Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Tempus in Unther
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Kilvan
Senior Scribe

Canada
894 Posts

Posted - 14 Nov 2010 :  19:05:49  Show Profile Send Kilvan a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hello

According to the 3.5 FRCS, Unther's religions include Tempus, mainly revered by Chessentan mercenaries. I'm looking for some info concerning that.

Who are they fighting (and is it only for the money)?
Since when are they there (pre-ToT)?
What was the relationship between Gilgeam and Tempus?
Where can they be found now?

My first idea, and correct me if I'm wrong, is that Tempus' followers saw Gilgeam as a threat (or a worthy rival) before his fall during the ToT. The two gods waged war for many years, and now that Gilgeam has fallen, they wish to continue to participate in the ongoing war, for the right price. I don't know who they are more likely to back up, as in, for or against Mulhorandi's invasion.

Thanks!

Quale
Master of Realmslore

1757 Posts

Posted - 14 Nov 2010 :  21:45:55  Show Profile Send Quale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The mercenaries are employed by the farm owners, to protect them against bandits

also Tempus is popular among the bandits of Furifax

Gilgeam used to fight in the arena, the gladiators facing him would seek the help of Tempus

after the fall of Gilgeam, they'd continue to fight against the invaders, they don't want another tyranny

and Messemprar would employ a lot of Chessentan mercenaries for the war
Go to Top of Page

Ralderick Hallowshaw
Acolyte

Italy
36 Posts

Posted - 15 Nov 2010 :  13:32:29  Show Profile  Visit Ralderick Hallowshaw's Homepage Send Ralderick Hallowshaw a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I only add a couple of thoughts to the concise and complete Quale's answer.

Like you said, Chessentan are mercenaries, so I think they can be engaged by both Unther's defenders or invaders, with the majority of them paid to fight against Mulhorand (as written in FRCS).
Furthermore, according to Brian Cortijo's article "War upon the sands" (on Dragon Magazine), chessentans are concerned by themselves with the conquest of Unther, since Northern Wizards who control Messemprar see them ad a threat from west.
So I figure chessentan mercenaries scattered between the different factions (Unther & Mulhorand), but also interested in a direct conquest of the country (maybe connected to Tchazzar's return).

"Adventurers are best used to slay monsters. Sooner or later, they become your worst monsters, and you have to hire new ones to do the obvious thing" - Ralderick Hallowshaw, Jester - from To Rule A Realm, From Turret To Midden, published circa The Year of the Bloodbird

And forgive me for my bad use of English language!
Go to Top of Page

Kilvan
Senior Scribe

Canada
894 Posts

Posted - 15 Nov 2010 :  14:22:24  Show Profile Send Kilvan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks to you both for the input, it helps me put things together for my next game.
Go to Top of Page

Bladewind
Master of Realmslore

Netherlands
1280 Posts

Posted - 15 Nov 2010 :  15:42:44  Show Profile Send Bladewind a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I ran a year long campaign in Cimbar, Chessenta and the surrounding Old Empires and made extensive use of the 2nd ed tome of the same name. Its an awfully wartorn area, where each city state is in a constant political, economic and philisophical war with its neighbours, and alliances can shift in a drop of a hat. Great place for tactician, combat medic and mercanary followers of Tempus. The mulhorandi conquest of Unther brought lots of unrest to the region, and Tempus' followers would likely have had their hands full with all the skirmishes taking place.

The largest Temple to Tempus in the vicinity of Unther would be in Chessenta's capital Cimbar, and is called "The Sword Vault", a home to lots of powerful sets of battle worn magic armours, blades, spears and siege weapons.

Notice that Banes largest temple in all of Fearun is not that far aswell, "The Black Lords Cloak" in Mourktar, and would form one of the main concerns of any tempuran clergymen active in the Old Empires.

My campaign sketches

Druidic Groves

Creature Feature: Giant Spiders
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000