Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Adventuring
 Help with a character build?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Jeffrie
Acolyte

USA
22 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2010 :  23:12:54  Show Profile  Visit Jeffrie's Homepage Send Jeffrie a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Well i have this concept. How many skills can a character have? and also, how much can a character disguise their influence/power? I want a superspy/vizier. I real behind the scenes character. Though it would be nice if he could throw a punch, what i really want to know is; How high can i get Bluff/Diplomacy/Sense Motive/Use Magic Device/ ETC

While i'm at it i might as well have a character class (or two, or three) and some power.

The rules are: DND 3.5, elite array. Nothing too obscure (would prefer
to be Faerun, character is a basic race). And i can buy any magic item i want. 20th level. Here's where i'm going so far. . . .

First level Rouge, Half Elf, Middle aged (the reason is for the extra int wis cha at first level).

STR 8
DEX 11/12 (goes to 12 first chance)
CON 8
INT 20 (5 skill points per level
WIS 10
CHA 14/18 (i think this is where the rest of my ability goes)

Now i could maybe put more points in INT as i develop, for extra skill points. Is there a max INT for halfelves? I think though that the CHA being high is in line with the character, and will help in other ways.

Then, i think i will end as a Fochlucan Lyrist. They get 6 skill points per level, and spells in two classes (though they gain very few other bonuses.
Lyrist have a max of 10 classes, and a requirement of one arcane level, and one divine level. So to max that i would need 11 levels. This would give me 6th level spells in two classes.
I'm not thinking the character will get all their play from summoning, so i wonder is Cleric better than Druid for combat spells and divination? Can a True Neutral cleric has HARM? Can the same cleric cast harm and heal? or only one or the other?

So there is a starting place (i don't want to talk too much without listening to your ideas):

Rogue: at least one level (any other way to get more skills?)

Arcane Caster: at least one level (11 Wizard levels is a good start?)
Divine Caster: at least one level (Cleric or Druid?)

Fochlucan Lyrist: 10 levels.

That's 13 levels. I was thinking of putting Spymaster, or Exemplar in between there, but. . . .I'm not sure. . .

It's important to remember for this character; He is 'the best spy in the whole world'. His Diplomacy/Bluff/Sense Motive will approach 40+take ten. He needs to be absolutely impervious to scyring or detection of any sort, and there should be no thing he can not scry or detect or locate.
He will take all Disguise and Polymorph spells he can, etc, and all his magic items will echo the theme (boots of teleport, bag of holding, disguised/hidden magic items, etc). His spells will be hidden, and most will think of him as a secretary to someone powerful (only he's on more than one team)
It would be nice if he can kill in one strike, so somewhere in there he needs to either have a killing touch or 140 damage attack spell or wand of disintegration or something. But he only needs to kill one target at a time, because he will be standing next to an unarmed target when he strikes.

His life goal seems to be to stay hidden while he looks for his fathers killer. In the mean time he collects magic artifacts that make it easier for him to collect magic artifacts, etc

The THEME of the character is as important here as which class he is, though i feel pretty sure that Rouge at first level (52 skill points!) and 10 levels of Lyrist are intrinsic (maybe not?).

Hope some folks want to have fun helping me with this. Oh yeah, i have pcgen, and i would accept code for this idea if you have some.

thanks
jeffrie

I'd love to try some pbp, but never have. PM me a game i could lurk at. I think it would be fun to play with someone who has tabletop software.

Jeffrie
Acolyte

USA
22 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2010 :  03:15:45  Show Profile  Visit Jeffrie's Homepage Send Jeffrie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
One of the things i am interested in hearing, is what featsmagic items do y'all recommend to increase the above characters niche depth?

I'd love to try some pbp, but never have. PM me a game i could lurk at. I think it would be fun to play with someone who has tabletop software.
Go to Top of Page

Sian
Senior Scribe

Denmark
596 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2010 :  05:12:33  Show Profile  Visit Sian's Homepage Send Sian a Private Message  Reply with Quote
i'd suggest taking a look at Beguiler from PHBII ... Enchantment/Illusion specialized Arcane Caster with Trapfinding and 6 skillpoints/level

what happened to the queen? she's much more hysterical than usual
She's a women, it happens once a month
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2010 :  05:31:17  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well it sounds like you want a Rogue/Magic User.

The Rogue does get the greatest skill points and a not bad list of class skills.

You might wish to add Bard to the mix for the Bardic magic.

I am not familiar with what a Fochlucan Lyrist is, must be a book I did not read, however a Bard might be just as good (gets 6 skill points). OK found it http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20050107a&page=2 which indicates must have Cleric or other Divine spell casting ability.

It strikes me that clearly you could use Rogue for one or two levels, then need to get Divine class and Arcane casting classes before you could even consider taking the Fochlucan Lyrist. The character must be 10 levels before being able to take the PC if Perform (string instruments) is a class ability (if not the character must reach level 20 before trying for the class).

To avoid ex. pt. penalty I would propose Rogue 4/Bard 3/Cleric 3. This should provide all the skill points needed to become a Fochlucan Lyrist plus provide Uncanny dodge, Bardic magic and healing of a Cleric as well (depending on deity of course there can be a bonus from that as well).

As to feats to take, that becomes a little harder. The classes grant some, dodging might be a main focus of your character, however it is possible to hide in plain sight as well.

Edit: in review of the SRD, my recommendation has changed. One requirement is that the character must be able to speak Druidic and by the RAW only a Druid can speak that. As such you would need to replace my proposed Cleric with the class Druid.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon

Edited by - Kentinal on 18 Aug 2010 05:54:33
Go to Top of Page

Gambit
Learned Scribe

110 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2010 :  05:44:19  Show Profile Send Gambit a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Have you looked over the Factotum class from Dungeonscape? A Changling Factotum with the Chameleon (from Races of Destiny) prestige class is a great combination. Chameleon grants you up to 6th level spells in arcane and divine, or lets you focus on other aspects, and lets you be anyone you want, hi I'm Bob the Dwarf Cleric one day, and hi Im John the Elf Mage the next, all while hiding you true nature.
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4429 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2010 :  03:37:11  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Couple of questions I got:

1. What books are being allowed or is anything being restricted?

2. What are the other members of the party?

3. What niche/role do you look to fill for this party. Being a rogue/bard isn't bad for DPR and buffing and they synergize well.

Going with the Fochlucan Lyrist, IMO, is a mistake. First, the class requires 3 base classes to gain entry (most go with bard/rogue/druid) and second, the class features just don't give the PrC enough "UMPH!". Sure, the spellcasting increases to both arcane/divine is pretty much what makes the PrC not completly worthless.

If you have the Complete Mage, the PrC Lyric Thaumaturge is a very nice class that might help you in your role.
Go to Top of Page

Jeffrie
Acolyte

USA
22 Posts

Posted - 21 Aug 2010 :  16:53:16  Show Profile  Visit Jeffrie's Homepage Send Jeffrie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks folks. I've been reading pretty much all of what was suggested. I am still reading this feats list

http://www.realmshelps.org/cgi-bin/featsform.pl

Sian, i looked at the Beguiler, and it had some cool stuff, but . . .

Kentinal, Your post describes the kind of character i am building. Rather towards core books and tolkienesque partys of dwarves elves hobbits and humans. . .

Gambit;, i forgot to look up Factotum, and glancing over it right now i realize i will need to read it before i can finish, because it looks like it might just be the class i am building.

capnvan; read that whole thread.

Diffan;, I hope you get back with me after i read the Factotum, because i would like more help. I think that i will allow most of the forgotten realms stuff, but only as applicable. I think there is plenty of story for my character without him being a demon or dragon. So i want to optimize, but i'm also willing to spend the feats to stay in character.

I will read some more and try to get back to this today.

http://www.realmshelps.org/cgi-bin/feats.pl?Education_%28E%29

Go to Top of Page

Jeffrie
Acolyte

USA
22 Posts

Posted - 22 Aug 2010 :  05:50:19  Show Profile  Visit Jeffrie's Homepage Send Jeffrie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I can't yet find a good straight copy of the Factotum, but it seems very impressive. Here are a couple of options i read

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:syQ3PLpUUTsJ:community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19871722/The_Factotum_Handbook+Factotum+%28Dungeonscape%29&cd=6&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us&client=firefox-a

Chameleon: Well, now your ability to imitate class skills isn't all that limited anymore, now is it? Add on that your spells from Factotum allow you to take metamagic feats and boy-howdy, are you in business. Normal Chameleons have an issue with getting the metamagic they crave to modify the 6th level arcane AND divine casting they end up getting. Not anymore! Factotums meet the skill prereqs AND grant the spell-access you need to bone up on metamagic feats that you can use with your Chameleon abilities! Add on Kung-Fu Genius, a Monk's Belt, and more levels of Factotum and you'll be casting Factotum spells, 6th level divine, and 6th level arcane without armor but netting twice your Int bonus to AC. Let's not forget that once you get that 8th level of Factotum you get to cast two spells per round, either! I love this combo, and it makes for the ultimate spy.

Exemplar: These guys are the natural extension of the Factotum. Not only does this class allow you to master tons of skills (up to 10 + your Int mod - something you could use to master ALL skills if your Int were high enough!) and provide extra un-named bonuses to skills, it also allows you to add your Int mod to Reflex and Initiative checks and your Cha mod to Concentration checks and Fort saves. A level of Marshal before entering Exemplar grants you both the Skill Focus feat needed for entry and the ability to get your Cha bonus to either Str or Dex-based skills, allowing you to create a very mobile, wire-works style fighter capable of epic-level skill checks.

I really don't like to take too much 3.0 stuff, because i think the game is more balanced without cheating like that, so . . . I guess those are the sources. Here's part of the story: Raised in a monastery by monks who run an orphanage. So monk feat tie ins are allowed.

Definitely 3.5 core, and Complete Adventurer. What is an Eberron, btw? Faerun only, i suppose.

I like this Feat, i think:

Faerie Mysteries Initiate

Type: General
Source: Dragon #319

You know the timeless secrets and rituals of the Faerie Mysteries, self-improving rites of grace and passion that have been handed down since the earliest days that form a fundamental pillar of elven culture.

Region: Celene, gray elf, high elf, Lendore Isles, tallfellow halfling, Verbobonc, wild elf, wood elf. (Oerth)
Benefit: You and a partner with the Faerie Mysteries Initiate feat practice 15-minute regimen of cultural rituals that grant you special bonuses on skill checks or combat rolls. You choose which bonus you'd prefer before conducting the exercise, modifying your regimen slightly to achieve the desired effect. Both practitioners must agree upon the rite to be performed and receive the same bonus. Granted effects last until the next time you perform the Faerie Mysteries.

snip

Passions: You and your partner engage in an exuberant sensual act. The ritual leaves both partners invigorated, allowing you to use your Intelligence modifier instead of your Constitution modifier to determine bonus hit points.

I was hoping to get that half elf 'as an elf' benefit, and take this. Is it cool? or is it a wasted feat?

Go to Top of Page

Sian
Senior Scribe

Denmark
596 Posts

Posted - 22 Aug 2010 :  10:54:47  Show Profile  Visit Sian's Homepage Send Sian a Private Message  Reply with Quote
unless you take a race which have +2 int of cause :P +2int is in my book better than bonus skillpoints (for obivous reasons)

Go to Top of Page

Zireael
Master of Realmslore

Poland
1190 Posts

Posted - 22 Aug 2010 :  12:42:28  Show Profile  Visit Zireael's Homepage Send Zireael a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sian

unless you take a race which have +2 int of cause :P +2int is in my book better than bonus skillpoints (for obivous reasons)

Or even bigger bonus to Int. +6 or +8 would be worth it... Template anyone? Fey? Half-illithid?

SiNafay Vrinn, the daughter of Lloth, from Ched Nasad!

http://zireael07.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

Sian
Senior Scribe

Denmark
596 Posts

Posted - 22 Aug 2010 :  16:18:38  Show Profile  Visit Sian's Homepage Send Sian a Private Message  Reply with Quote
then it starts getting LA's which negates the bonus, specially for Skillmonkeys and/or Spellcasters

but something such as Lesser Tiefling would arguebly be just as good as Human, at least when talking skills

Edited by - Sian on 22 Aug 2010 16:22:13
Go to Top of Page

Gambit
Learned Scribe

110 Posts

Posted - 23 Aug 2010 :  04:25:03  Show Profile Send Gambit a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If you decide to go Chameleon dont forget to reallocate your points to make sure you will have a 16 wisdom by the time you have access to 6th level spells. Its a shame you dont play Pathfinder, then you could just play a human, get the bonus skill point AND and a +2 Int.

Edited by - Gambit on 23 Aug 2010 04:27:07
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4429 Posts

Posted - 23 Aug 2010 :  16:30:58  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If you want I can PM you the Factotum class in it's entirety. It's a pretty cool class because it incorporates a lot of other class abilities and can act (for a short time) as many roles (tank, buffer, healer, skillmonkey...).

I wouldn't go with a Template unless you can find a good one with a LA +1 or less. LA +2 just isn't worth the class levels and spell slots you'd lose. And if you like Monk tie-ins, a few levels of monk provide boosts to speed, extra feats, and unarmed damage bonus. Add that to a Monk's belt, Superior Unarmed Strike, Snap Kick and your on your way to being a Jack-of-All trades. Plus there are some good Monk feats from the Eberron book that allow you to use certain weapons as monk weapons (like the longsword).
Go to Top of Page

Zireael
Master of Realmslore

Poland
1190 Posts

Posted - 23 Aug 2010 :  17:50:02  Show Profile  Visit Zireael's Homepage Send Zireael a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Diffan

If you want I can PM you the Factotum class in it's entirety. It's a pretty cool class because it incorporates a lot of other class abilities and can act (for a short time) as many roles (tank, buffer, healer, skillmonkey...).

I wouldn't go with a Template unless you can find a good one with a LA +1 or less. LA +2 just isn't worth the class levels and spell slots you'd lose. And if you like Monk tie-ins, a few levels of monk provide boosts to speed, extra feats, and unarmed damage bonus. Add that to a Monk's belt, Superior Unarmed Strike, Snap Kick and your on your way to being a Jack-of-All trades. Plus there are some good Monk feats from the Eberron book that allow you to use certain weapons as monk weapons (like the longsword).

Wow, Factotum... Diffan, maybe you could PM it to me too? Looks like a nice class...

SiNafay Vrinn, the daughter of Lloth, from Ched Nasad!

http://zireael07.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4429 Posts

Posted - 23 Aug 2010 :  17:54:15  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Zireael

Wow, Factotum... Diffan, maybe you could PM it to me too? Looks like a nice class...

Sure thing. I'm at work right now but when I get home I'll send you the class too. It's a really interesting class that takes from arcane and divine spellcasting and throws in some rogue|fighter too. Only problem is, you can do all this stuff, but you can't do it as great as any one class. So you can heal (for a time), you can cast arcane spells (for a time), you can be rogish (for a time) etc... Like they say "Jack of all trades, master of none". Pretty much sums up this class.
Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 23 Aug 2010 :  18:18:50  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Isn't that really just an amped up bard? why not just do a bard/rogue gestalt, then?

The Goddess is alive, and magic is afoot.

"Where Science ends, Magic begins" -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

"You idiots! You've captured their STUNT doubles!" -Spaceballs

Lothir's character background/stats: http://forum.candlekeep.com/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=5469

My stories:
http://z3.invisionfree.com/Mickeys_Comic_Tavern/index.php?showforum=188

Lothir, courtesy of Sylinde (Deviant Art)/Luaxena (Chosen of Eilistraee)
http://sylinde.deviantart.com/#/d2z6e4u
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4429 Posts

Posted - 23 Aug 2010 :  19:07:59  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alystra Illianniis

Isn't that really just an amped up bard? why not just do a bard/rogue gestalt, then?

Well Gestalts can get really out of hand. A 20th level Bard|Rogue not only has all the spells of the Bard and bardic music abilities (which can be enhanced by a PrC) but all the benefits of a 20th level rogue including +10d6 sneak attack. Couple that with spells such as Wrathstrike (which I'm not sure if it's a bard spell or not) but there becomes a big balance issue. I think why they did the Factotum honestly.
Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 23 Aug 2010 :  19:12:00  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
True enough. But if you want to do a particular character theme, sometimes it's the best way to go, especially if the DM runs really challenging campaigns- provided, of course, that the DM allows that sort of thing. But it does help to meet prereqs if you're trying for a particular PrC in as few lvls as possible, too. I've never seen the Factotum, so I couldn't say on that one.

Lothir's character background/stats: http://forum.candlekeep.com/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=5469

My stories:

Go to Top of Page

Gambit
Learned Scribe

110 Posts

Posted - 23 Aug 2010 :  19:26:13  Show Profile Send Gambit a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I agree, sometimes gestalt can get kind of silly if its not reigned in.

My official recommendation is to go Factotum 8 then moving into the Chameleon prestige class until completion, taking the Font of Inspiration feat found here as many times as possible http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/frcc/20070606 (scroll down a little, in a sidebar).
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4429 Posts

Posted - 23 Aug 2010 :  19:48:15  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Speaking of Gestalt campaigns, I ran one with 1st level gestalt characters that took place in Phlan. It was crazy cuz my player's came up with amazing combo classes. we had a Scout|Ranger who focused on using a bow and was just amazing. We also had a Warforged Fighter|Artificer who had this small 'bot' inside his chest that made magical items while we adventured. We called him an easy-bake oven, lol.
Go to Top of Page

Gambit
Learned Scribe

110 Posts

Posted - 23 Aug 2010 :  21:18:24  Show Profile Send Gambit a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

we had a Scout|Ranger who focused on using a bow and was just amazing.

Im pretty sure I know what his tactics were, it all boils down to the use of the skirmish ability and most importantly one feat, Greater Manyshot from the XPH, a feat which turns this specific character into an archery god, either that or that Travel Devotion feat from Complete Champion.

Edited by - Gambit on 23 Aug 2010 21:19:31
Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 23 Aug 2010 :  21:41:56  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Speaking of Gestalt campaigns, I ran one with 1st level gestalt characters that took place in Phlan. It was crazy cuz my player's came up with amazing combo classes. we had a Scout|Ranger who focused on using a bow and was just amazing. We also had a Warforged Fighter|Artificer who had this small 'bot' inside his chest that made magical items while we adventured. We called him an easy-bake oven, lol.

Ha! That's almost as nutty as my monk/wizard gestalt character. I went Enlightened Fist with him, and he can do some incredible things with Flurry of Blows and Spider Climb! Ever see an orc get pummeled from the ceiling?!

My stories:

Go to Top of Page

Jeffrie
Acolyte

USA
22 Posts

Posted - 23 Aug 2010 :  21:53:09  Show Profile  Visit Jeffrie's Homepage Send Jeffrie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was just going to say something, and now i see i need to go read Gestalt. Which Book?

I have recently acquired the RAW on over a dozen books. I now have Factotum, Exemplar, and Chameleon, and probably Gestalt, too.

Well i'm trying to refine the vision enough to start narrowing choices.

1. Exceptionally high (nearly unequaled) access to skills; Though i will take a class without 8, it would really bug me unless there was a good reason. At one level of Factotum i think, for the 'all class skills'.
First post mentions starting Int 20, I have already decided to put the Tome of Clear Thought(sp?) as a 'first magic item', and would likely follow that with the other two Tomes. (25k x 3 = 75k for +5 in Int,Wis,Cha. So if there are other ways to increase those scores let me know.
Then there are the Feats that let you add your Int/Cha to your other skill/attack checks. I am getting close to picking some now. That is how i will get my AC and Attack/Dam and Fort Saves, and HP, etc.

UN NEGOTIABLE: I would like to build the character with the near max in the 'Social Skills', Disquise Skills, and also Use Magic Device/Appraise. That won't really be that hard if i get the Int up high enough.

2. Access to power; I am beginning to wonder (after reading other optimization threads) if i can't also have access to 9th level arcane spells, and possibly also 6th level divine spells.

Something like:
Rouge 2
Factotum 1
Wizard 7
Fochlucan Lyrist 10

Now i know that leaves out Bardic Knowledge, and Speak Druidic, and that's my problem. However, i am not convinced there are not ways to get where i'm going. Any more ideas?

Go to Top of Page

Jeffrie
Acolyte

USA
22 Posts

Posted - 23 Aug 2010 :  23:47:46  Show Profile  Visit Jeffrie's Homepage Send Jeffrie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Now see, i have absolutely no qualms about spending a feat to write a new feat called 'Speak Druidic'.
````````````````
SPEAK DRUIDIC
You began the process of Druidic initiation, but didn't finish. Your high intelligence allowed you to excel in the language and learn it swiftly.
REQ: Wis 10, Int 17, Alignment = Druid.

SPECIAL: To stay fluent you must occasionally speak with Druids; therefor changing your alignment will change your friends and you will lose the ability to speak Druidic (though you might get an idea accross if you tried). Changing back to a Druid alignment will allow you to keep Druid friends and become fluent again.
```````````````````````

Bardic Knowledge i would also be happy to write a feat for. I think it's an Int based ability and has nothing to do with Divine intervention or bloodline etc.

BARDIC KNOWLEDGE
REQ Gather Info 8, Knowledge Local 8, Diplomacy 8, Perform 5. Alignment = Bard.

You enjoy the stories and the traditions and lore that the Bards disseminate, and actively search them out at every opportunity. You gain Bardic Knowledge as a Bard, but at half your character level.

SPECIAL: To stay fluent you must constantly speak with Bards; therefor changing your alignment will change your friends and you will lose the ability employ Bardic Knowledge. Changing back to a Bardic alignment will allow you to keep Bard friends and become contemporary again.
``````````````````````````

EVASION: Your time adventuring has taught you how to evade damage (see PHB)

REQ: At least one level in any Class or PrC that has Evasion as a Class Ability.

SPECIAL: This Feat will not qualify you for the deep training needed for Improved Evasion.
`````````````````````

Now as a DM i would allow any of those feats (you do after all lose three feats) but i also understand that game balance is there for a reason, and the reason is; it should be hard to get 9th level spells.

Go to Top of Page

Jeffrie
Acolyte

USA
22 Posts

Posted - 23 Aug 2010 :  23:48:29  Show Profile  Visit Jeffrie's Homepage Send Jeffrie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Now see, i have absolutely no qualms about spending a feat to write a new feat called 'Speak Druidic'.
````````````````
SPEAK DRUIDIC
You began the process of Druidic initiation, but didn't finish. Your high intelligence allowed you to excel in the language and learn it swiftly.
REQ: Wis 10, Int 17, Alignment = Druid.

SPECIAL: To stay fluent you must occasionally speak with Druids; therefor changing your alignment will change your friends and you will lose the ability to speak Druidic (though you might get an idea accross if you tried). Changing back to a Druid alignment will allow you to keep Druid friends and become fluent again.
```````````````````````

Bardic Knowledge i would also be happy to write a feat for. I think it's an Int based ability and has nothing to do with Divine intervention or bloodline etc.

BARDIC KNOWLEDGE
REQ Gather Info 8, Knowledge Local 8, Diplomacy 8, Perform 5. Alignment = Bard.

You enjoy the stories and the traditions and lore that the Bards disseminate, and actively search them out at every opportunity. You gain Bardic Knowledge as a Bard, but at half your character level.

SPECIAL: To stay fluent you must constantly speak with Bards; therefor changing your alignment will change your friends and you will lose the ability employ Bardic Knowledge. Changing back to a Bardic alignment will allow you to keep Bard friends and become contemporary again.
``````````````````````````

EVASION: Your time adventuring has taught you how to evade damage (see PHB)

REQ: At least one level in any Class or PrC that has Evasion as a Class Ability.

SPECIAL: This Feat will not qualify you for the deep training needed for Improved Evasion.
`````````````````````

Now as a DM i would allow any of those feats (you do after all lose three feats) but i also understand that game balance is there for a reason, and the reason is; it should be hard to get 9th level spells.

Go to Top of Page

Jeffrie
Acolyte

USA
22 Posts

Posted - 24 Aug 2010 :  16:57:46  Show Profile  Visit Jeffrie's Homepage Send Jeffrie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm not understanding, capn'. I see Bardic Music as a req for Sublime Chord. Also, remember, this is a Skill Monkey, so i would either need a Factotum class, or some other method of 'all class skills'.
I may not get what i want (9th level wizard spells) and still get the rest. But i'm not done trying.

Go to Top of Page

Sian
Senior Scribe

Denmark
596 Posts

Posted - 24 Aug 2010 :  17:14:04  Show Profile  Visit Sian's Homepage Send Sian a Private Message  Reply with Quote
much harder than just going (almost) stright Beguiler ... not the same spelllist as Wizard but still ... 6+int on an int caster is not bad in skill monkeyering

Go to Top of Page

Jeffrie
Acolyte

USA
22 Posts

Posted - 24 Aug 2010 :  19:07:53  Show Profile  Visit Jeffrie's Homepage Send Jeffrie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
T'anks Cap'n Van. Does that Build also include a level of Factotum, or some other method to get 'all Class skills'? I will look for Sublime Chord and try a count.

WAIT, i don't get it. I didn't see Bardic Knowledge on the Sublime Chord, should i go look again?

I also saw the "Harper Mage", but i believe that's 3.0, and i really don't want to go there.

How about Cloistered Cleric? that has lore, and is described as 'exactly as Bardic Knowledge.

Go to Top of Page

Jeffrie
Acolyte

USA
22 Posts

Posted - 24 Aug 2010 :  19:44:44  Show Profile  Visit Jeffrie's Homepage Send Jeffrie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Theurgical Maestro:
Factotum 8/Bard 1/Ur-Priest 2/Sublime Chord 1/Mystic Theurge 8: This character gets 9th level arcane and divine casting and can take an extra standard action once per combat. Shazam.
Unfortunately it's evil.

Go to Top of Page

Jeffrie
Acolyte

USA
22 Posts

Posted - 24 Aug 2010 :  23:18:31  Show Profile  Visit Jeffrie's Homepage Send Jeffrie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ok, i have this, except a problem. The problem might be fixed by Green Whisperer, but i can't find a copy.

Bard1
Druid1
Wizard3

Initiate of Draconic Mysteries1
Mystic Theurge4

Fochlucan Lyrist 10

So the problem is Mystic Theurge needs 2 divine levels, perhaps if Green Whisperer?. . . . but i think GW only works for Bard/Druid.

See, i don't just want Divine and Arcane, i want Wish, (i may get stuck with less) or Miracle (even less likely it seems)

I'm still rereading Sublime Chord

Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 25 Aug 2010 :  02:52:54  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jeffrie

So the problem is Mystic Theurge needs 2 divine levels, perhaps if Green Whisperer?. . . . but i think GW only works for Bard/Druid.

Druid is Divine, Bard is Arcane so if GW advances both, advance in casting level in both.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000