Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Meeting
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Bayne
Seeker

USA
86 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2003 :  20:55:50  Show Profile  Visit Bayne's Homepage Send Bayne a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rad

quote:
Originally posted by Bayne

I should take offense to that, being a martial artist, but I won't...
But I will make a note of this opinion, and try not to talk about martial arts that much in the future, seeing as how it is received here.

Nah dont take offense Bayne, im a martial artist too but im sure Sage meant nothing of it 'cos if he did ill have to run him thru with my samaurai sword

Heh, ok ill show mine if you show yours...
i took chungdokwan, tai chi, muy thai, capoeira, combat class, and almost took weapons class, but didnt have money to buy all the weapons...

Nindyn vel'uss kyorl nind ratha thalra elyhinn dal lil alust
Go to Top of Page

kahonen
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
358 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2003 :  21:03:35  Show Profile  Visit kahonen's Homepage Send kahonen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rad

Nah dont take offense Bayne, im a martial artist too but im sure Sage meant nothing of it 'cos if he did ill have to run him thru with my samaurai sword

What's this Rad. Martial Arts? Any other hidden talents we should know about?
Go to Top of Page

kahonen
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
358 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2003 :  21:08:56  Show Profile  Visit kahonen's Homepage Send kahonen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Heh, ok ill show mine if you show yours...
i took chungdokwan, tai chi, muy thai, capoeira, combat class, and almost took weapons class, but didnt have money to buy all the weapons...

Apart from Judo (BJA 1st Kyu, Coach and Referee), I was a National champion at Origami. At one time I held the world record for Folded Swan
Go to Top of Page

William of Waterdeep
Senior Scribe

USA
829 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2003 :  21:13:31  Show Profile  Visit William of Waterdeep's Homepage Send William of Waterdeep a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kahonen

quote:
Originally posted by Rad

Rad is also a 007 spy in her Majesty's Secret Service...Tell,no one.

Courage isn't the lack of fear but rather believing in and doing what you know is right even though fear is present.

Go to Top of Page

Bayne
Seeker

USA
86 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2003 :  21:52:13  Show Profile  Visit Bayne's Homepage Send Bayne a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by William of Waterdeep

quote:
Originally posted by kahonen

quote:
Originally posted by Rad

Rad is also a 007 spy in her Majesty's Secret Service...Tell,no one.

Heh! yes and im a member of the crescent moon ninjas

Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2003 :  23:20:59  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
hehehe

Im afraid i will have to kill you for mentioning that, William

To answer your question Bayne\kahonen: I practice Bushido - the ancient samuarai martial art. As well as karate and aikido styles it also involves sword, bokan and nunchaku. The acadamy at which I belong is quite strict on the Japanese way as the actual origins of the school itself were brought over by the current master from Japan where he was trained by his master. We have numerous items dating from centuries ago within the academy from when it was first formed. Anyway, Im waffling

Oh and kahonen, you dark horse......if you start making origami red dragons, im runnin'!!!

Lord Rad

"What? No, I wasn't reading your module. I was just looking at the pictures"

Edited by - Lord Rad on 04 Nov 2003 23:25:51
Go to Top of Page

Bayne
Seeker

USA
86 Posts

Posted - 05 Nov 2003 :  00:06:20  Show Profile  Visit Bayne's Homepage Send Bayne a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rad

hehehe

To answer your question Bayne\kahonen: I practice Bushido - the ancient samuarai martial art. As well as karate and aikido styles it also involves sword, bokan and nunchaku. The acadamy at which I belong is quite strict on the Japanese way as the actual origins of the school itself were brought over by the current master from Japan where he was trained by his master. We have numerous items dating from centuries ago within the academy from when it was first formed. Anyway, Im waffling

Oh and kahonen, you dark horse......if you start making origami red dragons, im runnin'!!!

Karate is like the exact opposite of bushido, because bushido (the way of the warrior) was designed for the samurai, and it deals with blade-wielding, where as karate (openhand) deals with well...unarmed strikes, generally...

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 05 Nov 2003 :  01:36:42  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Bayne said -
quote:
I should take offense to that, being a martial artist, but I won't...
But I will make a note of this opinion, and try not to talk about martial arts that much in the future, seeing as how it is received here.

Firstly, I would like to welcome you here to Candlekeep, scribe Bayne . Secondly, I would like to apologise for any offense you may have taken either directly or indirectly with what I had said previously about the Martial Arts.

I was once involved in the martial arts practice several years ago, but financial difficulties at the time, prevented me from continuing my studies. I therefore had to leave the school (something I deeply regretted at the time), and pursue other less-expensive (at least here in this country) interests.

My opinion on the matter was obviously the result of what limited exposure I had to this exercise...had I had the opportunity to pursue my studies further, my opinion would no doubt be very different from what it is today.

Please, do not allow my limited opinion on the subject of the Martial Arts to colour your perception of the general opinion and/or feeling my fellow scribes here at Candlekeep may have about the Martial Arts.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

William of Waterdeep
Senior Scribe

USA
829 Posts

Posted - 05 Nov 2003 :  04:47:25  Show Profile  Visit William of Waterdeep's Homepage Send William of Waterdeep a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Rad said-
Quote:
hehehe

Er,I think I hear somebody calling me,bye now.

Bayne,
I studied mostly Chinese styles,Northern Shaolin and Chinese Hawaiian Kenpo which was were Kenpo Karate came from.I tried some of the Karate studios after my training center was closed but It was not what I was used too since they used only light or no contact and It was geared towards sport instead of self-defence,The Chinese arts teach more circular attacks and blocks so I would have had to relearn
years of training that had become part of my style so I left the Martial Art world other than Practice of some of the exercises.I don't even remember all of the forms anymore.

Courage isn't the lack of fear but rather believing in and doing what you know is right even though fear is present.

Go to Top of Page

Cult_Leader
Learned Scribe

USA
337 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2003 :  13:27:54  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Leader's Homepage Send Cult_Leader a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would -NOT- do that. Well .... Maybe. If you have one of them cool car battery powered ones that go fast and you have to control them with that little joy stick thinggy on it's arm. That would be kinda fun....

Anyway heh. If she lets me, I could help Lina get to an earlier one. I have offered before. The offer is still up.

"Madness you say! Do you fear me? Are you afraid of what I might do, of what I might say? What a fascinating reaction. Don't you find it somewhat encumbering?"

Piddles assumes a deep and resonant voice. "Space...the Final Frontier. These are the voyages of the starship...Garou. It's mission: to slay Wyrm creatures where they live and breed. To accumulate more Garou than the world's entire population. To produce metis like no one has before." - Piddles

"Aren't you people supposed to be doing something? Like, entertaining me, the fascist wizard?" - InleRah

I have the passwords to the minds of everyone and the cheat codes to the universe - Me
Go to Top of Page

eilinel
Learned Scribe

France
296 Posts

Posted - 07 Nov 2003 :  17:33:26  Show Profile  Visit eilinel's Homepage Send eilinel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
all of those sports look cool actually.
i practiced French boxing, its between kick boxing and Regular Box
u can strike with feet but only some parts of them, its quite hard and don't always hurt since there are two ways to play: the first is the regular way, u strike until the other guy say "may i apologize to have thought i could steal your player's hand book?" and the second way is more difficult, u just have to touch the other on some parts of the body which give u points, if u strike too strongly, u lost. more u have points, the best u are.
actually, u don't always fight with feet, since u can also fight with fists exactly like American boxing. the true name is Savate, the street fight.
Go to Top of Page

lowtech
Learned Scribe

USA
315 Posts

Posted - 07 Nov 2003 :  18:16:30  Show Profile  Visit lowtech's Homepage Send lowtech a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Rad

hehehe

Karate is like the exact opposite of bushido, because bushido (the way of the warrior) was designed for the samurai, and it deals with blade-wielding, where as karate (openhand) deals with well...unarmed strikes, generally...

I heard that karate (not to be confused with other martial arts) was created in Okinawa(sp?) as a means of self-defense against the Japanese. Wouldn't that make karate and bushido diametrically opposed?
Go to Top of Page

Bayne
Seeker

USA
86 Posts

Posted - 07 Nov 2003 :  23:35:11  Show Profile  Visit Bayne's Homepage Send Bayne a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by lowtech

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Rad

hehehe

I heard that karate (not to be confused with other martial arts) was created in Okinawa(sp?) as a means of self-defense against the Japanese. Wouldn't that make karate and bushido diametrically opposed?

My knowledge of other martial arts than what i have listed is limited, so forgive my ignorance, if you would.

Go to Top of Page

Alexis Merlin
Learned Scribe

USA
115 Posts

Posted - 11 Nov 2003 :  19:22:48  Show Profile  Visit Alexis Merlin's Homepage Send Alexis Merlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Greetings all,

Firstly an apology for my prolonged absence - I have been popping in from time to time to read the new topics but have sadly not been posting for sometime. Anyhow now I have settled in here in the big city (London) I should be able to partake a little more often - there is an RPG group at my university that does FR but I have not had time to join yet...

On the Martial Arts discussion I'm a Krav Maga man myself - for those interested a good website to check out is www.krav-maga.org.uk where I train...anyhow back on topic - I am trying to get one of the coveted US work placements that my university organises over the summer, and if I do then GenCon will take place during it...whether I will be anywhere near it is another question but at least I'll be on the same Continent!!

Incidently if any of the UK based scribes are in my neck of the woods at all, feel free to drop me an email (as a student I am always on the lookout for free lunches )

It is knowledge that influences and equalizes the social condition of man; that gives to all, however different their political position, passions which are in common, and enjoyments which are universal.
(Benjamin Disraeli)
Go to Top of Page

Bayne
Seeker

USA
86 Posts

Posted - 11 Nov 2003 :  20:26:56  Show Profile  Visit Bayne's Homepage Send Bayne a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alexis Merlin

Greetings all,

Firstly an apology for my prolonged absence - I have been popping in from time to time to read the new topics but have sadly not been posting for sometime. Anyhow now I have settled in here in the big city (London) I should be able to partake a little more often - there is an RPG group at my university that does FR but I have not had time to join yet...

On the Martial Arts discussion I'm a Krav Maga man myself - for those interested a good website to check out is www.krav-maga.org.uk where I train...anyhow back on topic - I am trying to get one of the coveted US work placements that my university organises over the summer, and if I do then GenCon will take place during it...whether I will be anywhere near it is another question but at least I'll be on the same Continent!!

Incidently if any of the UK based scribes are in my neck of the woods at all, feel free to drop me an email (as a student I am always on the lookout for free lunches )

Krav maga is an israeli martial art, yes?

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 12 Nov 2003 :  09:35:23  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yah!!!...Alexis is back .
(any chance that you could finish that Sea Adventure story that you started here several months ago?)

Sorry, but I have nothing else to contribute to this part of the discussion.

Edited by - The Sage on 12 Nov 2003 09:36:59
Go to Top of Page

Bayne
Seeker

USA
86 Posts

Posted - 12 Nov 2003 :  11:10:29  Show Profile  Visit Bayne's Homepage Send Bayne a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sage of Perth

Yah!!!...Alexis is back .
(any chance that you could finish that Sea Adventure story that you started here several months ago?)

Sorry, but I have nothing else to contribute to this part of the discussion.

That's ok, we're off-topic anyways, so why don't we veer back onto the path of that which is the Meeting. (dun dun dun).
So, Gencon...
I'll try to make it, hopefully I can, but the question is, how will we meet up?

Go to Top of Page

Alexis Merlin
Learned Scribe

USA
115 Posts

Posted - 12 Nov 2003 :  13:14:54  Show Profile  Visit Alexis Merlin's Homepage Send Alexis Merlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes Bayne Krav Maga did indeed originate in Israel - apparantely it's been taking off in the US over the past few years, and is now just starting in Europe/UK.

...and Sage I am planning to continue the Sea Adventure story ASAP...hopefully the release of the film "Master and Commander" will aid my inspiration - unfortunately I left the original script on my computer at home but aim to get it sometime soon...incidentally did ever get either of my emails about ideas for the title, or for information about "The Noble Order of the Radiant Heart"?

It is knowledge that influences and equalizes the social condition of man; that gives to all, however different their political position, passions which are in common, and enjoyments which are universal.
(Benjamin Disraeli)
Go to Top of Page

Trafaldi
Learned Scribe

264 Posts

Posted - 12 Nov 2003 :  13:44:05  Show Profile  Visit Trafaldi's Homepage Send Trafaldi a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was thinking we meet at the WOTC booth its usually right in the middle, easy to see and we could probably meet in the novel section. There is occasionally an author in there and usually not alot of people.

Some believe there is something more after death, if you really want to find out... go kill yourself and stop pestering me.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 12 Nov 2003 :  15:49:28  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I never received your email about the 'Titles' for your story Alexis, but I have since changed my email address since your last visit. The new address is now located in my profile.

As for the 'Radiant Heart' email...well I did send you out a copy when you last requested it, but obviously you never received it. I think I still have the file saved somewhere, I'll see about sending out to you.

Go to Top of Page

Mystery_Man
Senior Scribe

USA
455 Posts

Posted - 12 Nov 2003 :  17:25:53  Show Profile  Visit Mystery_Man's Homepage Send Mystery_Man a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Trafaldi

The scribes at candlekeep need to get together.

We can plan a meeting for gencon Indianapolis 2004 or, 2005 or, 2006. or all three.

Those that want to, we need to get in touch.

so who wants to

And then on to who's who in the Candlekeep martial arts world. Woosh! Talk about your thread highjacks!

While I'm not a martial artist I aammmmmm.....

the very model of a modern Major-General,
I've information vegetable, animal, and mineral,
I know the kings of England, and I quote the fights
historical
From Marathon to Waterloo, in order categorical;
I'm very well acquainted, too, with matters
mathematical,
I understand equations, both the simple and
quadratical,
About binomial theorem I'm teeming with a lot o' news,
With many cheerful facts about the square of the
hypotenuse.

Sorry, just had to blow off some steam. Thank you for letting into your homes to waste your time.
Go to Top of Page

Bayne
Seeker

USA
86 Posts

Posted - 12 Nov 2003 :  20:14:15  Show Profile  Visit Bayne's Homepage Send Bayne a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Trafaldi

I was thinking we meet at the WOTC booth its usually right in the middle, easy to see and we could probably meet in the novel section. There is occasionally an author in there and usually not alot of people.

Good plan Sir Trafaldi!
Now only if I could make it...(must get job soon!)

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000