Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 PATHFINDER fiction -- 'Book Club' poll
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 05 Aug 2010 :  02:40:38  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Poll Question:
Would you, as a resident Candlekeep scribe, welcome the opportunity to discuss PATHFINDER novels in the Book Club?

Wooly raised this point earlier, and it's something I've been thinking about as well. See, we're curious about the potential and reception for Book Club scrolls dedicated to the new line of PATHFINDER novels now being published by Paizo.

It's both my and Wooly's thinking, that since there are a fair degree of Realms contributing authors working with the new novel line, as well as the fact that we already allow discussions based on other PATHFINDER products here at Candlekeep, that chatting about the novels should also have a place as well.

So, we're putting it to the vote. And, if we receive enough positive feedback, I'll open the scrolls for discussing Prince of Wolves, just as soon as my copy arrives.

So start voting!

Choices:

Yes
No
Perhaps [or other] -- please elaborate

(Anonymous Vote)

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 05 Aug 2010 02:43:26

Sith_Lord_Drizzt
Seeker

Canada
92 Posts

Posted - 05 Aug 2010 :  03:12:39  Show Profile  Visit Sith_Lord_Drizzt's Homepage Send Sith_Lord_Drizzt a Private Message  Reply with Quote
First vote!!

"Jarlaxle's grin disappeared as he turned his attention to Drizzt. He watched the fury of the drow unleashed. Jarlaxle had seen Drizzt in action many times before, but never like that".
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 05 Aug 2010 :  03:58:46  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Heck yeah!

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 05 Aug 2010 :  04:38:15  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sith_Lord_Drizzt

First vote!!

Well, since I proposed it even before there was a poll, I'm thinking mine was the first vote.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 05 Aug 2010 :  04:44:19  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Especially since the first several authors are also esteemed Realms authors.

Errant d20 Designer - My Blog (last updated January 06, 2016)

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back. --Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Reference Document (PFRPG OGL Rules)
* The Hypertext d20 SRD (3.5 OGL Rules)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Heroes of the Jade Oath (PFRPG, conversion; Rite Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Martial Arts Guidebook (forthcoming) (PFRPG, designer; Rite Publishing)
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 05 Aug 2010 :  05:06:43  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think it is a good idea because the Forgotten Realms Candlekeep also collects information and has books concerning other worlds...

So THIS Candlekeep should reflect that idea as well!

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 05 Aug 2010 :  05:07:10  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes.... my evil plan is working!

First, get them to talk about Dark Sun, Dragonlance, Ravenloft and other settings. Then, turn the discussion to Pathfinder and Golarion. Finally introduce scrolls on BattleTech and other non-fantasy settings!

MWUH-hahahahahaha

I said that out loud, didn't I?

Ashe's Character Sheet

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 05 Aug 2010 :  05:28:00  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ashe Ravenheart

First, get them to talk about Dark Sun, Dragonlance, Ravenloft and other settings. Then, turn the discussion to Pathfinder and Golarion. Finally introduce scrolls on BattleTech and other non-fantasy settings!

MWUH-hahahahahaha

Heh. I've been attempting such for years, here at Candlekeep. Looks like I've found another proponent for my "Sage's School for Discussing Other Worlds At Candlekeep."

Go to Top of Page

Kyrene
Senior Scribe

South Africa
737 Posts

Posted - 05 Aug 2010 :  06:46:49  Show Profile  Visit Kyrene's Homepage Send Kyrene a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I voted "Perhaps" as I don't see myself reading (or discussing) any. I don't think it should be discouraged for those that do though.

Lost for words? Find them in the Glossary of Phrases, Sayings & Words of the Realms
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 05 Aug 2010 :  11:02:39  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Voted yes.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 05 Aug 2010 :  11:52:10  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

MWUH-hahahahahaha

Well, we have side-tracked more than one scroll to discuss BattleTech... Besides, it's always fun to point out that Clan Coyote and House Davion are the best factions, and the Cappies are the joke of BattleTech.

Go to Top of Page

Bakra
Senior Scribe

628 Posts

Posted - 05 Aug 2010 :  13:01:59  Show Profile Send Bakra a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:

MWUH-hahahahahaha

Heh. I've been attempting such for years, here at Candlekeep. Looks like I've found another proponent for my "Sage's School for Discussing Other Worlds At Candlekeep."

Add it to the top of your "To do" list.

I hope Candlekeep continues to be the friendly forum of fellow Realms-lovers that it has always been, as we all go through this together. If you don’t want to move to the “new” Realms, that doesn’t mean there’s anything wrong with either you or the “old” Realms. Goodness knows Candlekeep, and the hearts of its scribes, are both big enough to accommodate both. If we want them to be.
(Strikes dramatic pose, raises sword to gleam in the sunset, and hopes breeches won’t fall down.)
Enough for now. The Realms lives! I have spoken! Ale and light wines half price, served by a smiling Storm Silverhand fetchingly clad in thigh-high boots and naught else! Ahem . .
So saith Ed. <snip>
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 05 Aug 2010 :  13:10:45  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As long as they have their own shelf, so as not to push the realms novels farther down the screen and harder to find easily. After all, candle keep is in the realms

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 05 Aug 2010 :  13:51:32  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Well, we have side-tracked more than one scroll to discuss BattleTech... Besides, it's always fun to point out that Clan Coyote and House Davion are the best factions, and the Cappies are the joke of BattleTech.

Taking the train off the rails...

Well, a lot more things made sense to me when reading (I think) one of the Conspiracy sourcebooks and they mentioned that when the Cappies kidnapped Hanse in the early 31st century, they stole some 'genetic material' from him, which Romana Liao used to conceive Sun Tzu. So, the progeny of Hanse Davion have claims to all the thrones of the Inner Sphere (and Clan Wolf).

Ashe's Character Sheet

Edited by - Ashe Ravenheart on 05 Aug 2010 13:51:54
Go to Top of Page

GRYPHON
Senior Scribe

USA
527 Posts

Posted - 05 Aug 2010 :  14:44:16  Show Profile Send GRYPHON a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes...
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 05 Aug 2010 :  15:19:02  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

MWUH-hahahahahaha

Actually, given the "realities" of Inner Sphere life, now, in the near-post Jihad period, it's looking increasingly that the Davions will end up as the joke.
quote:
Originally posted by Bakra

Add it to the top of your "To do" list.
The Lady K uttered something the other day about avoiding adding new tasks onto my "To-Do" list for healthy reasons. But I just can't seem to help myself.

Edited by - The Sage on 05 Aug 2010 15:21:38
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 05 Aug 2010 :  15:21:11  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Well, a lot more things made sense to me when reading (I think) one of the Conspiracy sourcebooks and they mentioned that when the Cappies kidnapped Hanse in the early 31st century, they stole some 'genetic material' from him, which Romana Liao used to conceive Sun Tzu. So, the progeny of Hanse Davion have claims to all the thrones of the Inner Sphere (and Clan Wolf).

You're thinking of The Blake Documents. And it's worth pointing out that the writers of that particular tome have noted, many times on the official BT boards, that readers shouldn't give too much credence to those details.

In other words, while they are "canon," they aren't necessarily an accurate reflection of the truth. Take them with a grain of salt.

Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 05 Aug 2010 :  15:37:57  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

You're thinking of The Blake Documents. And it's worth pointing out that the writers of that particular tome have noted, many times on the official BT boards, that readers shouldn't give too much credence to those details.

In other words, while they are "canon," they aren't necessarily an accurate reflection of the truth. Take them with a grain of salt.

True... it's not 'fact', but I like to think it is since that means that they can all call each other cousin.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2010 :  05:16:02  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Bump!

I'm almost finished with Prince of Wolves.

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 10 Aug 2010 05:16:37
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2010 :  05:37:51  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Indeed. And we've had zero "No" votes, so I'm inclined to assume we'll go ahead with this.

I'm expecting my copy this week, some time, so I'll open the Book Club discussion scrolls when it arrives.

Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2010 :  02:18:06  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Will this club have it's own shelf or be mixed in with the current club?( even with the recent un-sticking of some scrolls, the current club is "crowded"enough when trying to locate scrolls)

If it going to be put in with the current book club scrolls, I would vote no most vigorously.

If it will be separate i'd say yea.

Edited by - The Red Walker on 11 Aug 2010 02:19:28
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2010 :  02:35:47  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm thinking we'll try to experiment a little with the discussion scrolls for Prince of Wolves. See how that works, mixed in with the current lot of other Book Club scrolls, and determine whether it works or not.

Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2010 :  02:51:21  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I'm thinking we'll try to experiment a little with the discussion scrolls for Prince of Wolves. See how that works, mixed in with the current lot of other Book Club scrolls, and determine whether it works or not.

Then my vote is no.

And apparently not the only no vote.

Edited by - The Red Walker on 11 Aug 2010 02:55:44
Go to Top of Page

Kilvan
Senior Scribe

Canada
894 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2010 :  03:05:47  Show Profile Send Kilvan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I dunno, while I wish Pathfinder's books to be a success, I'm with The Red Walker on this one. I think the book club shelf is loaded enough without novels from other settings. Or maybe make it a single scroll, instead of a 4-5 parts-scrolls, and add (Golarion) to the scroll's title.
Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2010 :  09:35:53  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't participate in the book club, so my vote doesn't matter all that much, but I am sceptical. If the novels for Pathfinder becomes a standard part of the cite, then the gaming products will probably get more attention to. And then there is little reason to not allow the discussions of other D&D worlds, is there? I am not saying this is a wholly negative thing, but it will make it more difficult to hold on to a "Realms-Only" policy which has been the standard until now.

Where does Alaundo stand on the question?
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2010 :  10:12:58  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I haven't asked him yet. I still want to give this poll about another week or so before I send word to Big Al.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2010 :  11:44:39  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jorkens

I don't participate in the book club, so my vote doesn't matter all that much, but I am sceptical. If the novels for Pathfinder becomes a standard part of the cite, then the gaming products will probably get more attention to. And then there is little reason to not allow the discussions of other D&D worlds, is there? I am not saying this is a wholly negative thing, but it will make it more difficult to hold on to a "Realms-Only" policy which has been the standard until now.

Well, we have allowed previous discussions of Golarion. And Golarion is unique among D&D settings in that many of the authors/designers that we were familiar with from an FR standpoint are now producing or have produced Golarion material.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2010 :  11:52:49  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Indeed. Which is why we've been pretty flexible with allowing discussions about PATHFINDER here in the past. So, thus, allowing discussion of the novels would be seen as an extension of that flexibility.

Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2010 :  11:54:07  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Jorkens

Well, we have allowed previous discussions of Golarion. And Golarion is unique among D&D settings in that many of the authors/designers that we were familiar with from an FR standpoint are now producing or have produced Golarion material.

Yes, but that has mostly been a thread here and there, including the novels in the book club is one step further. Many Realms writers write for the setting that's true, but there has been Realms writers in Star Wars, Runequest, various old TSR worlds etc. I don't mind Candlekeep being more open where other worlds/games are concerned, but it does make it more difficult to decide what is a part of standard Candlekeep discussions.
Go to Top of Page

Dave_Gross
Forgotten Realms Author

Canada
38 Posts

Posted - 14 Aug 2010 :  02:21:31  Show Profile  Visit Dave_Gross's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Call me biased, but I'm excited by the prospect.
Go to Top of Page

Brian R. James
Forgotten Realms Game Designer

USA
1098 Posts

Posted - 14 Aug 2010 :  03:28:30  Show Profile  Visit Brian R. James's Homepage Send Brian R. James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Quite a few present and former FR authors write Star War novels as well, but that doesn't mean I want to discuss them here at Candlekeep. I admit, I don't frequent these halls as much as I used to, but I'd hate to see this site stray from its Realms focus. The fact that the question is even being asked is telling in of itself.

Brian R. James - Freelance Game Designer

Follow me on Twitter @brianrjames
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000