max_user_connections' active connections

Or, as I like to call it, the "NO ROOM AT THE INN" error.

At first I was a little ticked. I was jonesing for some Candlekeep!

But then I figured that I already spend too much time around here anyway, so it's probably for the best. If I can't demonstrate the personal discipline to refrain from checking in so often, then bring on the gremlins!

"'You don't know my history,' he said dryly."
--Drizzt Do'Urden (The Pirate King, Part 1: Chapter 2)

<"Comprehensive Chronology of R.A. Salvatore Forgotten Realms Works">
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
3338 Posts

Posted - 10 Jun 2012 :  04:42:26  Show Profile  Visit Dalor Darden's Homepage Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BEAST

quote:
Originally posted by Dalor Darden

I got this:

Or, as I like to call it, the "NO ROOM AT THE INN" error.

At first I was a little ticked. I was jonesing for some Candlekeep!

But then I figured that I already spend too much time around here anyway, so it's probably for the best. If I can't demonstrate the personal discipline to refrain from checking in so often, then bring on the gremlins!

LOL...well, I'm here all the time. I rarely sleep anymore. I'm literally up at various times all through the entire 24 hour day. Last few have been rough with the pneumonia; but I'm starting to get better.

I just like coming here to Candlekeep more than anywhere else on the internet. It could take a number of years to absorb all the information here.

I'll probably be able to get back to The Five Shires conversion on Monday after I'm pretty much cleared up (as an estimate on time...)

What confused me was that there was "no room" but I think it had to do with traffic to another site hosted by the same folks that host Candlekeep.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31684 Posts

Posted - 10 Jun 2012 :  05:12:50  Show Profile  Send The Sage an AOL message  Click to see The Sage's MSN Messenger address  Send The Sage a Yahoo! Message Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Matt James

Ask Alaundo if I can assist in getting the site moved to a more friendly server. I have a really good friend that runs Penandpapergames.com. Also on the server are sites such as Loremaster.org and even Koboldquarterly.com. I can get a great price and the site would be more stable.

That being said, CK runs off of ASP, which can be a nightmare. PHP is so much more friendly to work with.

I like PHP too, but it can be plagued by just as many server-headaches and interrupts as ASP. I know from my own experiences when chatting with the admin-folk on the BATTLETECH boards, that PHP can be a very temperamental forum architecture when impacted by outside linkage problems.

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2012 :  20:40:30  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Is it just I or CK is really slow in loading today? It takes ten to fifty seconds before a single page loads. I'm logged on on some other forum, and I don't experience it there.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
29648 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2012 :  21:43:39  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Is it just I or CK is really slow in loading today? It takes ten to fifty seconds before a single page loads. I'm logged on on some other forum, and I don't experience it there.

I had an issue, a few minutes ago, but I assumed it was due to Websense being turned back on, at work.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31684 Posts

Posted - 02 Aug 2012 :  02:10:33  Show Profile  Send The Sage an AOL message  Click to see The Sage's MSN Messenger address  Send The Sage a Yahoo! Message Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

I had an issue, a few minutes ago, but I assumed it was due to Websense being turned back on, at work.

I've yet to encounter any problems, but given that I have "ripped the guts" out of several routines for SageBrowser, I expect I'll be having problems accessing the site soon enough.

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 12 Sep 2012 :  15:19:19  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

The site's been really slow within the last hour.

Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4266 Posts

Posted - 12 Sep 2012 :  15:56:47  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

The site's been really slow within the last hour.

I suspect is your provider or the routers in between you and candlekeep.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

Thieran
Learned Scribe

Germany
292 Posts

Posted - 12 Sep 2012 :  16:05:36  Show Profile Send Thieran a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That seems likely.
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 12 Sep 2012 :  16:42:49  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Other sites are loading quite fast, only CK I'm having problem with. I also have another forums open, and it's fine.

Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4266 Posts

Posted - 12 Sep 2012 :  16:50:47  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Other sites are loading quite fast, only CK I'm having problem with. I also have another forums open, and it's fine.

A few days ago, I could not load two of four sites, this likely was router. Servers between me and candlekeep host. Again only best guess based on what you offer.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 12 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2017 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000