Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 The Captive Flame: A Review
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 09 May 2010 :  16:34:17  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic

From the prologue alone I knew I would love this book. I did not expect Brimstone to show up. He made a good "entrance," though. It somehow felt at the start as if it's a fusion between the Haunted Lands and The Year of Rogue Dragons. The excitement and the promise of more surprises were already palpable in the prologue and the first 2 chapters....Who is Tchazzar? What is the reason he left Chessenta? And most importantly, why did he not return? Is there really a conspiracy that throws most of the eastern lands in the chaos of war? What part will Aoth and the Brotherhood play in this "madness"? These are few of the questions that this book is bound to answer...

The story is well-developed, and each chapter provides highlights to the core of the story and its main characters. I did not feel as though every chapter is "forced" to be knit together and thereby creates a sense of "incoherence" (as with the case of some FR novels). On the contrary, every chapter connects perfectly.

Now, on the setting. I must say I am not a Chessanta fan, and I am glad that although most of the events happen in that realm, some important ones occur in Murghôm, Tymanther, Threskel, and Shadowfell! The mix of these colorful realms (and plane) in the story was really great, and Richard's literary prowess makes it easy for me to visualize them...although I would have appreciated it more had there been a map of Chessenta at least...

I must say the characters (as only Richard can describe and flesh them out) are the most interesting part of the book. I like Aoth since the Haunted Lands, and he is still the same... prudent, chaotic good, complex, and easy to like. However, at times I find it difficult to figure out his motivation, as he'd given in to fickle-mindedness more than once. Jhesrhi and Gaedynn have crucial role in the story, and therefore are provided with more focus than they were in the HL. I honestly did not expect that Jhesrhi hailed from Luthcheq, Chessenta's capital. Did Richard provide hint in the HL about it? If so, it totally escaped my notice. Anyway, I like the fact Richard did not suddenly make Aoth and Jhesrhi overly powerful, like what he did to Malark in the HL. The dragon characters are somewhat too powerful for me. And somehow I am surprised that there is no human or lich involved who is as puissant as one of the zulkirs...Maybe in the next book there will be, from High Imaskara? Also, I find it strange that a dragonborn is a paladin, though I should say he is quite interesting, albeit irritating sometimes. Well, honestly, I find most paladins are. What with all the self-serving elucidation about righteousness?! Torm might as well make a halfling paladin.

The war involves most of the east, so maybe in the following books Thay and Aglarond will join the fray, especially that choosing sides does matter. Aglarond already showed which side they're on...

The last line of Gaedynn hinted on something important about the plot of this book's sequel. And that I did not quite expect.

There's so much going on in this book. More and more questions arise as you turn every page. Some are answered, but most are left to be seen in the next two books. So somehow, this may be well be considered as the “set-up” story for the following novels, laying enough ground to be explored later.

Overall, this is a wonderful book that should be devoured by all FR fans and readers of excellent fantasy. I give it an 8/10. It may not be as grand as Unclean or any of the HL books, but it's so much worth your time.

Every beginning has an end.

Edited by - Dennis on 21 Jun 2011 12:39:14

Zireael
Master of Realmslore

Poland
1190 Posts

Posted - 09 May 2010 :  19:46:27  Show Profile  Visit Zireael's Homepage Send Zireael a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ummm... you know all four posts in this scroll are yours?

On the topic: you said the book is set in Chessenta?

SiNafay Vrinn, the daughter of Lloth, from Ched Nasad!

http://zireael07.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 09 May 2010 :  22:04:12  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey, I 'made an appearance' in the novel?

Ok, Richard I want some royalties from all sales!

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 09 May 2010 :  23:33:51  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Zireael

On the topic: you said the book is set in Chessenta?

Yes, most of the events happen in Chessenta, which is for me a boring realm (even Aoth and Jhesri detest it). But Richard handles it well and the characters add color to its gloomy, unimpressive atmosphere with its similarly boring leader, the war hero Shala. But do not get me wrong, this book, all things considered, is excellent! It is character-focused as much as conflict-focused, although you will get a bit vague feeling of confusion about the latter, since (like the HL trilogy where Richard revealed the main reason for Tam's grab for power much too late, in book 3, that is) the main reason why the eastern lands are at war with each other is yet to be revealed, and I am guessing it will be in book 3 again.

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 09 May 2010 :  23:39:12  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Brimstone

Hey, I 'made an appearance' in the novel?

Ok, Richard I want some royalties from all sales!

Yes, albeit pretty little. Just in the prologue, to be precise. Or maybe he's also that vampire who caught Aoth and Cera when they time-travelled. But there was no name given, so it can be any vampire. His sure appearance therefore is just in the prologue. But I bet we'll see more of him (of YOU) in the following books... I'm just curious, what made you like Brimstone?

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 10 May 2010 :  00:40:27  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

The double post was unintended. As for the rest, well, sometimes my fingers have a mind of their own...They keep on typing sans me knowing it...

Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 10 May 2010 :  07:30:25  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well Brimstone was going to be My Infernal Warlock in a 4E Game.

Which never happened btw.

Then while reading through Dragons of Faerun(The Dragon Roll Call), I saw two Dragons that go by Brimstone.

Capnolithyl "Brimstone" CR:33, Status: Vampiric Sorceror 10, Gender/Kind: Male Advanced 36 HD, Smoke Drake, Lair/Doamin: Unknown.

Vendrathdammoror "Brimstone" CR:20 Status: Living, Gender/Kind: Male, Old Red, Lair/Domain: Stormhorns, Cormyr.

Now where could I find out about a Smoke Drake?

I also heard that Capnolithyl was in the Year of Rogue Dragons Trilogy. I haven't read it yet. I think that will be my next Trilogy, after All Shadows Fled...
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 10 May 2010 :  08:39:04  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh, I thought you already read Year of the Rogue Dragons Trilogy and liked Brimstone ever since...Well, I only read book 3. Our bookstores ran out of copies of books 1 and 2, so I didn't have a choice. Anyway, Brimstone isn't really that impressive in the book. He was a bit like Sammaster, occupied by his ambition to rule Faerun. He's also determined to kick Sammaster's rear to avenge tossing him out after Sammaster had no further use of him. Ambitious and bitter, what a good combition of qualities!

Go to Top of Page

skychrome
Senior Scribe

713 Posts

Posted - 10 May 2010 :  22:56:34  Show Profile  Visit skychrome's Homepage Send skychrome a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dennis

quote:

The double post was unintended. As for the rest, well, sometimes my fingers have a mind of their own...They keep on typing sans me knowing it...

Hi Dennis, it would be helpful, if you edited your posts in order to put for example the 4 consecutive posts in one post and you can also delete double posts.

Unless of course you want to push up your number of posts by these means...

"You make an intriguing offer, one that is very tempting. It would seem that I have little alternative than to answer thusly: DISINTEGRATE!" Vaarsuvius, Order of the Stick 625
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6646 Posts

Posted - 11 May 2010 :  00:35:53  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Then while reading through Dragons of Faerun(The Dragon Roll Call), I saw two Dragons that go by Brimstone.

Capnolithyl "Brimstone" CR:33, Status: Vampiric Sorceror 10, Gender/Kind: Male Advanced 36 HD, Smoke Drake, Lair/Doamin: Unknown.

Vendrathdammoror "Brimstone" CR:20 Status: Living, Gender/Kind: Male, Old Red, Lair/Domain: Stormhorns, Cormyr.

I also heard that Capnolithyl was in the Year of Rogue Dragons Trilogy. I haven't read it yet. I think that will be my next Trilogy, after All Shadows Fled...

I named both.

You might want to track down the old 3E sourcebook "Draconomicon" (one of about 3 products named that by TSR/WotC - originality not being their strong suit on the subject of dragons) which I think dealt with smoke wyrms.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

skychrome
Senior Scribe

713 Posts

Posted - 11 May 2010 :  02:49:36  Show Profile  Visit skychrome's Homepage Send skychrome a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ok Dennis, no bad blood meant. It was just a suggestion.

"You make an intriguing offer, one that is very tempting. It would seem that I have little alternative than to answer thusly: DISINTEGRATE!" Vaarsuvius, Order of the Stick 625
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 11 May 2010 :  04:30:25  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

quote:

I named both.

You might want to track down the old 3E sourcebook "Draconomicon" (one of about 3 products named that by TSR/WotC - originality not being their strong suit on the subject of dragons) which I think dealt with smoke wyrms.

-- George Krashos

I looked through that Draconomicon this morning.

I also downloaded the Dragons of Faerun Web Enhancement on the Dragon Roll Call.

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 11 May 2010 :  04:45:31  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

quote:

I named both.

-- George Krashos

I looked through that Draconomicon this morning.

I also downloaded the Dragons of Faerun Web Enhancement on the Dragon Roll Call.

You really are a dragon fan, aren't you?!

I wonder what makes me a bit apathetic to dragons. I do not loathe them, but I do not like them either. Even in my book (which I am still editing) they are just mere lackeys of the main antagonist. Maybe because they're too big? Too "cliche" for fantasy books? I guess it's a puzzle...

--------

There's this line by Aoth that I really like...It's his reply to Hasos (the baron of the insignificant town Soolabax) when the latter made him understand the scope of Threskel's strenght and the horror that the said realm inspires:

"I've lived and fought in Thay, milord. I doubt I will be impressed."

It shows that through and through he is and will always be a Thayan in speech and manner.

---------

Novels like this could lure some of the 4E-haters.

Edited by - Dennis on 21 Jun 2011 12:46:29
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 02 Jul 2010 :  19:53:00  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Novels like this could lure some of the 4E-haters.

I still see it having the opposite effect. Well written, accurate to the spirit of the realms writing like Richard does should smooth over any ruffled feathers. The "haters" are more likely to be attracted by trolls.

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963

Edited by - The Red Walker on 02 Jul 2010 19:54:52
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 02 Jul 2010 :  20:23:01  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

You're not one of the 4E-haters, are you?

I am always a pragmatist. I try to see what's good in what others might think a conglomeration of hogwash. I like the 3E most, but I do not hate the rest of the editions. This is the very reason I REFUSE to write anything in the scrolls that discuss/debate on what edition is the best. Why would I hate the "whole" when I can find something likeable in it?! And Richard and his novels are part of that "something."

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 03 Oct 2010 :  06:48:29  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

I wonder when will this gem of a book hit the Book Club section. Sage?

Go to Top of Page

Sith_Lord_Drizzt
Seeker

Canada
92 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2010 :  15:30:20  Show Profile  Visit Sith_Lord_Drizzt's Homepage Send Sith_Lord_Drizzt a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm wondering that as well....along with Gauntlgrym!

"Jarlaxle's grin disappeared as he turned his attention to Drizzt. He watched the fury of the drow unleashed. Jarlaxle had seen Drizzt in action many times before, but never like that".
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2010 :  23:41:20  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Maybe because only a few said they read it, and no one, other than I (and you?) requested for it to be discussed in the Book Club. But at least Sage said he plans to read it (or so it appears to me upon reading one of his posts in 'Shameless self-promotion' thread). And when he's done, he might grant the request. (Right, Sage.)

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 05 Nov 2010 :  00:34:48  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Maybe because only a few said they read it, and no one, other than I (and you?) requested for it to be discussed in the Book Club. But at least Sage said he plans to read it (or so it appears to me upon reading one of his posts in 'Shameless self-promotion' thread). And when he's done, he might grant the request. (Right, Sage.)

I'll be honest, I thought I'd already opened scrolls for it.

I'll rectify that shortly.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 05 Nov 2010 :  01:27:38  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Glad to hear that.

There are ten chapters, a prologue, and an epilogue.

Edited by - Dennis on 05 Nov 2010 01:34:27
Go to Top of Page

Sandstorm
Seeker

Canada
80 Posts

Posted - 05 Nov 2010 :  06:57:31  Show Profile  Visit Sandstorm's Homepage Send Sandstorm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey Dennis. Sorry it took me so long to respond. I get exasperated from the thuoght of reading entire threads. First off, I am a 4E hater as far as the actual game goes. I DM in 3.5 and refuse to touch 4E. Too many big changes. And someting about fighters being able to heal themselveS? Bleh!

Anyhoo, as per the novel, I really enjoyed it in comparisson to the Haunted Lands trilogy because of its readability. As much as I DID enjoy the Haunted Lands, it was a tougher read. This one had a more simplified form in that you didnt have to keep remembering SO many names and looking back at what had happened previously. It wasn't "dumbed down" mind you, just crisper and cleaner. (tried to insert an "unclean" joke in there, but it wasnot working)

As far as characters go, I still feel I dont know much about Aoth or his personality. Though I did love the above quoted line, I still dont feel Aoth has been fully detailed to me. I never quite know why he is driven to do what he does (and no I dont by the "for money" thing, because it isn't quite hammered into my mind that he's just a mercenary. He doesnt come across as neutral enough to me)
Jhesri and Gaedynn are better detailed I find, though i can't stand Gaedynn personally, he IS described better. Jhseri kind of annoyed me in a sense too, but do not mistake me "not liking" characters for me not likign a book. I LOVED the book and cant wait to pick of Whisper of Venom. I've disliked many characters that I felt were integral to stories perhaps. Would I be sad if those vampires had throttled Gaedynn to death and succumbed Jhesri into a life as nightwalker? No, I would have loved it, though I still loved reading about them because of the story. Khouryn though... ha! Love to finally read about a dwarf that fights with an urgrosh!

The dragonborn paladin thing I also had a LIL tough time with, though it grew on me. (p.s. I believe there was a halfling paladin in Baldurs Gate II.

Can't wait for Whisper of Venom Richard!! Keep on truckin, and this time, PLEASE give us a bit more into the whole Brimstone portion :P what a tease!
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 05 Nov 2010 :  09:02:09  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sandstorm

Hey Dennis. Sorry it took me so long to respond.

Finally. I'm really glad you did.

quote:

Anyhoo, as per the novel, I really enjoyed it in comparison to the Haunted Lands trilogy because of its readability. As much as I DID enjoy the Haunted Lands, it was a tougher read. This one had a more simplified form in that you didn't have to keep remembering SO many names and looking back at what had happened previously. It wasn't "dumbed down" mind you, just crisper and cleaner. (tried to insert an "unclean" joke in there, but it was not working)

Do you happen to be new to the Realms? True, there are so many characters mentioned in the Haunted Lands trilogy, but most of them had also been used in several other novels. In short, familiar faces.

I agree that this novel is much more simplified. Maybe because Richard wanted to focus more on Aoth, Gaedyn and Jhesri. In short, the HL trilogy is more conflict-centered, while this book is more character-focused. Though it's really too early make a final judgment, since we haven't yet read the other two.

quote:

As far as characters go, I still feel I don't know much about Aoth or his personality. Though I did love the above quoted line, I still dont feel Aoth has been fully detailed to me. I never quite know why he is driven to do what he does (and no I dont by the "for money" thing, because it isn't quite hammered into my mind that he's just a mercenary. He doesnt come across as neutral enough to me)

Most of Aoth's scenes involve fighting. There should have been more introspection added. It seems like Richard is leaving it to us, the readers, to determine on our own what really DRIVES Aoth to do what he does. My guess is that being a Thayan by heart and mind, practicality is a serious matter. A Thayan does love; but above all else, a Thayan must survive. So coins Aoth must earn. But one wonders, with his magical and fighting abilities, he can choose to have a more 'respectable, honorable' job; perhaps a Cormyrean War Wizard. Maybe he once did consider that, or does. But he must have deduced: there's nary a difference at all. To fight for Cormyr, which is not his home, is the same as fighting for any other realm.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000