Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Era of Choice
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 18 Sep 2010 :  01:47:17  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Personally I'm currently favoring the Old Grey Box.

However!

I liked nearly any era of the Forgotten Realms after that. I even have some like of the Post Spellplague era...but I just don't see it as the Forgotten Realms.

*A* Forgotten Realms to be sure, and so I see that it could be fun to play in. I liked many folks idea that there were many Forgotten Realms that sort of splinter off of each other in parallel universes and such.

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page

idilippy
Senior Scribe

USA
417 Posts

Posted - 18 Sep 2010 :  02:11:16  Show Profile Send idilippy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, the new realms, if a separate world like Eberron is, could be a lot of fun to play in. Giant caverns, skyships, floating cities, plaguelands, and spellscars all have potential for fun, as does a post-apocalypse flavored setting with very little detail that leaves a lot to the DM to fill in. On the other hand, I already played Eberron when I wanted Eberron, I played in the Realms for the attention to detail and lore, which is why the 4e Realms don't appeal much to me. On the other hand I don't know if I could see myself using the Old Gray Box completely on its own either, not when I have access to all sorts of published lore to add onto it, though I could see myself taking the OGB and just adding the lore I like to it while leaving off the rest.
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 18 Sep 2010 :  02:21:49  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by idilippy

Yeah, the new realms, if a separate world like Eberron is, could be a lot of fun to play in. Giant caverns, skyships, floating cities, plaguelands, and spellscars all have potential for fun, as does a post-apocalypse flavored setting with very little detail that leaves a lot to the DM to fill in. On the other hand, I already played Eberron when I wanted Eberron, I played in the Realms for the attention to detail and lore, which is why the 4e Realms don't appeal much to me. On the other hand I don't know if I could see myself using the Old Gray Box completely on its own either, not when I have access to all sorts of published lore to add onto it, though I could see myself taking the OGB and just adding the lore I like to it while leaving off the rest.

The campaign I'm going to be running now with my children will start in the OGB and then move through the years. I'll add things as the party goes in those areas...but some things I'll likely leave out. I have already decided that I will not have a Time of Troubles like the published one...no Cyric and Midnight becoming gods...I'll leave that up to how things work out with the party.

I'll most likely even have Shade Return...just in my own manner. I doubt highly that anything that results from this game will be like the published realms...but lots of the ideas are really good.

I've even decided to put Aebir exactly on the other side of the Sun in my Forgotten Realms...so it is there, but can't be seen really with the naked eye...and the Sun will act as Ao's buffer blocking any and all magic from working from one world to the other.

I opted to not have Spelljamming in my Forgotten Realms either...space is going to be a cold dead place unless a planet is in the Life Zone of the star...and there are only going to be two planets that fit that description.

Sorry for the ramble...

Go to Top of Page

idilippy
Senior Scribe

USA
417 Posts

Posted - 18 Sep 2010 :  03:05:08  Show Profile Send idilippy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's an interesting and fun sounding campaign idea, you should get a ton of play out of the realms material if you start the campaign at the time of the old gray box.
Go to Top of Page

Halidan
Senior Scribe

USA
470 Posts

Posted - 18 Sep 2010 :  08:29:12  Show Profile  Visit Halidan's Homepage Send Halidan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My next campaign is set just after the elves leave for Evermeet - circa 1348. It mostly deals with how the dales and the Moonsea powers deal with the sudden power vacume in the Elven Court and Myth Drannor. It should be lots of fun.

"Over the Mountains
Of the Moon
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride,"
The shade replied,
"If you seek for Eldorado!"

Edgar Allen Poe - 1849
Go to Top of Page

see
Learned Scribe

235 Posts

Posted - 19 Sep 2010 :  01:06:08  Show Profile Send see a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I answered OGB.

My choice would be OGB as the basic era, lots of the 2e lore backported, and the ToT will never happen (solidly derailing any other "we already know what's going to happen" stuff).
Go to Top of Page

Eltheron
Senior Scribe

740 Posts

Posted - 21 Sep 2010 :  17:49:05  Show Profile Send Eltheron a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My vote was for "Old Gray Box" era, as it also includes the very good pre-setting articles written in early Dragon. Growing up in that era, I can say from personal experience that there were TONS of people who were fans of Ed's articles before it became a boxed, formalized setting (myself and all my old friends included).

For subsequent editions, there were things from 2E and 3E that I heartily disliked; but on the whole, I liked a lot more than I disliked. I loved all the Volo guides, I liked aspects of Maztica, I loved Kara-Tur, lots of the Underdark additions were cool, and I really liked Halruaa. The boxed set "The North" and the 3E Silver Marches supplement were pure gold to me. But I could have lived without the Time of Troubles, as I liked many of the pre-ToT gods better. Similarly, I never incorporated Spelljammer. And I've avoided 4E Realms, even though I don't mind the 4E rules, just not a lot there that appeals to me personally.

So definitely for me, "Old Gray Box" with bits and pieces of 2E and 3E Realms as icing. :)

"The very best possible post-fourteenth-century Realms lets down those who love the specific, detailed social, political and magical situation, with its thousands of characters, developed over forty years, and want to learn more about it; and those who'd be open to a new one with equal depth, which there just isn't time to re-produce; and those repelled, some past the point of no return, by the bad-taste-and-plausibility gap of things done to the world when its guardianship was less careful."
--Faraer
Go to Top of Page

Julian Grimm
Seeker

86 Posts

Posted - 01 Oct 2010 :  00:57:20  Show Profile Send Julian Grimm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm definitely in the Greybox category. It was my introduction to the setting and I spent many a game with it. I never was a fan of the ToT; I liked it in idea not execution. My games tend to pick an choose anything after FR6 and has diverged pretty far from the official timeline.
Go to Top of Page

Kno
Senior Scribe

452 Posts

Posted - 05 Oct 2010 :  20:33:55  Show Profile Send Kno a Private Message  Reply with Quote
why don't you Greyboxers just skip ToT, it was a minor event, a lot of good things happened until at least 1373

z455t
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 06 Oct 2010 :  04:15:20  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'll most likely skip the Time of Troubles...as it was done at any rate. I like the idea of the modules. I may run the modules for my players...but if so, Bane will be restored just as Torm was...after all, he was doing what he was supposed to do!

In that case, so would be Bhaal and Myrkul. As for the destruction of Mystra...I can swing that so that she "re-spawns" after the ToT.

I kinda like the Time of Troubles...I just didn't like Cyric...at all...

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 06 Oct 2010 :  05:26:44  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dalor Darden

Agreed. I came aboard with the ToT, so it's never bothered me. In fact, I still there's there's a lot of fun potential in it and its after-effects -- particularly Myrkul in the Crown of Horns, and the maybe/maybe not reborn Bane (I remain convinced that Xvim is pretending to be Bane).

Cyric, on the other hand, strikes me as little more than an opportunistic git. He's almost but not quite tragic. Tragic, in that he did have potential to straighten up and become a good guy, and even wanted to for a while... Almost, though, because his failings were his own, him taking the easy way out instead of sticking to the swifting-withering morals he tried to live up to. He could have been more, and instead fell -- that's tragic. But he brought it on himself, so is simply too pathetic to be tragic.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 06 Oct 2010 05:27:43
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 06 Oct 2010 :  06:04:53  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Whereas, I never actually incorporated the Time of Troubles into my Realms. Myrkul, Bhaal, and Bane all largely remain the same for the most part.

Though, I've often said that if I had dropped the ToT into my campaigns, the Myrkul-Crown of Horns concept would also be part of my world.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Joran Nobleheart
Senior Scribe

USA
495 Posts

Posted - 06 Oct 2010 :  06:41:35  Show Profile  Visit Joran Nobleheart's Homepage Send Joran Nobleheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

Agreed. I came aboard with the ToT, so it's never bothered me. In fact, I still there's there's a lot of fun potential in it and its after-effects -- particularly Myrkul in the Crown of Horns, and the maybe/maybe not reborn Bane (I remain convinced that Xvim is pretending to be Bane).

Cyric, on the other hand, strikes me as little more than an opportunistic git. He's almost but not quite tragic. Tragic, in that he did have potential to straighten up and become a good guy, and even wanted to for a while... Almost, though, because his failings were his own, him taking the easy way out instead of sticking to the swifting-withering morals he tried to live up to. He could have been more, and instead fell -- that's tragic. But he brought it on himself, so is simply too pathetic to be tragic.

Once again Wooly, I agree with you completely.

Paladinic Ethos
Saint Joran Nobleheart
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 06 Oct 2010 :  06:50:16  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Aye, I'm really liking the Crown of Horns aspect...so, there are many things to think about.

If I want to stick somewhat to chronology, I still have a long way to go with the current game I'm running for my kids and wife before the ToT would even come up.

We've only just started in the Month of Ches in the Year of the Prince (1357) so I have lots of time.

It may be that the whole ToT is a bit too much for my kids at any rate. They are smart, but they may not get the intricacies of that particular line...while my wife would I'm sure.

We'll see.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 06 Oct 2010 :  07:37:08  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

It may be that the whole ToT is a bit too much for my kids at any rate. They are smart, but they may not get the intricacies of that particular line...while my wife would I'm sure.
Hmmm. Have they read the "Avatar" trilogy? If not, it may help to provide you with a way to gauge how they'd feel about the event.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Sandro
Learned Scribe

New Zealand
266 Posts

Posted - 06 Oct 2010 :  07:54:09  Show Profile Send Sandro a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:

Hmmm. Have they read the "Avatar" trilogy? If not, it may help to provide you with a way to gauge how they'd feel about the event.

Similarly, it might give away information about what's going on that he'd rather have a monopoly over as DM, for realism purposes in-game.

"Gods, little fishes, and spells to turn the one to the other," Mordenkainen sighed. "It's started already..."
Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 06 Oct 2010 :  10:23:24  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kno

why don't you Greyboxers just skip ToT, it was a minor event, a lot of good things happened until at least 1373

In my case because it feels like a different world from later versions (and I am not talking about the 4ed. here so no one start anything). There are plenty of room to change and develop, there is a Dark Age feel that I like and the rumours and happenings mentioned are a great starting point for a campaign. I prefer to start a bit earlier though, so that the Gondegal war and different problems in the Dales can be used in the background. And few of the bigger events appeal to me at all, the same goes for much of the later added history, so ToT is just one element among many I will never use. But any good idea will be taken into a campaign, no matter what edition it is from.
Go to Top of Page

Quale
Master of Realmslore

1757 Posts

Posted - 06 Oct 2010 :  10:26:53  Show Profile Send Quale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Avatar Crisis for us was an interesting concept, too hard to pass up. Whatever we disliked was changed, parts of Cyric and Finder, Ao, Tiamat's and Gilgeam's conflict. And I ran the Faction War parallel to my friend's plot in Unther. I did not care for the deaths of Bane and Bhaal, only Myrkul remained and Moander got the Crown of Horns.
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 06 Oct 2010 :  17:31:03  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:

Well, my players are 28, 8, 7 & 5...and while all of them can read (something that is cool for a five year old!), I just don't think I want them to read something that I may use...or may not. I think if I decide NOT to use it, then I will encourage them to read it.

Most likely, however, I think my FR will pretty much go forward in a undetermined way. Honestly, the boys like hack and slash, so I'm probably in for many a dungeon crawl and wilderness romp!

Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 13 Jan 2012 :  20:50:36  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It was a close choice between the Grey Box era and Post ToT, but in the end i went with the classic 2E Post ToT.

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Amazon "KindleUnlimited" Free Trial: http://amzn.to/2AJ4yD2

Try Audible and Get 2 Free Audio Books! https://amzn.to/2IgBede

Edited by - Artemas Entreri on 13 Jan 2012 20:51:02
Go to Top of Page

Seravin
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1265 Posts

Posted - 13 Jan 2012 :  21:00:22  Show Profile Send Seravin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Grey Box era all the way. I wish they would publish an unending stream of novels from this era.
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 13 Jan 2012 :  21:13:48  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Seravin

Grey Box era all the way. I wish they would publish an unending stream of novels from this era.

I would buy them all

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Amazon "KindleUnlimited" Free Trial: http://amzn.to/2AJ4yD2

Try Audible and Get 2 Free Audio Books! https://amzn.to/2IgBede
Go to Top of Page

Wolfhound75
Learned Scribe

USA
217 Posts

Posted - 13 Jan 2012 :  22:03:08  Show Profile Send Wolfhound75 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Post Time of Troubles is my preferred era for play.

I feel this way because there is a sufficient amount of lore predating this era that the world is developed and complete. Also, there are still enough unexplored and out of the way areas that DMs could create whatever they wish, nearly wherever as well, without having to worry about the effect on Farmer Joe and his six cows. As Realmslore has progressed, it feels like there is less and less room for DM additions as more of the world is defined by canon writings. Call it a fantasy version of urban sprawl type of effect.

Enjoy the Realms regardless of your preferred era of Lore!

Good Hunting!

"Firepower - if it's not working, you're not using enough." ~ Military Proverb

"If at first you do succeed, you must've rolled a natural 20!"
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 13 Jan 2012 :  22:21:39  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Looking back, I see now that my own preference (at this time) isn't even listed (although Brace did poke it with a stick).

I think post-Spellplague, Pre-4e is the ideal era to run a game, because all bets are off, and you can pick whatever you want from any edition and run with it. Hell, you can even borrow entire realms whole-cloth from other settings and have a good explanation for it. How often can you do that, and NOT violate canon?

There is a lot to be said for wedging a new edition between the last two (IMHO).

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Therise
Master of Realmslore

1272 Posts

Posted - 13 Jan 2012 :  23:02:22  Show Profile Send Therise a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ye Olde Gray Boxe (1E) for me!

Female, 40-year DM of a homebrew-evolved 1E Realms, including a few added tidbits of 2E and 3E lore; played originally in AD&D, then in Rolemaster. Be a DM for your kids and grandkids, gaming is excellent for families!
Go to Top of Page

Varl
Learned Scribe

USA
284 Posts

Posted - 13 Jan 2012 :  23:25:01  Show Profile Send Varl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Old Gray Box for me. It was the quintessential Realms, and Ed was in charge. Deeeelish! I still remember his Everwinking Eye articles in Dragon as being at the heart of what I learned to love most about the Realms: lore and campaign content usable by anyone at any time regardless of edition.

I'm on a permanent vacation to the soul. -Tash Sultana
Go to Top of Page

Mapolq
Senior Scribe

Brazil
466 Posts

Posted - 13 Jan 2012 :  23:44:50  Show Profile Send Mapolq a Private Message  Reply with Quote
3E Realms for me. (Though it really doesn't deserve to be branded "Return of Shade" Realms...) It was a difficult choice pitting it against the older versions, but the 3E Realms has one big advantage: it includes and builds upon the vast majority of previous material. The 4E Realms on the other hand practically erase the board with the time jump and the multiple changes to the setting's geography and general feel.

1385 DR Realms could be an interesting era... if only the future wasn't set up for us already and the Spellplague could be a temporary event with a few lasting consequences like the ToT, not an all-encompassing theme for the setting. And if other changes, like the god killing spree and the cosmology could be averted or toned down. Otherwise it'd just feel like playing in a Realms that's going down the drain, and I don't like that kind of setting.

Never sleep under the jackfruit tree.

Tales of Moonsea - A Neverwinter Nights 2 Persistent World. Check out our website at http://www.talesofmoonsea.com and our video trailer at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=am304WqOAAo&feature=youtu.be, as well as our thread here at Candlekeep: http://www.forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=12955

My campaign thread: http://www.forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=16447
Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2012 :  10:33:31  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have to pick 3e realms as well . It was the most interesting, though i havent got anything against the other eras including the apparently much critised 4e.

Edited by - Thauranil on 16 Jan 2012 10:34:48
Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 18 Jan 2012 :  09:44:51  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Amarel_Derakanor

I voted on the "Greenwood Realms". Easy choice. Guaranteed to be a 100% free of RSEs and real-world-culture-copies. Not to mention retroactive continuity and world design influenced by 'marketing strategies', which the 4th edition is full of.

Yep. This one gets my vote too.

Edit: Second place goes to the Old Grey Box, third place to 3E (because I like Bane and still hate Cyric, and would love to see Bhaal and Myrkul back in the pantheon).

Playing in the Realms since the Old Grey Box (1987)... and *still* having fun with material published before 2008, despite the NDA'd lore.

If it's comparable in power with non-magical abilities, it's not magic.

Edited by - Jakk on 18 Jan 2012 09:49:19
Go to Top of Page

glitter
Acolyte

France
45 Posts

Posted - 18 Jan 2012 :  12:31:40  Show Profile Send glitter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Until now, I considered myself as 3Ed based with some 2Ed input, but according to the poll (and after re-thinking) I'm more 2Ed based with input from AD&D + 3Ed (a bit more from 3Ed I must say).

EDIT: After 154 votes, pre-AD&D is ahead of 4th Ed ??? Come on guys, that sound amazing.

-The black knight is invincible!
- You’re a looney.

Edited by - glitter on 18 Jan 2012 12:51:15
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000