Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Pre-Cormyrian history of Tilverton
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Halidan
Senior Scribe

USA
470 Posts

Posted - 16 Sep 2010 :  21:37:00  Show Profile  Visit Halidan's Homepage Send Halidan a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I'm trying to put together some notes on the pre-Cormyrian history of Tilverton. I have a few things about Geri and the Church of Gond, as well as the map from the Fonstad Atlas.

Does anyohne have anything else? Tilverton would have been the biggest city in/near the Dales and should have been a major political and economic force in the western Dales, but I can find nothing about the city prior to the Cormyrian armies taking control. Anyone know of sources I'm overlooking?

Thanks in advance for the help.

"Over the Mountains
Of the Moon
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride,"
The shade replied,
"If you seek for Eldorado!"

Edgar Allen Poe - 1849

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6646 Posts

Posted - 17 Sep 2010 :  03:41:20  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You're not overlooking any sources. The history of the Dales and Cormyr itself for that matter is woefully unrepresented in the published products despite the fact that it has always been a focus in terms of play. I know that Faraer had a decent Dalelands Timeline up and running a while back and the Cormyr Lineage gives decent back-story to that realm, but I can't recall a founding date for Tilverton. You might have to ask Ed.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Quale
Master of Realmslore

1757 Posts

Posted - 17 Sep 2010 :  09:11:09  Show Profile Send Quale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
why does it say that the Dalelanders came from the Great Dale, aren't they from Chondath
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 17 Sep 2010 :  18:55:02  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
IIRC, the 'near' Unapproachable East (Easting Reach region) was settled first by the Chondathans, and then settlement of Cormyr began at a later date, with folk mostly from the Easting Reach area, who were of Chondathan decent.

So Cormyr was technically a Chondathan colony, but in a round-about way.

They didn't settle the nearer Cormyrian coast at first because of the dragon, and later the Elves - the Dragonmere had a rather unpleasant reputation for 'lost ships' back then.

At least, thats how I think things went - 'ancient' Cormyrian history is a bit fuzzy, and parts of it have purposely been re-written to protect certain individuals and paint Cormyr itself in a better light (something RW nations have been doing since the dawn of time, BTW).

As for the OP: I have a bit of history for northern Cormyr that was to be included in my next CKC article, if that thing ever sees the light of day. Brian James was kind-enough to include a couple of my own locales on his map, and I was going to flesh them out a bit.

The way I am spinning things, Marsember, Arabel, and Tilverton were not the only 'independent settlements' swallowed up by Cornyrian imperialism. There is at least two others (pre-4e) that are canon, and given what they did in 4e I would say I am right on the money with that call.

There were at least three 'baronies' that were north of old Cormyr that are now part of it - the original kingdom only went as far north as the King's Forest. You'll note that Arabel was also annexed (they have quite a history of that if you look closely).

It almost seems as if Cormyr culls threats, so as to make small neighbors endangered, just so that they can 'step in to protect them'.

Nahhhhh... Cormyr wouldn't do that.... would it?

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 17 Sep 2010 19:05:02
Go to Top of Page

Halidan
Senior Scribe

USA
470 Posts

Posted - 17 Sep 2010 :  21:35:51  Show Profile  Visit Halidan's Homepage Send Halidan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Krash, I'm sorry to hear the bad news, but I suspected that was the case. I've got more medical procedures comming up in the next two weeks, but once I have regular access, I'll throw a question or two to the Sage of the Greenwood.

"Over the Mountains
Of the Moon
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride,"
The shade replied,
"If you seek for Eldorado!"

Edgar Allen Poe - 1849
Go to Top of Page

wintermute27
Learned Scribe

USA
179 Posts

Posted - 18 Sep 2010 :  20:27:55  Show Profile  Visit wintermute27's Homepage Send wintermute27 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In the game I am currently running, I managed to piece together the settlement of Tilver's Gap from the entries in the Cyclopedia of the Realms (p.85-86), Forgotten Realms Adventures (p.112-114), and Volo's Guide to Cormyr (p.195-203). Each of them contains little snippets of history and the like, enough to get a fairly good picture of old Tilver's Gap.

My Current Campaign: The Adventures of the Stonelanders
Go to Top of Page

Quale
Master of Realmslore

1757 Posts

Posted - 25 Sep 2010 :  12:27:32  Show Profile Send Quale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

IIRC, the 'near' Unapproachable East (Easting Reach region) was settled first by the Chondathans, and then settlement of Cormyr began at a later date, with folk mostly from the Easting Reach area, who were of Chondathan decent.

yea, it's weird that in the Great Dale Chondathans make 50 % of the population, and in Thesk they don't have even 1 % ?
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000