Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 D&D Core Products
 FR print rpg products return in 2011?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2010 :  01:26:22  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Erik Scott de Bie

Authors are actually Matthew Sernett, myself, and Ari Marmell. I don't know who did the artwork.
What a combination of RPG talent. Three of my favourite designers/writers and all in the same book. Woot!

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 11 Aug 2010 01:27:13
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2010 :  01:55:32  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:
Originally posted by Thauramarth

quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

Or, maybe, just why Neverwinter was specifically chosen for such treatment?

Name recognition from Neverwinter Nights?

I'm not so sure. The brief tidbits Erik posted about the book in the "Gen Con 2010" scroll would seem to suggest that this new source will stand on its own.

Well we do have this Neverwinter Campaign

Bob Salvatore's Neverwinter series

And. Rumored new Neverwinter video game.

Threes the charm, so something big is up

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
Go to Top of Page

Razz
Senior Scribe

USA
749 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2010 :  03:07:13  Show Profile Send Razz a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Meh, this doesn't have my interest at all, and I dare not say why for fear of a flame war.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2010 :  03:53:42  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'll purchase this book. I'm at least obligated to give it a try.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2010 :  04:29:41  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Razz

Meh, this doesn't have my interest at all, and I dare not say why for fear of a flame war.

Much appreciated, Razz. Thanks.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Kyrene
Senior Scribe

South Africa
733 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2010 :  09:05:26  Show Profile  Visit Kyrene's Homepage Send Kyrene a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Erik,

Was Neverwinter then really ‘destroyed’ during/after the Spellplague as the FRCG mentions, or was it a bit of the old Elminster-like misinformation (“everything is true, but not necessarily correct”) purposely put into the FRCG?

As a long-time fan of Neverwinter (even above places like Waterdeep and Cormyr), I’d definitely give this a look.

Lost for words? Find them in the Glossary of Phrases, Sayings & Words of the Realms
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2010 :  15:21:09  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Kyrene, I can't answer in exact detail, other than to suggest an interpretation of the FRCG text as saying Neverwinter was destroyed *at some point* (and there's been a lot of time since the Spellplague), and that "lies in ruins" has multiple possible meanings.

Other than that, you'll have to see!

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4430 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2010 :  16:13:25  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As to what the Bladesinger could "possibly" be is an Essential to the Swordmage. Essentials are sort-of like Kits for certain classes. They've previewed a few of them already, and they seem like they're a kind of "add-on" to an existing class. For example, the Fighter had two Essentials: The Gladiator and the Knight. They both have a few different "class features" but they can utilize fighter powers, feats designed for fighters and so forth. The Wizard has something called The Mage in where they utilize schools of magic- Evocation, Illusion, Conjuration, etc... in which they're geared more toward that style of game play.

So based on those principals, I can easily see the Bladesinger as an essential to the Swordmage. They're probably geared more towards a Controller (using spells to control the battlefield or singling out major threats) while still being useful in melee combat. Just a guess.
Go to Top of Page

Lady Kazandra
Senior Scribe

Australia
921 Posts

Posted - 14 Aug 2010 :  08:19:25  Show Profile  Visit Lady Kazandra's Homepage Send Lady Kazandra a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This has made my day. Awesome news!

"Once upon a time the plural of 'wizard' was 'war'." -- The Last Continent, by Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 21 Sep 2010 :  02:00:55  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Erik Scott de Bie

Kyrene, I can't answer in exact detail, other than to suggest an interpretation of the FRCG text as saying Neverwinter was destroyed *at some point* (and there's been a lot of time since the Spellplague), and that "lies in ruins" has multiple possible meanings.

Other than that, you'll have to see!

Cheers

Now you've done it, Erik... you've gone and piqued my interest in a 4E Realms product... I'll have to figure out how you did that, so I can make it happen again, since it's likely to be the only Realms we see... I would still happily pay the cover price of a printed product for a nicely formatted and illustrated PDF copy of the complete Cormyr Lineage released separately from DnDI, however, so if you can take that back to the powers that be, it would be greatly appreciated.

Playing in the Realms since the Old Grey Box (1987)... and *still* having fun with material published before 2008, despite the NDA'd lore.

If it's comparable in power with non-magical abilities, it's not magic.
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 21 Sep 2010 :  15:12:13  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jakk

Now you've done it, Erik... you've gone and piqued my interest in a 4E Realms product... I'll have to figure out how you did that, so I can make it happen again, since it's likely to be the only Realms we see...
Well, not necessarily. I don't know about their planned publishing schedule, but one would hope this product does really well, and the Powers That Be (PTB) see it as a strong revenue source, so we see lots of Realms stuff in the future. It is a distinct possibility.

quote:
I would still happily pay the cover price of a printed product for a nicely formatted and illustrated PDF copy of the complete Cormyr Lineage released separately from DnDI, however, so if you can take that back to the powers that be, it would be greatly appreciated.
I absolutely agree with you, but the suggestion would carry more weight coming directly from you, a consumer, than me, a freelancer. If I were you, I'd hop onto the WotC boards and advocate for whatever you want--if it's the lineage, open a thread devoted to that topic.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

scererar
Master of Realmslore

USA
1618 Posts

Posted - 22 Sep 2010 :  03:37:18  Show Profile Send scererar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
excellent news indeed. one of my favorite areas of the realms to explore over the years.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000