Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms RPG Products
 Previous Edition Downloads -- Current Links
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2010 :  05:08:19  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Brimstone

So I couldnt find these articles:
Countdown to the Realms: Magic in the Forgotten Realms, Spellplgue the Wailing Years, and Year of the Ageless One.

Also cant find Grand History of the Realms: The Moonshaes.

Does anybody know where they went? Or did somebody save them somewhere?

As to where they moved them, I couldn't tell you. I've got copies of them, though -- PM me your addy and I'll send them to you.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 17 Nov 2010 05:15:46
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2010 :  05:45:28  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

So I couldnt find these articles:
Countdown to the Realms: Magic in the Forgotten Realms, Spellplgue the Wailing Years, and Year of the Ageless One.

Also cant find Grand History of the Realms: The Moonshaes.

Does anybody know where they went? Or did somebody save them somewhere?

That's strange, because I only just recently accessed the "Year of the Ageless One" article late last week... and using the old archived address I'd had stored for over a year.

Anyways, Brimstone, you should know by now that if you're looking for anything like this, either Wooly or myself stand ready to assist.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 21 Nov 2010 :  09:34:48  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I can't find those articles. I would hate for the Realmslore in those articles to disappear. It's frustrating how careless WotC is with the non DDI Realms articles in my opinion. I would like to add those links to the first post on this scroll if I can.

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 21 Nov 2010 :  16:05:42  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
From the Wayback Machine (remember to copy & paste starting at http, the link info doesn't work because of the nature of the link):

Countdown to the Realms
Magic of the Realms - www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/drfe/20080130a&pf=true" target="_blank">http://web.archive.org/web/20080217023703/www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/drfe/20080130a&pf=true
Spellplague: The Wailing Years - www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/drfe/20080227a&pf=true" target="_blank">http://web.archive.org/web/20080304014127/www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/drfe/20080227a&pf=true
Year of the Ageless One - www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/drfe/20080111a&pf=true" target="_blank">http://web.archive.org/web/20080310195729/www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/drfe/20080111a&pf=true

I linked to the Printer Friendly versions so it saves on ink. If you want, email me through my account here with your email address and I can send you the PDF copies I made.

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs

Edited by - Ashe Ravenheart on 21 Nov 2010 16:07:56
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 21 Nov 2010 :  21:12:28  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
PM sent.

Thanks guys.

Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

UkplayerX
Acolyte

United Kingdom
2 Posts

Posted - 29 Nov 2010 :  16:34:06  Show Profile  Visit UkplayerX's Homepage Send UkplayerX a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If you know where to look you can get nearly all the 1,2 and 3e FRCS stuff!! The_Silversword knows what i mean!!
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 29 Nov 2010 :  18:34:51  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by UkplayerX

If you know where to look you can get nearly all the 1,2 and 3e FRCS stuff!! The_Silversword knows what i mean!!

I hope you're only referring to legally available material, because we neither encourage nor condone discussions of illegal downloads.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 29 Nov 2010 :  23:32:27  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by UkplayerX

I hope you're only referring to legally available material, because we neither encourage nor condone discussions of illegal downloads.

Seconded. Let's try to adhere to the dictates of the Candlekeep Code of Conduct in this matter.

Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 10 Dec 2010 :  04:57:11  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
We would never do anything without the approval of the Senate

Misanthorpe

Love is a lie. Only hate endures. Light is blinding. Only in darkness do we see clearly.

"Oh, you think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it, molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man, by then it was nothing to me but.. blinding. The shadows betray you because they belong to me." - Bane The Dark Knight Rises

Green Dragonscale Dice Bag by Crystalsidyll - check it out

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 10 Dec 2010 :  06:09:43  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
"I will make it legal."

Go to Top of Page

Matt James
Forgotten Realms Game Designer

USA
918 Posts

Posted - 10 Dec 2010 :  19:20:56  Show Profile Send Matt James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Fellfire

We would never do anything without the approval of the Senate

Sorry, this literally made me laugh out loud. I love CK :)
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7970 Posts

Posted - 22 Dec 2010 :  08:50:45  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm under the impression that everything from the www.wizards.com website is still legal?

It seems to me that if a decision was made to discontinue the official downloads or make them "illegal" then they would be entirely removed from the webserver, or require some sort of password to access/unlock/decrypt them. The content itself is still there - where the public and the search engines can easily retrieve it - even if the links which lead to it are bad, dead, or simply gone. True or false?

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 22 Dec 2010 :  09:04:03  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So long as it's still available from Wizards, and we've had no "cease and desist" -styled orders, it's all still legal.

Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7970 Posts

Posted - 22 Dec 2010 :  09:19:33  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And now the trickier question. Candlekeep obviously does not condone links to pirated material. But what of material that was once *free official downloads* and has since been culled away without any official comment or response? Both from TSR/Wizards and from third parties? Does Candlekeep assert an official position on posting links to archives of such material?

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 22 Dec 2010 :  11:44:41  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd just assume that we avoid posting such links... just to play it safe, or until official confirmation can be obtained.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 22 Dec 2010 :  11:55:14  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Arik

And now the trickier question. Candlekeep obviously does not condone links to pirated material. But what of material that was once *free official downloads* and has since been culled away without any official comment or response? Both from TSR/Wizards and from third parties? Does Candlekeep assert an official position on posting links to archives of such material?

So far as I know, the only legal free source I know of for old TSR/WotC downloads is the WotC site itself.

That's one of the points that not everyone seems to get: it doesn't matter if something is free or not, what matters is whether or not someone was given the rights to distribute the material. If they weren't licensed to distribute TSR/WotC's material, then they cannot legally do so, and we can not condone sending people to the site. Even with no money changing hands, if they aren't licensed to distribute the material, it's piracy.

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 22 Dec 2010 11:56:23
Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 23 Dec 2010 :  05:14:00  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And in my opinion, it's why we need a revision of copyright law to account for the ease of distribution of digital media. If a publisher isn't going to keep a product "in print" in some form (including PDF or even just an electronic plain-text file), then their copyright should expire immediately. This should apply to previous versions of revised publications as well, of course, such as (in this case) previous editions. Keeping publications electronically available for a nominal fee is easy to do, and maybe it would be taken more seriously if it meant the survival of the copyright on said publications. But then, I'm a left-wing pseudo-anarchist, so maybe my politics are affecting my perspective on copyright law here.

Edit: Either way, until the Edition Police kick down my door and repossess my hard copy library, I'm content to simply ignore the new product being turned out. In the event of such a thing happening, it would probably motivate me to take up a more Machiavellian hobby. The unfortunate thing is that, for newer players who missed out on the older products, there is no legal recourse.

Playing in the Realms since the Old Grey Box (1987)... and *still* having fun with material published before 2008, despite the NDA'd lore.

If it's comparable in power with non-magical abilities, it's not magic.

Edited by - Jakk on 23 Dec 2010 05:19:42
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7970 Posts

Posted - 23 Dec 2010 :  05:51:38  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, there is a legal recourse - they can purchase the physical old-edition copies from eBay/etc. Transfer of ownership, private sales, perfectly legal (even where products, like software, have eula/disclaimers which claim otherwise, which aren't legally enforceable most places in North America, btw). Your proposed copyright revisions aren't workable, Jakk (which is to say that although the MPAA/RIAA would love to write such stuff into their DMCA, it's probably "too unfair" for the consumers to accept without a lot of sugar-coated lobbying).

Of course obtaining a full set of lost edition rulebooks is not cheap. Especially since the grognards and collectors are always hunting for 'em as well. Besides, the kids want the snazzy artwork, better organization, and easy-to-digest text windows of the newer editions*; old Gygax books are stuffy and convoluted and impossibly arbitrary in comparison, and aren't going to draw in new players.

* I'd almost be willing to bet that the way to finally kill piracy of old D&D stuff would be to actually provide free official downloads of the material - ugly plaintext; stripped of all illustration, formatting, and nicety. Nobody's going to bother to scan and distribute or download stuff that's already officially available, yet the "market" will still want to buy the latest/greatest print edition they can get.

Hmphf, edition police. Bah.

They can have my 1E Dungeon Master's Guide when they pry it from my cold, undead hands.

[/Ayrik]

Edited by - Ayrik on 23 Dec 2010 05:55:09
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7970 Posts

Posted - 01 Jan 2011 :  07:25:19  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I recently discovered the Wizards Adventure Archive. Tons of modules, old and new(er), official free downloads.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 29 May 2011 :  08:29:30  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Bump!

Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 20 Aug 2011 :  02:07:00  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This scroll is stickied, so it's not really necessary to bump it.

Go to Top of Page

bladeinAmn
Learned Scribe

199 Posts

Posted - 07 Sep 2011 :  20:35:49  Show Profile  Visit bladeinAmn's Homepage Send bladeinAmn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
http://web.archive.org/web/20050403143759/http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/dnd/downloads
Copy & paste it into your brownser heading.
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 07 Sep 2011 :  21:56:16  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Anyone remember "Terrible Trouble at Tragidore?" My first adventure :)

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Amazon "KindleUnlimited" Free Trial: http://amzn.to/2AJ4yD2

Try Audible and Get 2 Free Audio Books! https://amzn.to/2IgBede
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7970 Posts

Posted - 07 Sep 2011 :  22:11:20  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would suggest downloading every link in this scroll while you still can. Even the Wayback Machine must conform to legal demands (and polite requests) made by copyright holders ... Wizbro has removed all this material from their site (which would've required very deliberate and methodical effort on their part), and one never knows when Wizbro will decide to politely ask/threaten archive sites to remove all non-current non-DDI material from public domain forever.

[/Ayrik]

Edited by - Ayrik on 07 Sep 2011 22:12:54
Go to Top of Page

Thelonius
Senior Scribe

Spain
730 Posts

Posted - 07 Sep 2011 :  22:31:39  Show Profile Send Thelonius a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I already downloaded everything when I saw some of the material gone. you never know when you are gonna need some Realms extra material

"If you are to truly understand, then you will need the contrast, not adherence to a single ideal." - Kreia
"I THINK I JUST HAD ANOTHER NEAR-RINCEWIND EXPERIENCE"- Discworld's Death frustrated after Rincewind scapes his grasp... again.
"I am death, come for thee" - Nimbul, from Baldur's Gate I just before being badly spanked
Sapientia sola libertas est
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 08 Sep 2011 :  04:59:48  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ayrik

I would suggest downloading every link in this scroll while you still can. Even the Wayback Machine must conform to legal demands (and polite requests) made by copyright holders ... Wizbro has removed all this material from their site (which would've required very deliberate and methodical effort on their part), and one never knows when Wizbro will decide to politely ask/threaten archive sites to remove all non-current non-DDI material from public domain forever.

I'm not convinced it's gone from their site... I've mentioned more than once files that were posted on the Wizards site back in 2000, that no longer have links -- or even references to them! -- anywhere on the Wizards site, but that are still out there. Wizards has a long history of shuffling stuff around without bothering to update anything, and I think that's what's happened here. Seriously, if this stuff was going to be taken down, it should have happened at the same time as the inexplicable decision to suspend all legal pdf sales.

Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7970 Posts

Posted - 08 Sep 2011 :  05:30:39  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You may be right, Wooly, but I strongly suspect this time you aren't. If Wizards still has ye olde 2E material (for example) anywhere on their site they have very explicitly instructed the google bots to avoid and unlist it. A specific example might be a complex google search for Volo's Guide to All Things Magical ... if the search engines cannot index the material then it might as well not exist. I have of course tried it with other documents I know once existed, I have of course tried it with several other search engines I trust, I happily invite you to look deeper and wish you luck in finding any cryptic new links which might exist. These explicit search parameters have never failed before, but now they strongly hint that the material is quite simply removed from public domain.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Thieran
Learned Scribe

Germany
293 Posts

Posted - 08 Sep 2011 :  15:24:21  Show Profile Send Thieran a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I concur with Ayrik, as I made a similar experience recently.
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 09 Sep 2011 :  16:32:58  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bladeinAmn

http://web.archive.org/web/20050403143759/http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/dnd/downloads

Cool. I think there was some issues going on the wizards site as to whether these PDF's are still legal. People were getting banned for posting that link.

I have been busy. Moved. This is the first internet access I have had from home, and not at work. Then my mother died on monday, and had all of that stuff going on.

Been one hell of a week.

Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 09 Sep 2011 :  17:16:52  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by bladeinAmn

Cool. I think there was some issues going on the wizards site as to whether these PDF's are still legal. People were getting banned for posting that link.

Banned? Wow... Maybe they did take those files down, then... Though I'm still curious as to why they'd wait so long after the inexplicable cancelling of sales of existing pdfs...

quote:

I have been busy. Moved. This is the first internet access I have had from home, and not at work. Then my mother died on monday, and had all of that stuff going on.

Been one hell of a week.

My sympathies to you and your family.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000