Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Help with fictional, not fiction, books...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

GMWestermeyer
Learned Scribe

USA
215 Posts

Posted - 29 Apr 2010 :  00:40:32  Show Profile  Visit GMWestermeyer's Homepage Send GMWestermeyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I haven't been around these parts for a long time, but I have an FR question that is right down Candlekeep's alley. :)

I love fictional books, books created to give an author's world more versimilitude. Lovecraft's Necronimicon (sp?) is the best known example but there are many such books. FR used to have tons, because Ed put quotes from them as little chapter teasers in his own novels. Great stuff. :)

Anyway, I have the list, which i know is pretty old, from the download section but is there a better list around? One more current, but more importantly one that includes the original source for the fictional book?

Thanks in advance for any help. :)

"Facts are meaningless. You can use facts to prove anything that is even remotely true."
Homer Simpson, _The Simspons_

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 29 Apr 2010 :  01:10:36  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, this topic has actually come up many times here at Candlekeep, so I'd perform a search for past discussion scrolls.

Also, are you familiar for Wizards list of Candlekeep tomes compiled by Steven Schend?:- http://www.wizards.com/forgottenrealms/FR_20001129b.asp

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

GMWestermeyer
Learned Scribe

USA
215 Posts

Posted - 02 May 2010 :  03:25:27  Show Profile  Visit GMWestermeyer's Homepage Send GMWestermeyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, that's the list I have, it doesn't cite the sources for the books listed.

Can you give me a hint of what topic titles I should search for? 'fictional books' didn't seem to link to any useful threads.

"Facts are meaningless. You can use facts to prove anything that is even remotely true."
Go to Top of Page

Joran Nobleheart
Senior Scribe

USA
495 Posts

Posted - 02 May 2010 :  03:36:49  Show Profile  Visit Joran Nobleheart's Homepage Send Joran Nobleheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That list was very useful, and I have something new to add to my games now. Thank you for that link, Sage.

Paladinic Ethos
Saint Joran Nobleheart
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 02 May 2010 :  03:45:07  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by GMWestermeyer

Can you give me a hint of what topic titles I should search for? 'fictional books' didn't seem to link to any useful threads.
Just try a simply search for "books" -- particularly on the Sages of Realmslore shelf.

Additionally, you might want to look over the various entries in both the Prayers from the Faithful and Pages from the Mages sources -- which also contain a variety of internal FR tomes.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 02 May 2010 :  03:45:21  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Joran Nobleheart

That list was very useful, and I have something new to add to my games now. Thank you for that link, Sage.

You're welcome.

Go to Top of Page

GMWestermeyer
Learned Scribe

USA
215 Posts

Posted - 02 May 2010 :  09:28:13  Show Profile  Visit GMWestermeyer's Homepage Send GMWestermeyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sorry if I seem ungrateful, but I did start out saying I had that list, that I had searched around the downloads sections.

And, I admit, the list itself annoys me. As a historian NOTHING drives me more crazing than work without citations. Without a citation of the works those fictional books are mentioned the list is just random letters and numbers, you could come up with a similar list of Realms books using a couple random dice tables. :(

And, of course, this place is huge and the forums themselves are huge. It's not conducive to finding things.

None of that is the Sage's fault, obviously. I suspect what I'm asking for simply doesn't exist.

I am grateful for the help. I'd put a grateful smiley here but none seem to fit. :(

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 02 May 2010 :  13:39:12  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by GMWestermeyer

And, I admit, the list itself annoys me. As a historian NOTHING drives me more crazing than work without citations. Without a citation of the works those fictional books are mentioned the list is just random letters and numbers, you could come up with a similar list of Realms books using a couple random dice tables. :(
Well, it's important to note that some of the tomes referenced simply don't have prior sources. As Steven Schend himself has said, some of those titles were generated specifically for that listing.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 02 May 2010 :  16:04:51  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm surprised that Sage didn't mention it, but Krash built upon that original list. It's here: Book List for Tomes in Candlekeep.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 02 May 2010 :  17:35:38  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

I'm surprised that Sage didn't mention it, but Krash built upon that original list. It's here: Book List for Tomes in Candlekeep.

Well, I just thought maybe GMWestermeyer had looked over that already.*

Additionally, I will note that I'm *still* [yes, still] adding to Krash's original listing, with tomes and books referenced in the more recent published Realmslore and novels.

* The Sage, who doesn't want to believe that his age might be starting to affect his memory.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000