Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Trafaldi
Learned Scribe

264 Posts

Posted - 18 Sep 2003 :  17:57:32  Show Profile  Visit Trafaldi's Homepage Send Trafaldi a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I know that this subject has probably been brought up but here we go.

3.5 has been out long enough for plenty of people to play it I would like to have some feed back from what everyone thinks Good Bad Ugly

I have played it and i find it better and i haven't really noticed any major downsides.

Some believe there is something more after death, if you really want to find out... go kill yourself and stop pestering me.

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 19 Sep 2003 :  04:43:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've been playing it for about two months now. They improved everything, fixed aplenty of game balance issues, and made the books a lot clearer. I've noticed two downsides so far: that there isn't a list of underground creatures anywhere, and that the new indexing system requires more bookmarks and page flipping. It's much improved over 3.0, though.
Go to Top of Page

William of Waterdeep
Senior Scribe

USA
829 Posts

Posted - 19 Sep 2003 :  07:50:30  Show Profile  Visit William of Waterdeep's Homepage Send William of Waterdeep a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What are the major changes or at least hit on a few,you mentioned
game balance issues.

Courage isn't the lack of fear but rather believing in and doing what you know is right even though fear is present.

Go to Top of Page

Cult_Leader
Learned Scribe

USA
337 Posts

Posted - 19 Sep 2003 :  13:54:48  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Leader's Homepage Send Cult_Leader a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, I my self have not played it but I have read over the rulings and such. Not a bad set up at all *winks* to me it sounds as if the revised rules shall make game play easier upon the DM's and the players as well. This new set up and such also help to keep things a bit more balanced (even though we all know we can still break the hell of out 3.5) for all players to enjoy.

"Madness you say! Do you fear me? Are you afraid of what I might do, of what I might say? What a fascinating reaction. Don't you find it somewhat encumbering?"

Piddles assumes a deep and resonant voice. "Space...the Final Frontier. These are the voyages of the starship...Garou. It's mission: to slay Wyrm creatures where they live and breed. To accumulate more Garou than the world's entire population. To produce metis like no one has before." - Piddles

"Aren't you people supposed to be doing something? Like, entertaining me, the fascist wizard?" - InleRah

I have the passwords to the minds of everyone and the cheat codes to the universe - Me
Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 19 Sep 2003 :  14:41:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, as everyone knows they brought the base classes to more of a standard power level. Certain very bargainlike magic items were changed; the boots of springing and striding being an example. The skill bonus on such things as rings of jumping and the like decreased. It's nice to see the Forgotten Realms have more or at least equal mentions to Greyhawk in the core rulebooks. Something I found interesting was that in some areas(especially in the DMG), they didn't say that there was a supplement out that expanded upon this. No mention of the Manual of the Planes in the cosmology section, no mention of the Realms in the column on buying a premade campaign setting, no mention of the Epic Level Handbook in the section on epic characters. Surprises me that they aren't plugging their own products.

Edited by - Arivia on 19 Sep 2003 14:42:09
Go to Top of Page

Trafaldi
Learned Scribe

264 Posts

Posted - 19 Sep 2003 :  16:23:14  Show Profile  Visit Trafaldi's Homepage Send Trafaldi a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There is a supplement for all the other books that you can download on the WOTC website http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/dnd/20030718a It has the update for all of the other books.

IT IS FREE

Some believe there is something more after death, if you really want to find out... go kill yourself and stop pestering me.
Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 19 Sep 2003 :  18:02:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, the 3.5 revision booklet is free. It only covers a few titles, however, and doesn't touch on anything FR. If you're interested in trying out the 3.5 rules before you buy the rulebooks, you can go here for the 3.5 SRD, which has most of the new rules:

http://www.wizards.com/D20/article.asp?x=srd35

It doesn't really compare to the real world hardcover books, but you can get a feel for the revision. It's missing D&D's unique monsters and the like, such as beholders, slaadi, and the gith descendents.
Go to Top of Page

William of Waterdeep
Senior Scribe

USA
829 Posts

Posted - 19 Sep 2003 :  18:42:56  Show Profile  Visit William of Waterdeep's Homepage Send William of Waterdeep a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for all the feedback.Looks good so far.

Courage isn't the lack of fear but rather believing in and doing what you know is right even though fear is present.

Go to Top of Page

Cyric
Senior Scribe

Norway
388 Posts

Posted - 19 Sep 2003 :  23:15:17  Show Profile  Visit Cyric's Homepage Send Cyric a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Are there any thing new abut Cyric ???
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 20 Sep 2003 :  04:41:31  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Many of the feats are different. They, and the classes, look better now. Some, though, aren't so much. And the skills . . . about half the changes I agree with (such as the changes to Wilderness Lore, and the inclusion of Inuendo into Bluff) but others I just don't know enough about.

I admit that I'm skeptical mostly because of their demonstrated money-hunger, and how they lean more to krunch than fluff. (I use a lot of crunch too, but not krunch. And it's all based around the character, not making an uber or such.)

So, instead of all of this "Some's good" "I love it" or "I hate it", how about some of you with actual experience with it give a line-by-line (okay, paragraph-by-paragraph) examiniation of how things have changed? That would be much more useful to people like me.

Hell hath no fury like all of Candlekeep rising in defense of one of its own.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 20 Sep 2003 :  04:49:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You mean by combing through every last section of each rulebook and posting a summary of the changes? I'm willing, just would take a while...
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000