Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Which version of d&d does Ed Greenwood play?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Ozreth
Learned Scribe

188 Posts

Posted - 19 Oct 2010 :  08:27:05  Show Profile  Visit Ozreth's Homepage Send Ozreth a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
R.A. Salvtore recently said that when he plays it's 4e and when he DM's it's OD&D.

This got me thinkin about Ed. I imagine he plays a bit of everything, but has he ever made a statement about which version he enjoys the most?

Quale
Master of Realmslore

1757 Posts

Posted - 19 Oct 2010 :  08:49:59  Show Profile Send Quale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think he said 2e
Go to Top of Page

Darsson Spellmaker
Seeker

56 Posts

Posted - 19 Oct 2010 :  11:26:46  Show Profile Send Darsson Spellmaker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As Quale said. When Ed runs his campaigns, he uses 2nd edition rules.

"Know, O mages, that there is learning, and there is wisdom, and they are very far from being the same thing."--Azuth the High One, Utterances from the Altar: Collected Verbal Manifestations of the Divine and Most Holy Lord of Spells (holy chapbook, assembled by anonymous priests of Azuth circa 1358 DR)
Go to Top of Page

Pazuzu
Seeker

Germany
61 Posts

Posted - 19 Oct 2010 :  12:01:33  Show Profile Send Pazuzu a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just AD&D 2nd rule set or also the Realms?

May your dice obey your will. - Gary Gygax (*1938 - †2008)
Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 19 Oct 2010 :  13:28:48  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
From what I remember he plays the Realms with a very loose and rules-light version of the Ad&d 2nd edition rules.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 19 Oct 2010 :  15:22:57  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What Jorkens said - the rules are secondary to the story.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 19 Oct 2010 :  17:04:01  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd love to get in on one of his games. That would be epic!

The Goddess is alive, and magic is afoot.

"Where Science ends, Magic begins" -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

"You idiots! You've captured their STUNT doubles!" -Spaceballs

Lothir's character background/stats: http://forum.candlekeep.com/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=5469

My stories:
http://z3.invisionfree.com/Mickeys_Comic_Tavern/index.php?showforum=188

Lothir, courtesy of Sylinde (Deviant Art)/Luaxena (Chosen of Eilistraee)
http://sylinde.deviantart.com/#/d2z6e4u
Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 20 Oct 2010 :  03:46:15  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Where is Milady Hooded One when we need her? As she is one of his players she would be able to answer this question exhaustively (which is my favorite way ).

Errant d20 Designer - My Blog (last updated January 06, 2016)

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back. --Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Reference Document (PFRPG OGL Rules)
* The Hypertext d20 SRD (3.5 OGL Rules)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Heroes of the Jade Oath (PFRPG, conversion; Rite Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Martial Arts Guidebook (forthcoming) (PFRPG, designer; Rite Publishing)
Go to Top of Page

Thauramarth
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
729 Posts

Posted - 20 Oct 2010 :  07:19:11  Show Profile Send Thauramarth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by HawkinstheDM

Where is Milady Hooded One when we need her? As she is one of his players she would be able to answer this question exhaustively (which is my favorite way ).

Hmmm... I seem to remember that THO did answer the question in one of the So Saith Ed scrolls - something about the group voting on the rules to use when 3E came out, and the group voting to continue with 2E. Ah, here it is:

quote:
March 16, 2004: Hello, all. Presenting the words of Ed once more:
Well met, DarkPsion. Yes, part of me wants to publish two Knights novels a year, treating their careers as an endless saga -- and then again, there's this other part of me that worries I'm overloaded right now, and however would I meet THOSE deadlines, too?

As far as I know, stats for the Knights have never been updated in print beyond those places you're already familiar with, now that Kuje31 has swooped in done the swift Realmslore note for you (mentioned elsewhere, yes: FRS1 The Dalelands, Volo's, but not really updated). My 'home' campaign still uses 2nd Edition (because we vote on such things, and the majority of my players prefer 2nd Ed), so we've never 'recast' things for the new rules.

As for Nimbral, well, I strongly suspect you'll be seeing more about this place soon, but with an accent more on the place and less on magic or psionics or treasure.

So saith Ed. The Hooded One fondly remembers her in-character visit to Nimbral, and meeting a certain unicorn there . . . (happy sigh of remembrance)

Go to Top of Page

Sandro
Learned Scribe

New Zealand
266 Posts

Posted - 20 Oct 2010 :  08:56:53  Show Profile Send Sandro a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by HawkinstheDM

She is at her best when she leaves people exhausted.

"Gods, little fishes, and spells to turn the one to the other," Mordenkainen sighed. "It's started already..."

Edited by - Sandro on 20 Oct 2010 08:57:16
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000