Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 A noob's question about the nature of wizards
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Jelennet
Learned Scribe

Russia
131 Posts

Posted - 03 May 2010 :  07:56:48  Show Profile Send Jelennet a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I'm not sure if this is the right place for such a question, but I tried to ask it on other sites and nobody anwsered me. So, please, help me.
Forgoten Realms wikia says that sorcerers have an inborn talent for magic and wizards learn spellcasting from hard studying.
And here is a quote from Elaine Cunningham's "Daughter of the drow":

"Few drow females—at least in Menzoberranzan—have the sort of innate magical talent needed for wizardry," she responded.

Do wizards need an innate magical talent for spellcasting? But that reminds me about sorcerers... Then what's the difference between a wizard and a sorcerer?
If so, then what kind of talent is it and why it isn't menioned in the wikia?
Or any person with high intellect can become a wizard after special training?
Myself, I'm intelligent.
I had the highest marks between the graduates in my school, also graduted from college with highest marks...
Does that mean that I could be a wizard in Forgotten Realms? And how high my intelligence would be?

Sorry for my poor english, it is not my first language.

Sill Alias
Senior Scribe

Kazakhstan
588 Posts

Posted - 03 May 2010 :  08:13:26  Show Profile  Visit Sill Alias's Homepage Send Sill Alias a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, intellect is the major prerequisite, but it is needed to understand the chaotic order of Weave and mechanics of spellbinding to choose the right channel to summon the power of Weave. Then you use the power of your mind (intellect again) with enough concentration to form the arcane rune in your mind, having the spell remembered in your mind. That is very hard process, so not everyone can do it. People without such talents can study the magic for years, not having any results except for cantrips.
The sorcerers have innate ability, that makes them control the Weave with the power of their will, soul (charisma). That is why they do not need the intellect and years of study. The same is for the bards, that use the power of their heart to form the arcane spell.
At least I look like that from the position of 3ed. But the knowledge about wizards (mages) is basic for all editions. My speculation in very possible ways can be false, so please, fellow scribes, correct me on some mistakes.

You can hear many tales from many mouths. The most difficult is to know which of them are not lies. - Sill Alias

"May your harp be unstrung, your dreams die and all your songs be unsung." - curse of the harper, The Code of the Harpers 2 ed.
Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 03 May 2010 :  08:15:48  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Theres nothing wrong with your english as far as I can see.
I am not the best person to answer this but until someone else steps in, here I go.

The Daughter of the Drow was written during the days of 2nd. edition Ad&d (which is the system I know best), so the sorcerers where not part of the Realms yet. If the name was used it would just be another word for mage/wizard. Drow are not my thing, but I think it has been said that the females are generally priests and the males wizards, so I think this was just a way of formulating this. I cant remember there being a question of innate talent.

A wizard casts spells by learning them from texts, memorizing the spells and then releasing the magic by various commands when needed. As far as I know sorcerers have innate magic talents, but has a far more limited diversity in spells.

Any member of a race with magical aptitude can be trained as a wizard if he or she is at least of medium intelligent (9 in AD&D), but a teacher is needed. The higher the intelligence the higher the chance of learning a spell and the higher the max spell-level one can learn.

Go to Top of Page

Sill Alias
Senior Scribe

Kazakhstan
588 Posts

Posted - 03 May 2010 :  08:44:43  Show Profile  Visit Sill Alias's Homepage Send Sill Alias a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Somehow, I like the 3rd ed more. It makes more sense with making sorcerers with charisma as basic characteristics.
Not everything is written in the wiki. Some information maybe false. It is safer to use manuals and guides to find that. But I don't know which one is better. Little help here?

You can hear many tales from many mouths. The most difficult is to know which of them are not lies. - Sill Alias

"May your harp be unstrung, your dreams die and all your songs be unsung." - curse of the harper, The Code of the Harpers 2 ed.
Go to Top of Page

Jelennet
Learned Scribe

Russia
131 Posts

Posted - 03 May 2010 :  09:01:23  Show Profile Send Jelennet a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Guys, I will be very happy if you'll tell me in which books I can find information about wizards and sorcerors. They are my favorite classes!
Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 03 May 2010 :  09:44:16  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jelennet

Guys, I will be very happy if you'll tell me in which books I can find information about wizards and sorcerors. They are my favorite classes!

Are we talking gaming products, novels or both?
Go to Top of Page

Jelennet
Learned Scribe

Russia
131 Posts

Posted - 03 May 2010 :  09:53:28  Show Profile Send Jelennet a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Both.
Go to Top of Page

Sill Alias
Senior Scribe

Kazakhstan
588 Posts

Posted - 03 May 2010 :  09:58:09  Show Profile  Visit Sill Alias's Homepage Send Sill Alias a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jelennet

Most start from Elminster series, but there are many novels to read. To get the pile of advices, post on the Forgotten Realms Book Club.

Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 03 May 2010 :  10:05:11  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am talking about 2nd edition gaming sources here. Complete book of Wizards (a general book), Forgotten Realms Adventures, Pages from the Mages, and Volo's guide to all things magical are great. All of these can be found used at reasonable prices on the net. Try Noble knight games, the Volo guide is a free download from WotC page (anyone have a link?).

You could also have a look at the Netheril box set (which I really dislike) and several products from later editions, but I am of little help there. Sorry.
Go to Top of Page

Elfinblade
Senior Scribe

Norway
377 Posts

Posted - 03 May 2010 :  10:11:04  Show Profile Send Elfinblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As for 3rd edition if you're playing that, Magic of Faerūn is a great book for most of the spellhurler classes. As for novels, in addition to the Elminster books mentioned above, i daresay the Blackstaff books by Steven Schend is a must. Blackstaff and Blackstaff Tower to be more precise.
Go to Top of Page

Sill Alias
Senior Scribe

Kazakhstan
588 Posts

Posted - 03 May 2010 :  10:39:30  Show Profile  Visit Sill Alias's Homepage Send Sill Alias a Private Message  Reply with Quote
By the way, Jelennet, I am glad that there is someone who is interested in D&D in such country. The wish to gain knowledge on original language is a worthy quest. Try to download something with filestube.

Edited by - Sill Alias on 03 May 2010 10:43:52
Go to Top of Page

Jelennet
Learned Scribe

Russia
131 Posts

Posted - 03 May 2010 :  10:44:03  Show Profile Send Jelennet a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh? Why? And what's wrong with Russia?
Go to Top of Page

Sill Alias
Senior Scribe

Kazakhstan
588 Posts

Posted - 03 May 2010 :  10:49:41  Show Profile  Visit Sill Alias's Homepage Send Sill Alias a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I started to read the novels about Drizzt on russian. Then I read on English. After that I started to despise the translators that cripple the names and sense of D&D. They even started destroying the original texts after translating! That is why it is so hard for me to find the novels.

I would type it in russian if the site would support the language.

Go to Top of Page

Jelennet
Learned Scribe

Russia
131 Posts

Posted - 03 May 2010 :  11:01:01  Show Profile Send Jelennet a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In my opinion Jarlaxle sounds better and more interesting than Jarlaxe (that's how they translated his name into russian).
You said that the traslators even started to destroy the original texts after translating... I've never heard about it! What does it mean? Why did they do it?
Go to Top of Page

Sill Alias
Senior Scribe

Kazakhstan
588 Posts

Posted - 03 May 2010 :  11:07:19  Show Profile  Visit Sill Alias's Homepage Send Sill Alias a Private Message  Reply with Quote
GREED

Or so I think. Most population reads on russian after all. But let us forget an off topic matter. There are nice posts, forgotten deep in the site. Try to use the search function of site or page them manually. And I don't think your english is poor.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 03 May 2010 :  11:54:51  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Let's try to keep real-life aspects like country and nationality out of this discussion please.

Friendly Mod warning.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 04 May 2010 :  00:03:11  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jorkens

the Volo guide is a free download from WotC page (anyone have a link?).

I do, I do!

Oh, you actually want me to share it, don't you?

the Wizards downloads page

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 04 May 2010 00:03:30
Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 04 May 2010 :  16:41:33  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by Jorkens

the Volo guide is a free download from WotC page (anyone have a link?).

I do, I do!

Oh, you actually want me to share it, don't you?

the Wizards downloads page

Yes; unless its missing of course.

Ouf, that's probably the worst joke ever in any forum. I think I will ask The Hooded one to punish me for that one.
Go to Top of Page

Nicolai Withander
Master of Realmslore

Denmark
1093 Posts

Posted - 06 May 2010 :  21:58:15  Show Profile Send Nicolai Withander a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Even thou wizards lean from training and studying, They still need to have magical talent. Its like with harry potter. Not everyone is born wizard or witch! Most can learn bot only some are good at it.

Its kind of hard to explain.

What I mean is that if our hero; a fighter with 20 intelligence read a spell from my spellbook, it would not make him cast the spell. He would need years of training tapping into the weave and controling the energies in spell casting. The power and training needed to create s fireball is massive. And even a very smart person can not just make fire from nothing. So in short any spell caster has to have some sort of innate magical talent!
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 06 May 2010 :  22:02:07  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Nicolai Withander

Even thou wizards lean from training and studying, They still need to have magical talent. Its like with harry potter. Not everyone is born wizard or witch! Most can learn bot only some are good at it.

Its kind of hard to explain.

What I mean is that if our hero; a fighter with 20 intelligence read a spell from my spellbook, it would not make him cast the spell. He would need years of training tapping into the weave and controling the energies in spell casting. The power and training needed to create s fireball is massive. And even a very smart person can not just make fire from nothing. So in short any spell caster has to have some sort of innate magical talent!

Years or training or (3E) to go up one level and take Wizard or (4E) taking a feat to cast rituals.

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 07 May 2010 :  06:34:13  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, I'd have to say one would need some sort of talent to cast spells regardless. Otherwise every half-intelligent character in the Realms would be using magic. I don't see someone like Bruenor using it, even if he is smart enough. He just doesn't have the talent. (Sorry, he was the first one that came to mind.)

The Goddess is alive, and magic is afoot.

"Where Science ends, Magic begins" -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

"You idiots! You've captured their STUNT doubles!" -Spaceballs

Lothir's character background/stats: http://forum.candlekeep.com/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=5469

My stories:
http://z3.invisionfree.com/Mickeys_Comic_Tavern/index.php?showforum=188

Lothir, courtesy of Sylinde (Deviant Art)/Luaxena (Chosen of Eilistraee)
http://sylinde.deviantart.com/#/d2z6e4u
Go to Top of Page

Sill Alias
Senior Scribe

Kazakhstan
588 Posts

Posted - 07 May 2010 :  06:40:56  Show Profile  Visit Sill Alias's Homepage Send Sill Alias a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Pwent definitely won't cast anything!

Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 07 May 2010 :  16:36:50  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alystra Illianniis

Yeah, I'd have to say one would need some sort of talent to cast spells regardless. Otherwise every half-intelligent character in the Realms would be using magic. I don't see someone like Bruenor using it, even if he is smart enough. He just doesn't have the talent. (Sorry, he was the first one that came to mind.)

That's like saying it takes a special talent to fly a plane or else everyone would fly their own jet-planes. With years of training and high cost, yes most people could, but how many wants to make the sacrifices?

Bruenor was of course never meant to cast spells. He is a Ad&d dwarf and couldn't cast a spell if his beard depended on it
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000