Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Gauntlgrym: Neverwinter, Book I -- SPOILERS
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

Sith_Lord_Drizzt
Seeker

Canada
92 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2010 :  16:36:57  Show Profile  Visit Sith_Lord_Drizzt's Homepage Send Sith_Lord_Drizzt a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I just saw this on the Chapters.ca site and thought I'd share it. I'm really excited about reading this after I saw the description!

From the Publisher

Drizzt joins Bruenor on his quest for the fabled dwarven kingdom of Gauntlgrym: ruins said to be rich with ancient treasure and arcane lore. But before they even get close, another drow and dwarf pair stumbles across it first: Jarlaxle and Athrogate. In their search for treasure and magic, Jarlaxle and Athrogate inadvertently set into motion a catastrophe that could spell disaster for the unsuspecting people of the city of Neverwinter—a catastrophe big enough to lure even the mercenary Jarlaxle into risking his own coin and skin to stop it. Unfortunately, the more they uncover about the secret of Gauntlgrym, the more it looks like they can’t stop it on their own. They’ll need help, and from the last people they ever thought to fight alongside again: Drizzt and Bruenor.

"Jarlaxle's grin disappeared as he turned his attention to Drizzt. He watched the fury of the drow unleashed. Jarlaxle had seen Drizzt in action many times before, but never like that".

Edited by - Sith_Lord_Drizzt on 01 Nov 2010 18:24:28

hahahax
Acolyte

8 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2010 :  18:20:53  Show Profile  Visit hahahax's Homepage Send hahahax a Private Message  Reply with Quote
neverwinter

no entreri again
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4430 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2010 :  19:03:56  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, at least it's not a novel set in the current date of the Realms for those who've not cared for the post-spellplague setting. Additionally, it might give some good bit of "fluff" for the area and let us know exactly what happened to Neverwinter.

I'm looking forward to it.

P.S. Another novel starring or involving Entreri would be awesome and I hope R.A. visits that character soon. I'd love to see how the Shaodw has affected him and made him a better assassin. I mean, the 4e Assassin class just oozes Artemis.
Go to Top of Page

Bakra
Senior Scribe

628 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2010 :  19:21:57  Show Profile Send Bakra a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Diffan

Well, at least it's not a novel set in the current date of the Realms for those who've not cared for the post-spellplague setting. Additionally, it might give some good bit of "fluff" for the area and let us know exactly what happened to Neverwinter.

I'm looking forward to it.

What makes you think it isn't set Post-spellplague?
Pure speculation on my part but this could be the novel that describes Bruenor's death before 1480 DR.
And I always look forward to any information on Neverwinter.

I hope Candlekeep continues to be the friendly forum of fellow Realms-lovers that it has always been, as we all go through this together. If you don’t want to move to the “new” Realms, that doesn’t mean there’s anything wrong with either you or the “old” Realms. Goodness knows Candlekeep, and the hearts of its scribes, are both big enough to accommodate both. If we want them to be.
(Strikes dramatic pose, raises sword to gleam in the sunset, and hopes breeches won’t fall down.)
Enough for now. The Realms lives! I have spoken! Ale and light wines half price, served by a smiling Storm Silverhand fetchingly clad in thigh-high boots and naught else! Ahem . .
So saith Ed. <snip>
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

jornan
Learned Scribe

Canada
256 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2010 :  22:32:20  Show Profile Send jornan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Considering the Spellplague was well underway in The Ghost King and the current year was portrayed in the prologue and epilogue of The Orc King, I would say its fair to assume this book will be set current year or very close to it.
Go to Top of Page

Sith_Lord_Drizzt
Seeker

Canada
92 Posts

Posted - 23 Jul 2010 :  15:33:01  Show Profile  Visit Sith_Lord_Drizzt's Homepage Send Sith_Lord_Drizzt a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm kind of hoping that it's in present time. It would be refreshing to get out of the whole Cattibrie and Wulfgar era.

"Jarlaxle's grin disappeared as he turned his attention to Drizzt. He watched the fury of the drow unleashed. Jarlaxle had seen Drizzt in action many times before, but never like that".
Go to Top of Page

Slaygrim
Learned Scribe

111 Posts

Posted - 23 Jul 2010 :  16:02:01  Show Profile  Visit Slaygrim's Homepage Send Slaygrim a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sith_Lord_Drizzt

I'm kind of hoping that it's in present time. It would be refreshing to get out of the whole Cattibrie and Wulfgar era.

Agreed, but I won't hold my breath. I'm still half expecting the return of Wulfgar, Cat, Regis, or a combination thereof.

I really would like to see a fresh perspective on Drizzt. One with a new cast and one not tied down to a leader or King as a best friend. Having to explain King Bruenor leaving his station as King of Mithril Hall and walking the road into danger is getting a bit tired. Either you are King or you are not. An occassional sabattical might be explained but to do it every novel... just pass off your duties and retire.

Just my exhausted opinion.

Watch my gorgeous wife sing at:
www.youtube.com/Airicx
Go to Top of Page

jornan
Learned Scribe

Canada
256 Posts

Posted - 23 Jul 2010 :  21:50:41  Show Profile Send jornan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I thought we were finally done with Catti-Brie and Regis after The Ghost King, but then RAS's short story in the Realms of the Undead made me cringe with the possibility that they could be brought back. Drizzt needs new companions and maybe even a new geographic area opf the realms to revitalize the series (Myth Drannor?)

I'll read and enjoy the story regardless...but I would like it moreso if things changed a little.
Go to Top of Page

BEAST
Master of Realmslore

USA
1714 Posts

Posted - 24 Jul 2010 :  03:35:30  Show Profile  Visit BEAST's Homepage Send BEAST a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Some possible teaser material on this novel follows, from a promotional chat session around the time of the release of The Ghost King:
quote:
[...]

7:06RASalvatore: [...] The book I'm writing right now advances the timeline greatly, catching up to the Realms.

[...]

7:07RASalvatore: Last book currently under contract with WotC.

[...]

7:19[Comment From Nanron: ] Can/will you tell us about the final book on your Wizards contract?

[...]

7:21RASalvatore: Actually, seriously, I'm pretty jacked about the last book. Wizards has asked me to do something I think is very cool, and right up my alley.

[...] (<Live Chat: R.A. Salvatore>, 16-OCT-2009, Suvudu.com)

So that makes it sound like Gauntlgrym will be moving pretty far ahead in the timeline.

"'You don't know my history,' he said dryly."
--Drizzt Do'Urden (The Pirate King, Part 1: Chapter 2)

<"Comprehensive Chronology of R.A. Salvatore Forgotten Realms Works">
Go to Top of Page

Lady Fellshot
Senior Scribe

USA
379 Posts

Posted - 24 Jul 2010 :  15:52:06  Show Profile  Visit Lady Fellshot's Homepage Send Lady Fellshot a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well there's only one thing to do about this. *adds to list of "to bookflog"*

Rants and reviews that interest no one may be found here.
Go to Top of Page

BARDOBARBAROS
Senior Scribe

Greece
581 Posts

Posted - 24 Jul 2010 :  16:03:32  Show Profile  Visit BARDOBARBAROS's Homepage Send BARDOBARBAROS a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I will wait to read the story and then tell my opinion...

BARDOBARBAROS DOES NOT KILL.
HE DECAPITATES!!!

"The city changes, but the fools within it remain always the same" (Edwin Odesseiron- Baldur's gate 2)
Go to Top of Page

Sith_Lord_Drizzt
Seeker

Canada
92 Posts

Posted - 24 Jul 2010 :  23:36:36  Show Profile  Visit Sith_Lord_Drizzt's Homepage Send Sith_Lord_Drizzt a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was waiting for a reply from you Beast! As usual you have all the info on Drizzt. Now I'm even more excited!

Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4430 Posts

Posted - 26 Jul 2010 :  20:21:17  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm pretty psyched too, but I still have yet to read the Ghost King (its on my to-do list).

And I for one agree that I hope Drizzt moves on past the old companions of the Hall and onto something completly different. Change is something that is much needed IMO.
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 26 Jul 2010 :  21:55:14  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BEAST

Some possible teaser material on this novel follows, from a promotional chat session around the time of the release of The Ghost King:
quote:
[...]

7:06RASalvatore: [...] The book I'm writing right now advances the timeline greatly, catching up to the Realms.

[...]

7:07RASalvatore: Last book currently under contract with WotC.
[...]

7:19[Comment From Nanron: ] Can/will you tell us about the final book on your Wizards contract?

[...]

7:21RASalvatore: Actually, seriously, I'm pretty jacked about the last book. Wizards has asked me to do something I think is very cool, and right up my alley.

[...] (<Live Chat: R.A. Salvatore>, 16-OCT-2009, Suvudu.com)

So that makes it sound like Gauntlgrym will be moving pretty far ahead in the timeline.

Empasis mine :

I thought he was under contract for 5 more after this? (but not at the time of this chat or?)

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963

Edited by - The Red Walker on 26 Jul 2010 21:56:41
Go to Top of Page

Slaygrim
Learned Scribe

111 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2010 :  19:16:58  Show Profile  Visit Slaygrim's Homepage Send Slaygrim a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I'm pretty psyched too, but I still have yet to read the Ghost King (its on my to-do list).

And I for one agree that I hope Drizzt moves on past the old companions of the Hall and onto something completly different. Change is something that is much needed IMO.

Once again, I am glad I am not the only one who feels this way. Bob's creation is his creation and I would never suggest he shouldn't do what he wants to with his story. Having said that my interest as a fan has been on a RAPID decline for the Companions of the Hall and all of the usual suspects being forced into every storyline.
I've actually found myself skipping through many scenes in the Ghost King-which I am currently reading. Most of them are the large battles. I don't know... guess I've just read so many battle scenes to where I just want to get through them and back onto the storyline and dialogue.

A new setting and new characters would be a huge breath of fresh air for Drizzt and the 100-year jump provides an excuse for this. Bruenor would be over 300 so there is even a reason for his absense. No Wulfgar, no Cat, no Regis... and without them there really is no reason for Drizzt to continue hanging out at Mithril Hall making 100 journeys to and from Silverymoon. Heck, even Alustriel is gone!

BUT... considering it's about Gauntlgrym I assume that Bruenor will be a part of it as well as Athrogate. Pwent would be very old as he was MUCH older than Bruenor according to his first appearence in The Legacy. I certainly wouldn't be surprised to see Jarlaxle as well.

www.youtube.com/Airicx
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2010 :  21:59:07  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Slaygrim

quote:

Once again, I am glad I am not the only one who feels this way. Bob's creation is his creation and I would never suggest he shouldn't do what he wants to with his story. Having said that my interest as a fan has been on a RAPID decline for the Companions of the Hall and all of the usual suspects being forced into every storyline.
I've actually found myself skipping through many scenes in the Ghost King-which I am currently reading. Most of them are the large battles. I don't know... guess I've just read so many battle scenes to where I just want to get through them and back onto the storyline and dialogue.

A new setting and new characters would be a huge breath of fresh air for Drizzt and the 100-year jump provides an excuse for this. Bruenor would be over 300 so there is even a reason for his absense. No Wulfgar, no Cat, no Regis... and without them there really is no reason for Drizzt to continue hanging out at Mithril Hall making 100 journeys to and from Silverymoon. Heck, even Alustriel is gone!

BUT... considering it's about Gauntlgrym I assume that Bruenor will be a part of it as well as Athrogate. Pwent would be very old as he was MUCH older than Bruenor according to his first appearence in The Legacy. I certainly wouldn't be surprised to see Jarlaxle as well.

Bruenor is in it as well as Jarlaxle and Athrogate.

Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4430 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2010 :  22:03:23  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Yea, I find that I need to be in a "mood" to read Drizzt and RAS's work in general. I've read alot of what he's written (FR and other settings) and taking a break from Drizzt and Co. is required after reading a novel or even trilogy of his characters. I feel the books are written rather well and sometimes larger than life (its called Fantasy for a reason!!) but I need it in small doses. And from reading The Pirate King, I was actually suprised and happy that Drizzt wasn't the main show and actually disappeard for quite some time during the major battle scenes.

quote:

Yea, no doubt we'll see Breunor but I don't mind that seeing as we didn't get all that much detail about his reign and passing from the FRCG of 4E so some closure is needed there if you ask me. I do like Athrogates character though and am quite happy to see that guy in more books.

And because Drizzt ties with Mithral Hall are pretty much through in 1479 DR, I'd love to hear some new adventures of him in other parts of the Realms (like others have mentioned) and see him get more involved with the Post Spell-plague Realms as a whole.
Go to Top of Page

Drizztsmanchild
Learned Scribe

USA
228 Posts

Posted - 28 Jul 2010 :  11:02:32  Show Profile  Visit Drizztsmanchild's Homepage Send Drizztsmanchild a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Red Walker: RAS is indeed on sched for 5 more Drizzt novels....and yes the dates of the interview were in 2009....he re upped this year....Hope that answers the "?'s"
Go to Top of Page

Slaygrim
Learned Scribe

111 Posts

Posted - 28 Jul 2010 :  14:52:04  Show Profile  Visit Slaygrim's Homepage Send Slaygrim a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am not opposed to more Drizzt books... as a fan I am still interested in Drizzt. What I have lost interest in as a fan is the same old routine. Drizzt's tale has lost any sense of "newness" for me. It's an endless recycling of the same stuff to me. Not just the same hero's and same villains, but the same dialogue, the same relationships, the same interactions between characters, etc.

I think a new group and setting (since it is 100 years later after all) would create a great opportunity to close down the old tale and begin a new one with a host of new characters and individual personalities. Not just a new "grumpy dwarf who likes ale, the forge, and smashing orcs" but characters with a lot of depth and a story that needs to be revealed throughout the novel or series full of twists and surprises.

I am aware of my constant ramblings regarding this... and if RAS has been browsing these forums he is likely scratching his nose with his middle finger right now... so take my words for what they are; nothing more than a single fan of millions who has grown bored.

www.youtube.com/Airicx
Go to Top of Page

Slaygrim
Learned Scribe

111 Posts

Posted - 28 Jul 2010 :  14:56:48  Show Profile  Visit Slaygrim's Homepage Send Slaygrim a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Red WalkerBruenor is in it as well as Jarlaxle and Athrogate.

I am not surprised in the least. In fact if there were a betting line on this I would have made money.

I'd be more surprised to see a new archvillain for Drizzt than that archvillain turning out to BE Jarlaxle. That's how much I think the characters are recycled in Drizzt's tales.

www.youtube.com/Airicx
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 28 Jul 2010 :  19:42:14  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by The Red WalkerBruenor is in it as well as Jarlaxle and Athrogate.

I am not surprised in the least. In fact if there were a betting line on this I would have made money.

I'd be more surprised to see a new archvillain for Drizzt than that archvillain turning out to BE Jarlaxle. That's how much I think the characters are recycled in Drizzt's tales.

With Jarlaxle's history concerning Drizzt dad Zaknafien, I would be utterly shocked(not to mention turned off of the book) to see him oppose Drizzt.

Go to Top of Page

Slaygrim
Learned Scribe

111 Posts

Posted - 28 Jul 2010 :  20:51:09  Show Profile  Visit Slaygrim's Homepage Send Slaygrim a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, it would be a bit out there, but IMO not as out there as a new arch-rival replacing the likes of Entreri. If RAS was to end the Drizzt story with an epic battle at the end, I would expect him to use Jarlaxle opposite of Drizzt over a new villain. Just the message I am getting from all of the character recycling.

www.youtube.com/Airicx
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 28 Jul 2010 :  22:54:22  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Yes, it would be a bit out there, but IMO not as out there as a new arch-rival replacing the likes of Entreri. If RAS was to end the Drizzt story with an epic battle at the end, I would expect him to use Jarlaxle opposite of Drizzt over a new villain. Just the message I am getting from all of the character recycling.

I'd rather see jarlaxle turn D to operate in the grey areas like he does!

Go to Top of Page

Sith_Lord_Drizzt
Seeker

Canada
92 Posts

Posted - 29 Jul 2010 :  03:28:22  Show Profile  Visit Sith_Lord_Drizzt's Homepage Send Sith_Lord_Drizzt a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have to agree. I wouldn't mind seeing a darker, take no crap side to Drizzt. Maybe the loss of Cattibrie will push him in this direction. And with Jarlaxle there to "guide" him....who knows?

Go to Top of Page

Slaygrim
Learned Scribe

111 Posts

Posted - 29 Jul 2010 :  15:34:57  Show Profile  Visit Slaygrim's Homepage Send Slaygrim a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Like Luke flirting with the Dark Side after Jedi? :)

www.youtube.com/Airicx
Go to Top of Page

Captain black
Acolyte

13 Posts

Posted - 29 Jul 2010 :  16:00:00  Show Profile  Visit Captain black's Homepage Send Captain black a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I do not like the way that at the end of "The Orc King" Cattibrie started training to be a wizard and nothing has come from that, except her problem in the ghost king. If she was going to become a useless character why not kill her rather than just leave her injured for life?

Wishful thinking- I would also like to see Tos'un Armgo again.

Edited by - Captain black on 29 Jul 2010 16:13:09
Go to Top of Page

Slaygrim
Learned Scribe

111 Posts

Posted - 29 Jul 2010 :  20:08:16  Show Profile  Visit Slaygrim's Homepage Send Slaygrim a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I liked Tos'un too.

www.youtube.com/Airicx
Go to Top of Page

Lady Fellshot
Senior Scribe

USA
379 Posts

Posted - 30 Jul 2010 :  01:17:20  Show Profile  Visit Lady Fellshot's Homepage Send Lady Fellshot a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Captain black

I do not like the way that at the end of "The Orc King" Cattibrie started training to be a wizard and nothing has come from that, except her problem in the ghost king. If she was going to become a useless character why not kill her rather than just leave her injured for life?

Wishful thinking- I would also like to see Tos'un Armgo again.

Didn't you get the memo? Female characters in fantasy aren't narratively important after they get married. This was about the only occasion in a long time where I was happy to see the female character involved go away though...

I would also like to see Tos'un again. I will not hold my breath though.

Rants and reviews that interest no one may be found here.
Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 30 Jul 2010 :  18:45:20  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think he just rode into the sunset of his own story. Sadly, I hated that Cattie ended up how she did- it was SOOO disappointing after all she and D had been through to get where they were. But getting rid of Regis, too? Don't halflings live a long time? Not as long as elves and dwarves, but.... If there is going to be a new nemisis, I don't think it will be Jar. He's gone too fadown the road of good to be much of a villain now. Same goes for Entreri. Not that either of them is actually "good" mind you, but they have changed enough to make it unlikely that either would continue as the "villain of the week". I'm voting for a new one. Maybe Venom? Oops, wait, wrong hero- that must have slipped out of my team-up fan-fic tale. (Yes, I actually wrote a story with Drizzt meeting Spidey- Pete got sucked into a portal to FR and the usual insanity ensued, including the obligatory LotR jokes from Spidey- Drizzt did not know what to make of him, lol!) My bad.

The Goddess is alive, and magic is afoot.

"Where Science ends, Magic begins" -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

"You idiots! You've captured their STUNT doubles!" -Spaceballs

Lothir's character background/stats: http://forum.candlekeep.com/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=5469

My stories:
http://z3.invisionfree.com/Mickeys_Comic_Tavern/index.php?showforum=188

Lothir, courtesy of Sylinde (Deviant Art)/Luaxena (Chosen of Eilistraee)
http://sylinde.deviantart.com/#/d2z6e4u

Edited by - Alystra Illianniis on 30 Jul 2010 18:47:15
Go to Top of Page

jornan
Learned Scribe

Canada
256 Posts

Posted - 02 Aug 2010 :  03:32:11  Show Profile Send jornan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I always just assumed that she began training as a wizard as a means to write he out of the story, without having to kill her off by some monster or villian or having her die from something mundane like old age.

I'm glad she is gone, she had basically lost all my interest for a number of books now and was holding drizzt back and bogging his character down with real world issues like settling down with children and domestic disputes...boring.

Go to Top of Page

Kyrene
Senior Scribe

South Africa
737 Posts

Posted - 02 Aug 2010 :  08:14:53  Show Profile  Visit Kyrene's Homepage Send Kyrene a Private Message  Reply with Quote
RAS's tale in Realms of the Dead deals with what had happened with Cattie and Regis, so I'd assume they are written out of the main Drizzt line (for now, possibly forever). I have not read any of the Drizzt novels, so I cannot say how this affects this discussion, but would point to that story to enable a more fuller discussion.

Lost for words? Find them in the Glossary of Phrases, Sayings & Words of the Realms
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000