Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 The Candlekeep Web Site
 Site Content
 Candlekeep - server problems
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 10

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 22 Jan 2013 :  02:56:50  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ayrik

You must realize that I sometimes don't understand half of what you're saying without recourse to wikipedia, Sage? I think I'm the only nerd in the world who disdains comic books and supermutants.

Sorry. I should've made that connection clearer.

And you need not fret over my sometimes awkward ramblings, Ayrik. Just think of me as the absent-minded sage nattering to himself over and over about his endless quests to make the wider world more aware of interesting little comic book tidbits and how they should relate to the real world... while the rest of you go about your collective business.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7969 Posts

Posted - 22 Jan 2013 :  03:09:36  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Although, now that I understand what Anti-Monitor is ... I was thinking more in terms of Anti-Alaundo having a neatly-trimmed goatee. Oh no wait, that wouldn't work he's already got a beard. Nevermind, back to my collective business.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 24 Apr 2013 :  16:23:36  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The site is slow as hell for me today - I haven't had problems with it in awhile, so I am surprised by how bad it is.

Also, I get an error message when I get a PM pop-up... apparently the java-sript (or whatever) on the site hasn't been updated since the stoneage - I am surprised it is still working at all. This problem has been around for a couple of years now... I just never mentioned it before (because its a truly minor point).

Eventually I think we'll have to view Candlekeep on old GUI's or older versions of browsers, unless we finally get CK2.0. Much like its in-game namesake, we are being 'set adrift' from the greater continent that is the internet.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 24 Apr 2013 :  17:47:54  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ironically, I got a timeout error loading this page.

Using Chrome, on my new work computer. Officially we can't use Chrome -- the company officially uses IE, with Firefox approved upon request. But we have a very small group of people that have to use Chrome for a particular application, so we were okayed to install it for support purposes. Which works for me, as it is becoming my browser of choice.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 24 Apr 2013 :  18:08:17  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I still haven't tried Chrome. I used Netscape Navigator back in the day, and then went with Firefox when that came around. I can't ever remember using Explorer, except maybe at the very beginning (did Windows 3.0 even have Explorer? I don't think so...)

Anyhow, it appears to be a little better now then before. I got this new 'process' called stij.exe running on my machine the past few days, and I can't seem to gt rid of it. It's supposedly part of the Incredibar/Incredimail family of apps, but I don't use those, so I don't know how or why this thing was installed. Its infuriating. Thus far, no anti-malware/antivirus identifies it as malicious, so I guess I'm stuck with it. I'd just like to know how it snuck in on me - I'm pretty damn careful.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 24 Apr 2013 18:08:53
Go to Top of Page

BEAST
Master of Realmslore

USA
1714 Posts

Posted - 24 Apr 2013 :  18:30:34  Show Profile  Visit BEAST's Homepage Send BEAST a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

I got this new 'process' called stij.exe running on my machine the past few days, and I can't seem to gt rid of it. It's supposedly part of the Incredibar/Incredimail family of apps, but I don't use those, so I don't know how or why this thing was installed. Its infuriating. Thus far, no anti-malware/antivirus identifies it as malicious, so I guess I'm stuck with it. I'd just like to know how it snuck in on me - I'm pretty damn careful.

Can you go uninstall ALL that "Incredi-" stuff?

"'You don't know my history,' he said dryly."
--Drizzt Do'Urden (The Pirate King, Part 1: Chapter 2)

<"Comprehensive Chronology of R.A. Salvatore Forgotten Realms Works">
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 24 Apr 2013 :  19:35:18  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BEAST

quote:

I got this new 'process' called stij.exe running on my machine the past few days, and I can't seem to gt rid of it. It's supposedly part of the Incredibar/Incredimail family of apps, but I don't use those, so I don't know how or why this thing was installed. Its infuriating. Thus far, no anti-malware/antivirus identifies it as malicious, so I guess I'm stuck with it. I'd just like to know how it snuck in on me - I'm pretty damn careful.

That's what I'd do. Also keep in mind that some malware is sneaky and masquerades as a legitimate process; I once caught a malware disguised as svchost.exe. I only saw it because I was using Process Explorer and noticed that process didn't have the same info as the other svchost entries.

You may also need to go into Safe Mode to get rid of it. Some of the trickier malware requires that.

Also keep in mind most anti-virus programs won't catch some malware, particularly adware or scareware. Something like Malwarebytes, Ad-Aware, or Spybot S&D will help greatly.

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 24 Apr 2013 19:36:42
Go to Top of Page

Ze
Learned Scribe

Italy
147 Posts

Posted - 24 Apr 2013 :  20:25:07  Show Profile Send Ze a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert
Officially we can't use Chrome -- the company officially uses IE, with Firefox approved upon request. But we have a very small group of people that have to use Chrome for a particular application, so we were okayed to install it for support purposes. Which works for me, as it is becoming my browser of choice.

Same here, and I wasn't okayed, so I use ChromePortable.
Just wanted to share that it's an option, in case anyone suffers the same limitation.
And btw, for what it's worth I've never had any timeout error, either with Chrome (on Win7) or with Safari for iPad, so I don't think it's the browser.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 24 Apr 2013 :  22:57:20  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ze

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert
Officially we can't use Chrome -- the company officially uses IE, with Firefox approved upon request. But we have a very small group of people that have to use Chrome for a particular application, so we were okayed to install it for support purposes. Which works for me, as it is becoming my browser of choice.

Same here, and I wasn't okayed, so I use ChromePortable.
Just wanted to share that it's an option, in case anyone suffers the same limitation.
And btw, for what it's worth I've never had any timeout error, either with Chrome (on Win7) or with Safari for iPad, so I don't think it's the browser.

I've got a couple thumb drives handy with the portable versions of Chrome and Firefox... One of those thumb drives resides semi-permanently in my work computer, with a good chunk of all my RPG pdfs on it. I just never bothered with them, because I could use IE to access the Candlekeep.

I do occasionally use the portable version of Firefox when troubleshooting issues on someone's computer. It's a great way to rule out problems with IE or with Websense.

Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 25 Apr 2013 :  01:01:52  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BEAST

quote:

A long while back - at least a year, probably way more - some of that got installed with something... most likely an update to Firefox, or one of my anti-virus apps (why THOSE install malware I'll never figure out). It may have even been an Adobe or Java update... I forget. If you don't click the "Do NOT Install" button, it goes on automatically.

So after it got accidentally installed, I uninstalled it, and as I recall the damn thing made me jump through hoops (the vestiges that were left kept trying to 'repair' the rest, and kept re-downloading and reinstalling) just to get rid of it for good. For a supposedly 'helpful' app, it has some of the most serious virus-like activity I've ever seen.

ANYHOW... I thought I got rid of it for good... guess some small bit of it must have been hidden somewhere, and now its up to its old tricks. Its only a matter of time before it re-installs its completely pointless 'toolbar' (will someone please explain to me the reason for those?), and hijacks my homepage again. Since this new file is relatively new, I haven't seen any "How to get rid of..." type walk-throughs for it yet, and Malwarebytes doesn't seem to mind it, unfortunately. I haven't tried Combofix yet; thats usually a last resort (since it hacks your registry... no fun when that goes bad).

So how does all this relate to this website? Because the site has been running slow as heck for me, and I'm not sure if its the site itself, or my computer is misbehaving, so I was hoping for some feedback from others.

Edited by - Markustay on 25 Apr 2013 01:06:15
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 25 Apr 2013 :  04:36:28  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

So how does all this relate to this website? Because the site has been running slow as heck for me, and I'm not sure if its the site itself, or my computer is misbehaving, so I was hoping for some feedback from others.

I've experienced some slowness of late, but its been intermittent and mostly normal.

Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 23 May 2013 :  19:27:13  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Is it the time of year for the loosing of the gremlins? I was trying to send a PM to THO and keep getting an not loading error upon clicking "SEND." In addition, when I tried to view my PM box I got the same error. And finally, when trying to load this specific forum to post about it, same error.

Errant d20 Designer - My Blog (last updated January 06, 2016)

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back. --Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Reference Document (PFRPG OGL Rules)
* The Hypertext d20 SRD (3.5 OGL Rules)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Heroes of the Jade Oath (PFRPG, conversion; Rite Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Martial Arts Guidebook (forthcoming) (PFRPG, designer; Rite Publishing)
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 25 May 2013 :  00:19:45  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Microsoft OLE DB Provider for ODBC Drivers error '80004005'
[MySQL][ODBC 3.51 Driver]Can't connect to MySQL server on 'mysql8.streamline.net' (10060)
/inc_header.asp, line 134

Provider error '80004005'
Unspecified error
/inc_header.asp, line 134

Down time was about an hour or so. Nice to see it back.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 25 May 2013 :  00:23:32  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
<knocks on wood>
No loading issues for me recently.

Look for me and my content at EN World (user name: sanishiver).
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 25 May 2013 :  03:10:47  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hawkins

Is it the time of year for the loosing of the gremlins? I was trying to send a PM to THO and keep getting an not loading error upon clicking "SEND." In addition, when I tried to view my PM box I got the same error. And finally, when trying to load this specific forum to post about it, same error.

Are you still having this problem occur, Hawkins?

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 05 Jun 2013 :  16:23:52  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

The site is really slow today. Anyone else experiencing the same?

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 05 Jun 2013 :  19:40:41  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dennis

The site is really slow today. Anyone else experiencing the same?

Not at the moment. It's been more responsive today than on some recent days.

Go to Top of Page

Ze
Learned Scribe

Italy
147 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2013 :  07:35:37  Show Profile Send Ze a Private Message  Reply with Quote
i've been having *lots* of time out issues in the last couple of days.

hardly ever had them previously, and my internet connection is fine.

Was it just me?
Go to Top of Page

Demzer
Senior Scribe

873 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2013 :  13:22:35  Show Profile Send Demzer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ze

i've been having *lots* of time out issues in the last couple of days.

hardly ever had them previously, and my internet connection is fine.

Was it just me?

Same.

Since yesterday i'm having a lot of this:

Active Server Pages error 'ASP 0113'

Script timed out

/topic.asp

The maximum amount of time for a script to execute was exceeded. You can change this limit by specifying a new value for the property Server.ScriptTimeout or by changing the value in the IIS administration tools.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2013 :  18:21:58  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's been really bad the last couple of days... I've had times I've had to refresh a page a dozen times to get the thread to fully load.

Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6646 Posts

Posted - 28 Jul 2013 :  00:06:12  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Seems fixed now. Well done Alaundo.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

silverwolfer
Senior Scribe

789 Posts

Posted - 28 Jul 2013 :  00:51:48  Show Profile Send silverwolfer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This seems to be a regional issue, not just one bit, are the servers along the west coast usa?
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 28 Jul 2013 :  03:37:52  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Strangely enough, I was actually "feeding" some old virtual gremlins last night. But it was on an old laptop with no internet access.

Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 28 Jul 2013 :  17:59:51  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

I thought it had gone away. But then a couple of days after I had thought I had successfully sent it I checked and it was not in my outbox. Unfortunately, I have forgotten what I was trying to ask.

Errant d20 Designer - My Blog (last updated January 06, 2016)

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back. --Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Reference Document (PFRPG OGL Rules)
* The Hypertext d20 SRD (3.5 OGL Rules)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Heroes of the Jade Oath (PFRPG, conversion; Rite Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Martial Arts Guidebook (forthcoming) (PFRPG, designer; Rite Publishing)
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 29 Jul 2013 :  03:25:24  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hawkins

quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

I thought it had gone away. But then a couple of days after I had thought I had successfully sent it I checked and it was not in my outbox. Unfortunately, I have forgotten what I was trying to ask.

Fair enough. I'll keep an eye on this, regardless, just to be sure.

Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 29 Jul 2013 :  20:36:09  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well met

Aye, there were some issues on the server over the past few days. Apologies for the outtage ::gives archaic server a firm kick::

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 29 Jul 2013 :  21:10:59  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Begs for some kind soul to offer free hosting on far better server.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 03 Aug 2013 :  21:38:59  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kentinal

Well met

Aye, ironically the Candlekeep server cost isn't cheap and disappointing that the stability is quite poor and inadequate The host obviously don't expect so many active scribes working on Realmslore at any one time

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

angerZen
Acolyte

USA
24 Posts

Posted - 21 Aug 2013 :  22:53:25  Show Profile Send angerZen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kentinal

Actually, I might be of service in that area (as well as others). I have solid hosting that I was actually thinking of getting rid of, since I barely use it. I might be persuaded to host Candlekeep. I'd just need to see some storage and bandwidth numbers. I'd, of course, give access to the server, database, and anything else for those that needed it.

I'd also offer my services to maybe make the changeover to a different forum software, and perhaps an actual CMS system if you guys were so inclined.

Feel free to PM me. I'd be more than happy to help if I can.

PS - If it did not come across in my post. This would be at no cost to anyone. I already pay for the hosting, I might as well put it to use.

-Travis

Edited by - angerZen on 22 Aug 2013 19:07:54
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 22 Aug 2013 :  19:25:53  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This is a generous offer, I do hope Big Al and you can work out something.
I do have a minor project that could used improved hosting. As it is not candlekeep related I will send a PM and see if you are interested in helping or hosting.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 10 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000