Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Background for a Fire Genasi
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Aszathoth
Acolyte

Germany
1 Posts

Posted - 07 Oct 2010 :  14:42:44  Show Profile  Visit Aszathoth's Homepage Send Aszathoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Greetings!

I've got a request for advices regarding the background of a fire genasi and would be glad if you could help me out with a few ideas.

The fellow shall be a Fighter/Wizard with obvious features of his heritage - the problem with this is that i don't find any good explanations for him gaining the necessary education. So far i thought of him being born in Calimshan and sold to slavery because of his parents being afraid of him. There, his master would get him teached the basics of fighting to act as a bodyguard in the future. Someday he will free himself to join the frame of the campaign. But .. how could he learn the stuff necessary for being a proper wizard? Concerning his outlook, i can't see that many people would teach a potentially dangerous being like a fire genasi this sort of power, even in another region that isn't strained with antipathy against djinn like Calimshan.
So, any ideas on how to solve this in a plausible way? Calimshan isn't a must-go for his origin, so feel free to propose whatever's in your mind. Thanks!

Rhewtani
Senior Scribe

USA
508 Posts

Posted - 07 Oct 2010 :  14:59:07  Show Profile Send Rhewtani a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, the slavemaster wanted to use him as a bodyguard, but when he received an offer to good to be true, he took it and sold the genasi to a visiting merchant. The merchant, it turns out, is actually a Kossuth worshipping Efeeti who taught the genasi wizardry to be his protege. Perhaps, he could find out later down the road that his younger sister/kindly uncle/parents had somehow attained a wish from the efreet and he answered the wish by teaching the genasi the art.
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 07 Oct 2010 :  16:55:43  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Calimshan is probably the best place for a Faerunian-born genasi to come from, since it has the most interaction with genies of all sorts. Zakhara is an even better option, if you have access to the Al'Qadim material. Or he could be a planewalker; genasi are most common on the outer planes, and he could have come to Faerun to get away from the planar distrust of genasi.

Another option is that he was born to be the agent of a powerful wizard. Sufficiently powerful wizards can summon efreet, one with no scruples could then force a bound efreeti upon a (demi)human slave woman. The idea would be to raise the resulting genasi as a fanatically loyal, magically powerful agent of the wizard, to go and do dangerous things the wizard can't be bothered to do, or doesn't want to risk his neck doing.

That gives you a reason for the genasi to be trained in pretty much anything you want, from wizard magic to blacksmithing (what better person to work the forge than someone immune to fire?). If your PCs are relatively low level, it also provides a long-term villian who can haunt them until they eventually put him down, one who already has a known penchant for using summoned monsters.

In this scenario, you could have the genasi be from wherever is most useful for your campaign. The wizard's lair would likely be in some remote wilderness area, but close enough to some part of civilization that the genasi could then interact with until he decides to run away.

Anyway, that's one idea. I'm happy to share more, if this one doesn't work.

Doggedly converting 3e back to what D&D should be...
Sigh... And now 4e as well.
Go to Top of Page

Ionik Knight
Learned Scribe

USA
222 Posts

Posted - 07 Oct 2010 :  18:32:25  Show Profile  Visit Ionik Knight's Homepage Send Ionik Knight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thay seems a good choice, lots magic training, it's a recommended Region for Any Genasi type, and they have a large number of Kossuth worshipers. Unther is another recommend region for Fire Genasi.

Fools to right of them,
Jesters to left of them,
Clowns in front of them
Pun'd and parody'd.
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 07 Oct 2010 :  23:31:19  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thay I agree with completely. Lots of Kossuth worshippers, lots of powerful wizards, and an established history of summoning creatures from the Plane of Fire. Any such genasi would probably, like the scenario I outlined above have been bred to be some wizard or priest's elite henchman, who later decided he'd rather be his own man.

Unther, on the other hand I think is a poor choice. It doesn't have any history with genies whatsoever, nor does it have much in the way of wizards outside of a single city. Plus, the people are rather isolated, approaching xenophobic. Ordinary demihumans don't go there, let alone genasi. I'd say an Untheric genasi would be born just this side of "never."

Go to Top of Page

Ionik Knight
Learned Scribe

USA
222 Posts

Posted - 08 Oct 2010 :  02:51:24  Show Profile  Visit Ionik Knight's Homepage Send Ionik Knight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hoondatha

Thay I agree with completely. Lots of Kossuth worshippers, lots of powerful wizards, and an established history of summoning creatures from the Plane of Fire. Any such genasi would probably, like the scenario I outlined above have been bred to be some wizard or priest's elite henchman, who later decided he'd rather be his own man.

Unther, on the other hand I think is a poor choice. It doesn't have any history with genies whatsoever, nor does it have much in the way of wizards outside of a single city. Plus, the people are rather isolated, approaching xenophobic. Ordinary demihumans don't go there, let alone genasi. I'd say an Untheric genasi would be born just this side of "never."

I don't understand the logic behind genasi in Unther myself, but it IS listed as a preferred region in the Players Guide to Faerun.

Fools to right of them,
Jesters to left of them,
Clowns in front of them
Pun'd and parody'd.
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 08 Oct 2010 :  03:11:18  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thus just going to show that even the best designers every once in a while slip. No big deal.

Go to Top of Page

Quale
Master of Realmslore

1757 Posts

Posted - 09 Oct 2010 :  14:24:06  Show Profile Send Quale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Maybe these are from the Coastal Cities. Tough I agree for Unther the ash genasi would be more fitting.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000