Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Map sections
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 10

scarion
Acolyte

Denmark
1 Posts

Posted - 07 Nov 2011 :  06:58:49  Show Profile Send scarion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So, not much activity here anymore. Fantastic maps though.
Go to Top of Page

Icelander
Master of Realmslore

1864 Posts

Posted - 11 Nov 2011 :  01:23:38  Show Profile  Visit Icelander's Homepage Send Icelander a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wonderful maps. I use them a lot.

I wish I had something which combined all of these maps into one zoomable one, with a scale and preferable GoogleEarth-like functionality.

That would be a product worth paying for. Wish the Realms were owned by a small, responsive company interested in fantasy roleplaying.

Za uspiekh nashevo beznadiozhnovo diela!

Forgotten Realms fans, please sign a petition to re-release the FR Interactive Atlas
Go to Top of Page

Razz
Senior Scribe

USA
749 Posts

Posted - 20 Nov 2011 :  13:05:02  Show Profile Send Razz a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by scarion

So, not much activity here anymore. Fantastic maps though.

I know. It's so strange. He came and dropped a bunch of these off and then after a few weeks, just disappears suddenly. I wonder if he'll ever come back and update these maps and add new ones?
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 20 Nov 2011 :  19:53:08  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I will be trying my hand at maps again eventually - I really do miss it, and I should have my contents check within the next week. I am considering an Apple this time out; from what I understand, they are better for graphics, and since I am starting from scratch, now is the time to change formats.

I know this isn't precisely the right thread for this (and my apologies to Rob), but anyone comp-savvy who wants to give me some input it would be most welcome.

Anyhow, I am looking forward to a fresh start - a lot of what I created was based on my early (primitive) PS-skills, like my textures, so now I can do my own thing entirely. I'm thinking along the lines of Mike Shley's work, with textures reminiscent of, but updated from, 3e. That guy is truly a master of his craft.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 20 Nov 2011 19:53:58
Go to Top of Page

Patrakis
Learned Scribe

Canada
256 Posts

Posted - 21 Nov 2011 :  17:41:52  Show Profile Send Patrakis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Markustay,

If you contemplate a fresh start and approach this as a cartography project, I would recommend adobe illustrator as a base tool for drawing your maps. In combination with photoshop, you'll the best of both worlds. A great vector drawing tools and the best raster drawing software.

If your ambitions are purely artistic, then photoshop is enough.

I have no experience with the Mac so I can't comment on the advantages of using software dedicated to that system.

Personally, I always envisioned linking databases to my maps in the hopes of creating a GIS of an imaginary world. That's why I added a software called arcgis to the mix. I switched worlds since my first ambitions and now concentrate on Golarion for my mapping dreams. But the tools remain the same.

Consider wisely your choices cause it's not every day that we can start from scratch again. I remember your body of work and it was quite impressive.

Good luck

Pat

Dancing is like standing still, but faster.
My site: http://www.patoumonde.com
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 21 Nov 2011 :  17:57:23  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I had used Illustrator for several months before the fire, and it was a Godsend. I used to create my map icons by hand using vector graphics, and illustrator made it a three-click process - all I had to do was find the symbol I wanted and convert it. I hadn't gotten into the program much beyond that - it had a helluva learning curve (much like PS itself). I was even planning to convert the written languages in the OGB into vectors like that (and then eventually into fonts).

Thanks for the praise - your stuff was great too. I am both pleased and saddened that you have moved on to Golarion - good luck to you there. I am still fence-sitting ATM - I know way too much about FR, and too little about Pathfinder - to feel at home there. A fresh start is great, but I still want to see what they may do (or fix) in regards to the Realms. I will be subscribing to the PF material though, because it is truly excellent, and I can always use more references for my own HB world.

I will probably do one or two FR projects when I get my apps back, but most of what I do (like the Feywild project) will be for my own world. There are things I really wanted to complete, like my Nentir Vale conversion (which was finished, but never released because I was still waiting for the name of some unpublished Dwarf settlement from THO), and another conversion regarding that module with 'The One' (the dude who wound up exiled to the High Forest) - I can't even remember the name, but it fit nicely in the NE of the Hordelands. I may even want to finish my Anchorome/Laerakond conversion (for folks wanting to use the 4e fluff for Returned Abeir in the 1e/2e/3e Realms).

I've learned a valuable lesson about procrastination - sometimes there isn't a tomorrow.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 21 Nov 2011 18:05:10
Go to Top of Page

Patrakis
Learned Scribe

Canada
256 Posts

Posted - 23 Nov 2011 :  03:24:59  Show Profile Send Patrakis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi markustay,

I like fresh starts. It always brings a new perspective on things. Open one's mind to new ideas and often liberates me from old habits that refrains me from evolving. Anyway, changing worlds to focus gave me some new ideas and brought back an excitement about mapping that I had lost with the rape of the realms by wotc. (just my opinion, not stated as fact).

Golarion is becoming a really interesting world to explore and discover by the way. The material that is coming out is massive and wide in range. They have a nice novel lines that bring interesting stories that are not world shattering. They bring lore in every source books and bring back an excitement about the game. They are about to publish a book describing the solar system that the world is part of and constantly evolve. They are even about to embark on the MMO ship. They announced today the development of a mmo game based on Golarion.

I placed my collection of FR books in 18 boxes 6 months ago and don't plan on going back. I'll cherish the memories though.

Good luck on the mapping.

Pat

Go to Top of Page

Eli the Tanner
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
149 Posts

Posted - 29 Feb 2012 :  04:29:56  Show Profile  Visit Eli the Tanner's Homepage Send Eli the Tanner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
These maps are wonderful by the way, certainly the most detailed I've come across. Has there been any more talk about hosting these on the site, I'd hate for them to disappear like the mythical zoomable map did.

-Eli

Moderator of /r/Forgotten_Realms
Go to Top of Page

Eladrinstar
Learned Scribe

USA
196 Posts

Posted - 29 Feb 2012 :  04:32:20  Show Profile Send Eladrinstar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Still devastated that the only map that doesn't work anymore is the Toril one.

Edited by - Eladrinstar on 29 Feb 2012 04:32:34
Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 03 Mar 2012 :  21:54:28  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

I will be trying my hand at maps again eventually - I really do miss it, and I should have my contents check within the next week. I am considering an Apple this time out; from what I understand, they are better for graphics, and since I am starting from scratch, now is the time to change formats.

I know this isn't precisely the right thread for this (and my apologies to Rob), but anyone comp-savvy who wants to give me some input it would be most welcome.

Anyhow, I am looking forward to a fresh start - a lot of what I created was based on my early (primitive) PS-skills, like my textures, so now I can do my own thing entirely. I'm thinking along the lines of Mike Shley's work, with textures reminiscent of, but updated from, 3e. That guy is truly a master of his craft.

I don't know if you're still waiting on this, but for what you're doing, I'd totally recommend going Mac. A friend of mine who is in graphic design (and in my gaming groups) recently bought a Mac, and she loves it. If not for the fact that I have (a) three Windows PCs already (one five years old - bought and built while self-employed in computer sales and service - the other two about 10 - the relics of a home network I had when I was doing my computer tech certification courses) and (b) no money for a new computer (I think the two are connected somehow, but the size of my gaming library probably has a more significant recent (Pathfinder) contribution to the lack of money).

In closing, I'll try to get this scroll back on topic: Rob, where are you?

Playing in the Realms since the Old Grey Box (1987)... and *still* having fun with material published before 2008, despite the NDA'd lore.

If it's comparable in power with non-magical abilities, it's not magic.
Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 03 Mar 2012 :  22:02:37  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Patrakis

Hi markustay,

I like fresh starts. It always brings a new perspective on things. Open one's mind to new ideas and often liberates me from old habits that refrains me from evolving. Anyway, changing worlds to focus gave me some new ideas and brought back an excitement about mapping that I had lost with the rape of the realms by wotc. (just my opinion, not stated as fact).

Golarion is becoming a really interesting world to explore and discover by the way. The material that is coming out is massive and wide in range. They have a nice novel lines that bring interesting stories that are not world shattering. They bring lore in every source books and bring back an excitement about the game. They are about to publish a book describing the solar system that the world is part of and constantly evolve. They are even about to embark on the MMO ship. They announced today the development of a mmo game based on Golarion.

I placed my collection of FR books in 18 boxes 6 months ago and don't plan on going back. I'll cherish the memories though.

Pat

Pat: Agreed on all counts except the FR books being in boxes. Most of mine (everything from 1e and 2e) is still in my mom's basement (where else would it be? Seriously?), but still on shelves. I have four boxes of 3.x OGL books that are ready to go the next time I get back up that way (I brought five boxes down with me after my last visit), and then I will worry about the older stuff. Oh, and if you were interested in selling your older stuff, I think Mark might be interested... just a thought.

Edit: Again, back on topic: Rob, where are you?

Playing in the Realms since the Old Grey Box (1987)... and *still* having fun with material published before 2008, despite the NDA'd lore.

Edited by - Jakk on 03 Mar 2012 22:04:16
Go to Top of Page

Icelander
Master of Realmslore

1864 Posts

Posted - 03 Mar 2012 :  22:34:28  Show Profile  Visit Icelander's Homepage Send Icelander a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Eladrinstar

Seconded.

I don't even care how big it is. I wants it.

Za uspiekh nashevo beznadiozhnovo diela!

Forgotten Realms fans, please sign a petition to re-release the FR Interactive Atlas
Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 03 Mar 2012 :  23:37:40  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Icelander

quote:

Seconded.

Thirded.

What you said, Icelander, but I'll go one better... it's my preciousss...

Go to Top of Page

Patrakis
Learned Scribe

Canada
256 Posts

Posted - 08 Mar 2012 :  04:29:48  Show Profile Send Patrakis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jakk

quote:
Originally posted by Patrakis

Hi markustay,

Pat

Pat: Agreed on all counts except the FR books being in boxes. Most of mine (everything from 1e and 2e) is still in my mom's basement (where else would it be? Seriously?), but still on shelves. I have four boxes of 3.x OGL books that are ready to go the next time I get back up that way (I brought five boxes down with me after my last visit), and then I will worry about the older stuff. Oh, and if you were interested in selling your older stuff, I think Mark might be interested... just a thought.

Edit: Again, back on topic: Rob, where are you?

It's funny how things can change and opinions evolve. Since the anouncment of 5e and the possibility of some changes in the realms, hope has come back in my heart. I would never sell my books of the realms i find myself wanting to read some old modules or source books. :)

I also would like to see more maps from handsomerob

PAt

Go to Top of Page

Cassie5squared
Acolyte

United Kingdom
33 Posts

Posted - 18 Mar 2012 :  15:08:38  Show Profile Send Cassie5squared a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Icelander

quote:

Seconded.

Agreeing with all of this. Maps this detailed are perfection, and the entirety of Toril is something I mourn for never getting to see.

"Why do any of us get up in the morning? Why, for the joy and fun the day might bring us, if we're awake to see it! Up, then, and find ye fun!" - Elminster of Shadowdale

"And from the flames
As chance would have it
The Soulforged will come into light~" - Blind Guardian, "The Soulforged"
Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 21 Mar 2012 :  17:28:08  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Cassie5squared

Agreeing with all of this. Maps this detailed are perfection, and the entirety of Toril is something I mourn for never getting to see.

*sigh*... we could have seen more of Toril get detailed instead of the Spellplague, if Ed had had his way for 4e...

Anyway, been there, done that... looking forward to Ed's new FR book, the Hobbit movie, and the end of the world.

Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 21 Mar 2012 :  17:32:09  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

... and another conversion regarding that module with 'The One' (the dude who wound up exiled to the High Forest) - I can't even remember the name, but it fit nicely in the NE of the Hordelands.

Do you recall the source for this, Mark? There are a few "secrets of the High Forest" that I've been pondering over the years... the time-travelling mythal city, the time-frozen elven war party leader, the Lost Peaks... I think I've figured the Star Mounts out now.

Go to Top of Page

Snow
Learned Scribe

USA
125 Posts

Posted - 21 Mar 2012 :  18:03:06  Show Profile Send Snow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Agreed ...... these maps are extraordinary. Besides having tons of tasty minutiae and intricate details, their brightness/crispness factor makes them pleasant to view as well.
Go to Top of Page

mikie
Seeker

USA
73 Posts

Posted - 22 Mar 2012 :  02:16:12  Show Profile Send mikie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
WOW!!! VERY EXCELLENT MAPS!! They are INCREDIBLE!!
Go to Top of Page

Eladrinstar
Learned Scribe

USA
196 Posts

Posted - 22 Mar 2012 :  05:07:30  Show Profile Send Eladrinstar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I keep checking this thread again, I guess out of some naive hope that Handsome Rob will resurface and magically re-gift us with a restored version of his tragically lost Toril map.
Go to Top of Page

althen artren
Senior Scribe

USA
780 Posts

Posted - 28 May 2012 :  01:12:26  Show Profile Send althen artren a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey does anybody have a copy of the map of Myth Drannor in the final dragon magazine
resided to 8.5 by 11 or so?
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 29 May 2012 :  07:38:04  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Can't seem to find a copy on the web. Unlike Mike Shley, Rob Lazzaretti doesn't really post his stuff... much.

I did find This Map, but it doesn't have the street names like the one from Dragon.

quote:
Originally posted by Jakk

quote:

... and another conversion regarding that module with 'The One' (the dude who wound up exiled to the High Forest) - I can't even remember the name, but it fit nicely in the NE of the Hordelands.

Do you recall the source for this, Mark? There are a few "secrets of the High Forest" that I've been pondering over the years... the time-travelling mythal city, the time-frozen elven war party leader, the Lost Peaks... I think I've figured the Star Mounts out now.

Egg of Phoenix

All of 'New Empyrea' fit perfectly in the NE corner of the Hordlands, with very little modification. Considering the spellplague, century time-jump, and now going on two editions, there is even more reason to shoe-horn this adventure into FR (since some of it made it in anyway).

Some of it is silly, but most of it is pretty good - you'll just have to tweak a number of things lore-wise, but it all works. The island of Doc winds up in the Great Ice sea (along with the rest of the coastline). If nothing else, its an empty area in need of a map to flesh it out (and it also sits right on top of ancient Kalmyk ruins, which is always a plus in D&D).

Edited by - Markustay on 29 May 2012 07:40:24
Go to Top of Page

althen artren
Senior Scribe

USA
780 Posts

Posted - 29 May 2012 :  14:29:28  Show Profile Send althen artren a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Markus, I have that one. I was wanted the other due to the
layers of rubble and clear space. I just have to write with wet
erase on my laminated copy on the one you showed me.
Go to Top of Page

Razz
Senior Scribe

USA
749 Posts

Posted - 29 Jun 2012 :  22:56:26  Show Profile Send Razz a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Is it me, or did all these maps shrink in scale?
Go to Top of Page

Enthusior
Acolyte

Germany
19 Posts

Posted - 20 Jul 2012 :  11:55:19  Show Profile  Visit Enthusior's Homepage Send Enthusior a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, I found that, too.
I tried to send a PM to the most active members on this scroll, but my outbox still appears empty.
Maybe because I'm a new member and the cowled wizards blocked my attempts to cast a sending to the candlekeep-sages most high. I'm not worthy yet. :P
No but seriously, I'm craving these maps, is somebody able to retrieve them from a local computer, so they can be reuploaded?

Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 20 Jul 2012 :  15:40:28  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Razz

Is it me, or did all these maps shrink in scale?
Strangely, a few of mine did. Now that I have to donwload my own maps, I am finding the resolution has gone way down on few of them (the worst is probably my LoI blank map). I'm wondering if DeviantART or other file storing sites reduce the images when they aren't getting much traffic?

Go to Top of Page

Cleric Generic
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
565 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2012 :  21:39:41  Show Profile  Visit Cleric Generic's Homepage Send Cleric Generic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've got most of Handsome Rob's maps on my HD and they appear to be the original size. I'll see if I can get them up here somehow. Is there any way we can get them hosted properly in the Map Gallery or whatever it's called?

EDIT: ok, I've got them all up on 4shared, now I just have to figure out how to get a link to the damn things...

Cedric! The Cleric Generic and Master of Disguise!

ALL HAIL LORD KARSUS!!!

Vast Realmslore Archive: Get in here and download everything! http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/archfr/rl

2e Realms book PDFs; grab em! - http://poleandrope.blogspot.com/2010/07/working-around-purge.html

Edited by - Cleric Generic on 22 Jul 2012 22:17:15
Go to Top of Page

Enthusior
Acolyte

Germany
19 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2012 :  22:17:09  Show Profile  Visit Enthusior's Homepage Send Enthusior a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That would make my day!
Go to Top of Page

Cleric Generic
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
565 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2012 :  22:27:26  Show Profile  Visit Cleric Generic's Homepage Send Cleric Generic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh bum... 4shared doesn't seem to want to cooperate. I'll keep fiddling with it, but I can email everything to anyone with whose email can handle a 140mb file.

EDIT: ah, I've been told that 4shared may take a while to ensure that I've not just uploaded a bunch of pictures of my penis, so we'll see what happens in a day or so.

Cedric! The Cleric Generic and Master of Disguise!

ALL HAIL LORD KARSUS!!!

Vast Realmslore Archive: Get in here and download everything! http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/archfr/rl

2e Realms book PDFs; grab em! - http://poleandrope.blogspot.com/2010/07/working-around-purge.html

Edited by - Cleric Generic on 22 Jul 2012 22:34:12
Go to Top of Page

Darkmeer
Senior Scribe

USA
505 Posts

Posted - 23 Jul 2012 :  04:33:13  Show Profile  Visit Darkmeer's Homepage Send Darkmeer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Cleric Generic

Oh bum... 4shared doesn't seem to want to cooperate. I'll keep fiddling with it, but I can email everything to anyone with whose email can handle a 140mb file.

EDIT: ah, I've been told that 4shared may take a while to ensure that I've not just uploaded a bunch of pictures of my penis, so we'll see what happens in a day or so.

Okay... waiting to make sure I didn't miss any of the maps HR set out for us. Thank you for sharing.

"These people are my family, not just friends, and if you want to get to them you gotta go through ME."
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 10 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000