Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Map sections
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 10

HandsomeRob
Seeker

68 Posts

Posted - 26 May 2010 :  00:38:46  Show Profile  Visit HandsomeRob's Homepage Send HandsomeRob a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's from here:
http://markustay.deviantart.com/gallery/#/d1xuip9

Probably shouldn't have used that one, though. Perhaps the I'll fix that region up a bit for the next version.

-Rob

Visit Sorol today: http://sorol.wikispaces.com
Go to Top of Page

Joran Nobleheart
Senior Scribe

USA
495 Posts

Posted - 26 May 2010 :  03:19:00  Show Profile  Visit Joran Nobleheart's Homepage Send Joran Nobleheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you for the map of Evermeet, Rob.

Paladinic Ethos
Saint Joran Nobleheart
Go to Top of Page

HunterOfStorms
Acolyte

Australia
21 Posts

Posted - 26 May 2010 :  03:28:41  Show Profile  Visit HunterOfStorms's Homepage Send HunterOfStorms a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey Rob,
Great maps, love the texture and detail. Would it be at all possible to get one of this general area:
Took the corner landmarks from viewing the Zoomify map :)
NW corner - Endless Sea coast
NE - Nakvaliga
SW - Tilverton (if this makes it too big, the alternate landmark is Rulvadar)
SE - Kielbast (as above, alt is Tellerth)

It would be fantastic to have this area as one view for a change, without having to try to piece together different maps from different editions products.

Thanks,
Hunter
Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 26 May 2010 :  09:13:40  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dragonfriend

Why is the neck between the dragonmere and the sea of fallen stars so thin? nearly a river. So different from the original 3e Faerun map .

Just curious, thanks

quote:
Originally posted by HandsomeRob

It's from here:

Probably shouldn't have used that one, though. Perhaps the I'll fix that region up a bit for the next version.

-Rob

I was curious about that too, but I decided that reporting typos and other definite errors were more important, and I didn't want to hit you with too much "this needs changing" all at once, so it kept getting bumped off the list... not that I'm not a perfectionist, just that I try to exercise moderation in my perfectionist tendencies with respect to other people's work.

Playing in the Realms since the Old Grey Box (1987)... and *still* having fun with material published before 2008, despite the NDA'd lore.

If it's comparable in power with non-magical abilities, it's not magic.
Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 26 May 2010 :  10:05:32  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by HunterOfStorms

Hey Rob,
Great maps, love the texture and detail. Would it be at all possible to get one of this general area:
Took the corner landmarks from viewing the Zoomify map :)
NW corner - Endless Sea coast
NE - Nakvaliga
SW - Tilverton (if this makes it too big, the alternate landmark is Rulvadar)
SE - Kielbast (as above, alt is Tellerth)

It would be fantastic to have this area as one view for a change, without having to try to piece together different maps from different editions products.

Thanks,
Hunter

Rob already has a "Great Glacier" map section posted in this thread... I, for one, would love to have the areas to both the west (the Tortured Land to the western edge of Anauroch, north to the coast, would be ideal) and the east (Uldfest and Hoarbridge east to the coast of Yal Tengri, south to the eastern arm of Icelace Lake) of the Great Glacier.

Hunter, that should give you the missing part you're looking for. From there, it's just a matter of using Paint (or a better program) to stitch the two to four maps together, and since they're all from the same source, you don't need to worry about the "different editions" factor.

For me, Sossal and Hartsvale were always the most interesting parts of the far North, I think in large part because so little was published about them.

Rob: If you're feeling generous, the rest of that western north coast (to the Reghed Glacier, south to the Spine of the World and the Ice Mountains) would be wonderful.

One more request/bug fix: I was perusing the Zoomify map, and I noticed that Thindol is named three times, with the different instances overlapping and crossing each other. I'm guessing that this is a consequence of how you worked on the region. If that could be quickly fixed, the middle of the Chultan peninsula (east to Ithmong, west to Samarach) would also be delightful. I'm working on some yuan-ti and sarrukh backstory in that region...

Many thanks for this epic work, Rob! Looking forward to seeing Athas as well!

Playing in the Realms since the Old Grey Box (1987)... and *still* having fun with material published before 2008, despite the NDA'd lore.

Edited by - Jakk on 26 May 2010 10:09:52
Go to Top of Page

Razz
Senior Scribe

USA
749 Posts

Posted - 27 May 2010 :  00:25:52  Show Profile Send Razz a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Some road names are missing. At least on the Zoomified Map, I don't know if the regions are more detailed in the solo-maps?

For example, the road between Blackfeather Bridge and Scardale Town is unnamed, but it is actually known as the Ashaba Road. The road to the west of that is also missing a name, the Tassel Way.
Go to Top of Page

Razz
Senior Scribe

USA
749 Posts

Posted - 27 May 2010 :  01:15:14  Show Profile Send Razz a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I wonder if this was develop into a "Complete Forgotten Realms" world map? As in every overland map from every product has the sites listed on here in one big reference?(for the 3e era, of course)
Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 27 May 2010 :  01:39:31  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I suspect that's impossible, but I'm trying to help Rob get as close to that as possible.

Edit: Good catch on those road names, Razz!

Edited by - Jakk on 27 May 2010 01:40:21
Go to Top of Page

HunterOfStorms
Acolyte

Australia
21 Posts

Posted - 27 May 2010 :  04:19:15  Show Profile  Visit HunterOfStorms's Homepage Send HunterOfStorms a Private Message  Reply with Quote
snipped for space
quote:
Originally posted by Jakk

Rob already has a "Great Glacier" map section posted in this thread... I, for one, would love to have the areas to both the west (the Tortured Land to the western edge of Anauroch, north to the coast, would be ideal) and the east (Uldfest and Hoarbridge east to the coast of Yal Tengri, south to the eastern arm of Icelace Lake) of the Great Glacier.

Hunter, that should give you the missing part you're looking for. From there, it's just a matter of using Paint (or a better program) to stitch the two to four maps together, and since they're all from the same source, you don't need to worry about the "different editions" factor.

Thanks Jakk, but the Pelvuria-greatglacier map does not encompass the area I'd like. But yes, I could stitch together bits from 3 or 4 maps to get what I need for our campaign - I'm being lazy

cheers,
Hunter
Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 27 May 2010 :  07:40:26  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A confession I can readily sympathize with. I'm just saying that if Rob could give us those two new sections, you'd get everything you need too. I've been assembling them as they're released, and I have a map of most of Faerun and Kara-Tur that's about 11K by 6K pixels. It's great, but I'm hoping that we'll see the finished product released at the original (double size) scale. It'll definitely have to be broken up, but that's already been discussed.

I may have to open up a new scroll for geographical questions sparked by perusal of this map... I'm finding new gems all the time...

Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 27 May 2010 :  18:37:24  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Speaking of new gems... as mentioned in the Zoomify scroll... if that update to Zakhara is done, any chance we could peruse that region? Yes, I know I've just ranted about the rectangular archipelago in the Zoomify scroll, but at least that clearly delineates the E/S/W boundaries for the clip... and the northern boundary is easy: The Teeth and the Beowood.

Quick question about the source for the geography and locations (particularly the latter) to the north and east of the Yikarian Empire... specifically Herne's Wood and Konigheim. I'm suspecting a Zakharan product, but I have none of those to hand at the moment.

Thanks again! Off to swim with the sharks... hopefully I'll have something resembling a first draft for the sahuagin by the end of my day.

Go to Top of Page

Marco Volo
Learned Scribe

France
201 Posts

Posted - 28 May 2010 :  15:24:31  Show Profile Send Marco Volo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Probably the smallest map I've been asked for yet:
Evermeet: http://img692.imageshack.us/img692/2452/evermeet.jpg

And possibly the biggest:
Sea of Fallen Stars: http://img156.imageshack.us/img156/6685/fallenstars.jpg

Enjoy!
-Rob

Thanks a lot, that's a great job !!
Congratulations !
Go to Top of Page

HandsomeRob
Seeker

68 Posts

Posted - 28 May 2010 :  15:27:46  Show Profile  Visit HandsomeRob's Homepage Send HandsomeRob a Private Message  Reply with Quote
New maps:
Far North: http://img179.imageshack.us/img179/9351/farnorth.jpg
Serpent Kingdoms: http://img576.imageshack.us/img576/8350/serpentkingdoms.jpg
Zakhara: http://img215.imageshack.us/img215/2074/zakhara.jpg

I hope these three will cover the requests!

quote:
Quick question about the source for the geography and locations (particularly the latter) to the north and east of the Yikarian Empire... specifically Herne's Wood and Konigheim. I'm suspecting a Zakharan product, but I have none of those to hand at the moment.

A few years back MarkusTay and some others were working on an "Utter East" project over on the Wizards boards. They found a number of obscure sources detailing the region (one of them was a video game) and managed to put a map together of what was known. The map can actually be found in the Map Room here, and the project thread is here:
http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19848754/Utter_East_Campaign__MAP!!!

-Rob

Go to Top of Page

Cleric Generic
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
565 Posts

Posted - 28 May 2010 :  15:55:34  Show Profile  Visit Cleric Generic's Homepage Send Cleric Generic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yay! More awesome!

IT would appear, however, that the Far North link is mucked up. It only loads a thin strip of the top of the map.

Cedric! The Cleric Generic and Master of Disguise!

ALL HAIL LORD KARSUS!!!

Vast Realmslore Archive: Get in here and download everything! http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/archfr/rl

2e Realms book PDFs; grab em! - http://poleandrope.blogspot.com/2010/07/working-around-purge.html
Go to Top of Page

HandsomeRob
Seeker

68 Posts

Posted - 28 May 2010 :  16:21:56  Show Profile  Visit HandsomeRob's Homepage Send HandsomeRob a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Cleric Generic

Yay! More awesome!

IT would appear, however, that the Far North link is mucked up. It only loads a thin strip of the top of the map.

Hmm, I get the whole thing. It only goes down to the Moonsea...

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 28 May 2010 :  17:07:18  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wonderful work on the Serpent Kingdoms [most long-time scribes should know I've a particular love for all-things-scaly folk] map, Rob. Simply wonderful!

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 28 May 2010 17:08:42
Go to Top of Page

Cleric Generic
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
565 Posts

Posted - 28 May 2010 :  17:11:43  Show Profile  Visit Cleric Generic's Homepage Send Cleric Generic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Hmm, I get the whole thing. It only goes down to the Moonsea...

Ah, it's behaving itself now. I'll have to have a word with the internet fairies...

Cedric! The Cleric Generic and Master of Disguise!

ALL HAIL LORD KARSUS!!!

Vast Realmslore Archive: Get in here and download everything! http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/archfr/rl

2e Realms book PDFs; grab em! - http://poleandrope.blogspot.com/2010/07/working-around-purge.html
Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 29 May 2010 :  00:54:20  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

Wonderful work on the Serpent Kingdoms [most long-time scribes should know I've a particular love for all-things-scaly folk] map, Rob. Simply wonderful!

I share The Sage's affection for such things, particularly nagas, yuan-ti, and the Sarrukh themselves... once Osse is detailed to our satisfaction, I have a scalykind project in Chult and Katashaka to return to in depth; I'm continuing to jot down ideas here and there, but Osse is my focus right now; if I try to split my focus, bad things happen (it's the psychological equivalent of splitting the atom). Many thanks for the map sections, Rob!

Edited by - Jakk on 29 May 2010 00:58:06
Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 29 May 2010 :  03:48:09  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
With those two recent monster-sections (the Far North and the Sea of Fallen Stars) I've started stitching the sections together from scratch again... this time my output file is JPEG, which is making the process a heck of a lot easier than before (because MSPaint defaults to Bitmap, and that was what was causing all my headaches regarding file size and out-of-memory issues). I feel like an idiot for not realizing that before.

Edit: Apparently, this does not solve any problems. With MSPaint, I'm running out of memory with a 9.71MB JPEG file just the same as with a 198MB bitmap file... I am unable to paste T'u Lung, the Yehimals, or Zakhara into the map at all...

Advice from anyone experienced in working with large image files is welcome at this point... I suspect I just need a graphics editor NOT coded by the Windows programming team... M$ code is a recipe for memory-use bloat every time.

Edited by - Jakk on 29 May 2010 05:56:10
Go to Top of Page

Razz
Senior Scribe

USA
749 Posts

Posted - 29 May 2010 :  05:55:39  Show Profile Send Razz a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Edit: Good catch on those road names, Razz!

Yeah, I opened up, I believe, my copy of "The Dalelands" and "Volo's Guide to the Dalelands" (it was in one of those two) to see if they were named. I didn't think they were part of Rauthyvyr's Road since he was trying to cut a road through Cormanthor, split intersections not away from it.

I have almost every FR RPG book (even the hard-to-find Volo's Guide to Baldur's Gate one) in case...

Now I know many FR novels have, yet, more official maps of the sites located within their respective stories not found anywhere else. If only we had our hands on all of those.
Go to Top of Page

Razz
Senior Scribe

USA
749 Posts

Posted - 29 May 2010 :  06:08:59  Show Profile Send Razz a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmm, on The Far North map in the Reghed Glacier region, I believe a few sites are missing. Maybe several. To the northwest of Luskan is a town, located halfway between Fireshear and the Iceflow, called Auckney, right on the coastline. It was a location Wulfgar went to in the "Spine of the World" novel.

But on the FR Atlas, Auckney is shown to the northwest of Fireshear. Not sure which is official.

The road from Luskan to Hundelstone is known as the The Northern Means. The road going Hundelstone to Ten Towns is known as Ten Trails. The road from Fireshear to Ironmaster is Iron Trail.

The Reghed Glacier has two areas known as Print's Floe, and Icingdeath's Lair is also missing.

Where Black Raven River and Mirar River meet, on the east side, is a town called Orglaunt. Just a tiny bit northwest of Raven Rock is Frost Keep.

I haven't checked the rest out, but just thought I'd point out that region for now.

Most of this I found on the FR Atlas. Do you have a copy? Or is this map a rough draft?

Edited by - Razz on 29 May 2010 06:10:16
Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 30 May 2010 :  04:35:49  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Speaking of Icingdeath's lair... when I was looking through the Cormyr-Dalelands map, Aghazstamn's lair was the only one of the three Spellfire dracolich lairs I could find... I was sure that Ms. Fonstad's FR Atlas had all three dracolich lairs marked... Am I misremembering this?

Edit: A note on the location of Ondathel / Myth Ondath: From Volo's Guide to All Things Magical:
quote:
Shortly after the fall of the Netherese survivor states, a group of pacifistic refugees from the city of Rulvadar, fleeing goblin raiders from the south, made their way north and east to the desolate wastelands known today as the Tortured Lands. Amidst the mountains at the northern extent of the Border Forest, northwest of present-day Whitehorn, the refugees encountered the descendants of a culture dedicated to inner peace and tranquillity which existed during the time of Netheril. Together the two groups founded Ondathel, City of Peace. Dedicated to Eldath, the city prospered and cared for its hardworking citizens. After a mere century of hard work, Ondathel was pronounced a shining success, and its citizens were justifiably proud of all they had wrought. Over 200 years after the city's founding, the wizards and priests of Ondathel erected a powerful mythal and the city was renamed Myth Ondath.

The account of the founding of Ondathel is somewhat contradictory; the GHotR says that Ondathel was the elven city of Yrlaancel renamed, but there is no mention of elves in the VGtATM account. Anyway, if Myth Ondath was in those mountains and near the Border Forest, it must have been at the western end of those mountains... and I know those mountains have a name too; brb...

Back; the name of the mountains are the White Peaks. Myth Ondath (formerly Ondathel, formerly Yrlaancel) was a city of the elven realm of Rystall Wood, the remains of which are the Border Forest (which would have extended to the White Peaks as well as westward into what is now Anauroch at the time of the realm's flourishing). Because several authoritative sources (names can be found searching CK for "White Peaks" and "Myth Ondath") describe the city as being "in the mountains" I'm inclined to place it at the western end of the White Peaks; that's as close to "in the mountains" as an ancient elven city would have been, and we know that Myth Ondath (Ondathel) was at least built on the ruins of Yrlaancel, if not continually inhabited in a transition between the two names. So there's another location for your map, Rob. I'm still hoping to learn something from Ed regarding Myth Unnohyr, but NDAs are at their strongest when there's no reason to maintain them.

Edited by - Jakk on 30 May 2010 05:15:22
Go to Top of Page

louis_bowwow
Acolyte

14 Posts

Posted - 14 Jul 2010 :  23:37:35  Show Profile  Visit louis_bowwow's Homepage Send louis_bowwow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Are you still taking requests? I was unable to see your zoomify map so I would like to see Katashaka and Anchorome. Or if anyone else has them that would be cool. Thank you.

Edited by - louis_bowwow on 14 Jul 2010 23:38:36
Go to Top of Page

Razz
Senior Scribe

USA
749 Posts

Posted - 17 Jul 2010 :  20:56:27  Show Profile Send Razz a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Can something like this be stickied? It keeps getting buried and is a very good resource. Or maybe make a "Forgotten Realms Maps" thread with each mapmaker putting their maps up for use?
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 17 Jul 2010 :  22:46:47  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by dragonfriend

Why is the neck between the dragonmere and the sea of fallen stars so thin? nearly a river. So different from the original 3e Faerun map .

Just curious, thanks

quote:

It's from here:

-Rob

I was curious about that too, but I decided that reporting typos and other definite errors were more important, and I didn't want to hit you with too much "this needs changing" all at once, so it kept getting bumped off the list... not that I'm not a perfectionist, just that I try to exercise moderation in my perfectionist tendencies with respect to other people's work.

When I rotated my original, in order to get the coastlines and much else to go back to 'the way things were', several things got fudge in the process, as I pasted back in some places (like Turmish) which weren't rotated.

However, the Dragonmere was always a 'seperate sea', and the neck connecting the two was always supposed to be very narrow, ergo I took the liberty to 'correct it', and make it more like I pictured it should be, when reading various sources about it.

It was narrower in 1e/2e, though perhaps not as narrow as I made it. The whole sea of Fallen stars got much smaller on my version. Take it as 'artistic license' - I just thought a tighter channel would be more interesting game-wise.

Also consider - I was ahead of my time. That map actually works MUCH better for 4e, where the coasts have shifted some 50(?) miles inland. Marsember and suzail are somehow still on the coast - wonder who cast that city-moving magic.

Dwarves, trenches, and some major engineering projects after the SP I'm thinking, which are never mentioned anywhere, but I won't turn yet-another thread into a '4e WTF?' thread. suffice it to say that both their harbors should be inland bays connected to the sea by manmade channels.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 17 Jul 2010 23:08:44
Go to Top of Page

althen artren
Senior Scribe

USA
780 Posts

Posted - 24 Jul 2010 :  21:43:39  Show Profile Send althen artren a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't know if anybody else is having this trouble,
but some of the links are dead.
Go to Top of Page

Razz
Senior Scribe

USA
749 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2010 :  22:40:54  Show Profile Send Razz a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Important question, at what scale are these maps? There a scale key that can be posted?
Go to Top of Page

muddy_chickn
Acolyte

1 Posts

Posted - 16 Oct 2010 :  05:27:06  Show Profile  Visit muddy_chickn's Homepage Send muddy_chickn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just found this thread...great stuff. I haven't seen anyone mention it, but fantastic work on the maps :)

Anyway, I've been putting them together in PS and was just wondering if you were going to put out the rest of them? I've got a few blank spots here & there.

Thanks for all of your hard work so far.
Go to Top of Page

GreatInca
Acolyte

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 21 Dec 2010 :  01:56:32  Show Profile  Visit GreatInca's Homepage Send GreatInca a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Can you make two giant sections of the sword coast? One for the north half and one for the south half?
Go to Top of Page

GreatInca
Acolyte

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 21 Dec 2010 :  01:57:08  Show Profile  Visit GreatInca's Homepage Send GreatInca a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Better yet, the whole sword coast in one giant map.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 10 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000