Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms RPG Products
 Musings on Neverwinter
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Old Man Harpell
Senior Scribe

USA
495 Posts

Posted - 31 Aug 2011 :  08:57:02  Show Profile Send Old Man Harpell a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
This is an equivalent of 'thinking out loud'...so while I will try not to ramble, I make no apologies if I do.

Wizbro's business model for 'settings', as I understand it, is one each of the following:

* Campaign setting
* Player's guide
* Adventure

...and that's it. Fair enough. Now, that means (seemingly) that the Neverwinter Campaign Setting, while in the Realms, is not a 'Realms product' per se. In other words, it does not count against the number of Realms products (all three of which are already produced and on the market).

Okay...so that means we still need a Player's Guide and an adventure booklet for Neverwinter.

Chosen of Asmodeus has remarked that the orcs of Many-Arrows got short-sheeted, player-character-wise, in the Campaign book (I paraphrase, of course). While I am not inclined, personally, to play orcs (and would thus not miss them), his contention that a Character Theme for orc and (much more likely) half-orc player characters is something that should be given as an option makes a good deal of sense - why introduce an element of a story if you don't plan on actually doing anything with it? The Character Theme 'Many-Arrows Legionnaire' (or what have you) could be one of the new Themes presented (along with any others that seem appropriate).

The Player's Guide to Neverwinter could address this, as well as further explore certain aspects and locations around Neverwinter itself. Areas left untouched in the Campaign book could be given detail - Highcliff (still inhabited, and supplies food to Neverember) and Highcliff Castle, for instance. Some that were briefly touched on could be filled in a bit more - Old Owl Well and Port Llast come to mind. And maybe an expanded look at Helm's Hold, with some maps and character background options, as well as some adventure seeds.

The Adventure Booklet could be almost anything...maybe an outpost of Delzoun reclaimed, or finding out the truth in Port Llast, or maybe battling some Abolethic plot that involves a sinister and tortured reincarnation of Shandra Jerro, who has filled her grandfather's reconstructed haven with Far Realms nightmares and plans a slow absorption of the northern Sword Coast.

And of course, this leads to a further speculation. Will we perhaps see, in the future, a Campaign Setting for:

* Baldur's Gate (yes, please )
* Moonsea
* High Imaskar

...and so forth. A setting for Baldur's Gate could, for example, revisit such locales as Beregost, Cloakwood, Friendly Arm, Ulgoth's Beard, High Hedge, and, naturally, Candlekeep (amongst others) - this would appeal to those who were introduced to the Realms via BioWare and Black Isle Studios.

Maybe I'm seeing a pattern for more Realms material that isn't actually there, and the Neverwinter campaign Guide is it - but I hope not. I do like the way it was presented, and it more or less continues to preserve the integrity of the Sword Coast North from the brutal world-smashing changes of Fourth Edition. I think that further 'Campaign Settings' could continue what I see as a 'slow repair' process of our beloved Realms. It is efforts like this that have prevented me from giving up on the latest Realms iteration altogether.

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7969 Posts

Posted - 31 Aug 2011 :  09:10:25  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Business needs to be adaptive, policies need to be revised, expanding (or revitalizing) lucrative markets always involves some amount of experimentation and risk. Marketing teams (and politicians) are notorious for saying they'll do things without doing them and for doing things they said they never would. Apparently they perceived a demand (or created an opportunity) for a Neverwinter lorebook ... if it bombs they'll revert to their older paradigm, if it does well we'll undoubtedly see more, mayhap we will indeed see a Baldur's Gate Campaign Guide.

WotC isn't publishing an encyclopedia set with a fixed number of letters in the alphabet. They're providing a dynamic fantasy world which has to change from time to time to remain vital. They also have to keep putting things on store shelves if they want to pay their bills, no matter how much the staff may profess to love the Realms in the end they're a business and not a charity.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Tasker Daze
Seeker

84 Posts

Posted - 31 Aug 2011 :  11:19:54  Show Profile Send Tasker Daze a Private Message  Reply with Quote
THere's a Neverwinter computer game coming out.

Do the math.

Go to Top of Page

Quale
Master of Realmslore

1757 Posts

Posted - 31 Aug 2011 :  12:26:45  Show Profile Send Quale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Baldur's Gate Campaign Guide sounds even better, that was one of the improved parts of the new Realms, tough many would disagree
Go to Top of Page

Old Man Harpell
Senior Scribe

USA
495 Posts

Posted - 31 Aug 2011 :  14:08:48  Show Profile Send Old Man Harpell a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tasker Daze

THere's a Neverwinter computer game coming out.

Do the math.

You are approaching it from a standpoint that utilizes both logic and the obvious. It is very possible that there is some bizarre arcane formula at Wizbro that they are using to make these decisions. Ayrik is also speaking from a standpoint of logic and knowledge of how the market works...but that does not necessarily encompass 'calculated gambles'.

I am slightly worried that someone will make a decision akin to the 'NGE' of Star Wars Galaxies - a 'calculated gamble' that backfired horrifically (the Sellplague was a 'calculated gamble' along similar lines of reasoning, although not the ethical sink that SOE's decision was) - wiping out all the good work we see in products like Neverwinter.

Regardless, the point was more along the lines of what sorts of things can be done to expand upon the excellent ideas that we see in Neverwinter and continue to preserve the integrity of the Sword Coast as a preferred adventuring region, as opposed to examples of business formats and so forth (I once owned a small business...I am all too painfully aware of how the market works).
As well as seeing what sorts of ideas people favor for things like this. Representative samples are also part of the market - if we don't let them know what we'd like to see, all the wishing and wanting in the cosmos is pointless.
Go to Top of Page

Marc
Senior Scribe

657 Posts

Posted - 31 Aug 2011 :  15:30:49  Show Profile Send Marc a Private Message  Reply with Quote
How about an expansion to Neverwinter: Icewind Dale Campaign Guide. Put R.A.'s name on the book and profit.

Go to Top of Page

Old Man Harpell
Senior Scribe

USA
495 Posts

Posted - 31 Aug 2011 :  20:44:37  Show Profile Send Old Man Harpell a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Marc

How about an expansion to Neverwinter: Icewind Dale Campaign Guide. Put R.A.'s name on the book and profit.

That sounds like a superb idea. A guide like that would also give an opportunity to expand upon Many-Arrows itself.
Go to Top of Page

Milith holder of HB8
Seeker

USA
63 Posts

Posted - 03 Sep 2011 :  02:21:28  Show Profile  Visit Milith holder of HB8's Homepage Send Milith holder of HB8 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wait, that's supposed to be a ruined city? It looks better than bleeping Baltimore. The hell?

Mind, great job by the artist. I was just sorta lead to believe that Neverwinter was maybe two steps above Luskan.

EDIT:

http://www.exploreneverwinter.com/Videos.aspx?t=1

Never mind, that looks bleeping awesome. Good show Wizards. Even though I'm pretty sure that doesn't at all look like Neverwinter in the previous games. But then again, I suppose I can't really blame them for not strictly following that.

Hey, babe, see my shiny teeth as I smile my very best wolf smile- Ed Greenwood.

Edited by - Milith holder of HB8 on 03 Sep 2011 02:25:48
Go to Top of Page

Old Man Harpell
Senior Scribe

USA
495 Posts

Posted - 04 Sep 2011 :  02:56:13  Show Profile Send Old Man Harpell a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Milith holder of HB8

Wait, that's supposed to be a ruined city? It looks better than bleeping Baltimore. The hell?

Mind, great job by the artist. I was just sorta lead to believe that Neverwinter was maybe two steps above Luskan.

EDIT:

http://www.exploreneverwinter.com/Videos.aspx?t=1

Never mind, that looks bleeping awesome. Good show Wizards. Even though I'm pretty sure that doesn't at all look like Neverwinter in the previous games. But then again, I suppose I can't really blame them for not strictly following that.

Well, it IS a hundred years later. On the one hand, Atari is out of the picture. This is Good. On the other hand, PWI is an unknown entity concerning games they did not initiate. Perhaps not Good.

I am wondering if Wizbro is biding its time on further Neverwinter products until it sees how the game plays out.
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 04 Sep 2011 :  04:27:36  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I want to state, for the record, that I will burst into flames with joy if I get to work on the hypothetical Icewind Dale Campaign Setting. (Do it, WotC! Do it!)

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7969 Posts

Posted - 04 Sep 2011 :  06:48:55  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You cry tears of flame?

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 04 Sep 2011 :  09:21:19  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What about a Baldur's Gate Setting?

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Tyranthraxus
Senior Scribe

Netherlands
423 Posts

Posted - 04 Sep 2011 :  14:20:09  Show Profile  Visit Tyranthraxus's Homepage Send Tyranthraxus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Brimstone

That would be great.
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 04 Sep 2011 :  19:04:33  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tyranthraxus

quote:

That would be great.
Seconded!

And yes, on the tears of flame. Terribly inconvenient.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

Old Man Harpell
Senior Scribe

USA
495 Posts

Posted - 04 Sep 2011 :  19:43:24  Show Profile Send Old Man Harpell a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Erik Scott de Bie

quote:
Originally posted by Tyranthraxus

quote:

That would be great.
Seconded!

And yes, on the tears of flame. Terribly inconvenient.

Cheers

Motion carries. Make it so. (Don't we wish.)

I won't say that Wizbro has a guaranteed gold mine awaiting with the release of these products - but the potential is certainly there. I know of three people who have picked up the Neverwinter Campaign Setting based solely on the fact that I had nothing bad to say about it. Flattering, I suppose, but the real credit goes to the authors, who put out something worthy of purchase.

It means that Wizbro needs to get these same people started on Icewind Dale and Baldur's Gate[/i].

Edited by - Old Man Harpell on 04 Sep 2011 19:46:33
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 04 Sep 2011 :  20:15:40  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, go on the WotC boards and advocate for what you want! I can't guarantee it'll happen, but WotC *is* listening.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

Old Man Harpell
Senior Scribe

USA
495 Posts

Posted - 05 Sep 2011 :  00:48:33  Show Profile Send Old Man Harpell a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Well, go on the WotC boards and advocate for what you want! I can't guarantee it'll happen, but WotC *is* listening.

Cheers

I am hoping you needn't be a DDI subscriber to post on the Wizards board? Simply register, and off you go?
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 05 Sep 2011 :  01:22:23  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Old Man Harpell

quote:

Cheers

I am hoping you needn't be a DDI subscriber to post on the Wizards board? Simply register, and off you go?

The Wizards' boards do not require you to have a DDI subscription. But it does make things easier when user-specific content is posted to certain sections of the DDI, which can be referenced directly from the forums.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Old Man Harpell
Senior Scribe

USA
495 Posts

Posted - 05 Sep 2011 :  03:16:08  Show Profile Send Old Man Harpell a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:
Originally posted by Old Man Harpell

quote:

Cheers

The Wizards' boards do not require you to have a DDI subscription. But it does make things easier when user-specific content is posted to certain sections of the DDI, which can be referenced directly from the forums.

Ahhh, that makes sense. Thank you, Sage. I will see what the Boss's opinion is, or if she approves of the idea.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000